• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Stantron

Is the LE packaging ...a metal case like the Lost Planet LE... or a tin box like the first Gears LE? If it's a tin box, I may have to pass. I hate that clunky shit.

mintylurb

Well, I just got gow2 from frys.com. The case is cracked but at least the disc seems to be fine.
gow2_01.jpg

Anyway, has anyone noticed this discoloration?

gow2_02.jpg

Aladuf

Banned
Stantron said:
Is the LE packaging ...a metal case like the Lost Planet LE... or a tin box like the first Gears LE? If it's a tin box, I may have to pass. I hate that clunky shit.
Steelbook like Lost Planet LE.

mintylurb said:
I don't have Gears 2 yet but I've seen that on plenty of 360 games in the past. Never gave me any issues or anything.

Ifrit

Just ordered from circuit city, and got a free 1600 MS points card with it :)

Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks to play it :(

Shins

Banned
1UP said:
Still, this wasn't necessarily apparent after the first hour of a three-day offsite Gears of War 2 review marathon. It's actually easy to think of the game as something closer to Gears 1.5 at first.

1UP said:
It's actually easy to think of the game as something closer to Gears 1.5 at first.

1UP said:
at first.

I wonder if this means their opinion changed as they played on. I mean, I could read the review and find out, sure. But its easier to just go on the score. I'm a busy man. I have real priorities.

Obviously, since they gave it a higher score (WOOOOO!!!!!!!!!), Resistance 2 is a flaming pile of shit with no redeeming quality, and I shant ever lay my eyes upon its stinking, rotted form.
huh.gif

mintylurb

Aladuf said:
Steelbook like Lost Planet LE.

I don't have Gears 2 yet but I've seen that on plenty of 360 games in the past. Never gave me any issues or anything.
Ok, that's good to hear. My other 360 games don't have that so I was a bit worried. On the back of the case, it says made in puerto rico so for a second I thought frys.com tried to pull a fast one on me and sent me some pirated gow2!:lol

Anyway, when you do get it do check if your copy also has this discoloration.

Aladuf

Banned
mintylurb said:
Ok, that's good to hear. My other 360 games don't have that so I was a bit worried. On the back of the case, it says made in puerto rico so for a second I thought frys.com tried to pull a fast one on me and sent me some pirated gow2!:lol

No problem, I'll just PM you since it'll probably get lost in the thread otherwise.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Oh wow, didn't know they were manufacturing games in the plant here in Puerto Rico. Don't worry, top notch quality :D

Blackface

Banned
Ok, I have a question. I was playing for a bit this morning. I got up to dirty little secret. Turned the console off. I want to play again, so I went into solo campaign, and pressed A on my save. It makes a noise, but it does not load anything.

Am I doing something wrong? :lol

dk_

Trax416 said:
Ok, I have a question. I was playing for a bit this morning. I got up to dirty little secret. Turned the console off. I want to play again, so I went into solo campaign, and pressed A on my save. It makes a noise, but it does not load anything.

Am I doing something wrong? :lol
Same here. Came here to post that. WTF!?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
mintylurb said:

Dude I'd return it anyways after you play the shit out of it tonight, better being safe and all that

cameltoe

professor_t said:
7-11. So Awesome.

yup...

the chick was like looking at the case trying to figure out where to scan it, and I notice right across the top...DO NOT SELL UNTIL 11-07-08!! I start sweating!! "shit, she's gonna see that shit and Im fucked, no game for me"...she inspects the case for what feels like 15 minutes......found the upc, scanned, bagged...MINE!!

Kibbles

HOLY SHIT :D My GameCrazy is having a Gears of War 2 Tournament stating at 8, I'm going.

I know some of you have it already, but this is exciting for me, because I get to play it to hold off until I buy it :p This is all according to my friend.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Shins said:
I wonder if this means their opinion changed as they played on.

I was having a conversation with a co-worker today who only played for like 20 minutes last night and complained, "Its just like the first one."

I totally agreed with him, then reassured him that the at least next 3 hours are exactly what he wants.

It really does feel like Gears 1.5 as you start playing, "Hrmm, seems to look a little better. Environments very similar. Controls are maybe a bit more responsive - I don't get stuck to random stuff as much. This is... decent"

The game starts off playing it safe, I assume to not alienate the millions of fans from the first Gears. After that Epic just grabs you by the short and curlies and doesn't let go!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Keikoku said:
Lol at sonyfans comparing R2 to Gears 2. Gears 2 is just not the same standing.
We can have 2 great games. In some people eyes R2 will be just a good or better. I personally think Gears will be the better but to each his own.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
thebigkahuna said:
7-11 has netted me Fallout 3 and Gears 2 early (Halo 3 last year). I only wish they sold more games.
It's amazing how their managers are literally congratulating customers when they buy a game early from them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Are we talking the convenience store 7-11? If so then they have come a long ways. When I lived in SoCal about 6 years ago I went in there for nachos and some SamSho2. Look at them now.

Kibbles said:
HOLY SHIT :D My GameCrazy is having a Gears of War 2 Tournament stating at 8, I'm going.

I know some of you have it already, but this is exciting for me, because I get to play it to hold off until I buy it :p This is all according to my friend.
Wow, if they're charging and not planning on giving out damn decent prizes thats a pretty bullshit way to make a quick buck.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:

Yeah same here, and it always make me nervous. To date, the weird splotches have never caused any problems. I've always wondered what causes it.

HoTHiTTeR

mintylurb said:
Well, I just got gow2 from frys.com. The case is cracked but at least the disc seems to be fine.
gow2_01.jpg

gow2_02.jpg

I've got a bunch of spare cases, let me know if you want me to send you one if you don't get Fry's to replace it.

RSTEIN said:
Yeah same here, and it always make me nervous. To date, the weird splotches have never caused any problems. I've always wondered what causes it.
I was thinking it's excess clumps of whatever dye that gives that disc the champagne/gold color

Hey guys can you do me a big favor?

I didn't preorder and I'd really like to get it at a midnight launch. What's the best place to go without a preorder?

h3ro

DancingJesus said:

I didn't preorder and I'd really like to get it at a midnight launch. What's the best place to go without a preorder?

This is the biggest release of the year. If you can't just walk into any game store tonight and pick this game up, it's time to knock down some freaking bookshelves.

At the GTAIV midnight launch (GameCrazy), there was plenty of people showing up without preorders and the owner assured us there would be more than enough copies for everyone...

That being said, go to 7-11, you should be fine...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
After 10 hours of Campaign, Horde, and a little multiplayer, my eyes are burning...

Holy CRAP what a game - Epic delivered.

Surpasses their original Gears, and it just feels deeper gameplay-wise - I've actually converted from a shotty-lover to a Hammerburst lover now (the shottie still gets one-shot kills, and still does good damage, despite whatever some people said, now there is just a bigger delay between shots) so I don't hate it, I'll only pull it out when I double-teamed upclose...

People also said you move slower - I disagree, because you are so fluid as hell now that there is no start-up from roll to roadie run anymore - you can roadie run immediately after a roll, and sliding into/between cover is so much faster now - best of all is, they nailed the "stickiness" to walls and corners perfectly now - not once have I ever gotten stuck today with frantic movement the way I would sometimes in Gears - and it only takes a slight tap to get off of a wall now, even when you have the camera turned around - in Gears 1 that was the hardest thing to do...

That's all I'll say for now because my eyes are literally burning right now, and I think that it's from the awesomeness of the game... I'm halfway through the Campaign, and if you aren't wowed by the things I've seen so far, you have no soul - it's a hell of an experience with some great action and insane, creative level designs...

They put a lot of people to shame with this game - bravo Epic, Bra. Vo.

Time for bed.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The little refinements are brilliant.

I'm only 30 mins in, I can't wait to get home and play more. So far, so good.

The game is absurdly addicting, I NEED TO PLAY MORE!

Oh yeah and the multiplayer party system/match-making system seems top notch so far. I can't wait get together with some friends (and fellow GAFers! Add me, GT: "Rez Mistle") and kick some ass. Horde mode is going to be insane.

X26

Banned
Even if I wanted to get this otnight, no midnight launch her whatsover :/

9am for me, and with no school/work I'll be able to vegitate for a few hours without worry

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
DancingJesus said:

Yeah, 24 hour Wal-Mart is the way to go. I am sure MS shipped about 12 trillion copies for the US so it shouldn't be any problem getting a copy tonight. GS/EB might be constrained, or atleast act like they are, hit Wal-Mart to avoid all that foolishness.

dskillzhtown said:
Yeah, 24 hour Wal-Mart is the way to go. I am sure MS shipped about 12 trillion copies for the US so it shouldn't be any problem getting a copy tonight. GS/EB might be constrained, or atleast act like they are, hit Wal-Mart to avoid all that foolishness.
Walmarts are always a safe bet for midnight launches. They always have plenty of copies and you don't have to worry about pre-ordering ahead of time. The only problem is that you have to enter a Walmart.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Skilotonn said:
After 10 hours of Campaign, Horde, and a little multiplayer, my eyes are burning...

Holy CRAP what a game - Epic delivered.

Surpasses their original Gears, and it just feels deeper gameplay-wise - I've actually converted from a shotty-lover to a Hammerburst lover now (the shottie still gets one-shot kills, and still does good damage, despite whatever some people said, now there is just a bigger delay between shots) so I don't hate it, I'll only pull it out when I double-teamed upclose...

People also said you move slower - I disagree, because you are so fluid as hell now that there is no start-up from roll to roadie run anymore - you can roadie run immediately after a roll, and sliding into/between cover is so much faster now - best of all is, they nailed the "stickiness" to walls and corners perfectly now - not once have I ever gotten stuck today with frantic movement the way I would sometimes in Gears - and it only takes a slight tap to get off of a wall now, even when you have the camera turned around - in Gears 1 that was the hardest thing to do...

That's all I'll say for now because my eyes are literally burning right now, and I think that it's from the awesomeness of the game... I'm halfway through the Campaign, and if you aren't wowed by the things I've seen so far, you have no soul - it's a hell of an experience with some great action and insane, creative level designs...

They put a lot of people to shame with this game - bravo Epic, Bra. Vo.

Time for bed.
Sounds great thanks for the impressions. Cant wait to play in the morning.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
NOOOO!!! When I was going out to buy the game the rear tire was making strange sounds and when i went to check it... the tire was breaking in pieces don't ask me why!! =( =( =(. So I had to return, with a flat tire, and no possibility of getting the game tonight.

Marvie_3

Banned
Bastards.....my Gamestop isn't doing a midnight opening. I have the game paid in full and now I have to wait until tomorrow after classes to pick it up....

Top Bottom