• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Feindflug

confused said:
Does the GOTY come with the expansions on disc or do you get a download code ? I'll only buy if on disc.

IIRC the extra content on the GOTY edition is just a download code - no second disc a la Fallout 3.

confused

Banned
thanks. I'll just download the dlc then. Was hoping for the DLC to be on disc to save HDD space. Guess I'll stick with my vanilla edition then.

From GearsOfWar.com:

"Celebrate Gears 2's one-year anniversary November 6-16 with triple XP and tactical changes, such as increased weapon damage and reduced ammo counts. Plus, public Horde defaults to hardcore and playlists have individual gametypes."

AnEternalEnigma said:
From GearsOfWar.com:

"Celebrate Gears 2's one-year anniversary November 6-16 with triple XP and tactical changes, such as increased weapon damage and reduced ammo counts. Plus, public Horde defaults to hardcore and playlists have individual gametypes."
Well, i'll give it a little play just to see how the less ammo but stonger guns thing works out, might be fun.

This started yesterday?

Minamu

Is that stuff really in effect? :S Granted, I haven't played since the release & was only lvl 3, but I couldn't really tell any significant difference tonight. Managed to get to lvl 10 in 3 Guardian matches though. Achievements, here I come! Triple exp sure is nice too :D

I just spent over half hour online playing a few matches, what a clusterfuck.

Some guy in the team drops even though we are winning, could be a legit reason dunno.

Other team member is last guy left in elimination, he glitches behind a wall and ambushes my team (I was already dead)

The first game I joined the lag was terrible, or something was lag switching because I would play smooth then randomly warp over half the map to where I was 15 seconds ago, followed by my head being blown off.

FUCKING SHOTGUN LAG fuck fuck fuck annoying weapon which can't kill unless you host.

More droppers, we lose 1 round rather fast and 3 people decide to drop instead if fight back.

lol seriously, game is fuck broken.

Loaded Man

from GearsOfWar.com:

I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons they're doing this is to draw people away from playing MW2 multiplayer. Nice try, Epic.

Manus

The only right way to play Gears online is with a full team you know and Guardian. I always find that match type the most fun to play and the quickest way to rank up.

Lancer has been beastly since it's double damage for the anniversary.

Minamu

mernst23 said:
Even with triple XP, leveling up takes forever.....

Upto level 70.
Yeah, I'm lvl 23 by now (20 levels in 3 sittings) & I get about 1 level up per Guardian game. Seems to take forever already. Don't want to think about how it works normally...

Same thing with weapons damage. People seem to take a lot of dmg for dropping :( And those Guardian leaders, do they have 2x HP or something? I've emptied entire clips at them & hit nothing but air :lol

SquirrelNuckle said:
The only right way to play Gears online is with a full team you know and Guardian. I always find that match type the most fun to play and the quickest way to rank up.

Lancer has been beastly since it's double damage for the anniversary.
Yeah it felt useful now, I took a few guys down with it who didn't expect it, one dude was charging me with a shotty but I got him first, another guy was just running around the map and I hit him enough to do damage. Actually makes you want to use cover instead of "retreat, swap to shottie, attack"

IMO the double damage thing is also a test, and for the damage part at least I prefer it, shotgun stays deadly up close, the long range guns become a bigger part in war and the boomshot has less ammo, everyone wins.

Minamu said:
Yeah, I'm lvl 23 by now (20 levels in 3 sittings) & I get about 1 level up per Guardian game. Seems to take forever already. Don't want to think about how it works normally...

Same thing with weapons damage. People seem to take a lot of dmg for dropping :( And those Guardian leaders, do they have 2x HP or something? I've emptied entire clips at them & hit nothing but air :lol
Part of this is because of lag, you look like the first half of your clip hit them but actually there is a second delay, so you in fact hardly did shit to them. Now if they are the host you will know about it...

borsdy

Banned
Double experience all time now or are my internet friends lying to me and I am too drunk to read the fuct gears forum properly?

MinionBE

Completed the singeplayer for the third time, now on insane co-op. Still an awesome experience. How someone can find GOW1's campaign better than this one is beyond me.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ok... popped this game in for the first time since June.

I can now choose execution or warzone... nice!

When the fuck did the ammo count get reduced?

This is bullshit.

aries_71

MinionBE said:
Completed the singeplayer for the third time, now on insane co-op. Still an awesome experience. How someone can find GOW1's campaign better than this one is beyond me.

Well, I'm playing Gears2 for the first time now, and I keep thinking that Gear1 campaign wasn't better, but it was more coherent. I think they went too over the top in Gear2... too many reavers, brumacks and super-monsters.

mernst23

borsdy said:
Double experience all time now or are my internet friends lying to me and I am too drunk to read the fuct gears forum properly?

Experience is doubled from now on. Apparently events are still going to take place periodically (holidays). Hopefully it's more triple xp. (Hit level 85 yesterday) ~60% of the way done.

Black_Ice said:
Ok... popped this game in for the first time since June.

I can now choose execution or warzone... nice!

When the fuck did the ammo count get reduced?

This is bullshit.
Did they keep the whole half ammo double damage thing then? I thought it ended on the 16th last month?

Not that I play this game much but I prefer it over bullet sponges and shotgun dances.

Weenerz

Banned
Finally got around to playing this recently and I haven't been as impressed with it like I was for GoW1. There are too many big monsters, their cool factor was how rare they were in GoW1 and they are everywhere now.

AkuMifune

Banned
mernst23 said:
Experience is doubled from now on. Apparently events are still going to take place periodically (holidays). Hopefully it's more triple xp. (Hit level 85 yesterday) ~60% of the way done.

Good news! I'm nearing 50 and need to find the time to jump back in. Too bad I've had serious connection issues since TU5, not sure what to do about it but I haven't been able to connect to any matches at all. :(

borsdy

Banned
I hit level fiddy and 20 thousand kills last night :) Since double experience is staying with us I think I will redo the math to figure out how many moons I need to keep playing horde, heh.

-PXG-

I love how every time this thread gets bumped, it's always someone asking, "Who the fuck is still playing this shit?" :lol

Did TU5 even come out yet?

Major Nelson has released this week's Xbox Live usage stats. For the first time since release, Gears of War 2 is gone from the Top 10. It was #7 last week.

I guess patch #5 and permanent double XP wasn't enough to keep people on.

mernst23

AnEternalEnigma said:
Major Nelson has released this week's Xbox Live usage stats. For the first time since release, Gears of War 2 is gone from the Top 10. It was #7 last week.

I guess patch #5 and permanent double XP wasn't enough to keep people on.

It was enough to keep me on. But now I'm 100, so I'm not putting this game back in my xbox for awhile.........

borsdy

Banned
https://gearsofwar.xbox.com/Templates/Secondary.aspx?id=1826

This holiday, Epic Games has a special present for all you Gearheads out there… actually, 12 presents, along with a few other surprises as well! Beginning December 23, the Gears multiplayer experience will transform into the 12 Days of Gearsmas.

On the first day of Gearsmas, everyone gets a Noobsaw. This means that shots will not interrupt the Lancer’s Chainsaw. Once it gets revving, only a kill can stop it.

On the second day of Gearsmas, it’s time for some melee instagib. One attack will tear your enemy to shreds in the usual messy fashion, with no need to hit twice.

On the third day of Gearsmas, you’ll get three Frag Grenades for every pickup. Worried about saving that last grenade? Just throw it—you’ve got three of ‘em.

On the fourth day of Gearsmas, Boomshots rule the day. Four shots, more bang for your boom.

On the fifth day, Wingman converts to five one-man teams. Get ready for 1x1x1x1x1 action all day.

On the sixth day, you get six satellites powering the Hammer of Dawn. Think infinite ammo, Gears 1–style.

On the seventh day, each mortar gets seven shells instead of the typical three. Bombs away!

On the eighth day, it’s a blast from the past with eight retro gamers—four vs. four, in classic Gears action. (Note that Horde and Wingman won’t be affected by this change.)

On the ninth day, the Boomers invade Horde mode. You’ll get squads of Boomers on all waves ending in the number 9.

On the tenth day, you’ll get 10 waves of Kantus to spice up your Horde experience—if you can survive it, that is…

On the eleventh day, eleven meatflags will be taunting (Chaps + 10 players = 11!), so you can go ahead and add double experience to Submission matches.

And the twelfth day? How about all 11 modifications applied all at once? Get ready for total action-packed Gears mayhem!

If that wasn’t enough, there’s still one more surprise: Golden weapons will be unlocked for all 12 days, and the current double XP will convert to triple XP.And that means that Days 11 and 12 will be 6x XP in Submission. Chaps better get his running shoes on!

Happy holidays from everyone at Epic Games and Microsoft Game Studios, enjoy the festivities, and have a very merry Gearsmas!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt.

I'm going to be missing all of that since I'm on vacation - damn it!

Sounds like it's going to be fun as hell, and that 6x XP would get me close to, if not level 100 itself easily...

Damn. Oh well.

borsdy

Banned
Playing Horde with the same Hammer of Dawn for several rounds makes strategies a lot more interesting, I wish this change was permanent. Here is the list again:

• On the sixth day, you get six satellites powering the Hammer of Dawn. Think infinite ammo, Gears 1–style.
  • On the seventh day, each mortar gets seven shells instead of the typical three. Bombs away!
  • On the eighth day, it’s a blast from the past with eight retro gamers—four vs. four, in classic Gears action. (Note that Horde and Wingman won’t be affected by this change.)
  • On the ninth day, the Boomers invade Horde mode. You’ll get squads of Boomers on all waves ending in the number 9.
  • On the tenth day, you’ll get 10 waves of Kantus to spice up your Horde experience—if you can survive it, that is…
  • On the eleventh day, eleven meatflags will be taunting (Chaps + 10 players = 11!), so you can go ahead and add double experience to Submission matches
  • And the twelfth day? How about all 11 modifications applied all at once? Get ready for total action-packed Gears mayhem!
  • If that wasn’t enough, there’s still one more surprise: Golden weapons will be unlocked for all 12 days, and the current double XP will convert to triple XP. And that means that Days 11 and 12 will be 6x XP in Submission. Chaps better get his running shoes on!

Even if Submission had 16X multiplayer experience you would never see me playing that game.

whitehawk

Banned
I played this a lot earlier this year, I got the lvl 50 though and realized it's not that good. Didn't realize how good multiplayer gaming could be until I played MW2. Might play a couple gears games for 6x exp though. Perhaps on the last day of this event.

borsdy said:
Even if Submission had 16X multiplayer experience you would never see me playing that game.

Same here, Still the leveling gltich hasn't been fixed yet, and I would definitely think twice when buying a game from EPIC(except for Shadow Complex:D).

enewtabie

Is it worth picking up All Fronts and getting into the MP at this point. Beat the game when it came out,but never could get Matchmaking working.

enewtabie said:
Is it worth picking up All Fronts and getting into the MP at this point. Beat the game when it came out,but never could get Matchmaking working.
Depends on how much you like the multiplayer. Try playing on the regular maps for a few weeks first. There are still plenty of people playing.

bumpkin

enewtabie said:
I think it depends on how high your expectations are for the MP. A lot of people here seem to take issue with any number of problems; whether they're just fundamental gameplay elements or glitches/exploits players use. But at the end of the day, it depends whether it's fun to you or not. I've always found that I had the most fun playing MP when I teamed up with people on my friends list. It's really hit or miss when it comes to ending up with competent, normal people using the automated matchmaking. If you've got friends who are still playing MP or would get back into it if you did, I'd say go for it. Even Horde on some of the newer maps is pretty interesting. *shrug*

finally got around to playing/beating Gears 2 this week...so beautiful

quick question though, not sure if I need to spoiler tag a year and a half old game but screw it

I swear I remember hearing something about the Locust being the original species in the game, and I remember hearing this and being pissed it was spoiled for me...but after playing this part of the story was nowhere to be found other then all of the buildings and the hive being older then Delta team thought they could have been...was that the only time it is implied in the story? I was expecting the Queen to drive this point home

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Wow, besides the wonderful SP game, the MP is about the most fun I've had. Reached level 25 today. Kind of sucks you can't host a public game, although.

GodfatherX said:
finally got around to playing/beating Gears 2 this week...so beautiful

quick question though, not sure if I need to spoiler tag a year and a half old game but screw it

I swear I remember hearing something about the Locust being the original species in the game, and I remember hearing this and being pissed it was spoiled for me...but after playing this part of the story was nowhere to be found other then all of the buildings and the hive being older then Delta team thought they could have been...was that the only time it is implied in the story? I was expecting the Queen to drive this point home
Not sure about this. Wasn't the Locust thought to be from one of the moons?

thanks for the reply, I've never cared much for gears multilayer..maybe because an ex played it in MLG?

I could be wrong on my memory of the spoiler...it was a while ago

borsdy

Banned
http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/Templates/Secondary.aspx?id=1844

Gears goes Green with a St. Patrick's Day Double XP Event

In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, leprechauns have invaded Horde in Gears of War 2, turning our favorite height-challenged Locust, the Wretch, into an even deadlier killing machine. Fortunately, we’ve given players a four-leaf clover full of bonuses! From 9 A.M. EST on Wednesday, March 17, through 9 A.M. EST Monday, March 22, earn double XP across all multiplayer modes, double points for leader survival in Guardian, and double bonus points for match wins. And don’t forget to check your weapon loadouts—something golden may be awaiting you.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
borsdy said:
http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/Templates/Secondary.aspx?id=1844

Gears goes Green with a St. Patrick's Day Double XP Event

In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, leprechauns have invaded Horde in Gears of War 2, turning our favorite height-challenged Locust, the Wretch, into an even deadlier killing machine. Fortunately, we’ve given players a four-leaf clover full of bonuses! From 9 A.M. EST on Wednesday, March 17, through 9 A.M. EST Monday, March 22, earn double XP across all multiplayer modes, double points for leader survival in Guardian, and double bonus points for match wins. And don’t forget to check your weapon loadouts—something golden may be awaiting you.

Thanks for the heads-up - been crazy busy lately, but I gotta take advantage of this double XP for sure...

Top Bottom