• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
I thought it was referring to that text-wall of bullshit that's been quoted a million times. Hence the pfft.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Gears of War 2 is like Bad Boys 2 sci fi.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is like Ninja Scroll with guns.

Both are fucking awesome.

Neither amounts to anything deep.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
adam_grif said:
ANYA IS THE LOCUST QUEEN.

I seriously thought this was plausible :lol Hell I could have placed bets on this being true.

But no, its a joke people. You shouldn't do that junior, you might get burnt.

Teknoman

People call others that are in charge and greatly respected "The big boss" all the time. Especially when just casually talking about them.

soldat7

adam_grif said:
<RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE>

This has turned into a rant, but it needs to be said. Hideo Kojima, like the writers of Lost, was making shit up as he went along. Hideo Kojima is not a genius, he is a hack who has thousands of fans jerking him off at every opportunity. Using big words and talking about "issues" does not mean the words were appropriate, or that the issues were handled well.

Oh and Cliffy B is a douchebag.

I'm not a fan of how MGS4 ended, but overall your post is

2ilhhrc.gif

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shake Appeal said:
He's 100% correct. Kojima is a hack, and everything he writes, if considered outside of a videogame context, should be considered D-grade trash.
It must be hard to see all us little people from all the way up your own ass.

Costanza

Banned
adam_grif said:
I'm sorry, but Kojima is a hack who needs an editor more than he needs to team up with anybody. I love Metal Gear Solid, the game series. I do not love Metal Gear Solid, the dialogue, or Metal Gear Solid, the overblown cutscenes.

Maybe it's just a translation thing? Maybe it all sounds and is amazing if you listen to it all in it's original Japanese. But that doesn't excuse the fact that all of the "important issues" are handled with a callous disregard for subtlety. Kojima does not have any qualms about screaming "NUKES ARE BAD, PRIVATE MILITARIZATION IS BAD, CENSORSHIP IS BAD" into your ear.

The games are so anvilicious that it's frankly sickening. The dialogue is often awkward. I will say that the voice acting, and the voice actors themselves are outstanding. It's just a shame they have such a shitty script to work with. HEY JACK, DO YOU REMEMBER THE DAY WE FIRST MET. METAL GEAR?! NAOMI? WHY?! BIG BOSS!

Speaking of which, Big Boss? What the fuck!? Everytime I say or type that I get that voice inside my head that tells me to stop talking before I say stupid shit go crazy at me. I sound like retard just saying it. The Boss was an acceptable name. Big Boss sounds like something a 4 year old would call himself when he goes on a power trip.

And FUCK, I hate it everytime Kojima goes on one of those "deep and meaningful" tirades. MGS1 it was all about genes, MGS2 was all about information control and memes, MGS3 was not quite as bad, then MGS4 hammers it home about
NANO-NANO-NANOMACHINES
and Private Military Corporations. Then the end with
Zero and Big Boss.... YEAH OK, WE GET IT, HIS NAME IS ZERO. YOU ARE NOT BEING WITTY KOJIMA, "SENDING ZERO BACK TO NOTHING" IS NOT WITTY, AND YOU SHOULD SHUT UP NOW.

Then the ass pull with Liquid Ocelot at the end of MGS4?

This has turned into a rant, but it needs to be said. Hideo Kojima, like the writers of Lost, was making shit up as he went along. Hideo Kojima is not a genius, he is a hack who has thousands of fans jerking him off at every opportunity. Using big words and talking about "issues" does not mean the words were appropriate, or that the issues were handled well.

Oh and Cliffy B is a douchebag.
holy shit :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
So I'm having a blast with the game. Until Cliffy & his Epic boyz got high one afternoon and dreamed up with the Centaur tank sequence. WTF. Dudes. STOP DESIGNING VEHICLES, VEHICLE CONTROLS, VEHICLE LEVELS, ANYTHING REMOTELY CLOSE TO CONTROLLING A VEHICLE JUST STAND THE FUCK BACK. YOU SUCK AT IT. Of course after the vehicle level they give me some of the best set pieces I've ever played.

Kibbles

Fuck this game is just so much fun! >.<

Oh and I don't know if you guys noticed but the 1UPShow has Gears 2 in it, but it's not the review video from before, which I thought it was, but overall impressions from more people. They seem to like it A LOT, as stated in the opening. Oh, and lol at the 7-11 jab. (still watching right now actually).

Yeah I know, I'm late.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
RSTEIN said:
So I'm having a blast with the game. Until Cliffy & his Epic boyz got high one afternoon and dreamed up with the Centaur tank sequence. WTF. Dudes. STOP DESIGNING VEHICLES, VEHICLE CONTROLS, VEHICLE LEVELS, ANYTHING REMOTELY CLOSE TO CONTROLLING A VEHICLE JUST STAND THE FUCK BACK. YOU SUCK AT IT. Of course after the vehicle level they give me some of the best set pieces I've ever played.

I just got to that section 2. It's like Halo - fun :/

So far two sequences I don't like surrounded by a lot of awesome.

Also, where the FUCK ARE MY KRILL, THERON GUARDS and BESERKERS?!?

They better make it somewhere in these last 3 chapters. I guess the Razor hail works similar to the Krill, but I want them back. They better be in the game.

Teknoman

RSTEIN said:

Unreal Tournament 2004 and III vehicles controlled fine though...

Therons are in Horde.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Teknoman said:
Unreal Tournament 2004 and III vehicles controlled fine though...

Therons are in Horde.

what?

UTs vehicles control like crap too.

Everyone of Epic's games has had bad vehicle controlling but excellent character control.

RSTEIN said:

I actually really liked that vehicle sequence. I thought the physics and control were great. Felt and moved just like the Warthog.

Teknoman

DopeyFish said:
what?

UTs vehicles control like crap too.

Everyone of Epic's games has had bad vehicle controlling but excellent character control.

I dunno, those buggy things with the blades on the sides controlled ok for me.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Damn, I keep getting fucked up by those boomers
during the part where you and Dom are in the train car with the razor hail and it slowly rolls by a bunch of enemies. It just seems like I can't down them fast enough before they launch a fucking missile in my face. Add in a shitty check point placement, so I have to spend 10 mins. getting back to that part.
Any tips to get through that or make it easier? Playing on hardcore by the way.

adam_grif

Banned
People call others that are in charge and greatly respected "The big boss" all the time. Especially when just casually talking about them.

Next time you're at work, wait until your boss comes up to you, then shout "BIG BOSS?!". See how people react, and notice how awkward it sounds.

It must be hard to see all us little people from all the way up your own ass.

mightyboosh.jpg

StoOgE

purg3 said:
Damn, I keep getting fucked up by those boomers
during the part where you and Dom are in the train car with the razor hail and it slowly rolls by a bunch of enemies. It just seems like I can't down them fast enough before they launch a fucking missile in my face. Add in a shitty check point placement, so I have to spend 10 mins. getting back to that part.
Any tips to get through that or make it easier? Playing on hardcore by the way.

I just stayed in cover. lulz

Teknoman

adam_grif said:
Next time you're at work, wait until your boss comes up to you, then shout "BIG BOSS?!". See how people react, and notice how awkward it sounds.

I work part time at Gamestop so that might not be so awkward :lol

Teknoman said:
I work part time at Gamestop so that might not be so awkward :lol

Off topic: what Gamestop do you work at? I live in Houston too...

On topic: Game is pretty awesome, better than Gears 1 in all aspects (yes, even environments). Havent played online multi yet because I updated to NXE, so have to wait for 19th, but system linked some horde and deathmatch. Overall I think this game is a solid 9.5, my only beef is the vehicle sections are pretty poor.

Teknoman

Saren is Bad said:
Off topic: what Gamestop do you work at? I live in Houston too...

On topic: Game is pretty awesome, better than Gears 1 in all aspects (yes, even environments). Havent played online multi yet because I updated to NXE, so have to wait for 19th, but system linked some horde and deathmatch. Overall I think this game is a solid 9.5, my only beef is the vehicle sections are pretty poor.

The one on near Mesa Rd. and Tidwell. Its the only gamestop I know of thats sandwiched between a Little Caesars and a liquor store >_>

robot

Just got
eaten by the worm
. It's games like this that remind me why I'll be playing videogames for the rest of my life. Between Single Player Campaign, Co-op Campaign, and Horde - Gears 2 has been an incredible experience so far.

Nooreo

Im back from my friends house, i went to check out gears of war 2,played horde mode and it was one of the funnest co-op experiences ive ever had, reminds me of world of warcraft when theres a 5man group. We got to wave 5 and died by the bombers. It was tons of fun. thats all i have to say.

I also love it when one of the enemy's say "THE HUNGER!!!"

Teknoman

I really like how you can actually manage to escape some people by crawling. I hid by a wall and had everyone looking for me :lol

StoOgE

Also, the scene inside the worm with all the fucking blood when you start cutting the hearts open. LOL HA HA HA HA HA

duffey

Teknoman said:
The one on near Mesa Rd. and Tidwell. Its the only gamestop I know of thats sandwiched between a Little Caesars and a liquor store >_>
Weird, I live by a Little Caesars and it's right next to a liquor store as well. Is that how they're building them now? Because that's awesome.

keanerie

how far have people gotten soloing Horde? is anyone doing this but me?

i made it to wave 7 earlier...is it scaled depending on how many folks you have?

Teknoman

duffey said:
Weird, I live by a Little Caesars and it's right next to a liquor store as well. Is that how they're building them now? Because that's awesome.

Possibly. Though I still dont understand how people pop in sometimes, see all the games all over, then ask "Is this the liquor store?" :lol

Oh and more off-topic ness, but I had to point out this banner ad:

10ndum9.jpg

WTF at before and after. Thats one powerful pill if it can alter genetics.

rcua1884

Teknoman said:
I really like how you can actually manage to escape some people by crawling. I hid by a wall and had everyone looking for me :lol

Oh man, I remember that! Weren't you hiding in that little alcove by the stairway into the courtyard in...Avalanche?? Took me forever to find you! I thought you were crawling around inside the nearby woodpaneled buildings...

Nemesis_

StoOgE said:
I just got to that section 2. It's like Halo - fun :/

So far two sequences I don't like surrounded by a lot of awesome.

Also, where the FUCK ARE MY KRILL, THERON GUARDS and BESERKERS?!?

They better make it somewhere in these last 3 chapters. I guess the Razor hail works similar to the Krill, but I want them back. They better be in the game.
Dream on. Though, Theron Guards are in the game. The others aren't. Something to do with them dying out after the first game or something.

Teknoman

rcua1884 said:
Oh man, I remember that! Weren't you hiding in that little alcove by the stairway into the courtyard in...Avalanche?? Took me forever to find you! I thought you were crawling around inside the nearby woodpaneled buildings...

Yeah, I thought I was dead because I was downed right by two locust. They ran right by me when I hid there.

rcua1884

Teknoman said:
Yeah, I thought I was dead because I was downed right by two locust. They ran right by me when I hid there.
Lucky you! I had terrible timing tonight trying to revive teammembers. By the time I'd reach them to press X, Locusts nearby would start their executions. Happened like 3 times.

this game is so fricking amazing. they really mixed up the gameplay in the campaign mode. just finished the stealth-type level past the security cameras in the underground science lab. also, played some split-screen horde mode with a friend. GOTY for me so far

Just finished the campaign on Hardcore. THANK YOU EPIC!!! That is how you make a sequel. I was blown away more and more the further I got into the game.
Game of this gen for me.
Couldn't believe some of the stuff I was seeing and hearing throughout my 11-12 hours of playing. Only part I disliked was
driving that tank over the ice
but that was only 3-5 minutes of the game.
Oh one other complaint. I wish Hardcore was a little more hard. It felt more like normal.

Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gears2>>>>>>>Gears1

Teknoman

Also, since we know Cliffy is paying attention to this topic, is there any way the death photomode shots can be improved? Right now, for some reason, the shots look alot lower quality than the actual game. Shouldn't it be sorta like how Wipeout HD or Halo 3 spruces up the shots a bit?

I just got myself this game. I must say, I'm pretty impressed by the campaign so far. Graphically, it looks better than ever.

The meatshield feature is fucking rad.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The ending was alright, but the story centric parts of the campaign leading UP TO the ending were AMAZING.

With that said, I really hope Epic and Microsoft left Gears of War 2 open for campaign DLC expanding the story just like Recon is doing for Halo 3.

Domino Theory said:
With that said, I really hope Epic and Microsoft left Gears of War 2 open for campaign DLC expanding the story just like Recon is doing for Halo 3.

They may have, but there is definitely a Gears of War 3 coming sometime. I'd guess for the next Xbox. I'd say the Gears team will put out one more 360 game and then do Gears 3 for the next Xbox.

Also, Cliffy did talk about possibly doing single-player DLC for the first Gears of War so...It may happen for Gears 2. Who knows.

Top Bottom