• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Just finished this in co op. It is SO good. Vastly superior to Gears 1 in every single way. I found Gears 1 to be a decent, but definitely not great game. This time around I'd say they deserve the praise. It's rare to see a sequel nowadays that actually manages to improve upon everything, but Cliffy and co. delivered. I wasn't even excited for this game prerelease either.

The token vehicle section was pretty bad though. The frame rate could be better too, at least in co op. Also the game needed more of the Cole train. Way more.

harSon

Banned
I'm almost done with Act 3... JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THIS GAME IS AWESOME. The variety and pacing is superb, the environments are fucking detailed as shit, and the action is non stop. HOLY SHIT

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Just made it to level 28 in horde mode but in private match so if we died we start from where we were. awesome i think that is going to take up most of the time I play the game. Totally worth the 60 bucks.

Sailor

Holy crap..just went to check eBay for how much the Lancer's were selling for (decided to buy one) and was immediately turned off when I saw how much one of them was going for.

Link

Looks like I'll never have that Lancer by the way things are going :(

FrankT

Sailor said:
Holy crap..just went to check eBay for how much the Lancer's were selling for (decided to buy one) and was immediately turned off when I saw how much one of them was going for.

Link

Uh, wow. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sailor said:

Link

Wow. Why?!?!

Sailor said:

Link

Why is the item pic just the standard map pack card that comes in the regular edition? I have that and I ain't got no golden lancer.

Not a Jellyfish said:
Just made it to level 28 in horde mode but in private match so if we died we start from where we were. awesome i think that is going to take up most of the time I play the game. Totally worth the 60 bucks.
Yeah I see Horde mode having a lot of legs. Got to level 14 on the Day One map earlier with four random guys and had a blast. The only problem continues to be the sucky matchmaking and getting booted back to the main menu after a game. There's no excuse for this.

Merguson

Banned
1200 MS points for a golden lancer plz people don't miss out on this amazing deal k? dunt be stupood k?

(For the record, I do have a golden lancer code I haven't used yet)

Gary Whitta said:
Uh, I thought the lancer only came with the collectors edition. The ebay picture is of the card that comes with the standard edition.

Yup. Except that card has the code, while yours doesn't.

See that lancer there? Its gold.

KAOS

Awesome game! Gears is one of the few franchises that actually lives up to all the hype! Action GOTY easily!

Lostconfused said:
Yup. Except that card has the code, while yours doesn't.

See that lancer there? Its gold.
How exactly are you able to deduce this given that both cards look identical?

EDIT: Oh, I see the gold lancer now. Cool.

Gary Whitta said:
How exactly are you able to deduce this given that both cards look identical?

Because i have a card like that, with a golden lancer code that worked.

Edit: well not exactly like that. mine also has the text in french.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Sailor said:

Link

um that is retarded for something looks so crappy. haha

Ryder said:
I did you sarcastic twat, but I only stay alive for about a second before one of the others kills me.

No I think you did the same thing as I did. Here's what you do:

Go to the right edge of the cliff instead of the center.
If you go to the center, the Corpser will kill you everytime, no questions asked.

If you go to the right the Corpsers will open 1-by-1 and give you chance to rock their shit with a missle.

GhaleonEB

Picked up the LE last night, but I won't be playing it for a week or two, since I'm still working my way through Fable II. Sounds like the fucked up some of the download stuff.

I'm really looking forward to the Horde mode, big time.

SupahBlah

Banned
Warning, end game spoilers.

duckroll said:
Just beat the game. Great ride, awesome action, awesome set pieces, great visuals. The story is so much better than the first one too, not that anyone really cares about the plot, but at least this time the game didn't have a shitty final Act. GoW2 had a lot more gimmicks and variety compared to the first one, and it really helped keep the game from feeling like "more of the same" so that's pretty good. The final encounter was kinda lol, but at least it's not retardedly annoying like RAAM was in GoW.

I don't think the Skorge is dead, and the queen is definitely not dead. Since the Locust were already getting ready to invade the surface and leave the Hollows, I'm sure there's already a secondary base somewhere else on Sera. The plot sets up a sequel pretty neatly, while feeling pretty conclusive - unlike the first game. It's obvious that the Locust are descendants of the Sires experiments and that Niles and the team got a few living experiments away from the lab before it was shut down and let them escape into the mountain. Eventually these mutated humans formed their own civilization under Sera.

I speculate that the invasion of the surface by the Locust were originally intended to wipe humanity out before the ongoing wars completely destroyed the planet. But later on in the conflict the further mutation of the Lambants caused by the Immulsion made the Locust desperate enough to decide to conquer the surface to survive.

The big question is probably what Adam Fenix's role in everything really is. He knew everything about the Locust civilization and had several plans to wipe them out. At the same time the queen seems to think highly of him, and it's implied that he had defected to the Locust side. Hmmm....

I believe Skorge was on the hydra when you killed it, I originally thought the Locusts where descendants of the Sires at least some of their experiments but while underground they kept mentioning how old the buildings are and some of them have been destroyed/weathered. I also haven't got all the collectables so they might shed some more light. It would make sense with the Queen being half Human but it could also be that the Sires and the research was splicing Locusts DNA onto Human, hopefully we'll find out.

The Queen definitely survived and as you seen in Landown the Locust control surface cities too, so they'll have a stronghold somewhere. Its also interesting without Jacinto where the COG will retreat to, it was their last city.

I really thought Adam Fenix was killed and that's why Marcus was in prison he left to go save him but couldn't and was arrested for deserting. But the Queen's comments about his father to Marcus and then the "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" after the credits, well I want to know more. :(

Going to get on for a night of Gears 2 multiplayer here in a bit. If anyone is getting any GAF Horde games going, or any parties in general, send me an invite.

GT= RyoGCH

Just finished campaign. Brilliant stuff. I feel like Epic raised the bar to unprecedented heights and I feel bad for the competition. I think some of the trial and error scenarios were frustrating, but all in all, the game's campaign so big and epic that it makes the first game look like a preface, rather than a chapter in the series. The characters were, for the most part, very alive and vibrant. The personalities and dialogue were over-the-top and Cole, in particular, shines brightly.

I was beginning to think that the Dom/Maria situation would be mishandled based on the first piece of dialogue regarding it. Way corny and way overacted, even for Gears. But as the story progressed through a flashback and some dialogue, the actual meeting was brutal. This is something which completely caught me off-guard. Unsettling and beautiful.

I think given the ending of the game and the audio after the credits really sets up for a great first level in Gears 3. I'd really like to see Marcus on Emergence Day, following him as he deserts his post. They should design it as a flashback preceding the events of the trilogy and showing why Fenix was court marshaled and what happened to his father thereafter. At least a big meaty cinematic.

Anyways, great game. Hats off to Cliff, Rod and the Epic bunch. Impressive.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm really looking forward to the Horde mode, big time.
When you're ready to play, let me know. Horde mode is worth the price of admission alone, but the campaign outshines all else in my opinion. It's that good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm nearing the end of Act 4 and just...wow. It's been a phenomenal game so far, there's only one part that seemed kinda glitched.

End of Act 3:
The lake boss, or the tentacle cutting part anyway. I got stuck in the air on two instances, literally unable to move so I had to get killed to fix it. It seems like rolling towards the tentacle to chainsaw is what messes it up.

Ryder said:
Okay, someone want to explain to me wtf I'm supposed to do at this point? This vehicle sequence might be the worst thing I've ever played in my life.

Okay, the power goes out in the Centaur, I have to listen to them bitch for a minute, then the power comes back on, and I'm instantly killed by 3 Corpsers. Help?

I didn't have any issues with it, just shoot the one that has its arms extended out, all 3 do it one at a time.

Edit: Super late. :p

Oh my god. :lol :lol Cole Train. :lol :lol

That whole scene of Cole taking out those three locusts before he joins up with your squad was just badass.

MercuryLS

Banned
Wow, when you see the
first city come down right before you
and you can see the brightly lit sky and the smoke and debris from the wreckage. Holy shit man, totally an :O moment there.

daw840

Dax01 said:
Oh my god. :lol :lol Cole Train. :lol :lol

That whole scene of Cole taking out those three locusts before he joins up with your squad was just badass.

Quite possibly my favorite cut scene in the whole game!!:lol

I'm at the...
uncover slowly... cavern raft underwater creature giant written as least spoilery titles first
what act am I on and how much more of the game is there?

I feel like it took the game a little time to get into its groove and I hate to say there is too much variety in the first few hours of the game. Its now back to the wall of enemies advance, wall of enemies advance routine with cool highlights here and there. Really love that formula especially with this series. Visually the game is spectacular and scope and scale makes the first game look like a cute side story.

borsdy

Banned
hay guyz

Seriously 1.0 really doesn't do anything for Gears 2? I am talking about the linked achievements from the first game apparently unlocking stuff for you in the sequal.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The fact that they make Cole and Braid reference the "Look at all dat juice" from the first game was awesome. Hilarious

shpankey

not an idiot
borsdy said:
hay guyz

Seriously 1.0 really doesn't do anything for Gears 2? I am talking about the linked achievements from the first game apparently unlocking stuff for you in the sequal.
yeah it unlocked stuff for me. i haven't had a xbox 360 for 540 days (recovered my gamertag) and i bought this one tonight. when i loaded up the game for the first time, a whole bunch of stuff unlocked right off the bat.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
borsdy said:
hay guyz

Nah, Seriously doesn't affect Gears 2 in any way.

Sushen

Not a Jellyfish said:
I didn't expect Horde mode to be this fun. I can totally see myself playing this mode even long after I'm done with the game. I'm loving this game, minus flaky frame rate.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ACT 5 is the most graphically stunning area of the game. The scenes before on Act 4 compete for it. Oh and
the falling city looks incredible

Surfheart

Frillen said:
Anyone who says this isn't the best looking console game ever needs their eyes checked.

I was kinda underwhelmed with the visuals at first. They are decent but there are better looking games out there IMHO. I really think it's the jaggies, they seem far more noticeable than in the first Gears. MP graphics are a bit rough looking too.

Blueblur1

Quick question.

So I'm riding the Brumak and then I get to the Corpser. When the Brumak engages the Corpser am I supposed to hold B or rapidly press it? I've been doing the latter (pressing) and it always kills the Brumak.

Top Bottom