• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

well holy shit, a patch that actually trys to address the core problems with the game

Karram said:
They are also removing the shooting delay after the roadie run and evades.

yes yes oh god yes!

umm...hey guys. :D i think i will finally pick up Dark Corners when it goes down in price

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
RSTEIN said:
I've never seen someone with bigger blinders. You know that it's OK to be critical, right? What do you want people to do? Play the game with a forced smile and pretend that they're having fun? Without criticism things don't improve.

Epic is probably my favourite developer. I spent countless hours with Unreal and UT2K4. They really hit Gears out of the park, too. The campaigns are awesome. Horde is a huge innovation that everyone is now copying. But they dropped the ball. Even a fanboy like me can see it.

Gears 2 MP was shit out of the box. Absolute shit. Game breaking glitches? Check. Lag and super host advantage? Check. Vulnerable to lag switchers? Check. I don't see how anyone could conclude otherwise. I really don't. I consider myself to be a fairly reasonable person. I try to see things from both sides. I honestly don't see how anyone could point to Gears 2 launch MP and say "that right there is a good game".

Yes, Epic responded with patches. But every patch brought new exploits problems with it! Crazy ammo counts, invisibile mode, flying/god mode, etc. They were like British Petroleum trying to plug a leaking pipeline.

Now, after TU5, Gears 2 is pretty amazing. In fact I would say it's the best MP offering on any console (highly subjective of course). Lag is now good. The weapons are balanced nicely. The new maps are awesome. And of course the core gameplay can't be beat.

Obviously Epic knows where they fucked up. The fans told them that. They looked at the game and concluded that. Because of that Gears 3 is shaping to be the best in the series.

Blinders? Right.

I'm definitely not going to say the game was perfect, but despite them fixing things, there was an excessive amount of ignorant bitching - some of the things you mentioned were there, were annoying, but were fixed early and luckily were barely seen - they messed up with their second title of a brand new franchise & direction, okay.

But the effort they put out definitely deserved some decency, especially with Microsoft's two-week certification to deal with. What pissed me off the most were the "they don't care" bullshit that people kept spewing, despite the updates, which were even based off of fan requests - can't think of many others that do the same.

Regardless, I'm just glad that phase is over, it's like everyone finally grew up now, and hopefully some proper discussions will go on in Gears topics now, because I know quite a number of GAFfers still play regularly, but probably didn't dare to post in a cess-pool of complaints.

Continue to keep it classy.

Now, reading that the shooting delay from roadie running and rolling is gone is just the icing on the cake - my goodness I missed that, and have died at some critical times because of that, oh yes.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
I am praying that the 6th time is the charm. Man it would be great to play some Gears this weekend, please Epic don't fail me.

VX-4000cop_150pm.jpg

"Control we have reports that the patch has not been released. I repeat, the patch has not been released."

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
ThirdEngine said:
VX-4000cop_150pm.jpg

"Control we have reports that the patch has not been released. I repeat, the patch has not been released."

dude, it's still not funny.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Nelo Ice

Banned
damn looks like i'll have to pick up gears 2 again :lol

think i'll burn one of my $10 gs coupons and pick up the goty edition for $20

Z_Y

I've had Gears 2 since launch and just recently got around to finishing the campaign. It was a great ride.

Never been a big fan of Gears MP (because I really suck at it) but I started goofing around in Horde and now I am hooked. Are there any deals on the All Fronts expansion pack? Does that include EVERYTHING DLC-wise for Gears 2? I want to grab it but man...$20 for DLC when the Game of the Year edition is sitting there with everything included for $28 (amazon)...it just doesn't sit well with me, I guess. I wish they'd drop it some. I'd be all over it at 800msp...I might even bite at 1200msp

The All Fronts Map Pack is 800MSP now. Well worth it imo.

EDIT: It includes ALL map packs released for Gears 2. Plus the extra campaign chapter.

Aladuf

Banned
Good interview about TU6 with Rod Fergusson right here. It explains exactly how the Social matches are going to work (jumping in and out, matchmaking).

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7...usson-On-New-Gears-of-War-2-Title-Update.html

Z_Y said:
I've had Gears 2 since launch and just recently got around to finishing the campaign. It was a great ride.

Never been a big fan of Gears MP (because I really suck at it) but I started goofing around in Horde and now I am hooked. Are there any deals on the All Fronts expansion pack? Does that include EVERYTHING DLC-wise for Gears 2? I want to grab it but man...$20 for DLC when the Game of the Year edition is sitting there with everything included for $28 (amazon)...it just doesn't sit well with me, I guess. I wish they'd drop it some. I'd be all over it at 800msp...I might even bite at 1200msp
Looks like you're in luck. There is something about that at the bottom of the interview at the top of the post, the All Fronts pack is dropping to 800 MS points with TU6.

edit: beaten. I need to refresh the page before I post. :p

G4: Can you give us the scoop on the "All Fronts collection" price drop? What will the collection's new price be? And why is the drop happening now?

RF: Sure! With the release of Title Update 6, we'll be dropping the price of the All Fronts Collection down to 800 points (a 50% drop). All Fronts is the collection of all four Gears 2 DLC map packs (also individually reduced in price), which represents 14 multiplayer maps and a "deleted scene" campaign level.

Z_Y

AndyMoogle said:

EDIT: It includes ALL map packs released for Gears 2. Plus the extra campaign chapter.

Aladuf said:
Looks like you're in luck. There is something about that at the bottom of the interview at the top of the post, the All Fronts pack is dropping to 800 MS points with TU6.

edit: beaten. I need to refresh the page before I post. :p

Ahhhhh...thank you both!

Now...I wish I had a million dollars.

*furiously pounds f5*

REV 09

Aladuf said:
You're walking a dangerous line with that one. :lol
christ this is great!!:lol :lol we don't need no stinkin patch. entertainment to the max.

I will blow my load if it's re-mastered, ala gow collection.

since you like to shit on people, you'll like this one. :lol
I'd shit my pants and then buy 3...at least.
One for me and 2 for my close ps3-owning friends.
I will highjack the truck delivering these just so I can play before you all.
grand theft isn't exclusive anymore son...no need for that.

Reading that interview just reminds me of some of the great things Epic put in Gears 2.

For example all the server side stuff they can do. They can change the power, ammo etc for each weapon on the server side instead of releasing a new patch just to change a few weapons (*cough*MW2*cough*).

I also love the "What's Up?" menu. More games should have that.

And it should be a requirement to have clear achievement progress in all games by now. I hate it when a game have "Kill X people", or whatever, and then don't show a progress bar or anything. Don't think Gears 2 was first with this, but it was well implemented with the small popups and the achievement scrapbook.

Btw, they will have 3x XP for all modes starting tomorrow. Will last until June 1st.

Rod Fergusson said:
Triple XP event lands on Thursday morning, 9 AM EDT to celebrate the arrival of TU6. Ends on June 1 9 AM EDT. Have fun! - Rod

2San

AndyMoogle said:

I'm trying to dl it, but the moment I click to download it says it needs 1600msp? Any one have the same problem(I am from the Netherlands, Europe)?
edit: nvm It's fixed

800 points for all fronts is amazing, sort of wish I waited but eh I would always say that to something I own that becomes cheaper in the future, 1600 allards was good value too for so many maps and an extra chapter with achievements added.

Look forward to the patch later to give me a reason to play gears 2 online again for a while, then become pissed off at getting put into american hosted games as a UK player and having half a second delays on all my weapon shots.

While we're waiting I thought I'd start some fan fiction. Pointers?

"As a child, hard labor was the only thing that Minh Young Kim knew. Growing up in the secluded forests of Sera, he and his family took great pride in their farm. Minh was also the local cut-up, and would do such things as pretending to be a cow and milk himself."

I am reading that they changed how the shotgun bullets show, not in pattern but as in the hit is now instant but it doesn't mean the bullets are actually hitting the target, aka fake information like the lancer and hammerburst show.

Let me just say that if true that fucks up guessing and working out lag in matches even worse now, shotguns are soo hit or miss that you need to know if you hit them or not, using a fake display when you actually missed due to ping is wrong, completely wrong.

Already a bad step forward and I not even installed the patch yet!

birdman

ThirdEngine said:
While we're waiting I thought I'd start some fan fiction. Pointers?

"As a child, hard labor was the only thing that Minh Young Kim knew. Growing up in the secluded forests of Sera, he and his family took great pride in their farm. Minh was also the local cut-up, and would do such things as pretending to be a cow and milk himself."

Needs more unrequited love for Carmine, Kim holding him and gazing longingly into his eyes.

MjFrancis

I'm really tempted to put Resonance of Fate to the side for a while and take advantage of the new price on the All Fronts Collection. Ten dollars is reasonable for content like this, and the extra XP deal until June 1st has to be helpful for a noob to jump back in.

REV 09

Ballistik said:
Well it seems you can kill each other with the shotgun now.. like how halo's melee system is.
as in, both of you die...right?

also, i read one person mention on the epic forums that concussion grenades are back...for the love of god tell me this isn't true.

Just tried 3 matches of Social Wingman. Holy shit is all I can say. It takes 20 secs tops before you're in the next game. So awesome.

Smoke grenades acting as concussion grenades happens from time to time. It's just a glitch. Maybe 1 match in 100, if that, has the old smoke grenades. It seems that sometimes the server side changes glitch out and it goes back to default settings.

Aladuf

Banned
The kill for kill thing with the shotgun is great. It already came into play for me 4-5 times in the few matches I just played, I love how it works.

The shotgun is crazy because it actually feels consistently powerful. And the quickscope/popshot is effective again and isn't fucked up like it was pre-patch. No more dumbass blindfire shotgun battles for me anymore, back to comfortable shotgun dancing.

edit: Also, the instant map swapping without leaving the game and going back to the lobby is awesome. Feels just like the old player matches of Gears 1 where there's never a real break in the action.

Ballistik said:
Well it seems you can kill each other with the shotgun now.. like how halo's melee system is.
Now this is interesting if so I prefer it, both people shot, both get a kill. I know some people hate it with the melee in halo but it's the only way to balance out that lag.

Shit I really need to move my butt and try this update out before I mouth it any longer.

*edit* seems host can boot you from social games, piss off the host (by winning or something) and expect a boot :lol

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=730157

REV 09

well this thread died quick.

impressions from the internets
Lee Perry I salute you. You and the others have effectively fixed the Gnasher shotgun.

The new spread works wonders. I'm gibbing when I'm supposed to gib.
Popshot works fine now.
Hipfire spread is actually wider, which makes A LOT more sense, but it is still effective.

A VERY big "well done!" regarding the CSHD, too. I've been killing and getting killed at the same time, when usually it was only getting killed because of connection issues, no matter if my shot was placed perfectly. Now the game actually rewards me if I did good. Thank you thank you thank you for fixing that. <3

I'm also loving the way Social matches run seamlessly. The fact that you have to wait just a few seconds after you finish the game and jump back into the next is very much appreciated. Great!

The only weird thing that's happened to me so far is on Ranked, a guy quit and then Skorge Bot took his place, but he was missing the * and he also kept the level from the guy that left. In other words, there was a level 58 Skorge in my team. WTH?

This is, together with TU3, DEFINITELY the best update ever. This is the way the game should have shipped in the first place. I'm loving it. Thank you Epic!!!

Aladuf

Banned
Diablohead said:
*edit* seems host can boot you from social games, piss off the host (by winning or something) and expect a boot :lol

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=730157
A friend and I were playing and the match ended and we both got tossed to the lobby with a message saying "the host has removed you" and I just figured it was because I had just royally shit on some people and they weren't going to have it anymore, but since it was both of us who got booted, we just figured it was just an incorrect message for the host quitting out.

I'm not sure which it was but the people in that thread seem to be convinced the host can boot. *shrugs*

Top Bottom