• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Dai Kaiju

Anybody else's code not work for the free maps? It said my code isn't valid but I tried typing it 3 times. Is it possible that some douche was randomly punching letters and numbers into the redeem code box and got really lucky?

I really don't get how people are still complaining about lag. Other than matchmaking being slow, the online play itself has been flawless for me.

Anyway, time to eat real fast then basically play all day long. :D

Relix said:
Private Horde, Hardcore on Blood Drive, Wave 20... holy fuck :lol :lol 7 tries and we couldn't go any further.
Don't feel too bad. We couldn't get past 16, and for at least half an hour we were stuck on Wave 7. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Y2Kev said:
Is anyone else blown away by the variety WITHIN acts? This is so different from gears 1-- it's hard to believe that Act 2 starts where it does, takes you where it takes you, and then ends where it does. Same with Act 3. It's really great.

Ya, the last chapter of act 2 is completely bananas right now...

Guled

How can you check what chapter your on? Also, I can't seem to join a game online, is anyone else having problems?

jaaz said:
Played through Act 2. The game is better than the original in every way. The pacing is MUCH better and the story moves you along at a decent clip. I still haven't felt like, "oh great, yet another wave of enemies". The writing is hilarious. One particularly funny moment with a sniper rifle in Act 2 made me laugh out loud.

However, let's not get carried away. This is essentially the same gameplay, which is fine by me. And while it looks good, it's clearly not the best looking game this generation. For me, that title is still held by the likes of MGS4, Uncharted and Dead Space. To me, Gears 2 still looks overexposed and flat, and a little muddy, but better than the first.
The writing is actually really funny. They completely embraced the campy dialogue from the first game, and managed to poke fun at themselves as well as other games. Some notable quotes.

Baid:"Do you think this is what the Locust eat?"
Marcus:"They could eat shit and die for all I care."

Cole: "Now that's a lot of juice."

Finally, my favorite which is a friendly jab at Halo 1.

Dom: "I think it is safe to say that this cave is not a natural formation."

newsguy

Honestly, I never thought Horde would be more than a throwaway mode we would play once and just jump right back into warzone. I was so wrong for thinking this, we play Horde every time we are waiting on other players or at the end of the night when people sign off. Those f-ing guys riding what look like a mutated testicle are ruthless!

Dirtbag said:
That will probably always be the case.
Once you are in a game, you usually play for hours, so you aren't going to see the amount of people searching for matches as often as you would in other 5-10minute long gamemodes.

Not sure if there is drop in and out of horde mode either, I think once you begin.. you have to back out to the lobby to add people. Least that's how it is in private horde matches. Even more reasons to think its going to be a hassle to find horde matches online.

The one match I got into after 20+ minutes of waiting had horrible lag. I don't get what the problem is since other games don't do this and neither did the original Gears.

Spruchy

Beat it full co-op on hardcore with j network, pretty good campaign but I would be a little disappointed overall if it wasnt for the awesome MP additions.

Lots of achievements though zomg.

Relix said:
Private Horde, Hardcore on Blood Drive, Wave 20... holy fuck :lol :lol 7 tries and we couldn't go any further.

We had a group of 4 on River (hardcore) and were stuck at 19. The enemies eat bullets like candy, I can't even imagine higher levels.

If anyone wants to play horde tonight, send me an invite. I love that shit...lots of OH FUCK moments.

My only complaint so far is the matchmaking time. It takes forever.

Keikoku

Banned
However, let's not get carried away. This is essentially the same gameplay, which is fine by me. And while it looks good, it's clearly not the best looking game this generation. For me, that title is still held by the likes of MGS4, Uncharted and Dead Space. To me, Gears 2 still looks overexposed and flat, and a little muddy, but better than the first.

MGS4 & Dead Space are looking better than Gears 2 ? Really :lol
MGS4 looks good, but it is far, far away than Gears 2 in terms of textures, polygons, also the animations are better in Gears 2. The loadings in MGS4 were terribles too (5 installs, really ?).
Dead Space looks very clean too, I am doing it with everything maxed on my PC, but it's nothing like Gears 2.
Even Uncharted has been beaten by this, which is just logic because, you know, it was released a year later... sonyfans needs to face it.

Really,
the vehicule phase in the snow
reminded me of Crysis Warhead.
So, from a technical and visual standpoint I don't see anygames that looks better, we'll see with RE5 and KZ2 though, but for the moment, Gears 2 is definitely the best looking game of this gen.

Costanza

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Is anyone else blown away by the variety WITHIN acts? This is so different from gears 1-- it's hard to believe that Act 2 starts where it does, takes you where it takes you, and then ends where it does. Same with Act 3. It's really great.
I just finished act 3 and came in here to post this.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Holy crap, the Centaur tank portion is awful. I'm getting blasted from every direction, the controls are cumbersome, and I have no real health meter.

It really sucks compared to the other vehicle sections of the game.

robot

MaizeRage25 said:
We had a group of 4 on River (hardcore) and were stuck at 19. The enemies eat bullets like candy, I can't even imagine higher levels.

If anyone wants to play horde tonight, send me an invite. I love that shit...lots of OH FUCK moments.

My only complaint so far is the matchmaking time. It takes forever.

River is one of the craziest horde maps I've played so far. Especially when those
Tonton looking things coming rushing over the bridge.
I prefer the smaller maps in horde for the sheer insanity of it all.

Think I'm just coming to the end of Act 2, just started the part where you find yourself
In the stomach of a giant worm. Its amazing to think of everywhere I've been, just in act 2! Absolutely gutted about Tai, I was really hoping that I'd get a chance to fight alongside him again. Hope that Dizzy's non-appearance in that segment means he'll be returning. Oh yeah, Cole Train = Best entrance ever.

I mean, the variety so far is just incredible. Crazy to think that ONE Brumak fight was cut from the first game because of engine limitations, and within the first Act I'd seen several of the fuckers already.

And there are still 3 Acts to play! Bring It!!!

So yeah, its pretty good innit.

edit: oh yeah, a buddy and I got to about Level 15 on Horde earlier, we were barracading ourselves in the middle part of Pavillion which seems pretty useful but with only two of us eventually we just end up getting overwhelmed (and rushed... always with the rushing)

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This game is blowing me away in every imaginable way...

EXCEPT

EXCEPT

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH FINDING A HORDE MATCH? Why does it take me so loooooooooooooooooooooong??????

duffey

Gig said:
Holy crap, the Centaur tank portion is awful. I'm getting blasted from every direction, the controls are cumbersome, and I have no real health meter.

Yeah I'm reaaaaally not enjoying that part at all. Everything else in this game leading up to that point was awesome. In addition the reload takes way too long and by the time you get more ammo it might as well be game over at that point.

Yeah, something is up with the online. It takes 20 minutes to find a game, then the game ends in 5 minutes (this is just versus stuff) and you're kicked back to the menu...wtf? I remember Gears 1 letting you stay in the lobby with those you played with. It just doesn't make any sense.

AllGamer

duffey said:
Yeah I'm reaaaaally not enjoying that part at all. Everything else in this game leading up to that point was awesome. In addition the reload takes way too long and by the time you get more ammo it might as well be game over at that point.

That part in coop is awesome....no...wait...the whole game in coop is awesome :D

RSTEIN said:
This game is blowing me away in every imaginable way...

EXCEPT

EXCEPT

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH FINDING A HORDE MATCH? Why does it take me so loooooooooooooooooooooong??????
It's because you're not playing Horde with us.

FrankT

Playing so slow and methodically. Do not want to end. Heh, going to beat it on each setting and then some plus co-op. So good. Anyhow, just hit chapter 4 and it is jawesome.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Let me taste the crow.
THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME.

Also, it doesn't start until you finish that piece of shit intro level. I don't understand why the game started in such a crappy way.

robot said:
River is one of the craziest horde maps I've played so far. Especially when those
Tonton looking things coming rushing over the bridge.
I prefer the smaller maps in horde for the sheer insanity of it all.

Good to know, will have to try a different map.

jaaz

Keikoku said:
MGS4 & Dead Space are looking better than Gears 2 ? Really :lol

Yes, really. Uncharted too. And I will not use a smiley in an attempt to show how ridiculous your assertion is either. If you really played Uncharted (and I'm not saying you didn't), have you REALLY seen anything in Gears 2 better than when you are jumping across the raging waterfall from rock to rock? Just the water in Uncharted blows away the water in Gears 2, not to mention the texture work on the wall,s etc. Perhaps I will see something in the later Acts but right now, it's not there.

And the animation better than MGS4 and Uncharted? Come now.

You guys do this every time a game comes out. OMG, its the best graphics EVAH. New Experience does not equal Best Ever. 4 weeks will go by and GAF will be like, well, Gears 2 had great graphics, but this other game is so much better. You gotta love GAF.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm super-impressed with the multiplayer bots. On high levels they put up a stiff challenge and actually act HUMAN-like, instead of just being given superhuman accuracy. In fact, they might be some of the best multiplayer bots I've ever seen:

1) They work as a team and will flank & take angles on you.
2) They will retreat when they are in danger.
3) They (seem to) not cheat and know where you are at all times. If you're sneaky you CAN sneak up behind them (just like you could with humans).
4) When fired upon out in the open, they will dive out of the way and take cover. Same for grenades.

I've still seen the AI do some dumb, dumb things. But overall, I find it truly impressive. If I played a match with a mix of human and AI participants, I don't think I could tell which was which.

Even the training mode, which I intended to breeze through just for the achievement, gave me some pause. It wasn't HARD by any means, but I actually had to pay attention and play someone cautiously to avoid death.

FrankT

jaaz said:
Yes, really. Uncharted too. And I will not use a smiley in an attempt to show how ridiculous your assertion is either. If you really played Uncharted (and I'm not saying you didn't), have you REALLY seen anything in Gears 2 better than when you are jumping across the raging waterfall from rock to rock? Just the water in Uncharted blows away the water in Gears 2, not to mention the texture work on the wall,s etc. Perhaps I will see something in the later Acts but right now, it's not there.

You guys do this every time a game comes out. OMG, its the best graphics EVAH. New Experience does not equal Best Ever. 4 weeks will go by and GAF will be like, well, Gears 2 had great graphics, but this other game is so much better. You gotta love GAF.

Neh, played em all, disagree. Although Unchartered is still up there for me, Dead Space, eh eh, but I do agree with Gamespy when they say this is the most visually impressive game of all-time, save PC of course.

Core407

Banned
jaaz said:

I watched the 1up show and they were all gushing about GOW2 and how everything about is is insanely awesome. I think they said the same thing about GOW1 and then I played it and was like where is all the shit people are gushing about? I don't get it - something about Epic and CliffyB or something must get these people hot in the pants. I played GOW1 on my friends system and then I played it on the PC and while it was fun, it was no different than Doom 3 to me - a corridor shooter. I could probably list 10+ things wrong with the game that kills any chance of it being the greatest evar like people proclaim it to be.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Easiest level for horde: Day 1. You can barricade yourself upstairs and use the mortar and hammer of dawn.

Anyone know if the horde achievement is provided through private matches?

Ok I got into Multiplayer now. New modes are fun. Haven't played any horde yet. Guardian is awesome. New maps are great.

But the play style - it changed. Completely. The Shotty is pretty much useless compared to the last game. Lots of Sawing going on too. I love the addition of exploding smoke grenades and also grenade tags. The hammerburst is currently my favorite gun.

But the play style, for me at least, has changed. 180° turn. doesn't mean I don't like it though. I find the new approach to the MP definitely interesting.

TheFallen

I'm digging the Horde mode so much more than I thought I would. Only issue I'm having with is getting into matches, takes forever. If anyone needs another spot filled, send me an invite, gamertag: Xploited13

Core407

Banned
jacobs34 said:
I see the trolls are out this weekend. Who cares which game looks better?

No one generally but if you proclaim it to be the best game visually, you should at least be capable of defending the statement.

Dirtbag

Linkzg said:
The one match I got into after 20+ minutes of waiting had horrible lag. I don't get what the problem is since other games don't do this and neither did the original Gears.

Because its probably just looking for ANY available horde match at that point, not choosing between multiple matches to give you the one with the best ping (thus least lag).

Horde mode needs drop in and out features if its going to stand a chance searching for a match with any real convenience/good connection. Ultimately though, you only need to get 5 guys together, so for most people that's not an impossible task from their friends list alone.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Aladuf said:
Seriously RSTEIN, get into a Horde match with us later and you'll be happy. Fun times will ensue.

When are you guys playing Horde?

Also, has anyone experienced this glitch? I was near the end of act three and Dom just disappeared , he was gone and when I died at the water monster he just reappeared.

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
Seriously RSTEIN, get into a Horde match with us later and you'll be happy. Fun times will ensue.
I want to be in that. I just got done playing to Level 18 with your best friend (you know who), Uber, and Cornballer. Really fun.

I also hate you and ThirdEngine from last night's Wingman.

Flyguy

Core407 said:
I watched the 1up show and they were all gushing about GOW2 and how everything about is is insanely awesome. I think they said the same thing about GOW1 and then I played it and was like where is all the shit people are gushing about? I don't get it - something about Epic and CliffyB or something must get these people hot in the pants. I played GOW1 on my friends system and then I played it on the PC and while it was fun, it was no different than Doom 3 to me - a corridor shooter. I could probably list 10+ things wrong with the game that kills any chance of it being the greatest evar like people proclaim it to be.

10. 360 exclusive
9. 360 exclusive
8. 360 exclusive
7. 360 exclusive
6. 360 exclusive
5. 360 exclusive
4. 360 exclusive
3. 360 exclusive
2. 360 exclusive
1. 360 exclusive

Core407

Banned
Flyguy said:
10. 360 exclusive
9. 360 exclusive
8. 360 exclusive
7. 360 exclusive
6. 360 exclusive
5. 360 exclusive
4. 360 exclusive
3. 360 exclusive
2. 360 exclusive
1. 360 exclusive

I haven't played 2 so this is off of 1 but some of the things I have issue with.

10. Static environments
9. Corridor shooter
8. No destructible cover
7. Vehicle sequences
6. Story

I guess that's only 4 but I haven't played the game in ages so I'm sure I could come up with more if I played it again. It's not that the game is bad - it's pretty fuckin' awesome but I get the feeling people put it way above other games when it clearly shouldn't be there. For a game that is so much about war, it's just very uneventful.

Kibbles

Gig said:

It's a little easier in co-op.

I've had some great matchmaking fun (security annex was great lol) but it takes so long to find a match. Seriously, wtf, there are tons of people playing this game, there is no reason it should take that long.

Dirtbag

Dax01 said:
The flamethrower is amazing.

I actually think the halo 3 flamethrower is more impressive looking thanks to the bloom effects, scorch marks on walls, and lingering flames. The gears flamethrower looks great when you shoot it straight into the air though :(

The gears flamethrower looks out of place, compared to shooting the other guns with sparks, and destructible cover chunks.

Core407

Banned
Dirtbag said:
I actually think the halo 3 flamethrower is more impressive looking thanks to the bloom effects, scorch marks on walls, and lingering flames. The gears flamethrower looks great when you shoot it straight into the air though :(

The gears flamethrower looks out of place, compared to shooting the other guns with sparks, and destructible cover chunks.

Dead Space has the best flame thrower for sure.

Top Bottom