• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Kibbles

TXB gave it a 9.8, GiantBomb a 5/5.

TXB says the texture issues go away if you install it to your Hard Drive. I'm installing :D Other reviews should have noted that...

Also, WHERE ARE PICS/VIDS OF THE CLASSIC MAPS? =(

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
:(

So sad.

Came home from being gone this weekend to find my internet connection at home not working.

FiOS had provided me with 2.5 years of solid performance until today. Gears week, of all weeks. :(

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I don't know about you guys, but the Golden weapons look really cool. :lol

Granted, I may not use it much (or at all) in matchmaking, but in Horde? All that Gold.

Aladuf

Banned
Domino Theory said:
I don't know about you guys, but the Golden weapons look really cool. :lol

Granted, I may not use it much (or at all) in matchmaking, but in Horde? All that Gold.
THANK YOU! This is exactly how I feel. :lol

whitehawk said:
At times, the lancer looks hideous :lol :lol

poop933.jpg

Go to 4:00 - http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/22403
Yeah... No thanks. I don't think I'm ever going to be selecting a gold weapon.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sailor said:
But how else are you gonna flex your e-peen?

Seriously, I mean, when you're using a Gold Lancer and you're in a chainsaw duel, within the 3 seconds it takes for a duel, you could be thinking:

"Bitch, you may out-B button me, but just remember when I die, I am still a P.I.M.P"

Sailor

Domino Theory said:
Seriously, I mean, when you're using a Gold Lancer and you're in a chainsaw duel, within the 3 seconds it takes for a duel, you could be thinking:

"Bitch, you may out-B button me, but just remember when I die, I am still a P.I.M.P"

:lol So true.

Darklord

Banned
Why did IGN give 9.5 in graphics but even state it has Texture and framerate issues?

Awesome shiny graphics > texture pop-ups and shitty framerates? What?

Aladuf

Banned
Darklord said:
Why did IGN give 9.5 in graphics but even state it has Texture and framerate issues?

I think they said that the pop in was minimal and the framerate only really dropped at one point. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Darklord said:

i think he said the frame rate only drops significantly at one point in the game.

and pop in textures hardly take away from the beauty of the game. two seconds, pop in, lame but it still looks great.

pr0cs

TemplaerDude said:
gears of war never had 4 player co op and gears of war 2 never announced anything more than 2 player co op. where have you been for a few years?
not to mention nearly every damn gaming website today has their gears2 review front and center.

coop for > 2 exists for everything except campaign.

FrankT

Aladuf said:
I think they said that the pop in was minimal and the framerate only really dropped at one point. Doesn't seem too bad to me.

Aye, as I thought framerate was supposed to be one of it's strong suits. Heck, even at E3 IGN giving this the tech award said it was very good IIRC. One is a big to do about nothing.

jet1911 said:
Is the photo mode available in the singleplayer too?
No. The photo feature is for when you're playing a gametype where you only spawn once per round to help pass the time while you're waiting.

guise

TemplaerDude said:
gears of war never had 4 player co op and gears of war 2 never announced anything more than 2 player co op. where have you been for a few years?

Since the very early previews where "4-5 player co-op" was announced i have been avoiding all previews/reviews/media, so I assumed it was campaign co-op. Not really a deal breaker, but i always thought gears was perfect for 4 man co-op so its disappointing to hear

guise said:
Since the very early previews where "4-5 player co-op" was announced i have been avoiding all previews/reviews/media, so I assumed it was campaign co-op. Not really a deal breaker, but i always thought gears was perfect for 4 man co-op so its disappointing to hear
4-5 player co-op, was that really "announced"? I think epic never made any definite statements...

Kibbles

Darklord said:

Minimal popins which can easily be fixed 100% by installing the game to your HDD, and the framerate is fine, it just dips a little at big scenes where there are hundreds of Locusts running around on screen firing and some giant character models
Brumak riding through giant waves of locusts
, but it's nothing game wrecking. I'm installing on my HDD right away (oh shit, nvm... have to wait until NXE is released >.<) so I can experience the game with no texture pop-ins :D

Also the pics I posted are from official media :S

NeXuSDK

Kibbles said:
TXB says the texture issues go away if you install it to your Hard Drive. I'm installing :D Other reviews should have noted that...

Not true. The first thing I did when I received my retail copy this saturday was to install it and when loading a MP map or loading a new campaign level, there will still be lo-res textures intially, but we're talking very low transition times for them to swtich to hi-res.

Fortunately, it's now a much more smoother and better looking transition (actually fading from lo-res to hi-res), making it less obvious.

didn't Cliffy B say that there will be something in store for those who bought Gears 1, any word on what it was?

and is it still necessary to have the Gears 1 Dled maps on the HD anymore?

Top Bottom