• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

I was laughing more at the idea that host advantage shouldn't matter, and laughing mostly at epic tbh. Even the shittiest shooters have working MP, why can't epic games get it right?

So depressing since I wanted this game to work.

Hootie

Just sold my books back to my college and got some cash to buy MS points. Of course I only needed 1200pts (had 400pts already) but I had to buy 1500. Fucking microsoft.

Oh well, I'm all ready for the new map pack! Horde achievements + New campaign chapter = :D

Coldsnap

I've never wanted to buy a DLC asap, but I can't wait for more single player. If I wake up early around 7:30 am EST will i be able to download it?

Hootie said:
Oh well, I'm all ready for the new map pack! Horde achievements + New campaign chapter = :D

I was really excited for this new content until when my rank and everything in my War Journal RESET. Fix this shit EPIC.

As broken as this shit is, I can't wait to play the new maps....I almost feel bad for liking it sometimes. I don't really care about the SP stuff, it seems like a pretty short segment.

Hootie

Wow, me and some other awesome dude were fucking smashing the locust on horde on Subway. SOMEHOW we made it to wave 18. Waves 9, 10, 17, and 18 were pure hell. :lol

I was on fire with the sniper luckily. I wish I could find my mic to tell my teammate to not waste ammo on the butchers though. Melee, backup, repeat! No ammo wasted.

Well I'm rank 14, almost 15, so I should be able to get three of the new horde achievements tomorrow. By the time I get those I should be near level 20 so then I can get another one as well. Suddenly I've been getting 300 exp per round so I've been leveling pretty quick :D

sweetvar26 said:
I was really excited for this new content until when my rank and everything in my War Journal RESET. Fix this shit EPIC.

Damn that sucks. All I play is horde so hopefully nothing happens.

I'm really glad I don't play competitive multi in this game...too many horror stories of lag and stuff. I've had no problems whatsoever in horde mode (other than the occasional jackass host who instantly quits as soon as the match starts....)

Hootie said:
Damn that sucks. All I play is horde so hopefully nothing happens.

This has nothing to do about what you play. When my stuff got reset, I just have to complete the last Act on insane, finished the rest. Though my Campaign saves are there, they are all reset too, like i had to start all over from the beginning and the Insane difficulty is locked as if i just bought the game.

So its got nothing to do with what you play, but more like being at the wrong place at the wrong time. UNLUCKY to say it another way. :(

Sorry for a double post but apparently the Dark Corners map pack is up for grab for 1200 MP. You will have to start Gears 2, click the Deleted Chapter from the menu and you will get an option to buy it.

No sign of All Fronts pack yet, which is what i am waiting for.

EDIT: As of right now the All Fronts pack is available on the spotlight(dashboard).

EDIT2: I just saw in the Gears 2 menu that there is double XP on the dark corners maps from July 28th till August 3rd on multi-player and horde. Sweet, time to pull that rank up that has been glitched.:D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Fistula said:
no offense but i consider gears gamers under level 35 the "best" to play with because anybody above that is usually pulling host, exploiting game design flaws to win, boosting, using a keyboard/mouse adapter, or plain old too good to enjoy playing with/against.

Unfortunately, anyone OVER level 35 has also realized this and make it a habit of starting new accounts once they cap out at 45+ and go prey on level 1-25 opponents again because everyone at their "level" is pulling the same crap as them, ruining the game for "newbs" AND "L3375"

Same thing with Halo in regards to the multiple alt-account bullshit, but at least the game works when idiots aren't manipulating network traffic.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em

Please.

So easy to pull that kind of BS generalization - "anyone over 35?" Why would anyone who knows how Gears 2 matches up people do something like that when you are matched up by TrueSkill and NOT XP?

I'm a rank 58 myself, and all of my other friends are ranked 65-71, and I used to be the highest ranked out of all of us till I slowed down immensely to just maybe 30 minutes of Gears 2 per night for the last 2 months because of the priorities I set to do what I had to do and put gaming on the back burner, and that what you posted up there is nothing like what we experience.

sweetvar26 said:
Sorry for a double post but apparently the Dark Corners map pack is up for grab for 1200 MP. You will have to start Gears 2, click the Deleted Chapter from the menu and you will get an option to buy it.

No sign of All Fronts pack yet, which is what i am waiting for.

EDIT: As of right now the All Fronts pack is available on the spotlight(dashboard).

EDIT2: I just saw in the Gears 2 menu that there is double XP on the dark corners maps from July 28th till August 3rd on multi-player and horde. Sweet, time to pull that rank up that has been glitched.:D

Good call man - although I don't see anything in the Spotlight or New Arrivals at all for Gears 2, I can buy the Dark Fronts DLC from the main menu by selecting Deleted Scene - nice...

Nothing for All Fronts, but I got all of the other maps already - time for a Gears 2 marathon tonight, which should be extra nice this time because of how busy I was the last 2 months, I actually wasn't able to see the new maps nor the Deleted Scene, aside from a few pics and a short video or two...

I've been playing some after the latest patch and, besides lag now and then obviously, the game is somewhat fixed now. Haven't encountered any glitches besides the retarded chainsaw glitch where you keep dropping it even if you haven't been shot. How could they possibly let that one still be in? You can "fix" it by shooting off a couple of bullets with the lancer and then use the chainsaw again, but it will obviously happen again.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are still other major glitches in there though. Could have been lucky when playing the last couple of days. Oh well, time to put even more money into this game...

Nemesis_

The single player level is atrociously designed, boring and repetitive.

I just lost all my progress, thinking that the game DID save itself in separate checkpoints. Obviously I was wrong (and didn't read the pre-game warning).

Still, a little disappointed. Liked the new maps though. =)

orion434

I have a quick question... probably really stupid, but when did it start that you can get EXP in Horde Mode? I tried a few maps this morning and saw that I gained EXP even in single-player horde ( level 1 )

How long is the new chapter / level? I know that I should not be doing so but I want to buy the all fronts pack collection just for horde and the single player segment. What helps ease the cost is that I still have a 2100 points pack I got for half price I can use on my account towards this.

rayner said:
I have a quick question... probably really stupid, but when did it start that you can get EXP in Horde Mode? I tried a few maps this morning and saw that I gained EXP even in single-player horde ( level 1 )
It was added in update 2 or 3 I think.

k0ji-wd

Anybody finished the deleted chapter yet?

I don't play Gears 2 MP at all but I LOVE the single player, is buying this DLC worth it just for that extra single player chapter? I'm thinking probably not but. . .I guess if it's got a couple of epic moments, and two play throughs might justify the purchase.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
....I almost feel bad for liking it sometimes.

me too. It's like being stuck in an abusive relationship. I think everyone who likes Gears MP has Stockholm Syndrome to some extent. :lol I can't figure out any other reason people willingly put this piece of shit in their DVD drive

WickedLaharl said:
read last week that the new chapter is only 30mins long :lol
I was honestly expecting it to only be 10 minutes or something, and the fact they bundle it with a map pack also says something about lengh and quality.

Too many suckers out there who will buy the huge map pack instead of buying a 400msp chapter and not give any money towards mp maps, so they win I guess.

whitehawk

Banned
God dammit. I have 400 points, so I only need 1200 for the all front pack, but MS is forcing me to buy 1500 god dammit. Oh well.

Question: Is the combustable pack worth an extra 400 points? It's the only one I'm missing, but I thought half price would be worth it.

Flunkie

Banned
I'm refreshing a certain person's Twitter feed every two seconds in hopes of getting a free Dark Corners code so I can get the single player chapter without having to support Epic.

I'd say none of the maps are worth it, since the damn game doesn't even function properly.

whitehawk

Banned
Flunkie said:
I'm refreshing a certain person's Twitter feed every two seconds in hopes of getting a free Dark Corners code so I can get the single player chapter without having to support Epic.

I'd say none of the maps are worth it, since the damn game doesn't even function properly.
whats the twitter?

mattso

whitehawk said:
God dammit. I have 400 points, so I only need 1200 for the all front pack, but MS is forcing me to buy 1500 god dammit. Oh well.

Question: Is the combustable pack worth an extra 400 points? It's the only one I'm missing, but I thought half price would be worth it.
I think the combustible maps are pretty good

I wish there was a playlist for games with shotgun removed, all the other weapons can stay but REMOVE the shotgun list would be great.

So far I am feeling buyers remorse.

mattso

So I just finished the deleted chapter doing both options.

The stealth largely boils down to mimicking dom's every move for the first 2/3 of it, aside from a few parts where you have to take the lead to cause a distraction. Marcus won't be channeling your inner snake here.

The going in guns blazing I found to be more fun. I played both on hardcore and the guns blazing was a decent challenge. Most of the times I died was due to enemy reinforcements at the end of a section which the next attempt I would trigger and then run back a little and had no problem.

Up to one or two minor changes you follow pretty much the same path for both.

The final 1/3 of both is pretty much the same. Franklin must be He-man since he doesn't even need the armor made of car-parts to fight the locust. The Carmine family would be jealous if they found out.

Overall it's pretty fun and I definitely recommend the guns blazing over the stealth. The stealth goes by pretty quick (maybe a half hour depending on if you get caught) and the guns blazing a little longer depending on if you get stuck on any part.

If anyone wants to play co-op later I'm down. Although I don't see the option for it I might just not be looking hard enough/oblivious to something obvious. I don't care which way you want to do it, I just figure it'd be fun to do it co-op once/get the achievement.

GT: fidel mattstro

Haven't tried the new maps yet in multiplayer but I definitely will be spending time with them later.

Spruchy

Flunkie said:

Holy shit get a job.

Coldsnap

Flunkie said:

If you think the game doesn't even work then why are you spending your time refreshing someones twitter every humming birds heartbeat?

Spruchy said:
Holy shit get a job.
To be fair I wish I never brought the pack also, online just doesn't play well at all and all the host advantages and shotgun only rushes makes me wish I never damn paid for the map pack now. Corny as it sounds I think I will send a written letter of shame to them, gears can go burn in a skip.

scobur

Banned
Coldsnap said:
If you think the game doesn't even work then why are you spending your time refreshing someones twitter every humming birds heartbeat?
Same reason people pirate games they "would never have bought," I imagine.

mattso

Coldsnap said:
single player is fine. the multi is what he says is broken.

I agree sometimes it definitely is broken. I bought these maps largely for horde. I do enjoy guardian and submission too when the game isn't too laggy so I'm hoping these maps are enjoyable for those.

Well I just bought it.. I hardly ever play MP but I love horde. My problem is most of my friends have moved on. What is the experience going with Public Horde matches? Is it fun, or do people ruin it somehow?

mattso

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Well I just bought it.. I hardly ever play MP but I love horde. My problem is most of my friends have moved on. What is the experience going with Public Horde matches? Is it fun, or do people ruin it somehow?
I don't have too many friends who play horde so I always do random and it can be a mixed bag. There are times everyone is off doing their own thing and times where you get a decently coordinated effort.

I'm always down for horde if you wanted to add me to your list

gt: fidel mattstro

Flunkie

Banned
Coldsnap said:
As described above numerous times, it's an evil game. I know my friends are going to get it and if they're playing it, I don't want to be left out, no matter how shitty the game is.

bumpkin

Flunkie said:
As described above numerous times, it's an evil game. I know my friends are going to get it and if they're playing it, I don't want to be left out, no matter how shitty the game is.
*high fives*

I miss the good ol' days playing with you, Aladuf, ThirdEngine, Nub Cakes and a few others. Those were good times!

Kusagari

Fistula said:
no offense but i consider gears gamers under level 35 the "best" to play with because anybody above that is usually pulling host, exploiting game design flaws to win, boosting, using a keyboard/mouse adapter, or plain old too good to enjoy playing with/against.

Unfortunately, anyone OVER level 35 has also realized this and make it a habit of starting new accounts once they cap out at 45+ and go prey on level 1-25 opponents again because everyone at their "level" is pulling the same crap as them, ruining the game for "newbs" AND "L3375"

Same thing with Halo in regards to the multiple alt-account bullshit, but at least the game works when idiots aren't manipulating network traffic.

I calls 'em like I sees 'em

I just wanna say that this logic makes zero sense. I've played with so many level 70s and such who are just plain horrible and don't even have good ratios. The ranking system in Gears has nothing to do with skill. You just need to have no life and play everyday and you can easily be level 35+.

I wish they'd make one big playlist with all 29 maps. I tried doing Execution, Warzone to see if we could get some new maps sprinkled in, but the first was Hail/Tyro Station and the next was Ruins/River, which tied and brought up Hail.

feel

I hope they sell the dlc chapter eventually by itself, for like 200 or 400 points. I love the campaign for this game, so amazing, especially coop.

h3ro

For those that have bought it already, I'm assuming the download of the All Fronts pack is all in one download. Can you delete the prior content since it's already contained in the big file?

Meaning can I delete my Flashback download since the maps are contained in the All Fronts file as well?

mattso

h3ro said:
For those that have bought it already, I'm assuming the download of the All Fronts pack is all in one download. Can you delete the prior content since it's already contained in the big file?

Meaning can I delete my Flashback download since the maps are contained in the All Fronts file as well?
I would imagine. If you have flashback and delete it you can always redownload it if something goes wrong.

borsdy

Banned
bigGIRLSblouse said:
This is all I play, in my experience most people are there just to have fun. Sometimes when you speak up other people will pull out their mics too :)

For the normal horde playlist at least, there's double-experience all week long and you don't need any DLC!

For Want Of

Neo Member
Playing Gears of War can be such a miserable experience: Getting sucked in for a chainsaw kill(that's not how it works, imagine if it was a sword) and being insulted by some voice when I lose. Additionally, the whole atmosphere of the game creates problems for continuous multiplay(er).

Why can't games care more about how I feel?

BigBoss

Letters said:
I hope they sell the dlc chapter eventually by itself, for like 200 or 400 points. I love the campaign for this game, so amazing, especially coop.

Same here, I love the campaign and I would like to play the new DLC but not for 1200 MS Space Bucks.

Top Bottom