• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

It's been plenty of months since I last played multiplayer gears but I braved it and went back to it again, but this time I am only going to play the respawning modes like annex and KotH.

So far so good, still shitty as ever netcode and bullshit deaths due to lag but at least respawning helps, it also means I get plenty of chances to respawn and ambush the other team or brake away to find that sniper or other power weapon to aid my team. Just now I had a rather good game! it was close and nearly everyone ended with 5000+ xp due to the match lasting about 20 minutes :lol the first time I have had fun in gears 2 MP since launch.

I do seriously hope that epic games are doing something about host advantages and delays on guns, it just sucks when the shotgun doesn't do it's job and the host has none of these problems.

Speak of the devil I just had host and was going on a pillage spree with my shotty, mmm.

I can't fight this feeling any longer
And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow
What started out as friendship
Has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show

I tell myself that I can't hold out forever
I said there is no reason for my fear
'Cause I feel so secure when we're together
You give my life direction
You make everything so clear

And even as I wander
I'm keeping you in sight
You're a candle in the window
On a cold, dark winter's night
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might

And I can't fight this feeling anymore
I've forgotten what I started fighting for
It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

'Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore

My life has been such a whirlwind since I saw you
I've been running round in circles in my mind
And it always seems that I'm following you
'Cause you take me to the places
That alone I'd never find

And even as I wander
I'm keeping you in sight
You're a candle in the wind
On a cold, dark winter's night
And I'm getting closer than I ever thought I might

And I can't fight this feeling anymore
It's time to bring this ship into the shore
And throw away the oars, forever

'Cause I can't fight this feeling anymore
And if I have to crawl upon the floor
Come crashing through your door
Baby, I can't fight this feeling anymore

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Third, you know the cycle.

Think about Gears 2.
Oh, so gooooood. So many good memories.
Urge to play rises.
Yes! Eat my shotgun suckas!
Boomshot bitches!
WTF SHITTY NETCODE FTL
FUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*breaks disc*

~ several months later ~

Think about Gears 2.
Urge to play rises.
Boomshot bitches!
WTF SHITTY NETCODE FTL
FUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*breaks disc*

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn.
So I got the GOTY edition today, I sold my first copy awhile back. I was just screwing around with horde mode for awhile and on a whim I decided to try the MP for the first time since winter of '08-'09 and to my surprise I had a lot of fun. I ended up playing it for a couple hours. I was pretty negative about it after all the issues at launch, if I could I would dig up all my old posts about it, but it seems like it's actually pretty damn good now. I got in a game really fast and it feels much more balanced and enjoyable. I know I'm like way late but I'm kind of excited to have some Gears online to play, I love these fuckin games so much.
Gears 1 is my most played MP game ever so I'm very pleased right now.

Im looking for a bad enough dude to go through the campaign on insane,
are you a bad enough dude to go GMT+2?

im just on the goty too snuggler, wanna 'friend up'?

tag: Templar Wizard

whitehawk

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Third, you know the cycle.

Think about Gears 2.
Urge to play rises.
Boomshot bitches!
WTF SHITTY NETCODE FTL
FUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*breaks disc*

~ several months later ~

Think about Gears 2.
Urge to play rises.
Boomshot bitches!
WTF SHITTY NETCODE FTL
FUUUUUCKKKKKKKKK
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*breaks disc*
So true :lol :lol

I got a few rounds in over the weekend and.......... being a level 2 with all these level 50+
ass has been handed to me on many occasions.

But its so satisfying to put up a lvl 71 as a meat shield and hear him screaming in french!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Templar Wizard said:
im just on the goty too snuggler, wanna 'friend up'?

tag: Templar Wizard

I'll send you a 'quest. I'll be playing a lot of Gears so I'm down for whatev.
It probably sounds kind of sad but I've been playing solo Horde mode on Insane and it's fuckin intense, especially when I'm hiding behind a pillar while four locusts are unloading clips at me.
I'm down for some campaign on Insane. I'm a little rusty but it's kind of funny how fast I relearned all of my Gears skills even though I haven't played it in forever.
I just started a replay of Gears of War 1 but I'm also doing the Gears 2 campaign + horde mode and some MP. Goddamn I love these games.

I got a few rounds in over the weekend and.......... being a level 2 with all these level 50+
ass has been handed to me on many occasions.
Heh, I was having a lot of fun talking shit with people in Gears 2 due my my level being the same (2). Everyone else was like lvls 50-80 but I think they were suprised to see me due decent. My Gears 1 skills are still intact.

I could not find a matchmaking topic in the online part of gaf,
is there a HORDE mode gaf friends list?
If not we should make one, horde is still a LOT of fun, and I play it regularly.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
I have gone back to GOW2 several times, only to be let down. GOW2 has way too many flaws to continue to play online. On the other hand, I have recently started playing the original GOW again online. For the last 3 days I been having a blast, the game just plays so much better when you can choose which host has the best connection for you. Don't get me wrong it is not a perfect set up but it is better then GOW2. Plus it is nice not having to deal with frag tagging the walls which I thought ruined the pace of GOW2. So if anyone wants to play some original GOW hit me up, but be warned I only play Execution with 5 second downs though.

Gamer tag: Gunstar77

JB1981

Yea, Gears of War 2 is really a mess. I actually tried to go back and play a few days ago and I was just like ... "this game sucks." Quit to dash .... power off.

Some great horde play last night TDS.
Shame it ended with us getting a bit unlucky and our 'randown'* friends getting shit hammered out of them when we hit 25 :)

*copyright

Lets reset and hit 50 tonight. Any gaf-dudes want in on the party? European evening

Templar Wizard said:
Some great horde play last night TDS.
Shame it ended with us getting a bit unlucky and our 'randown'* friends getting shit hammered out of them when we hit 25 :)

*copyright

Lets reset and hit 50 tonight. Any gaf-dudes want in on the party? European evening
Just a quick not I had a great time playing horde last night and more gaffers should add me + Templar Wizard to XBL for some horde action!
It was a blast with just the 2 of us and we wish more Euro foks could join us!

Sorry for the bump everyone but we wanted to ask if ANY eu foks have time this evening.
You can add me to XBL and Temple and I will play horde tonight.

Help us out Temple really want to to wave 50 he has never done that. :)

Thank you all in advance.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, I wondered why I never saw Temple Knight online.
I'm so down for some Horde but I'm in the US on Eastern time so I'm probably playing while you're sleeping.

Snuggler said:
Damn, I wondered why I never saw Temple Knight online.
I'm so down for some Horde but I'm in the US on Eastern time so I'm probably playing while you're sleeping.
Well east coast is fine than you need to play around 13:00 local time for you and than its about 19:00 here so that is ok if you can make it.
You can always add me and we will see, the plan right now is to play after dinner (eu time)
that is about +-19:00 GMT.
Off course USA people can play with us no problem but the time thing is a problem I admit, but not impossible.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cool, I'll add you. I tend to play at night but I'm sure the opportunity to play at your time will come sometime soon. No one else on my friends list is still playing Gears so it would be nice to have some horde partners.

AkuMifune

Banned
I booted this up to see if the latest title update fixed any of the connection issues (I have no idea if it did), and got sucked back into Horde in a big way. I forgot how much fun it was. Man. I'd rather play laggy Horde than 90% of the other shit out right now.

Add me up, I'll be playing this again for awhile.

So according to Rod Fergusson's Twitter we'll be getting TU6 soon. He also said a couple things over at the Epic forums:

Lots of good stuff inside. Besides TU3 where we added the level system, this is our biggest TU yet.
Sure, I'll give you something small that's actually a really big deal and something I'm very excited about. We think we've fixed the bug that caused people to lose their rank data and reset their level.

That's been a huge problem for some, so I'm glad to see it's getting fixed. Plus if that's something considered small, I can't wait to see what else is in store.

Karram

ThirdEngine said:
That's been a huge problem for some, so I'm glad to see it's getting fixed. Plus if that's something considered small, I can't wait to see what else is in store.
Its pretty obvious that player matches will come with the TU6. That alone makes it awesome.

REV 09 said:
i actually don't want player matches.

Matchmaking ftw!
You'd rather take matchmaking with possible laggy matches over being able to choose being host and just let people drop in whenever? No more waiting between games. Just loading a new map right after the match.

There is so much time lost when using the Gears 2 matchmaking, even if it doesn't take long to find a game nowadays.

Reckoner

ThirdEngine said:
Just like how TU3 was huge and made the game lag-free and playable, amirite?
Are you kidding? I have a 50mbps connection and I still have lag, most of the times while playing with people from the US. Their netcode is just awful and, after each update, they just make their game even more broken to play.

Reckoner

AwesomeSyrup said:
Player matches would get me playing again. That's all I played in Gears 1.
Probably I'll be playing the game again. Just want to see how they're going to integrate that system in Gears 2, and if they do it in a good, almost lag-free way, probably Gears 2 will remain in my drive for the rest of the year while Reach isn't out.

Aladuf

Banned
REV 09 said:
i actually don't want player matches.

Matchmaking ftw!
You just don't want us to be able to swap out weapons for more Torque/Snipe, you just want the power weapons all to yourself, you whore. B;@>o

Reckoner said:
Are you kidding? I have a 50mbps connection and I still have lag, most of the times while playing with people from the US. Their netcode is just awful and, after each update, they just make their game even more broken to play.
Sorry to hear that, but for most of us that play together the lag has been great.

Aladuf

Banned
Shit, I was just thinking, hopefully they throw out a double XP weekend along with TU6. It's been a while since the last one.

33vzotc.jpg

"Uuuuuhhhhh.........."

No matter how fast your internet is, the way gears uses it's networking structure means that when you fire you have to send a packet to the host, who sends it to others and then back again, there is always a delay between your screen and theirs.

Games like counter strike get around this using tricks or have it setup so if you land a hit on your screen, they are dead no matter what. Gears instead waits for the packets to shuffle about a bit before displaying your shot which means the enemy has enough time to straf out of the way or hit you back. This is also a main reason why the host has such an advantage because he has no packet delay on his end, serving instant shotty 2 pieces.

If gears 3 is indeed using dedicated servers then this would mean you could play on one close to your location to minimise delay in shots plus there would never be anyone with 0 ping host advantage. Keeps the grounds of war much more level then the current matchmaking peer to peer system.

I just remembered that Joe Graf said a while back (between TU3 and 4 iirc) that they were experimenting with host migration. Would be sweet if that finally got implemented.

Reckoner

Diablohead said:
No matter how fast your internet is, the way gears uses it's networking structure means that when you fire you have to send a packet to the host, who sends it to others and then back again, there is always a delay between your screen and theirs.

Games like counter strike get around this using tricks or have it setup so if you land a hit on your screen, they are dead no matter what. Gears instead waits for the packets to shuffle about a bit before displaying your shot which means the enemy has enough time to straf out of the way or hit you back. This is also a main reason why the host has such an advantage because he has no packet delay on his end, serving instant shotty 2 pieces.

If gears 3 is indeed using dedicated servers then this would mean you could play on one close to your location to minimise delay in shots plus there would never be anyone with 0 ping host advantage. Keeps the grounds of war much more level then the current matchmaking peer to peer system.
That kind of network structure just ruins all the challenge you may have online. If you're host, then you're not playing in the same condition the other people are, and you're seriously overpowered no matter with weapon you are. They really need to fix that, doesn't make any sense and ruins all the fun that Gears online may have. And I have to say that Gears is one of the most addicting online games I've ever played, since sometimes I continue to play it even if there's an impossible lag.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
ThirdEngine said:
Sorry to hear that, but for most of us that play together the lag has been great.

Bullshit ! I have repeatly want back to GOW2 only to be disappointed every single time. At first I tried to convince myself that it was fine, that is why I am a level 48 but the lag just got to me in the end. There is something wrong when you shoot another player in the back 2 or 3 times in the back and only to have them turn around and kill you in 1 shot. I stick to GOW1 for now because I can at least check the connection quality before joining a game.

Top Bottom