• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

duffey said:
Yeah I'm reaaaaally not enjoying that part at all. Everything else in this game leading up to that point was awesome. In addition the reload takes way too long and by the time you get more ammo it might as well be game over at that point.

Hopefully not too late on this. Spoiler tagged just in case.

Take it slow - and use your zoom (LT). Try to saturate fortifications instead of just running into the middle of them at top speed. Your vehicle's health meter is represented by the various panels that catch fire. Baird will help you automatically recover any damage given some time. And this: You can reload your shells at *any time* like you would any other weapon - it even has active reloads, so you should never find yourself waiting for ammo to load.

The only part that really sucked was
driving over the ice.

antiloop

I don't understand how anyone can complain about the graphics in this game.

It's damn solid. Best use of UE3 by far as expected by EPIC+XB360. Artistically it may not appeal to everyone. It still has this special UE look to it.

The gameplay is amazing in my opinion. I loved it in Gears too. :)

angelfly

Picked it up and played quite a bit of it. Really big improvement over the first one. Would have kept on playing but I stopped since those stupid mortars were frustrating the hell out of me.

LowParry

forgeforsaken said:
Ok, who has tips for fighting Scourge solo on Hard Core? Thinking I'm going to have to invite a buddy for this....

Hardcore is pretty easy actually. Beat the game through that difficulty. Insane is what I"ll play co-op with.

Am I the only one that didn't want to keep playing in Act 4 after (story spoiler)
Maria came out of the pod all fucked up and emaciated...so sad man.

Just about to start Act 5. Hell of a game so far. This game runs a chainsaw through expectations and curbstomps the haters.

Definitely does not have a case of "Sequelitis". Touche, Clifford.

shpankey

not an idiot
screw it, i caved in. i can't take it anymore, this game looks too awesome and i can't hold out another minute. i sent my wife to best buy to pick up a xbox 360 and a copy of Gears 2. i'm havin' a good time tonight! :D :D :D

xbox land, here i come!

shpankey said:
I never understood the stance that Uncharted's graphics are the best.

The environment and lighting was amazing. Incomparable, even. Especially for a first-gen PS3 game. Naughty Dog has proven itself of making each of it's sequels much better looking as well.

That being said the characters looked awkward at times and the expressions/acting in cutscenes was average at best. Up close the skin textures were a little blurry as well. Mo-Cap is shit.

Also some of the textures were plastic-y looking and lacked proper translucency to make them more organic.

If they beefed up their textures and worked on their subsurface scattering and applied it to all organic models across the board, it WOULD be the best, but until they address those issues, I don't think I can give it the #1 spot.

Anyway, excited for Uncharted 2. Now back to Gears......

ice cream

Banned
shpankey said:
screw it, i caved in. i can't take it anymore, this game looks too awesome and i can't hold out another minute. i sent my wife to best buy to pick up a xbox 360 and a copy of Gears 2. i'm havin' a good time tonight! :D :D :D

xbox land, here i come!
Congrats! You will fucking love it. Amazing game, an amazing first game for any console.

FrankT

shpankey said:

xbox land, here i come!

See you have a GT in your profile. Not your first x360? Anyhow, game is worth the purchase itself, gratz.

DarkJC

CowJoMonkey_927 said:
How many players can you have up to split-screen in Horde?

I want to know if i need to rent a copy to play with my friends.

I believe it's maximum 2 players on one console.

shpankey

not an idiot
Jtyettis said:
See you have a GT in your profile. Not your first x360? Anyhow, game is worth the purchase itself, gratz.
yeah i had one before that red ringed. ended up doing one of the homemade fixes to it, which worked for quite awhile but eventually gave out again. but it voided my warranty.

dralla

god damn the weapon balance is all screwed up in mp. why can you just run through shots when revving the chainsaw now? :[ the shotgun shoots way too slow, the gorgon is ridiculously overpowered, the lancer bullets are too weak, the 'land mines' take forever to shoot away, the blast radius on the boomshot is HUGE..I hope epic listens to feedback and teaks the weapons.

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying the campaign for tan the mp considering how much I mp I played in Gears 1.

FrankT

shpankey said:
yeah i had one before that red ringed. ended up doing one of the homemade fixes to it, which worked for quite awhile but eventually gave out again. but it voided my warranty.

Ah I see. WB, and I hope this one lasts for ya. Of course 3 year warranty never hurts. Hopefully, the wife gets you one with a manufacture date that is not too old. More reliability ftw.

Ho Lee Fuk at the cutscene that ends Act 2...... :eek:

I'm in Act 3 now and I'm really getting drawn into the story, the game is answering (or at least looks as if its going to answer) all the questions that Gears 1 posed. And I'm not ever halfway through either!

Bravo Epic, bravo.

I'm at the beginning of Act 2, and I am really starting to feel like I'm part of an army; it's a really great thing.

Edit:
shpankey said:

xbox land, here i come!
Congrats. I'm sure you'll love it.

Just played my first two games of Horde. Pretty fun, but time consuming as hell. When I play Horde, I definitely want to play with friends, not randoms. I got to Round 19 on Security.

Played about a dozen games of multiplayer so far. And I remember why I loved the first Gears of War online so much. Definitely going to be playing this for a long time.

Nemesis_

I finished the game a few hours ago. For me, the first couple of acts were really boring but the game has really delivered.

I just wish Gears1 was Gears2 and they followed on with a sequel from here. This one just felt so much more epic than the first one, and the game actually had a (somewhat) decent storyline.

Though the game admiteddly draws a lot from other games that I've played, and those who've played the game will know what I mean. One boss fight REALLY reminded me of Del Lagos from RE4, while another segment really reminded me of the fourth Act of Metal Gear Solid 4.

Regardless though, the team did a great job and I am eagerly awaiting the third game if there is one, as this one really set the bar for me and is probably one of my most enjoyed games.

And all this coming from someone who absolutely HATED the first game, huh? =P

Also,
Is the queen dead or was it just Skorge that died from that reaver ride?

soldat7

I've been fiddling with the in-game brightness and have discovered that the default is set way too high. Turn the in-game brightness down a couple of notches for win.

It might just be me but is sure seems as if there is a bit more aliasing when compared to the first. This is probably due to the updated lighting engine. Still, the game looks incredible.

jaaz

Nemesis556 said:
And all this coming from someone who absolutely HATED the first game, huh? =P

It's not unusual. I was a little late to the party with Gears 1 and when I finally played it I thought it was a good game, but NOWHERE near as good as people claimed it was.

Gears 2 took everything that was wrong with the first Gears, fixed it, and then cranked up the story, action and pacing 100%. For me, Gears 2 was what I thought Gears 1 was going to be like.

shpankey

not an idiot
Jtyettis said:
Ah I see. WB, and I hope this one lasts for ya. Of course 3 year warranty never hurts. Hopefully, the wife gets you one with a manufacture date that is not too old. More reliability ftw.
She just got back, it has a MFR Date: 2008-09-29

that a good one?

"What are those weird glowy thingies?"
"What do I look like a fucking botanist? I don't know."

:lol :lol

shpankey said:

that a good one?
Yep. Shouldn't have to worry about RROD.

Now go have fun! :p

FrankT

soldat7 said:
I've been fiddling with the in-game brightness and have discovered that the default is set way too high. Turn the in-game brightness down a couple of notches for win.

It might just be me but is sure seems as if there is a bit more aliasing when compared to the first. This is probably due to the updated lighting engine. Still, the game looks incredible.

Yup, after testing it a bit I turned down mine just a couple of notches as well.

shpankey said:

that a good one?

Just over a month old I would say that is as solid as any out there right now. She did well.

duckroll

Just beat the game. Great ride, awesome action, awesome set pieces, great visuals. The story is so much better than the first one too, not that anyone really cares about the plot, but at least this time the game didn't have a shitty final Act. GoW2 had a lot more gimmicks and variety compared to the first one, and it really helped keep the game from feeling like "more of the same" so that's pretty good. The final encounter was kinda lol, but at least it's not retardedly annoying like RAAM was in GoW.

I don't think the Skorge is dead, and the queen is definitely not dead. Since the Locust were already getting ready to invade the surface and leave the Hollows, I'm sure there's already a secondary base somewhere else on Sera. The plot sets up a sequel pretty neatly, while feeling pretty conclusive - unlike the first game. It's obvious that the Locust are descendants of the Sires experiments and that Niles and the team got a few living experiments away from the lab before it was shut down and let them escape into the mountain. Eventually these mutated humans formed their own civilization under Sera.

I speculate that the invasion of the surface by the Locust were originally intended to wipe humanity out before the ongoing wars completely destroyed the planet. But later on in the conflict the further mutation of the Lambants caused by the Immulsion made the Locust desperate enough to decide to conquer the surface to survive.

The big question is probably what Adam Fenix's role in everything really is. He knew everything about the Locust civilization and had several plans to wipe them out. At the same time the queen seems to think highly of him, and it's implied that he had defected to the Locust side. Hmmm....

jaaz

soldat7 said:

I'm going to try this, as this is one of my minor complaints with the graphics. I think it's just the Unreal Engine though, which tends to give games that overexposed "washed-out" look, ala UT3.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
seriously, i hate this acid. any easy way to time this? maybe i suck (pre-emptive "fuck you" to any would be witty remarks)

:(

Tokubetsu

op_ivy said:
seriously, i hate this acid. any easy way to time this? maybe i suck (pre-emptive "fuck you" to any would be witty remarks)

Really? the acid part was fairly easy. The teeth area gave me more trouble and then...
Drowning because i completely cut veins in the wrong order/forgot to cut some
:lol So awesome though.

duckroll

op_ivy said:

You know you can shoot the vents to make the acid stop right?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wait, you can shoot the acid hoses!? fuck, why didnt i try that earlier :lol

EDIT: yeah, just discovered that myself when i shot one out of frustration from dying for the 100th time.

Momar

aka Ryder
Okay, someone want to explain to me wtf I'm supposed to do at this point? This vehicle sequence might be the worst thing I've ever played in my life.

Okay, the power goes out in the Centaur, I have to listen to them bitch for a minute, then the power comes back on, and I'm instantly killed by 3 Corpsers. Help?

shpankey said:

xbox land, here i come!

You will not be disappointed :)

Ryder said:
Okay, someone want to explain to me wtf I'm supposed to do at this point? This vehicle sequence might be the worst thing I've ever played in my life.

Okay, the power goes out, I have to listen to them bitch for a minute, then the power comes back on, and I'm instantly killed by a Corpser. Help?

I got stuck there too - frustrated the hell out of me for a while.

This is supposed to happen - and you CAN kill the corpsers, but not when they've got their guard up. Luckily for you - thats not the case for all of them at once.

Momar

aka Ryder
NullPointer said:
I got stuck there too - frustrated the hell out of me for a while.

This is supposed to happen - and you CAN kill the corpsers, but not when they've got their guard up. Luckily for you - thats not the case for all of them at once.

Thank you NullPointer, I will be sure to never dereference you <3

Momar

aka Ryder
Chrange said:
You could try, and it's just a suggestion,
shooting it.

I did you sarcastic twat, but I only stay alive for about a second before one of the others kills me. I've got it now, thanks to the other two people who helped.

Ryder said:

Okay, the power goes out in the Centaur, I have to listen to them bitch for a minute, then the power comes back on, and I'm instantly killed by 3 Corpsers. Help?
Beaten.

Top Bottom