• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

FrankT

cjelly said:
Can't find a better picture, but the UK (not sure about the rest of Europe), gets a Gears 1 + Gears 2 + X360 60GB bundle tomorrow. :D

3008034377_e341c735ed_o.gif

Even went with a Gears Box, awesome. No plain jane is good.

123rl

I've put about an hour into single player mode so far and holy fuck this is an impressive game. I'm sure Cliffy reads GAF. If so then I have to say: congratulations, Epic, on the incredible levels at the beginning of the game!! You have seriously exceeded my expectations already. That
chase sequence where you shoot down the other tank before you get to the bridge
was seriously impressive!

Aladuf

Banned
cjelly said:
Can't find a better picture, but the UK (not sure about the rest of Europe), gets a Gears 1 + Gears 2 + X360 60GB bundle tomorrow. :D

3008034377_e341c735ed_o.gif
Greatest bundle ever? Yes.

UK gets a damn good bundle there, sexy box to go with it too.

Dirtbag

The Nature Roy said:
I'm guessing the Mad World ad (and the constant airing of it for months) helped Gears of War just a tiny bit.

Effectiveness is judged by dollars spent vs. numbers of viewers.
Television as a marketing medium has seen a major drop off in overall effectiveness, I'm not talking about Gears of War specific. Tivo and DVR, advent of internet (as news and entertainment forum),increase in raw channel numbers/options, and increase in quality programming over the past 5-10 years, has done a number on TV. Its pretty widely understood that any successful ad campaign now is spread across the gamut of PR, print, web, and tv (with a spattering of non-traditional on occasion). All this leads to my statement that TV is easily the most over-rated form of advertising.

I could point you to any number of articles on it, but just google "effectiveness of television advertisements" and I'm sure you'd find tons of stuff. There really is no shortage of studies done on it.

You bring up Mad World ad, but how many gamers saw that same ad on the web or XBLM? Then you can probably guess how much cheaper it is to run ad placement in those avenues.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I shoudlnt have a problem getting this from best buy midnight launch right? They arent wack like gamestop when it comes to preorders are they?

Kweh said:
"The disc is unreadable"

Why me, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
Heh, and I was just going to remark how nice it was there aren't any of the same launch defects as Halo 3 :lol

Are you sure it isn't your Xbox?

jdub03

so who wants some 48 hour trials. Ill trade for a hammerburst code. I have over a years worth of them. I wont give you all of them but ill part with enough so that you'll be satisfied. Let me know. I feel like I'm being left out by not having one. I already have the le edition though.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
MThanded said:
I shoudlnt have a problem getting this from best buy midnight launch right? They arent wack like gamestop when it comes to preorders are they?

I've never tried best buy but wal mart never fails me when I HAVNT already preordered.

I just hope they have the CE's here in Atlanta.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The only reason i ask is that I have a best buy giftcard an would rather use that then spend some cash somewhere else.

Gears of war 1 was my first 360 game.

Kweh

_dementia said:
Heh, and I was just going to remark how nice it was there aren't any of the same launch defects as Halo 3 :lol

Are you sure it isn't your Xbox?

Pretty sure as I've been playing Fallout 3 on it the last few days withough any problems, and it's just loaded that up again fine.

FrankT

Dyne said:
Hot damn, I can't wait for midnight. I will wait in the rain to get this tonight.

I think the rain is going to hit just a bit after that here. :D I imagine the line at my local GS will be bigger than that of GTA IV, which was pretty large to say the least.

Anyone know if Walmart will have the Collector's Edition in stores? I noticed they don't have the CE for Resistance 2 or Fallout 3 in stores (only online) and I want to try and pick it up early in the morning before BB or CC open.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Nardonicus said:
Anyone know if Walmart will have the Collector's Edition in stores? I noticed they don't have the CE for Resistance 2 or Fallout 3 in stores (only online) and I want to try and pick it up early in the morning before BB or CC open.

The only Fallout 3 CEs that are only available online are the CE bundles. For example the ones that have a bonus T-Shirt with it. The Fallout 3 CE itself, standalone are available in stores via wal-mart.com.

The GOW2 LE is not available in stores because there is a walmart.com gift card attached to it online. Not saying that GOW2 LE will be at the stores at midnight, but just saying some of the evidence you are presenting does have valid reasons for not being available in stores.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
VASPER said:
How do i activate te gold lancer? I have the limited edtion.

Proceed to level 4, chapter 2. See the immulsion lake to your right? Walk up to what looks like a chain/cranking device that hangs into the lake. Press X to attach the lancer to the chain. Hold X to lower the lancer into the immulsion. Hit A to bring it back up. Your lancer should be completely covered in immulsion. If not, repeat the process. You'll know if you did it properly because Cole should say "look at all that juice on dat lancer! Woo! Time to get messy!"

RSTEIN said:
Proceed to level 4, chapter 2. See the immulsion lake to your right? Walk up to what looks like a chain/cranking device that hangs into the lake. Press X to attach the lancer to the chain. Hold X to lower the lancer into the immulsion. Hit A to bring it back up. Your lancer should be completely covered in immulsion. If not, repeat the process. You'll know if you did it properly because Cole should say "look at all that juice on dat lancer! Woo! Time to get messy!"
:lol :lol :lol

allreal

RSTEIN said:

wow if your serious..that is fuking awesome.

FinKL

So I got the game yesterday @ 7-11
First Impressions:

Played Horde (Was kinda disappointed we couldn't do 2ppl on a Console via Live until AFTER I figured out, the other player needed an Xbox Account (Silver))
People on my friends list "OMG OMG OMG HOW HOW HOW DO YOU HAVE IT!!!"
Gorgeous graphics, though two player split screen does impede some line of sight.

We played Day One Horde and surprisingly, my girlfriend wanted to play as well. She doesn't play FPS so I put it on Casual. I told her to go up stairs and press A and shoot from above on the railing thing.

I also told her I'll watch the stairs since thats the only place they could get her...

She's like "OMG MY SOMETHING BIG IS COMING!!! MY CONTROL IS VIBRATING!"
"I got the stairs don't worry" ;) As I dash through the middle area

Next thing you know she's getting wacked by a boomer. lmfao <3

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Nardonicus said:

The walmart where I live has the fallout lunchbox, and the other CE...they also have the Battlefield gold edition. So idk if they will have the gears of war 2 but I reckon they will since it's the biggest game of the gear (WoW lol)

rhino4evr

FinKL said:
So I got the game yesterday @ 7-11

"OMG MY SOMETHING BIG IS COMING!!! MY CONTROL IS VIBRATING!"

you better keep your eye on this one sir....if your 360 pad looks extra shiny one day make sure to ask questions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit this game can look absolutely amazing at times. I'm at the tunnels in Landown and the lighting is just incredible.

So this silly gold dipped weapons nonsense... is it removable once you apply it to the lancer or hammerburst? Just curious.

I will be partaking in some GOW2 goodness in a short few hours. Who's up for an online match?

The gamertag is FLUFFER. (awesome, yes, I know)

Oh you're being sarcastic. That's nice. Funny thing is, I wouldn't put it past GOW to have that in the game. It's a pretty bombastic property, you know?

So Mr. Sarcasm, dare to match up against me online? FLUFFER will dip you in gold immulsion.

bumpkin

Well, my reservation store definitely isn't doing a midnight thing but hearing all you guys talk about how awesome the game is had me looking for a way to get a copy before tomorrow.

Plan A involved calling the other nearby GameStop -- one I didn't reserve at -- to ask about their midnight release. Seems they have enough LEs to cover the preorders but that's it. That was pretty much what I expected but I had to check.

Plan B involved the emergence (heh heh) of Gears 2 at some 7-11 stores. Given that my local store is one that carries games, I thought about checking there... But even if I could find a disgruntled or ignorant employee, they most likely only have the regular sku, so that plan's out as well. I want the LE.

Plan C has come down to checking my local 24 hour Wally World at midnight tonight. I hate giving money to those sons of bitches but the Gears must be mine. I've seen a few people go back and forth on whether Walmart will have the LE in-store, but I figure it couldn't hurt to check. Either way, wish me luck in my pursuit!

...and even if I come up empty-handed, then I can just hit the store I have it reserved at on my lunch break tomorrow or after I get out. I'm just impatient. :lol

Top Bottom