• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

kbear said:
Anyone think they'll have the golden hammerburst and lancer available for download eventually? I'd pay 100 points for the hammerburst
You are everything that is wrong with Xbox Live Marketplace.

Hey, remember back in the day when special weapons were earned from achieving objectives in the game instead of buying them with real money?

guise

duckroll said:
I had that Lancer problem all day yesterday, but 10mins ago it worked fine. You don't enter the code again, codes are only valid once. What you do is go to Account Management and Download History. You should see the Gold Lancer download there and you can just keep trying to download it again. Hope that helps.

Yeah i had the same problem, re-downloading via download history worked for me too

kbear

Nah, I've rarely bought 'horse armor' type stuff. Total I've bought is like a ninja gaiden gamer pic pack and a couple themes, that's it. It's just that those golden guns look pretty sick. Come on...you know you want one.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
One thing: Kick ass. I am on Act 5 now, which definitely seems like will be the greatest fucking act in a game that is fucking awesome on its own. Really I can't stop playing :lol I feel like I am gonna go on a 50 Level Horde with some pals on Avalanche, people have said it's easier there.

This game = Awesome.

The "chase" scene looked like CGI. The Dominic scene did strike me as a surprise
I thought he would find Maria well and alive
. The story is getting convoluted though, but I'll see how it ends. I am expecting a Halo 2 ending though :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just beat the game - yup, yup, yup - they said it on day one, and boy did they mean it.

Bigger, Better, and More Badass indeed! :D

What a hell of a ride Epic... the team is truly a talented team to not only come up with this engine in the first place, but to have the creativity to come up with the level design and keep so many new ideas from beginning to end - just when you think you've seen it all, they go and top it in the next level...

Loved the pacing, and the dialogue is what you've expect from a blockbuster movie of this type - it still gets me when people expect Shakespeare on a friggin' battlefield - (and I'm saying this in the most polite way that I can)... :lol

Applause Epic - you guys delivered big time - I had huge expectations coming from 2 years non-stop of Gears of War, and you guys topped them all!

Now it's time to play Public Matches for the first time - from what I read here, there are issues with waiting to find a match for less than five people, we'll see what I get then...

Probably gonna hit Insane in co-op tomorrow or so with a buddy...

JB1981

why are some of the video cut scenes so heavily compressed? I understand they probably wanted to do things with the camera, that they otherwise couldn't do with the in-game engine, and I do think the storytelling is pretty damn tight at the early going, but shit the cutscene compression is real ugly.

Rez>You said:
Same thing happened to me. I think it's a caching issue. Have you been playing Fallout 3?

In any case, clear your cache and the whole menu system should run smoother.

To clear it:

Go to the System Blade on the Dashboard
Select Memory
Select your Hard Drive with the "Y" button
Press the following combo: X,X,LB,RB,X,X

This will also erase any patches that you have downloaded, but that shouldn't be an issue, they can be redownloaded.

Thanks man. Tried it and it works fine now..

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JB1981 said:
why are some of the video cut scenes so heavily compressed? I understand they probably wanted to do things with the camera, that they otherwise couldn't do with the in-game engine, and I do think the storytelling is pretty damn tight at the early going, but shit the cutscene compression is real ugly.

The only FMVs (which look very badly compressed) are at the beginning, and I am confident the engine could have run those scenes since later areas look much more intense and better than that.

eso76

dark10x said:
Man, the game just keeps getting better. My only real disappointment at this point are the visuals and environment designs. Now, I'm only halfway through Act 3, but the scenery just hasn't been anywhere near as compelling as the original game.

just made it to the caves and at this point i have to agree.
So far graphics have been underwhelming, save for a couple cutscenes that did look very nice. I would say gow2 pushes more geometry than the first but the design and architectures so far have been significantly less interesting, coupled with the fact the game doesn't always succeed in hiding the fact you basically move along a detailed corridor placed in the middle of a huge bitmap skydome.

Also, you can tell they tried to make you care about Dom and Wife, but i found their attempts cringeworthy. It just doesn't fit.

Merguson said:
So what happened to
Dizzy? Did he get sliced up by Skorge or is he still alive?

ENDING SPOILER

They never said. It's just like how they never said what happened to the Locust Queen after she escaped. Expect them back for Gears of War 3

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm midway through Act 3....all I can say is Epic gets it. It's the highest praise I can offer.

My friend said, "You know what's amazing about razorhail? It doesn't accumulate." :lol

How Epic has taken their "platforming" mechanic and evolved it into a complete gameplay feature is just unbelievable. What an amazing game.

Come on...you know you want one.

Not in the least.

Kweh

So, my first copy of Gears 2 wouldn't work, I kept getting the "Disc is unreadable" error, so I got the game replaced for another copy, just tried it and it still gives that error.

Is my 360 fucked? All my other games have worked fine, why is it happening for Gears 2 only?

Captain N

Kweh said:
So, my first copy of Gears 2 wouldn't work, I kept getting the "Disc is unreadable" error, so I got the game replaced for another copy, just tried it and it still gives that error.

Is my 360 fucked? All my other games have worked fine, why is it happening for Gears 2 only?

That happened to me with Viva Pinata 2 and then slowly, every single title stopped working and Microsoft now wants 100 dollars to fix it.

SonComet

I haven't beaten the game yet, but in one sitting I got to the final area. Played from 7:30PM to 2:30AM last night to do so. This game is far far better than the first for me in every possible way. Like it's ridiculous how much better it is. And the graphics are much better than I thought they would be. Sure it has a lot of small issues that people are making a huge deal over in other games like R2. But the art direction and overall package just brings it to that next level.

Keep in mind that my brain can somehow be impressed by console graphics even though I play all my PC games with the highest settings my GTX 280 can muster, when I say that this is the best looking console game I've played to date (which means it's been released since I never bother with betas). It's giving me that Soul Calibur on the DC in 1999 feeling when I look at it :).

I love when games come together this well.

SonComet said:
I haven't beaten the game yet, but in one sitting I got to the final area. Played from 7:30PM to 2:30AM last night to do so. This game is far far better than the first for me in every possible way. Like it's ridiculous how much better it is. And the graphics are much better than I thought they would be. Sure it has a lot of small issues that people are making a huge deal over in other games like R2. But the art direction and overall package just brings it to that next level.

Keep in mind that my brain can somehow be impressed by console graphics even though I play all my PC games with the highest settings my GTX 280 can muster, when I say that this is the best looking console game I've played to date (which means it's been released since I never bother with betas). It's giving me that Soul Calibur on the DC in 1999 feeling when I look at it :).

I love when games come together this well.
I agree. Gears of War 2 is the best looking console game.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I just picked this up.

Does anyone find 1080P looks much blurrier than 720P? I'm running this on a HP LP2475w monitor (1200x1080, with 1:1 pixel mapping) via the VGA cable on 1080P. Looks alright, but certtainly not as sharp as the lower resolutions.

What native res is this game running at?

Economan

damn, is there any trick to killing that reaver in chapter 3. I keep killing the locusts riding and then aim for its body, but it keeps destroying my tank. Any protips?

Yeah, they left several things unexplained to set up Gears of War 3. Which could or could not be the final game in the series.

-Adam Fenix...Still alive? And what is he doing? The Queen mentions that she wished Marcus had followed his path. Definitely something going on there.

Lambent Locust? What's going on there? Some sort of plague or something.

Since they never showed what happened to Dizzy I suspect he's still alive somewhere and will show up in Gears 3.

The Locust Queen is obviously still alive. It will be interesting to see where Gears 3 picks up however since the COG just flooded their entire world. Supposedly wiping them out...Obviously they'll be back and hopefully Gears 3 wraps up where they came from as well.

That's everything I can think of for now...

X26

Banned
Captain N said:
That happened to me with Viva Pinata 2 and then slowly, every single title stopped working and Microsoft now wants 100 dollars to fix it.

uh oh, my machine does this. Either it won't run the game and the ring of light will flash a bit, or I'll get the white unreadable screen. Hopefully my machine holds out till I can fully enjoy the game :/

daw840

Oh man, this game is possibly the best 360 game I have ever played. The hype was totally worth it. I think this game is actually better than Halo 3 when it came out, and I was equally excited for both of these games.

Has anyone killed 100,000 enemies yet? If so, you need to go out into the sunshine:lol

Why can't I download the gold lancer? I put the code in, started the download and then for some reason the dashboard told me it "can't download" it. WTF?

daw840

X26 said:
uh oh, my machine does this. Either it won't run the game and the ring of light will flash a bit, or I'll get the white unreadable screen. Hopefully my machine holds out till I can fully enjoy the game :/

I just had to get my 360 repaired because of this. Make sure you make your console RROD because that failure has a 3 year warranty, but the disc unreadable error only has a 1 year warranty.

Merguson

Banned
Linkzg said:
ENDING SPOILER

They never said. It's just like how they never said what happened to the Locust Queen after she escaped. Expect them back for Gears of War 3

Yeah I beat the game, I was curious, guess I'll just wait for Gears of War 3...

FrankT

Cataferal said:
I just picked this up.

Does anyone find 1080P looks much blurrier than 720P? I'm running this on a HP LP2475w monitor (1200x1080, with 1:1 pixel mapping) via the VGA cable on 1080P. Looks alright, but certtainly not as sharp as the lower resolutions.

I've been wondering about this as I have it set to 1080p on my 1080p set. Perhaps I should test out both.

did i miss somethin' or did they not explain
why lambents were fighting against locus
and the purpose behind
the place you visited in act 3 with the sires
?

is carmine voiced by the guy that did jansen? lol i love his work!

Aladuf

Banned
Classic_Gs said:
For me the online multiplayer is completely broken because I can't get into any MP matches.
I wouldn't worry too much, it's only the second day the game has been out so my guess is they'll patch a fix pretty soon hopefully.

Dirtbag

WickedLaharl said:
did i miss somethin' or did they not explain
why lambents were fighting against locus
and the purpose behind
the place you visited in act 3 with the sires
?

is carmine voiced by the guy that did jansen? lol i love his work!

also

What purpose did the human torture camps serve?

What is the emulsion? Like what does it do, how does it work to posses? Totally confused me.

Adam Phoenix? Nuff said?

Human locust queen? Please don't tell me the idea is that the humans created the locusts... Is this really necessary?

FrankT

Dirtbag said:
I don't know if I could disagree with a person any more then I disagree with you.

Yup, but then again I almost always disagree with Dark so that's nothing new, see GTA IV, The Darkness, ect, ect.

Dax01 said:
I agree. Gears of War 2 is the best looking console game.

Aye

Cataferal said:
I just picked this up.

Just tested this and it is definitely optimized for 720p.

Aeon712 said:
I'm still in ACT 1 and enjoying it so far but are the enemies supposed to be bullet sponges?

Yeah.

Actually I never liked how it felt to shoot bad guys in this series. They take so many hits and don't really react beyond spurting blood. It never felt satisfying to me.

Flunkie

Banned
Economan said:
damn, is there any trick to killing that reaver in chapter 3. I keep killing the locusts riding and then aim for its body, but it keeps destroying my tank. Any protips?
Keep your distance and zoom in from far away.

Aladuf said:
I wouldn't worry too much, it's only the second day the game has been out so my guess is they'll patch a fix pretty soon hopefully.
Yeah, this reminds me of when Halo 2 first launched. I'm sure all the bugs will be fixed soon.

jowa

Economan said:
I'm stuck there too, on insane mode. Seems impossible without a friend to help you :(

omg what is wrong with this? it's actually been 20 minutes now. Are there honestly not 4 other people out there on a saturday that want to play Gears 2? come on already.

Dirtbag

Linkzg said:
matchmaking in horde is taking forever

That will probably always be the case.
Once you are in a game, you usually play for hours, so you aren't going to see the amount of people searching for matches as often as you would in other 5-10minute long gamemodes.

Not sure if there is drop in and out of horde mode either, I think once you begin.. you have to back out to the lobby to add people. Least that's how it is in private horde matches. Even more reasons to think its going to be a hassle to find horde matches online.

Celeryface said:
I picked up the Limited Edition last night and entered my Gold Lancer code on Xbox Live. The code went through and the downloaded started. I then got an error saying "Can't Download Gold Lancer". When I tried again later I got a message right away saying that the code was no longer valid.

The map pack downloaded just fine. Has anyone else experienced this with their Gold Lancer code?

Happened to me too. Just go to you hard drive or wherever you saved it to and select download again. It will come through.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Private Horde, Hardcore on Blood Drive, Wave 20... holy fuck :lol :lol 7 tries and we couldn't go any further.

revolverjgw said:
Actually I never liked how it felt to shoot bad guys in this series. They take so many hits and don't really react beyond spurting blood. It never felt satisfying to me.

they react to your bullets now.

so there isn't any explanation for act 3? man that sucks. i understand wanting to have unanswered questions for sequel potential, but right now i feel like they left too much shit unexplained.

I beat the game last night, and I got to say this is the first sequel to a major franchise that completely lived up to the hype. The campaign is a wonderful ride, everything you are doing in the world had purpose and a logical progression. The gameplay scenarios were well-varied, and the interspersing vehicular segments, and boss fights were great for breaking up any potential monotony. Epic also went out on a limb with one level in Chapter Two which can be described as horizontal platforming in the most disgusting game locale I have ever visited.

As for the story, yes it still has the classic Gears 'cheese' but the really managed to tell a pretty mature and competent storyline. The story was logical, and presented nicely to the player, always giving me a feeling of purpose and urgency. I also thought the serious moments almost worked. Joshua Ortega did a pretty good job of giving this over-the-top caricatures a more human side.

To go into more spoilery specifics
When Tai is found on the Torture Barge, the way he is animated when he steps out of his cell really shows that he just went through some really fucked up shit. You can see on his face that he was broken, which is very unsettling after this chracter had been built up to be the virtuous spiritual warrior. When Marcus hands him the shotgun, and turns around to find Tai shooting himself in the mouth, I seriously felt something very unsettling in my gut. Maybe it was me playing for too long(I did complete the game in one epic ten-hour sitting), but I really think they managed to pull off a serious moment quite nicely. Also later on when Dom is reunited with Maria, the scene where she rapidly ages was pretty unsettling as well, it did seem a bit over-the-top, but their was some well-written drama being acted out before you, which is something ENTIRELY new to a Gears of War game.

Overall, the Campaign mode is fantastic. Epic Games met all my expectations, and I can not believe how quickly they turned out such a fantastic product.

FAKE EDIT: The way Epic was done very well. The player feels a sense of accomplishment at the end, but their are still questions that need to be answered.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is anyone else blown away by the variety WITHIN acts? This is so different from gears 1-- it's hard to believe that Act 2 starts where it does, takes you where it takes you, and then ends where it does. Same with Act 3. It's really great.

jaaz

Played through Act 2. The game is better than the original in every way. The pacing is MUCH better and the story moves you along at a decent clip. I still haven't felt like, "oh great, yet another wave of enemies". The writing is hilarious. One particularly funny moment with a sniper rifle in Act 2 made me laugh out loud.

However, let's not get carried away. This is essentially the same gameplay, which is fine by me. And while it looks good, it's clearly not the best looking game this generation. For me, that title is still held by the likes of MGS4, Uncharted and Dead Space. To me, Gears 2 still looks overexposed and flat, and a little muddy, but better than the first.

Top Bottom