• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Gig said:
Also, has anyone experienced this glitch? I was near the end of act three and Dom just disappeared , he was gone and when I died at the water monster he just reappeared.
Didn't happen for me, but in the first chapter of Act 5 there was a sequence where Dom hid in the very back of the map and didn't do a damn thing. Only lasted that one time, though.

Flunkie said:
I also hate you and ThirdEngine from last night's Wingman.
:lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Core407 said:
No one generally but if you proclaim it to be the best game visually, you should at least be capable of defending the statement.

It's definitely close to being up there. IMO, though the first level looks like ass, Gears 2 holds its own perfectly against Resistance 2, MGS4, Uncharted and any other game on the 360. Keyword? Holds

MGS4 has unbelievable animations and awesome effects. Blurry textures and framedrops killed the deal for me. Oh, and I understand the game is below 720p.

Uncharted: Animations look canned to me. Texture work is far more impressive than Gears 2.

Call of Duty 4: Unbelievable good and at 60FPS. 600p. Still has blurry textures and framedrops. Incredible animations.

Resistance 2: Am I the only one that found this a step down from R1? I played it on a friend's house for some time and I am not wowed.

Anyway, Gears 2 has good animations, very good texture job (rivals Uncharted), runs at 720p, the scale is much bigger than any of the games I mentioned above, it holds its own at 30FPS though it has its fair share of frame drops. Really, you don't see over a hundred enemies running, explosions going on everywhere, environmental damage and incredible lightning while keeping 30FPS most of the time in any of the games I mentioned above. What I am saying is that Gears 2 mixes all that and creates an experience that looks as good, if not better, than the games I mentioned. Merit where its due: Gears 2 is definitely in the Top 3 best looking games this gen.

MrDaravon

For some reason ally AI has gone completely to shit when I hit act 5. I've died multiple times and my allies would never revive me, despite there being no enemies and I'm literally crawling in circles around them, the first turret part the enemies were invincible until I reloaded, my ally is hanging really far back or phasing the floor, etc. Aside from one or two minor things I wasn't having any problems with them up to this point, what the hell.

Also yes, the Centaur part is fucking terrible.

Core407 said:
Dead Space has the best flame thrower for sure.

For pure killing power and coolness, the Gears 2 one is probably the best, but isn't really a flame thrower as much as it is a hot magma super soaker.

Halo 3 is another game that had a really cool looking flame thrower and that was actually a flame thrower, but it wasn't fun to use. Dead Space also has a great one, so does Far Cry 2.

jaaz

dreamer3kx said:
normal or hardcore to begin?

I picked normal to play co-op with a friend and I think it's a bit too easy. So I would say Hardcore for co-op and Normal for single player. I'm only through Act 2 though, so the difficulty may ramp-up I don;t know.

Wollan

Relix said:
you don't see over a hundred enemies running, explosions going on everywhere, environmental damage and incredible lightning while keeping 30FPS most of the time in any of the games I mentioned above.
You're mistaking flow controlled units with a.i driven ones. I believe the most I encountered during the campaign was 12-13 (includes the team mates).

Core407

Banned
Linkzg said:
For pure killing power and coolness, the Gears 2 one is probably the best, but isn't really a flame thrower as much as it is a hot manga super soaker.

Halo 3 is another game that had a really cool looking flame thrower and that was actually a flame thrower, but it wasn't fun to use. Dead Space also has a great one, so does Far Cry 2.

I just meant visually. :lol

Dirtbag said:
I actually think the halo 3 flamethrower is more impressive looking thanks to the bloom effects, scorch marks on walls, and lingering flames. The gears flamethrower looks great when you shoot it straight into the air though :(

The gears flamethrower looks out of place, compared to shooting the other guns with sparks, and destructible cover chunks.
The gears flamethrower does not look out of place and I actually find it to be better than Halo 3's.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
jesus I really hate the thing after the
queen
where you are
flying on the reavers while that schitzo boss is chasing you

how in the hell are you supposed to pass this?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
dreamer3kx said:

hardcore -- i've finished act 3, and so far it's much easier than gears 1 hardcore. most of my daths have come in one-off scripted sequences.

gears 2 has been absolutely amazing, but the reduced difficulty of the basic combat is getting to me a little. it seems like the locust won't rush or flank anymore (obviously excepting melee enemies) -- i really can't recall a single occasion when i've been forced to scramble or fight at close quarters. hopefully insane will fix this

Scarecrow

Just finished. Man, that was a blast. I'll start up multiplayer tomorrow.

I'm sure it's been addressed, but are there any problems with online play like most new online games have been having?

Oh, and I'm pissed that they won't let you start on the hardest difficulty setting. It's baffling. Why do they do this?

Scarecrow

Relix said:
Wow,
the final transmission
after the credits left me intrigued.
yeah, I'm impressed that the story kept my interest in Gears 2. I'm excited to see where they go with it.

dreamer3kx said:
jaaz said:
I picked normal to play co-op with a friend and I think it's a bit too easy. So I would say Hardcore for co-op and Normal for single player. I'm only through Act 2 though, so the difficulty may ramp-up I don;t know.
No, no, no. The way I see it, you begin playing singleplayer on Hardcore. After you finish, you play coop on Insane.

Sushen

Aeon712 said:
I'm still in ACT 1 and enjoying it so far but are the enemies supposed to be bullet sponges?
After a long COD4 SP/MP sessions, I can't help but feel that most other shooters seem not realistic in that department, and not as satisfying as it was with COD4.

Dirtbag

Dax01 said:
The gears flamethrower does not look out of place and I actually find it to be better than Halo 3's.

The gears flamethrower breaks the illusion of the game for me.
It doesn't have the same level of believability that shooting the other guns has, it's too static for its environment -why I said it was out of place.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
My gears arrived! w00t! just downloading the maps and then I'll be playing.

Not sure if I wanna do campaign or online first...

is there anyone else who just/hasn't started yet who wants a co-op partner? PM me.

gamertag - kaizoku7

whitehawk

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
I'm thinking about picking up the LE, is this LE worth the extra ten bucks?
Personally, no. I'm returning my LE because the Hardcover artbook is in french, which is complete bullshit. but still after a week or so you'll probably never look at the bonus content any.

The goldden guns are ugly too.

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah, I don't particularly like the flamethrower either. I don't have any major problems with it, just don't really care for it.

Ptaaty

help me with the lake
monster. I shoot the blue things in its mouth without even getting touched. To no avail stupid Dom dies again and again. I have tried shooting the inside sphincter mouth, tried throwing a grenade in it, tried torque bow in it. What the hell am I missing to kill it?

edit never mind. I did the same thing and now it worked....

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ptaaty said:
help me with the lake
monster. I shoot the blue things in its mouth without even getting touched. To no avail stupid Dom dies again and again. I have tried shooting the inside sphincter mouth, tried throwing a grenade in it, tried torque bow in it. What the hell am I missing to kill it?

you are doing everything right you just need to keep on repeating it and only use grenades.
I dont think Dom should die...at least he didnt when I went thru that area.

Wollan

Flunkie said:
Yeah, I don't particularly like the flamethrower either. I don't have any major problems with it, just don't really care for it.
It's different. It's more of a high-pressure flaming gas sprayer than it is a napalm based flamethrower (with FarCry 2 setting the latest benchmark).

painey

just got to level 18 in horde, we were doing well but trapped in. One of our team mates ventured out and I stuck down a shield, blocking us in and keeping us safe, until our wanderer died. Everyone was screaming take down the shield and by the time i did he was dead and the entire squad was at the door trying to get out and heal the guy, into which a locust decimated all 4 of us in a few seconds. It turned my jovial, friendly team who had been laughing and joking all game into rabid animals :lol

Guled

whitehawk said:
Personally, no. I'm returning my LE because the Hardcover artbook is in french, which is complete bullshit. but still after a week or so you'll probably never look at the bonus content any.

The goldden guns are ugly too.
The packaging is so cool though. But they really dropped the ball with the artbook in Canada. I hope they do something to replace the hardcover french ones.

Big Nikus

Sorry if it has already been asked, but is the french dubbed version available on the NTSC version of the game?
Here in France we could chose between the english and french voices in the first one, depending on the language we chose in the console OS. I'd like to know if it's also the case for GoW2. I can't buy the pal version of the game coz i can't find the limited edition here.
Thanks in advance.

LukeSmith

I'm halfway through Act 4. I actually wish there was a lot more "stop and pop" sequences and a lot less of everything else. The "stop and pop" stuff is my favorite part about Gears gameplay -- I guess that's what sweet sweet Horde mode is for, though.

Ptaaty

wenis said:
you are doing everything right you just need to keep on repeating it and only use grenades.
I dont think Dom should die...at least he didnt when I went thru that area.

thanks. I actually got it to work on my own. No idea why the first 5 grenade I threw in there just did nothing...then it worked perfect after.

Flunkie

Banned
Ptaaty said:
help me with the lake
You've got to throw a grenate in the little mouth thing that comes out after you shoot the blue tentacles a couple times. It doesn't work all the time, and it's easy to miss, so you may have to throw a few. If you run out of grenades, just back up a little bit and there should be more behind you. I don't get the Dom dying part, though.

Edit: Oh wow, hella late.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LukeSmith said:
I'm halfway through Act 4. I actually wish there was a lot more "stop and pop" sequences and a lot less of everything else. The "stop and pop" stuff is my favorite part about Gears gameplay -- I guess that's what sweet sweet Horde mode is for, though.

What do you count as everything else? Just kind of curious myself. It's been a while since I've played Gears 1 but do you consider the flow that different?

(Sure, stuff like the rig ride I would agree with. That doesn't feel much at all like Gears, but I thought it was an entertaining diversion).

Guled said:
The packaging is so cool though. But they really dropped the ball with the artbook in Canada. I hope they do something to replace the hardcover french ones.

Hell id pay money just so i can shove it in my case and never look at it again. Tossed the hardcover one in the trash as soon as i found out it was trash.

And to everyone that is hating this game. Its not for you, you are in the small minority of people that don't like fun, its unfortunate but you will have to learn to live with it.

Big Nikus

Wow, it seems a lot of GoW2 copies have entire french covers and artbook in canada. Well it gives me hope regarding the presence of the french dubbing, but still, it must be annoying for the people concerned. I bought a few games here in France that had the entire packaging and manual in german...so i understand the feeling...

LukeSmith said:

I think the flow is a lot better now. Gears 1 was 95% 'stop and pop', 5% shitty vehicle sequence.

Big Nikus said:
Wow, it seems a lot of GoW2 copies have entire french covers and artbook in canada. Well it gives me hope regarding the presence of the french dubbing, but still, it must be annoying for the people concerned. I bought a few games here in France that had the entire packaging and manual in german...so i understand the feeling...

Really i doubt anyone in canada hates french or at least the french language, its just the way stupid/silly things happen because of the laws that are passed concerning the french language. A couple of games only had french manuals because they had to have a french manual but they decided to save money by not including an english manual at all. Or the slightly more anoying issues of games coming out in canada at a later date because manuals/covers have to be made bilingual or the things like the gears artbook.

Dirtbag said:
The gears flamethrower breaks the illusion of the game for me.
It doesn't have the same level of believability that shooting the other guns has, it's too static for its environment -why I said it was out of place.
I don't understand, but whatever. I think it's awesome.

Kibbles

What the hell, did Core seriously call this a corridor shooter? :lol :lol :lol Obviously he hasn't played the game... wow.

Merguson

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Really i doubt anyone in canada hates french or at least the french language, its just the way stupid/silly things happen because of the laws that are passed concerning the french language. A couple of games only had french manuals because they had to have a french manual but they decided to save money by not including an english manual at all. Or the slightly more anoying issues of games coming out in canada at a later date because manuals/covers have to be made bilingual or the things like the gears artbook.

Well it seems that the book (hardcover) is actually dubbed in French, not in English. The soft cover of the book is in English... it's usually the other way around.

Nevermind: The issue was already raised. I'm not happy by this at all. There are laws yes, but usually, the English version is the majority version, like NHL series, the English manual is in the game while the French version are just attached to the game.

Aladuf

Banned
Just finished the campaign a couple of minutes ago, this game was seriously so unbelievably awesome. Act 5 especially was such an amazing act, from start to finish it was just incredible.

Flunkie said:
I also hate you and ThirdEngine from last night's Wingman.
:lol I know, me and him quickly found out from last night that we are a pretty ruthless Wingman team.

Keikoku

Banned
jaaz said:
Yes, really. Uncharted too. And I will not use a smiley in an attempt to show how ridiculous your assertion is either. If you really played Uncharted (and I'm not saying you didn't), have you REALLY seen anything in Gears 2 better than when you are jumping across the raging waterfall from rock to rock? Just the water in Uncharted blows away the water in Gears 2, not to mention the texture work on the wall,s etc. Perhaps I will see something in the later Acts but right now, it's not there.

And the animation better than MGS4 and Uncharted? Come now.

You guys do this every time a game comes out. OMG, its the best graphics EVAH. New Experience does not equal Best Ever. 4 weeks will go by and GAF will be like, well, Gears 2 had great graphics, but this other game is so much better. You gotta love GAF.

The animations are broken in MGS4. I didn't say they were better in Gears 2 than in Uncharted though, actually, that's the only technical side where Uncharted is better than Gears 2.

MGS4 is just far, far away of Gears 2. I already explained why : technical issues (installs...), textures work (come on, some textures are worse than in COD4), frame-rate also. It's sub-720p too.
Even without comparing it to Gears 2, MGS4 is not a perfect game if we speak of graphics.

Gears 2 have none of these issues. Textures are the best I've seen on a console game, but I admit that Uncharted has some great textures too. Lightning is beautiful too.
But the most impressive thing is the scale of it all : tons of things happening on screen, and this without any framerate drops.

And for me, it's just logic that a game that is released in the end of 2008 looks better that a game that was released a year ago. Some people needs to get over it.

X26

Banned
I'm playing on SD and think it looks great, but one part really made me wish I had a decent TV. The 3x corpser section, what should be pitch black darkness, ends up being in a blue hue, meh, still a neat part of the game

shpankey

not an idiot
I never understood the stance that Uncharted's graphics are the best. They're good for sure, but when I played through it (50" panny plasma, 08 model) I didn't think they were any more impressive than any number of games I had played. I especially disliked the way the character's skins looked, something just weird about it. I also noticed a lot of tearing that was off-putting. From what I've seen of Gears 2, I'd say it easily surpasses Uncharted. But to each his own. And graphics and their appeal is much more than just the technical side, there's the art and character design and how the worlds and environments look as a whole. I really love the look that Gears 2 puts out, I am in constant awe. I mean my jaw literally drops. I was never in awe when going through Uncharted.

whitehawk

Banned
Merguson said:
Well it seems that the book (hardcover) is actually dubbed in French, not in English. The soft cover of the book is in English... it's usually the other way around.

Nevermind: The issue was already raised. I'm not happy by this at all. There are laws yes, but usually, the English version is the majority version, like NHL series, the English manual is in the game while the French version are just attached to the game.
Exactly. I live in Ontario so we should get the english version. Give the damn Quebecois the french ones.

Sometimes I wish Quebec would just get the hell out of our country.

2real4tv

Relix said:
It's definitely close to being up there. IMO, though the first level looks like ass, Gears 2 holds its own perfectly against Resistance 2, MGS4, Uncharted and any other game on the 360. Keyword? Holds

MGS4 has unbelievable animations and awesome effects. Blurry textures and framedrops killed the deal for me. Oh, and I understand the game is below 720p.

Uncharted: Animations look canned to me. Texture work is far more impressive than Gears 2.

Call of Duty 4: Unbelievable good and at 60FPS. 600p. Still has blurry textures and framedrops. Incredible animations.

Resistance 2: Am I the only one that found this a step down from R1? I played it on a friend's house for some time and I am not wowed.

Anyway, Gears 2 has good animations, very good texture job (rivals Uncharted), runs at 720p, the scale is much bigger than any of the games I mentioned above, it holds its own at 30FPS though it has its fair share of frame drops. Really, you don't see over a hundred enemies running, explosions going on everywhere, environmental damage and incredible lightning while keeping 30FPS most of the time in any of the games I mentioned above. What I am saying is that Gears 2 mixes all that and creates an experience that looks as good, if not better, than the games I mentioned. Merit where its due: Gears 2 is definitely in the Top 3 best looking games this gen.

I think R2 looks better Gears2 and textures don't look as good as Uncharted imo...and whats up with the blurry backgrounds....fun game though.

Also R2 scale is much larger than gears2. I have both check my gamers tag playing Gears2 now.

edit: when I say it looks better its probably mostly an IQ thing. However, Gears is definitely one of the best games Ive played this gen
Bigmanny287

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
X26 said:
I'm playing on SD and think it looks great, but one part really made me wish I had a decent TV. The 3x corpser section, what should be pitch black darkness, ends up being in a blue hue, meh, still a neat part of the game

that's just how that section is. on any tv. weird decision i thought

Top Bottom