• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

bumpkin said:
*high fives*

I miss the good ol' days playing with you, Aladuf, ThirdEngine, Nub Cakes and a few others. Those were good times!

Those were the good ol' days of Gears 2. Playing with friends online and being able to joke about the shittiness of the game makes it fun.

Hootie

The deleted chapter was actually very fun. My friend and I played in on Hardcore and had a great time. The last battle was pretty crazy though :lol

bumpkin

NubCakes09 said:
Those were the good ol' days of Gears 2. Playing with friends online and being able to joke about the shittiness of the game makes it fun.
Do you still have the game? Any idea about the rest of the crew?

Llyranor

h3ro said:
For those that have bought it already, I'm assuming the download of the All Fronts pack is all in one download. Can you delete the prior content since it's already contained in the big file?

Meaning can I delete my Flashback download since the maps are contained in the All Fronts file as well?
You can delete Flashback, yes. All Fronts is a 700-800 megs single download.
Hootie said:
The deleted chapter was actually very fun. My friend and I played in on Hardcore and had a great time. The last battle was pretty crazy though :lol
Yeah, pretty short and sweet. Sneaking around was enjoyable (though nothing particularly deep), and the last fight was pretty fun.

Jhoan

I too only play Horde. It's the best mode that game has. I love it. Public Horde's pretty solid, for the most part. I have yet to reach wave 50; only wave 30. EDIT: if anyone wants to Horde then add me GT: Neoblaze181. I don't have any of the new DLC maps at the moment.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
bumpkin said:

Third and I still have it. I won't be downloading the new stuff tho (and I don't think Third is either). I'm addicted to Battlefield 1943 at the moment (*cough* dedicated servers *cough*). We jumped on a week ago, played one match, and called it quits.

I can't bring myself to trade in the game for some reason. There's a naive part of me that still expects them to fix the game, I guess.

h3ro

Just went through the add on chapter twice on Insane. The stealth amounted to wait for the Locust to walk one way and then run really fast past where he was. The add on is OK, cool underground Locust environments, similar to Ruins and the new Way Station, nothing special though, good thing it comes with new maps as well, as they look pretty nice.

For those mentioning the old crew, I messaged Aladuf on PSN yesterday, he said he's done with Gears so no go with him either. It's a shame that Epic/MS never totally ironed out the online issues, especially after going back to earlier in this thread and reading about the awesome times we all had in November doing epic and long ass Horde runs.

...Good times. :D

Falagard

This might have been answered, but is there a playlist for the new maps, or do you just have to hope that people have them while you're in a particular game type playlist like Annex or whatever?

mattso

Falagard said:
This might have been answered, but is there a playlist for the new maps, or do you just have to hope that people have them while you're in a particular game type playlist like Annex or whatever?
there is a playlist for the maps

I've played 4 of them so far and they're pretty fun.

mattso

is it just me or are the little achievement pics for beating the deleted chapter ugly as sin

0Gdsb2JhbC9DDht0GltTWTJEL2FjaC8wLzQ3AAAAAAAAAP+fE94=.jpg

0Wdsb2JhbC81Dht0GltTWTJEL2FjaC8wLzRBAAAAAAAAAP7mEoI=.jpg

it looks like they copy+pasted their faces on

bumpkin said:

I still have it, and if I'm on and you wanna play, toss me an invite. As RSTEIN said he and third still have it, and I have no idea about Aladuf.

Hootie

Played the shit out of the new maps with Horde...Nowhere is awesome! the area on top of the main building is the perfect place to make a stand.

Sanctuary is also a great map for horde, though Highway is pretty shitty.

mattso

Matchmaking is being pretty meh tonight. Other than that I've been having fun with these new maps.

I need to find people to play horde with

I finished reading Gears of War Aspho Fields the other day. I thought the book was godawful. But it made me want to go back and finish Gears of War 1. Now I just want to say that I played Gears 2 first and I'd give it a 9/10.

I'd give Gears of War 1 a 7/10.

+ I really enjoyed the music. It's much better than the second game.
+ The shooting is very solid and fun.
+ Loved the Longshot. I used that gun for 90% of the game.
- I hated the driving stage.
- The corpser boss was pathetically easy, while General Ramm was bullshit.
- The teammate A.I. is one of the worst A.I. ever in a videogame. Dom was absolutely worthless and would get killed in EVERY fight.
- Story and dialogue was a joke.

The OST for gears 1 is amazing, I prefer it over the sequel's music also.

I also prefer the darker shadows of the first game which make the game look more seedy, many areas in the second one look like the artist was using his monitor at 0 contrast and did not realise how bright and pale some of the areas were looking to other people.

*edit* silly question but can the dlc chapter be played in co-op over the internet or is it local only?

I was playing public Horde with the new content last night. I wish there was an option for just Horde on the Dark Corners maps. Only once did a Dark Corners Map show up - and it was great. I played through the Deleted Chapter by myself later and had fun doing the Stealth run. I would definitely want a partner to go through it Guns Blazing.

Kydd BlaZe

Getting back into the swing of things here. Thing is, all of my friends have moved on to other games. I need a co-op partner to run through the Dark Corners chapter with, as well as some hardcore players willing to run through some Horde and get in on some Matchmaking action.

There seems to be a shotgun/dom bug in the dlc extra chapter, my shotgun was doing no damage, not even a blood splat and my bullets were going through the locust like they were not there. Thankfully the other guns worked, and no it was not lag, my bullets were ignoring the locust.

Looks like even the dlc is broken. Oh what a shame epic.

bumpkin

NubCakes09 said:
I still have it, and if I'm on and you wanna play, toss me an invite. As RSTEIN said he and third still have it, and I have no idea about Aladuf.
Yeah, we'll definitely have to play some games soon. To be honest I haven't even downloaded TU4 yet. I played a few games of Horde and some Annex after TU3, but that was pretty much it. I'm crazy rusty. I blame the weeks upon weeks of playing Resident Evil 5 after it came out; it fucked up my Gears mojo.

bumpkin said:
Yeah, we'll definitely have to play some games soon. To be honest I haven't even downloaded TU4 yet. I played a few games of Horde and some Annex after TU3, but that was pretty much it. I'm crazy rusty. I blame the weeks upon weeks of playing Resident Evil 5 after it came out; it fucked up my Gears mojo.

I played some matches with Ergo last night, and I was pretty bad. Most likely due to the combination of TU4 and not having played for a couple of months.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I finished reading Gears of War Aspho Fields the other day. I thought the book was godawful. But it made me want to go back and finish Gears of War 1. Now I just want to say that I played Gears 2 first and I'd give it a 9/10.

I'd give Gears of War 1 a 7/10.

+ I really enjoyed the music. It's much better than the second game.
+ The shooting is very solid and fun.
+ Loved the Longshot. I used that gun for 90% of the game.
- I hated the driving stage.
- The corpser boss was pathetically easy, while General Ramm was bullshit.
- The teammate A.I. is one of the worst A.I. ever in a videogame. Dom was absolutely worthless and would get killed in EVERY fight.
- Story and dialogue was a joke.

Yeah, I think 2 is much better than 1 in most areas, the music is the main thing I'd say 1 had over it. I know people were disappointed in the final "boss" in 2, or how Skorge was easy and not really what people expected, but I still preferred that to RAAM who was a brick wall right at the end of otherwise fun act.

Anyway, I got the maps and I always just play bot matches to get a feel for them before I go online(bots are something more games need again :mad:), and they're all pretty good. I like how they don't have a central theme like the last two packs, and they seem a lot darker themed and kinda remind me of Gears 1. I haven't played them online yet, but I also dl'd TU4 when I got the maps and noticed from the bot matches that the smoke nades don't ragdoll, that seems like a great change since the ragdoll took forever at times and never really made since anyway.

Teknoman

Papercuts said:
Yeah, I think 2 is much better than 1 in most areas, the music is the main thing I'd say 1 had over it. I know people were disappointed in the final "boss" in 2, or how Skorge was easy and not really what people expected, but I still preferred that to RAAM who was a brick wall right at the end of otherwise fun act.

Anyway, I got the maps and I always just play bot matches to get a feel for them before I go online(bots are something more games need again :mad:), and they're all pretty good. I like how they don't have a central theme like the last two packs, and they seem a lot darker themed and kinda remind me of Gears 1. I haven't played them online yet, but I also dl'd TU4 when I got the maps and noticed from the bot matches that the smoke nades don't ragdoll, that seems like a great change since the ragdoll took forever at times and never really made since anyway.

Yup no more smoke traps. Was going to just save my points for TMNT but UBI might have messed that up.

-PXG-

Is it me, or is the net code even worse than what it was with TU3? I haven't had ONE good match since TU4 or the release of the new maps. This game is un-fucking-playable. This is beyond lame...

The new maps are awesome, but no fun when the game lags to fucking hell.

mr stroke

picked up All Fronts after not playing this since last year and holly shit I forgot how long the damn match making takes sometimes :lol

5 min waits :O

new maps are solid though.

edit-10-15 min waits, wtf

Haven't played the Deleted scene yet, but I have been playing a lot of the Dark Corners playlist, i really like All Fathers and Highway map. I am loving the double XP too:D

Had some fun playing public Horde last night on Waystation (made it to level 20) and All Fathers Garden (made it to level 30). The automatic re-party worked well when we all lagged out of a game. Good times.

REV 09

mr stroke said:
picked up All Fronts after not playing this since last year and holly shit I forgot how long the damn match making takes sometimes :lol

5 min waits :O

new maps are solid though.

edit-10-15 min waits, wtf
if it takes more than 3 minutes then you should back out and try again. 5min waits haven't happened for me since a month after the game's release.

Jinjo

You can delete them. I already had my Flashback maps, but I deleted it and can still play them through the All Fronts pack.

Nowhere and Sanctuary are my favourite new maps. The Snowblind maps are cool too. Need more playtime with the Combustible maps though, but there's just too many new maps! (when, like me, you haven't played any of the previous packages)

mernst23

Sticking to MP as long as double XP week is going on, but my ranking of the new maps:

Highway
Memorial
Way Station
War Machine(Boomshot killed this map)
Sanctuary
Allfathers Garden
Nowhere (hate this map, and don't understand why anyone likes it)

goldenpp72

Seems so, am I allowed to quit in horde mode without losing exp? The fucking host keeps on pausing it AND im stuck in the loss screen with no option to end the game until he starts it again..

Joe Graf confirmed on the official forums that they held a meeting today regarding playlist changes.

They need to have a Player's Choice playlist that is only available if you have all 29 maps. That would be awesome.

so 80% of the thread is bitching about the game does not work properly and you people still buy map packs ? no wonder Epic is not giving a shit about fixing multiplayer.

-PXG-

Unregistered007 said:
so 80% of the thread is bitching about the game does not work properly and you people still buy map packs ? no wonder Epic is not giving a shit about fixing multiplayer.

It's inconsistent. Sometimes it's great, while sometimes it's awful. There is something about the game and everything in it, that keeps me from selling, trading it in or just putting it down. Plus, I have a close friend who works for Epic. I give him shit all the time. I do it in a polite way, but still make it clear that shit DOES need to be fixed. Thank goodness he didn't work on the net code. I'd kick his ass :lol

I'd be down for Flashback 2.0. Let's see what they haven't used yet:

-- Bullet Marsh
-- Clocktower
-- Escalation
-- Garden
-- Mausoleum
-- Old Bones
-- Process
-- Raven Down
-- Rooftops

My picks for a map of five: Bullet Marsh, Clocktower, Escalation, Mausoleum, and Raven Down.

-PXG-

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'd be down for Flashback 2.0. Let's see what they haven't used yet:

-- Clocktower
-- Escalation
-- Mausoleum
-- Raven Down
-- Rooftops

My picks for a map of five: Bullet Marsh, Clocktower, Escalation, Mausoleum, and Raven Down.

My picks.

I remember hating Rooftops because of the Hammer of Dawn, which is why I wasn't inclined to suggest it. Maybe I'd tolerate it more with the finite Hammer, or maybe with it removed completely.

Top Bottom