• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Reckoner

TU6 Release Notes 5/17/2010

Holy shit. They should have done this when the game was released!

I really hope they put the smoke grenades useful again. Doesn't make sense them not doing anything to the player. They were great and added some new multiplayer gameplay elements.

Best update for Gears of War 2, EVER. Hope the new host selection really works and makes some progression on the frequent laggy-matches situations.

geeko

Reckoner said:

I really hope they put the smoke grenades useful again. Doesn't make sense them not doing anything to the player. They were great and added some new multiplayer gameplay elements.

Best update for Gears of War 2, EVER. Hope the new host selection really works and makes some progression on the frequent laggy-matches situations.

AWESOME!! So I played today for the first time in a couple months. First 2 matches my team gets our asses kicked and they all quit, so I'm left with 4 AI. Same damn thing happened in the second game I was playing. Said fuck it after that and quit. I'm so glad people can join and quit games now. Anyone know when this patch goes live?

EDIT: Smoke grenades were way overpowered when they knocked you down.

Aladuf

Banned
Great update, the Social match stuff is awesome but I'm really interested in the little note about the shotgun's bullet spread being tweaked for consistency. That could be huge if they made the spread smaller to prevent those frustrating moments in shotgun battles where you'll put a hurting on someone and then they just drop you out of nowhere, or where you run up behind someone, take the shot, watch the guy absorb it only to turn around and one shot kill you.

Hopefully it's coming really soon.

edit: Looks like Rod Fergusson said on the Epic forums that it'll be out in around a week.

Reckoner

geeko420 said:
AWESOME!! So I played today for the first time in a couple months. First 2 matches my team gets our asses kicked and they all quit, so I'm left with 4 AI. Same damn thing happened in the second game I was playing. Said fuck it after that and quit. I'm so glad people can join and quit games now. Anyone know when this patch goes live?

EDIT: Smoke grenades were way overpowered when they knocked you down.
At least, smoke grenades should stun the player like they did or make the enemy drop the shield, if he has one.

Unfortunately, you can only join player matches.

General Fixes
Title Update 6 fixes these other issues as well:
An issue that could cause your profile to be overwritten, erasing XP level, and achievement progress.
An issue that could cause a campaign save slot to be overwritten if you previously chose to continue without saving and then signed in.

FinalFuckingLy.

It only took them 18 months since the game released or 12 months since I had this issue or started complaining. This was the reason why I stopped playing this game and due to the fact that them not fixing that shit for ever, I was even considering of not buying their games for a while until they get their shit straightened up.

Reckoner said:

So awesome. Me and my friend will be playing this game a lot more again.

You seriously want the glichy mess that was the smoke grenade knockdowns? It was the cause of many glitches, and it looked really stupid when you flailed around as a ragdoll.

Sounds good and I will give it a go when it's live, interesting that they make you require all the map packs to use private matches, guess it wasn't such a waste that I bought the all-fronts pack last year then :lol

I like how they added in drop-in drop-out too for social matches especially for hoard, handy.

Facism

This new social game stuff allows a guest to play? And do you really need all the DLC to be able to use it?

Would love to play this again if i can go online splitscreen with my brother.

Facism said:
This new social game stuff allows a guest to play? And do you really need all the DLC to be able to use it?

Would love to play this again if i can go online splitscreen with my brother.
My guess is that you need the DLC cause there will only be one map rotation, meaning all maps in the rotation.

They will have a deal on the map pack once this patch is out. My guess would be that it will only be 800 points for all maps, which is a great price considering that it includes 14 maps + another chapter for the campaign.

I would assume that you can play splitscreen with this. Pretty sure you can already play ranked splitscreen.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Oh my goodness.

I didn't go with the hype for adding Player Matches, because I figured that they were sticking to their guns with the reason for Matchmaking-only, and couldn't change it period because of Microsoft's decision - hooooooooly shit man.

I can't even think of a couple big shooters in the past few years with both matchmaking AND player matches - I'm fucking ecstatic right now, not only because it was totally unexpected to me, but because without a doubt, Gears 3 with have both as well... :D

Epic, I love you guys - always did, and I still played Gears 2 non-stop, till the Reach Beta came out, which I will of course get back to again once the Reach beta is over.

Hot damn.

The rest of those changes are pretty major as well - improving D-pad precision for weapon-selection? Almost never effected me, but excellent news. Improved hit-detection? YES. Increasing hit-consistency with the shottie? Epic, again, love you guys.

People are gonna eat up drop-in drop-out Horde as well, so good.

Cant0na said:
omg, they're still patching this shit? :lol

props though for not abandoning it. but still. focus on gears3 already

Yes, they should just abandon their game when fans want things added, or if the game has a problem.

Please be quiet. Saying this as politely as possible.

I do not get certain people when it comes to Gears at all - damned when they fix their game for their fans, damned if they take a little while if they don't fix a problem by the next day.

Let's not forget the bullshit spewed by many earlier in this very thread, who are even magically on Cliff's nuts in the Gears 3 thread when they used to say ignorant shit like "Epic doesn't care, they're swimming in money", blah blah blah - they took the time to make SIX Title Updates to change their original vision JUST for their fans.

If that doesn't earn mountains of respect, I don't know what does - some games that are completely broken get ONE update, if they're lucky.

Well said.

Yes it was pretty broken at launch, but they did fix it and they are still adding stuff 1.5 years later. Can't think of any other console developer out there that has done this.

I've been playing the game since day 1 and I'm still playing it. Whenever a new big game comes out I stop playing Gears 2 for a while, but I keep going back to when I'm bored with everything else. Doubt I've played anything else on this gen anywhere near the amount of hours that I've played Gears 1 and 2.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Skilotonn said:
I do not get certain people when it comes to Gears at all - damned when they fix their game for their fans, damned if they take a little while if they don't fix a problem by the next day.

Let's not forget the bullshit spewed by many earlier in this very thread, who are even magically on Cliff's nuts in the Gears 3 thread when they used to say ignorant shit like "Epic doesn't care, they're swimming in money", blah blah blah - they took the time to make SIX Title Updates to change their original vision JUST for their fans.

If that doesn't earn mountains of respect, I don't know what does - some games that are completely broken get ONE update, if they're lucky.

I've never seen someone with bigger blinders. You know that it's OK to be critical, right? What do you want people to do? Play the game with a forced smile and pretend that they're having fun? Without criticism things don't improve.

Epic is probably my favourite developer. I spent countless hours with Unreal and UT2K4. They really hit Gears out of the park, too. The campaigns are awesome. Horde is a huge innovation that everyone is now copying. But they dropped the ball. Even a fanboy like me can see it.

Gears 2 MP was shit out of the box. Absolute shit. Game breaking glitches? Check. Lag and super host advantage? Check. Vulnerable to lag switchers? Check. I don't see how anyone could conclude otherwise. I really don't. I consider myself to be a fairly reasonable person. I try to see things from both sides. I honestly don't see how anyone could point to Gears 2 launch MP and say "that right there is a good game".

Yes, Epic responded with patches. But every patch brought new exploits problems with it! Crazy ammo counts, invisibile mode, flying/god mode, etc. They were like British Petroleum trying to plug a leaking pipeline.

Now, after TU5, Gears 2 is pretty amazing. In fact I would say it's the best MP offering on any console (highly subjective of course). Lag is now good. The weapons are balanced nicely. The new maps are awesome. And of course the core gameplay can't be beat.

Obviously Epic knows where they fucked up. The fans told them that. They looked at the game and concluded that. Because of that Gears 3 is shaping to be the best in the series.

Facism

AndyMoogle said:
My guess is that you need the DLC cause there will only be one map rotation, meaning all maps in the rotation.

They will have a deal on the map pack once this patch is out. My guess would be that it will only be 800 points for all maps, which is a great price considering that it includes 14 maps + another chapter for the campaign.

I would assume that you can play splitscreen with this. Pretty sure you can already play ranked splitscreen.

Nah i could never do ranked with a guest account alongside my brother's xbl gold membership. Did this change within the last 4 months?

Shame about the DLC maps being necessary. I don't pay for maps.

2San

Karram said:
They are also removing the shooting delay after the roadie run and evades.
O_O they finally understand what the community wants?

I might actually get exited about Gears 3.
Facism said:
Nah i could never do ranked with a guest account alongside my brother's xbl gold membership. Did this change within the last 4 months?

Shame about the DLC maps being necessary. I don't pay for maps.
Well it was the same with Halo playing ranked means needing XBL gold for both.

geeko

CliffyB said:
Give 'em what they want.

Awesome update cliff, you guys do listen.

absa2u.jpg

RSTEIN

Well, actually Cliff just fucked up everything. There's this little game coming out called Red Dead Redemption... and uh, how the hell are we supposed to play it now?

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
Yeah, but nothing about the delays being removed were in the TU6 notes.

This is the exact quote:

Oh, also... firing delays after roadie run and evades are virtually nonexistent.
Epic Games

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Well, actually Cliff just fucked up everything. There's this little game coming out called Red Dead Redemption... and uh, how the hell are we supposed to play it now?
I was just thinking that exact same thing. Games in 2010 are supposed to pull me away from games that came out in 2008, not the other way around.

h3ro said:
Addendum post after the original notes.

RSTEIN said:
This is the exact quote:

Oh, also... firing delays after roadie run and evades are virtually nonexistent.
Epic Games
Well now everyone knows I'm too lazy to scroll down like, one wheel rotation.

see5harp

I love this game but the netcode is still straight doo doo. Played last weekend for the first time in forever and wonder what the point of a smoke grenade is now. Still feels laggier than any other AAA shooter on the market. Hopeful for Gears 3.

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
Well now everyone knows I'm too lazy to scroll down like, one wheel rotation.
Funny how you're not too lazy to roadie run to the power weapon on every map... every single round...

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
:D the only reason I go 15-0 almost every night is because I ride your coattails.
Shit, it's not me, it's because almost every night there's at least 4 of us playing Gears 2 together running down other teams like a well oiled machine.

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
Shit, it's not me, it's because almost every night there's at least 4 of us playing Gears 2 together running down other teams like a well oiled machine.

uh, it's not oil... *wink* *wink*

see5harp

Aladuf said:

Invite me please. I'm pleasant and am growing tired of running into groups of you bastards.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
TU6 = 6x XP

Do it, Cliff.
We'll be getting to that level 100 in no time, boys.

I'll take any damn XP multiplier, though. Even with Gears 3 just under a year away I can't tell if getting to level 100 when I'm at 62 now is even realistic.

Zezboob

CliffyB said:
Give 'em what they want.
Remember these words, because we will not forget.

Now... I have to admit that I will try this TU6.
I am even interested about what "dramatically reduce the cost of the All Fronts Collection" really means.

Aladuf

Banned
see5harp said:
Invite me please. I'm pleasant and am growing tired of running into groups of you bastards.
Sent one, about half of the time we've got a fifth person and the other half we don't, so I'll let you know whenever.

Top Bottom