• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

duckroll

SupahBlah said:
Warning, end game spoilers.

I believe Skorge was on the hydra when you killed it, I originally thought the Locusts where descendants of the Sires at least some of their experiments but while underground they kept mentioning how old the buildings are and some of them have been destroyed/weathered. I also haven't got all the collectables so they might shed some more light. It would make sense with the Queen being half Human but it could also be that the Sires and the research was splicing Locusts DNA onto Human, hopefully we'll find out.

The Queen definitely survived and as you seen in Landown the Locust control surface cities too, so they'll have a stronghold somewhere. Its also interesting without Jacinto where the COG will retreat to, it was their last city.

I really thought Adam Fenix was killed and that's why Marcus was in prison he left to go save him but couldn't and was arrested for deserting. But the Queen's comments about his father to Marcus and then the "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" after the credits, well I want to know more. :(

Skorge was on the Hydra, but when it died and crashed, he fell off and it didn't look like he died from the fall. Since you shot the Hydra down miles from Jacinto, I would assume that he was just stuck there until some other Reaver comes along and gives him a ride. He's a pretty tough character and I won't be surprised if he returns in the sequel or maybe an expansion pack.

As for the origin of the Locust, it really depends on how long they've been down there. The research station with the Sires seemed pretty old, and possibly even pre-Pendulam Wars era. The nature of the research and the mention of how it is humanity's only hope for survival indicates that it could be pre-Imulsion as well, since humans were running out of fossil fuels. If that's the case, then the Locust could well be 50-100 years old. They only have a single major city, and the ruins don't really look THAT old to me.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Geezus christ. I wasnt a huge fan of the first Gears. Gears 2 is fucking GOTY. Bow Mr. Cliffy, bow Epic. After the first act or so the game just hits you with non stop wowments.

Xevren

Blueblur1 said:
Quick question.

So I'm riding the Brumak and then I get to the Corpser. When the Brumak engages the Corpser am I supposed to hold B or rapidly press it? I've been doing the latter (pressing) and it always kills the Brumak.

Rapidly, just like a chainsaw duel.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
duckroll said:
Skorge was on the Hydra, but when it died and crashed, he fell off and it didn't look like he died from the fall. Since you shot the Hydra down miles from Jacinto, I would assume that he was just stuck there until some other Reaver comes along and gives him a ride. He's a pretty tough character and I won't be surprised if he returns in the sequel or maybe an expansion pack.

As for the origin of the Locust, it really depends on how long they've been down there. The research station with the Sires seemed pretty old, and possibly even pre-Pendulam Wars era. The nature of the research and the mention of how it is humanity's only hope for survival indicates that it could be pre-Imulsion as well, since humans were running out of fossil fuels. If that's the case, then the Locust could well be 50-100 years old. They only have a single major city, and the ruins don't really look THAT old to me.

My take: Locusts are human created. The Queen is probably some kind of Sire. The WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? makes my hairs stand up... it had an unexpected impact on me. I really, REALLY, want to see where this goes.

MaizeRage25 said:
Agreed. Very strange.
I'm thinking that this is due to the fact that the combat scenario had already been played and played out to some degree in the first game. The enemy, although cool, was pretty one dimensional. That said, it would have been clever to see a few Berserkers here and there.

See

Do you have to be online for Gears of War 2 to recognize the linked achievements? Because right now, those unlockables are not checked in the journal. I haven't been online for ages and wont be for some time because I capped my bandwidth....

Holy crap. Motherfucking "Bigger, Better, More Badass" indeed. Action just doesn't slow down. I never expected Gears 2 to be this much awesome.

I just can't pass through all areas without looking around, specially cave areas. It is definitely one of the best sequel which is improved a lot.

The BEST thing I like is there is ALMOST no long loading screen even after doing this much in the game except when you die, which is acceptable. You keep playing and playing.

I was looking for vibrant color setting like Gears 1 before I started playing it. As others said, found default brightness level kinda high. I brought it down two notch and it is much better.

Gonna start Act 4 now...

Lkr

Dax01 said:
The whole taking cover behind the worm thing was a fantastic idea. It really changes the gameplay for the better.
I thought that part was disgusting to say the least. gave me shivers:lol

just finished the game, truly an epic game ;)

Horde mode is fun, I only went to lvl 15 in it and it was enjoyable for how long it lasted, but I don't see myself playing it too muc with Left 4 Dead out soon.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Nutter said:
That section for me was pitch black. Check your TV.

nah, my settings are spot on. load up this picture on your xbox and turn up the brightness until all four numbers are visible (but not so high that you compromise the blackness of the background): http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a37/drohne/Brightness.jpg

i wonder if they went with blue instead of black in that section because most tvs are misconfigured (and the 360s output is overly dark besides)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So, have people run into any bugs yet?

When I first came to the vehicle section of the game I shut the X360 down. And later, when it picked it up again and was gonna play the level, the tank wouldn't move at all. I could shoot and turn the turret, but it wouldn't move forward. When I reloaded the checkpoint it worked fine again.

In the mission where you're fighting a large fish in a cave some weird shit happened (spoiler warning here I guess, if you don't wanna know how to fight it):
After I threw in a grenade in its mouth and it released its grip on the ship I suddenly found myself stuck slightly above the ground or on a rail or something. I seemed to be somewhat above the ship anyways, and I couldn't move. Then I died when it attacked the ship again.

keanerie

beat it

wow, this game...i wasn't a huge fan of the original and i kinda picked this up on a feeling, and man it definitely blew me away and managed to wipe all the bad connotations the series has always had for me

probably the best paced action game since RE4

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
keanerie said:
beat it

wow, this game...i wasn't a huge fan of the original and i kinda picked this up on a feeling, and man it definitely blew me away and managed to wipe all the bad connotations the series has always had for me

probably the best paced action game since RE4

Someone might kill you

destrosio

Neo Member
PhatSaqs said:
Geezus christ. I wasnt a huge fan of the first Gears. Gears 2 is fucking GOTY. Bow Mr. Cliffy, bow Epic. After the first act or so the game just hits you with non stop wowments.

oooh yesss.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I need some help. I'm on Act 3 Chapter 4, I believe and
this stupid Centaur tank mission is pissing me off. I'm at the part where you come to a blockade with turrets shooting at you, with a Reaver constantly flying around, etc. Even when I shoot millions of rockets at the turret/rocket area and kill all ground Locust, as SOON as I drive downward towards the blockade, the turrets and rocket shooters all get me INSTANTLY.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I ran into a bug in Act 5 and it was a pretty big bug that almost prevented me from completing the game. For some reason, Dom refused to do anything in Act 5. I was playing it on hardcore, single player. He would never shoot or engage the enemy, which made the entire act a BITCH to go through. I repeated sections unnecessarily because it was basically me versus everyone. So there's a part of the act where
you have to control the crane and transport Dom over. Well, as you can guess...he refused to get on the platform. So I had to reset my single player campaign to begin on that chapter and act on a different save file. Thankfully the chapter begins right at that crane part, so it was no problem to fix...but still, Act 5 was made more difficult because Dom wouldn't do shit.

keanerie

Wario64 said:
I ran into a bug in Act 5 and it was a pretty big bug that almost prevented me from completing the game. For some reason, Dom refused to do anything in Act 5. I was playing it on hardcore, single player. He would never shoot or engage the enemy, which made the entire act a BITCH to go through. I repeated sections unnecessarily because it was basically me versus everyone. So there's a part of the act where
you have to control the crane and transport Dom over. Well, as you can guess...he refused to get on the platform. So I had to reset my single player campaign to begin on that chapter and act on a different save file. Thankfully the chapter begins right at that crane part, so it was no problem to fix...but still, Act 5 was made more difficult because Dom wouldn't do shit.

same thing happened to me, yeah that made act 5 a real chore at times

except he woke up for the crane part

Is there anyway to play splitscreen online with randoms in horde mode? I tried and it said the other player needs a active LIVE account but couldnt you play online before with a guest?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
GhostRidah said:
Is there anyway to play splitscreen online with randoms in horde mode? I tried and it said the other player needs a active LIVE account but couldnt you play online before with a guest?

Can't play public games in split-screen

SupahBlah

Banned
duckroll said:

Well the pendulum war lasted 79/97 (I forget going from memory) years and only stopped on emergence day at least according to the collectables, I guess I just don't know how genetic enhancement could save a civilisation without fossil fuels. But the New Hope research station did look very old.

The ruins before the boat section look old, they look more weathered than destroyed.

There's a lot more from Niles and Adam Fenix to come that's for sure.

adam_grif

Banned
It's funny.
Resistance 2 and Gears 2 both seem like they are taking steps towards the whole "humanity created monsters" angle.

Big-E

Made it all the way to near the end of Act 4 in about an afternoon. I liked the first Gears of Wat a bit but so far this sequel blows it out of the water. Graphically, it seems to be a bit cleaner looking and not as rough. All the weapons feel awesome and I really like that Locust rifle and that small Locust sub machine gun. My only real complaint is that I have noticed a few frame rate drops but they are not common.

Kibbles

Wow, there is a ton of new shit in that level demonstrated at E3 :p I thought I knew what was coming this whole time. :lol

Dot50Cal

Banned
duckroll said:

I may be wrong here, but didn't a file in the game mention that there we're seasonal immulsion changes? That might indicate that their cities were bathed in immulsion during certain times which would make them look a lot more weathered. Even just the environment down there.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Domino Theory said:
I need some help. I'm on Act 3 Chapter 4, I believe and
this stupid Centaur tank mission is pissing me off. I'm at the part where you come to a blockade with turrets shooting at you, with a Reaver constantly flying around, etc. Even when I shoot millions of rockets at the turret/rocket area and kill all ground Locust, as SOON as I drive downward towards the blockade, the turrets and rocket shooters all get me INSTANTLY.

Yeah, it's tough, but what I did was when I was about to drive down to the tower after killing off the initial forces, I'd empty the entire tank rocket clip, get a Perfect Reload, come slowly down the road, and as soon as they say to hit the tower, hit it relentlessly with the entire Perfect Reload clip, and that one clip should be enough to take it out...

SupahBlah

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
I may be wrong here, but didn't a file in the game mention that there we're seasonal immulsion changes? That might indicate that their cities were bathed in immulsion during certain times which would make them look a lot more weathered. Even just the environment down there.

There was the Locust calender that looks like a sundial, it has the symbols for imulsion and flood, like its coming and that's why they were desperately trying to get to the surface.

But if they knew that was coming they would have had to have surfaced in the past which is doubtful.

It could just be that something fat and stupid like a brumak stepped on a building by accident.

Kibbles

Woah...
The lambent Brumak at the end, it's face looks very similar to the Sires. Just some food for thought about any conspiracy theories with Miles and that abandoned COG Outpost... experiments with imulsion?

adam_grif

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Perfect Reload clip,

Skilotonn said:

8230themoarukno.JPG

Tanks do not have clips. Tanks have magazines.

LevityNYC

Banned
Can anyone get a horde match going? I've been doing a search for 15 minutes and havent found 1 game.

This has got to be a network error or something right?

SupahBlah

Banned
Kibbles said:
Woah...
The lambent Brumak at the end, it's face looks very similar to the Sires. Just some food for thought about any conspiracy theories with Miles and that abandoned COG Outpost... experiments with imulsion?

That's something I never thought of, it could be that the humans created the Lambent rather than the Locust.

There's the bit where a Lambert dives at Delta on the lift but Cole kills him mid air and the imulsion crawls back up the rock and enters the other Lambert.

That wasn't really touched on.

This game doesn't answer any questions at all related to the story. They just threw in a whole ton of new twists and no explanations. You can speculate all you want but i am not even sure anyone at epic knows where this is going.

Kibbles said:
Woah...

Well there are two majors differences there.
They don't glow, or explode
adam_grif said:
Tanks do not have clips. Tanks have magazines.
I believe the word you are looking for is a shell.

Edit:Hmmm but i guess since its a set of rounds/shells/whatever it probably is a magazine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I reckon the Locust are, in their entirety, human creations.

There might be some bit of Gears lore that contradicts that but it was the feeling I got.

Fredescu

Finished the campaign and was considering an early trade in. Question though, in split screen Horde viable? I've heard good things, but I also heard, I forget where, that it's quite difficult to get anywhere with only two players.

daw840

Fredescu said:
Finished the campaign and was considering an early trade in. Question though, in split screen Horde viable? I've heard good things, but I also heard, I forget where, that it's quite difficult to get anywhere with only two players.

I was playing Horde online with two of my friends that were on the same Xbox. It worked just fine. We had trouble getting past wave 19, but we got way past that when we added a couple more people. You can play split screen online, but the 2nd player has to download their live profile and play under that.

Fredescu

daw840 said:
I was playing Horde online with two of my friends that were on the same Xbox. It worked just fine. We had trouble getting past wave 19, but we got way past that when we added a couple more people. You can play split screen online, but the 2nd player has to download their live profile and play under that.
I meant viable in terms of possibility to complete without having more than two people. I did the campaign split screen and we did the profile download thing for that.

Top Bottom