• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Hawk xSx said:
I liked this game a lot, I wish I had time to Co-Op on Insane - I could really go through the story again

Multiplayer is fun, but I can't ever tell if they're glitching or just me, but my connection is good elsewhere.

It's a combination of glitching and the multiplayer component being buggy and rubbish. Just go back to Gears of War 1. It plays much more better.

Domino Theory said:
TU5 coming soon. "Awesome fixes" in store. With 5 fucking TUs, who the fuck knows anymore, although, seeing friendly grenade tags with your Com is pretty sweet, but removing nade tagging all together would be even sweeter.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=702407

Yeah. Why not? TUs for Gears will be free anyway. Was there any testing done at all? :lol

Epic should not overestimate itself and do MP beta for Gears 3.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Is anyone else having trouble with their 360 reading the Gears 2 disc as a dvd instead of a game?

My system just started acting up tonight when I waned to play some Horde. Is this a sign of things to come?

epic seriously sucks ass at fixing glitches and cheats

and unless "awesome fixes" means "we're adding dedicated servers" i doubt i'll even try out the next update

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
WickedLaharl said:
epic seriously sucks ass at fixing glitches and cheats

and unless "awesome fixes" means "we're adding dedicated servers" i doubt i'll even try out the next update

Make the maps free then i would play. Gears 2 is filled with assholes/cheaters. But yea pretty much what you said.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I can't believe I'm actually getting hyped thanks to this news post from gearsofwar.com to play Gears 2 again considering Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 will be out soon. :D

http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/Templates/Secondary.aspx?id=1804

Epic Games and Microsoft Game Studios are proud to announce a new title update for Gears of War 2, coming soon. This update will repair security vulnerabilities, eliminate exploits , and improve the game. Get ready to experience Gears 2 like you never have before!

AkuMifune

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Get ready to experience Gears 2 like you never have before!

As one of the few defenders of Gears 2 online that burns me a bit. Its as much an admission of failure as it is desperate.

Get ready to experience Gears 2 like you should have when it came out a year ago!

Thanks. Thanks alot.

Feindflug

Domino Theory said:
Epic Games and Microsoft Game Studios are proud to announce a new title update for Gears of War 2, coming soon. This update will repair security vulnerabilities, eliminate exploits , and improve the game. Get ready to experience Gears 2 like you never have before!

Epic never change! :lol :lol :lol

Gears of War 2 is the biggest fiasco this gen IMO, mainly for the broken as hell mp and the nerfed/n00b-friendly gameplay...After this Epic fail there's no chance to pay more than 20e for an Epic game.

I can't wait for Borderlands, L4D2 & Modern Warfare 2 to come out and see this piece of shit GTFO of Xbox Live's Top Ten.

Feindflug said:

Gears of War 2 is the biggest fiasco this gen IMO, mainly for the broken as hell mp and the nerfed/n00b-friendly gameplay...After this Epic fail there's no chance to pay more than 20e for an Epic game.

I can't wait for Borderlands, L4D2 & Modern Warfare 2 to come out and see this piece of shit GTFO of Xbox Live's Top Ten.

My worst purchase this generation thus far was a one-year renewal of XBox Live Gold for the express purpose of playing Gears of War 2 online. Never again.

unomas

Banned
Fuck Epic, I've still got my original copy of Gears, but Gears 2 was and is an online noob party disaster. I played the original Gears online for 1 1/2 years, Gears 2 was a month at best. Unless they go back to what worked with some tweaks in the original fuck Gears 3 multiplayer.

RefigeKru

Banned
Diablohead said:
Glitch and lag free? never!

:lol

It's never going to happen is it.

I remember buying the game with a couple of my friends on the release date, something I very, very rarely do. We all sold the game after about a week or two. I didn't think it was possible for a game to be so broken online.

Shame too, I loved the first and thought they'd like... Fix shit for the second. I'm not buying Gears 3 until a month or so after release.

Lucius86

Banned
Feindflug said:

That's not exactly fair on Epic - the single player was one of the best this gen I thought - the multiplayer was a disappointment, but not a joke.

EagleEyes

Lucius86 said:
That's not exactly fair on Epic - the single player was one of the best this gen I thought - the multiplayer was a disappointment, but not a joke.
Agreed. The single player, co-op campaign and horde mode were all ace. To me it was the complete package because i never played the competitive MP anyways. My GOTY last year.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
EagleEyes said:
Agreed. The single player, co-op campaign and horde mode were all ace. To me it was the complete package because i never played the competitive MP anyways. My GOTY last year.

Same here. I do understand the hardcore player frustration, but MP in Gears never really appealed to me.

Feindflug

Lucius86 said:

Well the campaign was pretty good for what it was - a bigger, "better" and more badass n00b-friendly version of the first game with stupid additions like stopping power, slower character movement and the nerfed shotgun/lancer...I personally think that the only thing that Gears 2's campaign has over the original is graphics, even the music and the weapon sounds in the sequel were inferior IMO.

The first game is a more focused, brutal, fun and deeper gameplay-wise experience IMO that was all about close encounters - I've played the first game's campaign over 10 times but I've only played Gears 2 SP 2 times at launch and never touched it since then...of course the gameplay "tweaks" changed entirely the way the game played also in the MP portion of the game making it as someone else stated above an online noob party disaster with Epic saying a big fuck you to all the hardcore players that supported the first game for 2 years hoping for an even better online MP mode - I honestly believe as I have spent over 1000hrs in the first game that the first game's mp was perfect except the stupid instant sniper downs - why change the gameplay for the second game so much if you have something that the only complaint was the overpowered sniper? apparently Epic thought that making the game more friendly to the newcomers was the best decision...that's why I'm not supporting them from now on.

Lothars

Dosia said:
I was such a big gears 1 fan, but seriously fuck gears 2. The game just sucks so bad for multi-player.

I don't know what game your playing but Gears 2 is a pretty fun multiplayer game that has some issues but I think it's better than gears 1 in almost every way because Gears 1 had alot of issues and wasn't as perfect as people think it was but especially as a full package, I prefer Gears 2 over Gears 1 in every way.

-PXG- said:
What is TU5 supposed to do?
The way epic think, I am guessing:

Lv limit up to 256 with new achievement for hitting the cap "random winner" 15g
Shotgun given sniper properties
Sniper nurfed but now rapid fire
'fixed' smoke stun now makes you slide up stairs
Crab walk now let's you go up walls

-PXG-

Diablohead said:
The way epic think, I am guessing:

Lv limit up to 256 with new achievement for hitting the cap "random winner" 15g
Shotgun given sniper properties
Sniper nurfed but now rapid fire
'fixed' smoke stun now makes you slide up stairs
Crab walk now let's you go up walls

Oh shit :lol

Wait what are we conplaining about? I agree that Gears 2 was a train wreck from a technical standpoint in MP (glitches, matchmaking etc.) But I liked the theory behind some balance decisions, such as stopping power etc. Those shotgun circle jerks from the first Gears were retarded.

Oh but proximity mine grenades was really dumb. People always hate proximity mines, yet people keep putting them in games. Nothing like punishing aggressive players who carry the game.

-PXG-

PedroLumpy said:
Wait what are we conplaining about? I agree that Gears 2 was a train wreck from a technical standpoint in MP (glitches, matchmaking etc.) But I liked the theory behind some balance decisions, such as stopping power etc. Those shotgun circle jerks from the first Gears were retarded.

Oh but proximity mine grenades was really dumb. People always hate proximity mines, yet people keep putting them in games. Nothing like punishing aggressive players who carry the game.

Guess you're the only one. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
-PXG- said:
What is TU5 supposed to do?

Confirmed changes (there will be a lot more):

You can see friendly grenades that are tagged on walls using your Tac/Com
"Sticky Walk" fixed (Thank God)
Subway exploit fixed
Security/Hacking exploit that arrived thanks to a loophole from TU4 (lol) fixed

cresto

I've all but given up on this game. I hate to say it, but once MW2 hits, this game will just collect dust. I ended up only playing with a party with one us hijacking host (not proud of it) because it was unbearable dealing with a constant coin toss to see what sort of connection I would be dealing with.

I played nothing but gears 1 for almost 2 years and this game was a big shit pile compared to that.

If TU5 gives me dedicated servers I will play it, but other then that it doesn't mean squat.

I keep looking over at my game stack and wanting to play it, but then I realize it isn't worth the effort of putting it in my 360. LawL

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
New update to fix stuff, and the good old whining is back - nice - damned if you do, damned if you don't huh.

I'm at least glad that that "sticky walk", if it's what I think it is, will be fixed, because it can get real annoying at times - and I like that friendly grenade spotting, but it's been as simple as holding your reticule over the grenade to tell if it's friendly or not for the longest of while now, but any new easier methods are fine with me...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
TU5 is up, didn't expect it to be up so soon - that "sticky walk" thing when you pick up a weapon being gone is my favorite part of the update so far.

Hey all,

TU5 has passed certification and we just heard that it goes live 5 AM Eastern or 2 AM Pacific on Monday, Oct 26th. Once TU5 has rolled out and fixed our security issue then the leaderboard cleanups will begin.

Here are the official release notes -

Gears of War 2 Title Update 5 Detailed Release Notes

The following fixes and improvements are included in Title Update 5.

Improvements

Title Update 5 makes these new improvements:

* Adds the ability to view friendly-planted grenades in Tac/Com.
* Removes the cringe caused when a smoke grenade forces a player to drop a meatshield.
* Adds bonus points to the winning leader's score in the Guardian game mode if the leader successfully survives the winning round.
* Changes the postmatch Invite button to only invite former teammates, so a player can create parties more easily instead of trying to create a Private Match that includes both teams from the former match.
* Returns the roadie-run camera movements to the way they were in Gears of War 1 by decreasing the dampening values.

Exploit Fixes

Title Update 5 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:

* A player could modify the game's behavior due to a security vulnerability introduced in an earlier title update.
* A player could use a turbo controller to artificially maximize their rate of fire.
* A player could mantle a planted shield in competitive multiplayer to hide inside geometry or to travel outside of the map. The ability to mantle shields was removed in competitive multiplayer but remains in Horde and Campaign.

Title Update 5 also fixes a number of other, lesser-known exploits.

General Fixes

Title Update 5 fixes these other issues as well:

* An issue that contributed to the "sticky walk" problem, where a player's avatar could stutter after the player picks up a weapon.
* An issue that could prevent players from hearing the "boom" telegraph from Boomers.
* An issue that could cause looping audio to continue playing after the player who triggered that sound is killed.
* An issue that could cause multiple names to be highlighted yellow on the scoreboard instead of the name of the player viewing the scoreboard.
* An issue that prevented the game from granting the earned experience points from the fiftieth wave of Horde.
* An issue that caused players at level 100 to see the "congratulations" message after every match.

Title Update 5 also made additional small bug fixes.

Thanks,

Rod.

Woffls

I guess I'll have a few matches and see if it's playable now. I gave up with this game real quick because the online was so badly shafted. Quite how they made it worse than the first Gears I have NO idea.

Ramirez

Still has hit detection problems out the wazoo, yay. This game is going towards some trade in credit, I've put it off long enough.

Might jump in and check this out one more time, but honestly, it was the lag that made this so broken for me.

I really got over being killed with a couple of bullets while my opponent received like 3 of my clips and kept walking.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Quote Originally Posted by Rod Fergus Yes, the Subway issue still exist rushed to get TU5 out because security hacking and we were n around. We know it's a big issue on that and I apologize that we weren't to get our fixed fully tested in time Thanks Rod.

Well guess nothing was fixed.

JDeluis

Same lag is still present. The multiplayer is only fun if you are playing with friends and/or the host. It will never get fixed.

Doesn't look like they fixed the rank glitch, where your rank will just go back to 1 randomly. I am not touching this game until they get that done. There is a 80 page thread in the EPIC forums about it for the past half a year, still not looking at it i guess.

Top Bottom