• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
NubCakes09 said:
If I were you, I would either borrow or rent the first game, and if you like the campaign, do the same for the second. The campaign is relatively good, and has a decent enough story. However, if you are interested in good, balanced multiplayer, do not get Gears of War 2. It's way too frustrating of an experience.

Yup. Gears 1/2 has some of the most epic campaign stuff in video game history. After you try a few MP matches you'll want to rip your hair out and break the disc in half.

hey love gears of war, but have never played online (meaning I will suck), I'm getting dark corners tomorrow so if anyone wants to ad me, do so at your own risk.

Scottlarock said:
hey love gears of war, but have never played online (meaning I will suck), I'm getting dark corners tomorrow so if anyone wants to ad me, do so at your own risk.

To get the hang of the game, you can start playing Horde with the rest of the GAF squad, bring your skills up and then go play online you know.

sweetvar26 said:
To get the hang of the game, you can start playing Horde with the rest of the GAF squad, bring your skills up and then go play online you know.
I just hate bringing a team down because of my lack of skills, I rather play it on a harder level(sp) until my skills improve.

Scottlarock said:
I just hate bringing a team down because of my lack of skills, I rather play it on a harder level(sp) until my skills improve.

Exactly why you have to play Horde. You will have a team but you play against the AI. Same as Single player without any objectives or missions. You can choose the same difficulties as you could do in Single Player.

Asmodai

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Also, why do I have to keep playing gametypes I don't want? Would it not be possible to just be able to like, put in what I wanna do, and have the game search for people who wanna do the same thing? Fuck.

You ask the impossible. God said that only one developer could do that for a console game, and it just happened to be Infinity Ward. And well Treyarch I guess, for CodWaW.

Um, is Gears 2 online actually reasonably lag-free yet? I take it from the above posts that it isn't, but I can always reserve hope that my 60 bucks on this game wasn't a complete loss, right?:lol

Self Induced said:
Sometimes.

And the lag-free games are usually those in which your team is woefully mis-matched.

I've never had a *lot* of problem with lag... only occasionally and it's always frustratingly amusing where you shoot your weapon and nothing changes in your HUD...

My main problem is that they gave the ability to pause public horde matches to the "host". If you're not in a private game where people usually communicate, having the host randomly pause the game with no indication of why or when they will unpause is unbelievably fucking aggravating. :(

corrosivefrost said:
I've never had a *lot* of problem with lag... only occasionally and it's always frustratingly amusing where you shoot your weapon and nothing changes in your HUD...

My main problem is that they gave the ability to pause public horde matches to the "host". If you're not in a private game where people usually communicate, having the host randomly pause the game with no indication of why or when they will unpause is unbelievably fucking aggravating. :(
oh hell yes, I was hosting once without realising it and I had a message come up on live, so I hit the guide button and float around the system reading my messages and seeing which friends are online without realising I just paused the match until I came back to the game, I was expecting my gear to just stand there like a lemon while the fight continued on.

Hootie

I almost forgot how mind-numbing it was to complete all 50 rounds of horde in a row. Not to mention that we only had 3 people playing, too.

Good game guys. Maybe tomorrow we can play again as I still need to get the horde achievements for War Machine and Way Station.

goldenpp72

Yeah ggs, 3 people made it tough to do all 50 hordes in a row.. im glad I have an understanding girlfriend, heh.

But it's done, that's the hardest one for dark corners I think. I didn't know I had to be level 50 to do it though.

Hootie

goldenpp72 said:
But it's done, that's the hardest one for dark corners I think. I didn't know I had to be level 50 to do it though.

Yeah I'm not actually getting the achievement for a loooong time :lol

I've been playing as much horde as possible this week because of double XP and since I don't play competitive multi leveling up takes quite awhile.

Kusagari

Gig said:
While submission and KOTH do suck (submission especially), they're way better than execution/warzone. I buy games to play them, not to just sit there and do nothing.

Annex and Guardian are the only multiplayer modes worth playing Gears (although, the lag in these modes can get ridiculous at times).

You must have hated Counter-Strike.

Hootie

AnEternalEnigma said:
How awesome is it that the night Cliffy B is a guest on 1v100, the game glitches out and boots everyone?
goldenpp72 said:
so awesome

w70g2v.jpg

goldenpp72 said:
I completed this one last night also (but with a group of five) and was a bit disappointed when the Achievement did not pop up. As I am level 21 I will not be seeing a few achievements for a while yet.

I went from level 46 to level 50 during this week. Will probably reach level 51 tonight. But I can't see myself ever reaching level 100. 6.8 million XP or so... yeah that's definitely never gonna happen. Can't really see myself getting to lvl 75 even :/ 2,634,723 XP needed for that.

cresto

Gig said:
While submission and KOTH do suck (submission especially), they're way better than execution/warzone. I buy games to play them, not to just sit there and do nothing.

Annex and Guardian are the only multiplayer modes worth playing Gears (although, the lag in these modes can get ridiculous at times).
I can't really agree with you there. I love execution because it reminds me of the CS structure (elimination). That's just my personal preference. If you play the game type correctly, you last most of the round. There is the fluke luck of some of them, but I'd take that over running at a point and getting cluster-fucked. That's the reason I tend to stay away form Annex.

Annex seems to go like this for me, most of the time: The better team, who usually has host, ends up taking the point with ease. They destroy us since we have to run directly at them and then horde the power weapons since they don't have to wait on people to cover the point. I don't have fun running at a point, getting killed by the boom shot and then repeating because every teammate is an incompetent moron.

Guardian is great, for the most part. I just don't like relying on some douche who doesn't understand the concept of being the guarded one. Plus, I hate being that person because it takes you completely out of the fighting.

Execution/Warzone do suck for the waiting and lack of goal other than to kill everything. But it's the best available.

AndyMoogle said:
I went from level 46 to level 50 during this week. Will probably reach level 51 tonight. But I can't see myself ever reaching level 100. 6.8 million XP or so... yeah that's definitely never gonna happen. Can't really see myself getting to lvl 75 even :/ 2,634,723 XP needed for that.

Where the hell did you get those numbers?

borsdy

Banned
Hey everybody, party like it's ninety nine!

I have just about popped all the achievements from the standalone game, maybe I'll buy dark corners when/if the combustible map pack goes free. For now, I will just keep playing horde mode till I have finally lost interest in Gears 2 :)

Sweet game! The competitive multiplayer? Not so much.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
borsdy said:
Hey everybody, party like it's ninety nine!

I have just about popped all the achievements from the standalone game, maybe I'll buy dark corners when/if the combustible map pack goes free. For now, I will just keep playing horde mode till I have finally lost interest in Gears 2 :)

Sweet game! The competitive multiplayer? Not so much.

You got Seriously 2.0? How?

see5harp

Gig said:

The problem I have with Submission is the length of the games and the fact that everyone starts with a smoke grenade, which can make things really tough on the smaller maps like War Machine.

I probably enjoy Annex and Guardian because of the ways it forces people to act where things can come to a standstill in both Warzone and Execution. If you're sitting around doing nothing in these modes, however, it just means you shouldn't die so much, though. The round system makes it so you can't just run around like a headless chicken.

goldenpp72

Grenades ruin a lot of fun gametypes, ink nades ruin king of the hill and to a lesser extent, annex, smoke nades ruin submission, they really should rebalance some shit.

goldenpp72 said:
curious, what is the best way to find out when double XP is happening? I always get in late.

The best thing is watch the GAF posts, and also the Gears 2 in game announcement. Everyone expected a double XP weekend for Dark Corners playlist but it was not announced before hand, if it was then i was totally unaware of it too.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
ergo said:
I can't really agree with you there. I love execution because it reminds me of the CS structure (elimination). That's just my personal preference. If you play the game type correctly, you last most of the round. There is the fluke luck of some of them, but I'd take that over running at a point and getting cluster-fucked. That's the reason I tend to stay away form Annex.

Annex seems to go like this for me, most of the time: The better team, who usually has host, ends up taking the point with ease. They destroy us since we have to run directly at them and then horde the power weapons since they don't have to wait on people to cover the point. I don't have fun running at a point, getting killed by the boom shot and then repeating because every teammate is an incompetent moron.

Guardian is great, for the most part. I just don't like relying on some douche who doesn't understand the concept of being the guarded one. Plus, I hate being that person because it takes you completely out of the fighting.

Execution/Warzone do suck for the waiting and lack of goal other than to kill everything. But it's the best available.

Execution/Warzone would be a hell of a lot better if it weren't for planted frags (I can't even remember the last time I played Execution on Ruins without there being at least one stalemate) and the overabundance over power weapons on many maps.

Overall I think the multiplayer modes in Gears are medicore and they all need a lot of work (bots should never be leader Epic).

Lothars

Gig said:
Execution/Warzone would be a hell of a lot better if it weren't for planted frags (I can't even remember the last time I played Execution on Ruins without there being at least one stalemate) and the overabundance over power weapons on many maps.

Overall I think the multiplayer modes in Gears are medicore and they all need a lot of work (bots should never be leader Epic).

I disagree the best modes and the one's I mainly play are warzone and execution because otherwise annex and king of the hill are pretty mediocre but I do like wingman.

Planted frags should tick and detonate after a short period when the user dies that round, nothing worse then going into sudden death to only get fragged by the first guy who died 3 minutes ago.

imo, only smoke and ink should be plantable, frags are way too damaging and you can hide them in so many corners.

Jinjo

Diablohead said:
Planted frags should tick and detonate after a short period when the user dies that round, nothing worse then going into sudden death to only get fragged by the first guy who died 3 minutes ago.

imo, only smoke and ink should be plantable, frags are way too damaging and you can hide them in so many corners.

I agree. Random frag tags are annoying. An ink grenade only works if you've locked down your enemy. I love tagging my inks next to smokes.

I once lured an opponent into my tagged frag when I was down. That was awesome though. :lol

Lothars

Diablohead said:

I wouldn't have a problem with the planted grenades detonating if the person is dead because that's a really good solution but there's nothing wrong with being able to plant frag grenades.

Tomcat

For gears 3 i hope for:

Faster and more reliable shotgun
Gears 1 character movement
Remove the ability to plant frags
Less power weapons on the maps
Less host advantage (dream on lol)
Player matches
Region filtering
bring back the melee stun
The melee should do much less damage than it does now with the shotgun
Ping meter

mernst23

How'd everybody do with ranking up this week?

Went from a 44 last Wednesday to a 51 currently.

Also have 78/79 achievements now, that rank 100 one is going to the bottom of the list though. It's unbelievable that at rank 51 I only have 10% of the progress needed for an 100. I only plan on grinding out exp in security on double xp weekends until I get to a level I can taste that 100, but otherwise, I don't know if I can commit 620 more hours (single xp, figuring 10k an hour on security) to get that achievement.

I played again today after not playing online for a little while and fuck that laggy shotgun, fuck it to the ends of hell. Also did they remove the two piece delay? I remember at one point they changed it so if you were melee'd you had a chance to shoot back first but now I just get minced without time to react, did they remove that delay?

Think I will just stick to horde... until the damn host quits out on wave 8 because he died first.

I also completed all of the game in co-op but never got the achievement, I must have missed one little area and I have no idea where.

Tomcat said:
For gears 3 i hope for:

Faster and more reliable shotgun
Gears 1 character movement
Remove the ability to plant frags
Less power weapons on the maps
Less host advantage (dream on lol)
Player matches
Region filtering
bring back the melee stun
The melee should do much less damage than it does now with the shotgun
Ping meter
Region filter would make me feel much better instead of putting up with a US host giving me half a second of lag, and frags being blown up after the planter dies to stop cheap kills when they are dead. Also they need to remove host advantage somehow, not just "improve" the netcode because you can't improve lacency when there is a limit in the cables we use in the ground, they need it to be everyone equally pinged with servers or do something which looks instant like counter strike, at least in that game lag is not a huge factor.

Hey all. I'm just posting in here to see if anyone is interested in playing horde seriously. Like playing on hardcore/insane and trying to get to the top of the leaderboards. Me and my friend are always on the lookout for really good players who are interested in some serious playing. We just spent 4.5 hours last night going 1-50 in a public room. It was amazing that the 3rd dude actually stayed the whole game because usually it's just me and him left after everyone quits because they suck or get there achievement. It's hard to find people willing to play for hours upon hours it takes to get a high score.

If your interested my GT is Annihiiator, send me a message saying your from gaf and interested in getting high scores and we will go from there.My schedule for playing is all day sundays and nights throughout the week.

Top Bottom