• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

daw840

People keep saying that Gears 3 won't be out until the next Xbox. IIRC, I remember watching a video with some important people in the gaming industry saying that the next gen won't come out for another 4-5 years? That seems like a long time to wait to release Gears 3.

just finished the level
inside the fucking worm!
Gave me Zelda OoT flashbacks! Loving the variety in the level designs and gameplay this soon in (and to think after the first level i was kind of worried that it was just more of the same, 1up was spot on with this) and
sucks about Tai and Carmine

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
daw840 said:
People keep saying that Gears 3 won't be out until the next Xbox. IIRC, I remember watching a video with some important people in the gaming industry saying that the next gen won't come out for another 4-5 years? That seems like a long time to wait to release Gears 3.

probably more like 3 years until next gen

DopeyFish said:
probably more like 3 years until next gen

I'd say 3 years MAX. And I'd expect a new Halo and Gears within one year of the launch of the new Xbox. One probably at or near launch.

But let's just enjoy Gears 2 for now eh? I'm loving it. Can't stop playing multiplayer.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just finished replaying up through about the mid-point of Act 4 in CO-OP (with a friend in the same room on a different display) and I feel better about the experience this time around. I still prefer the locales of the original, but these new areas are quite beautiful in their own right and the levels are well designed. It's like one big roller coaster ride.

Surfheart

Surfheart said:
I was kinda underwhelmed with the visuals at first. They are decent but there are better looking games out there IMHO. I really think it's the jaggies, they seem far more noticeable than in the first Gears. MP graphics are a bit rough looking too.

Fuck, well I'm an idiot. Did I really say that?

The game becomes absolutely fucking amazing. My Personal GOTY.

alexh

Just finished the game on hardcore

It was really hard, I had to repeat a few sections.. a few in particular stand out..

The time when the power goes out and it seemed like the second it went back on you got instakilled by a corpser

The time you have to defend the data comm station

The time you escape on the Reaver.. I had no idea you could dodge out of the way of the missles

It was a really good campaign, this time though it seemed like everyone had lingo for Locust tactics, you were on the offensive, etc. Felt like you were an ultimate bad ass fucking up all that is locust. Felt like you were in complete control... even though every new character dies.

One part in the campaign that was really strange was when we finally find Maria. I thought something was up because she walks out looking fine like nothing is wrong. Then we see the decrepid, broken person that is Maria left, and Dom has to euthenise her like some kind of animal. I guess I don't see what the purpose of that substory was.. you find her.. alive.. but fucked up.. and then you kill her? I guess with the suicide of Tai, you might have seen it coming? There is like one dream sequence, he cares more about finding her than anything, and after shes dead he wants to fuck shit up.. kinda seems like theres more to it than that.. or there should be. Maybe they just put it in there for the OMGWTFness.

Also I lol'd at the subject of the 5th "journal entry" you find.

and WTF MARCUS'S DAD OMGWTFMEGATON?

GOTY for sure, and I haven't even played multiplayer yet. Probably shoulda played Resistance 2 before this, because I don't know how its going to top that campaign.

bumpkin

ToyMachine228 said:
I'd say 3 years MAX. And I'd expect a new Halo and Gears within one year of the launch of the new Xbox. One probably at or near launch.

But let's just enjoy Gears 2 for now eh? I'm loving it. Can't stop playing multiplayer.
Well, it was about two years between Gears and Gears 2, so two more years would put it well within three years. :D Besides, why go back to the technological drawing board when they could just continue to add new features to UE3 on the 360 and then incorporate them into a third Gears?

harSon

Banned
Just beat the game and HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT. Best game of this generation, hands down. Not even a contest. The campaign was simply amazing, nonstop action for 10+ hours. Amazing.

ntb825

So what's the big secret to beating the bullshit
sea creature?

I can
get inside of it, but then the tentacle things take me out in two hits. I know I'm supposed to shoot them until the mouth opens, but it seems like I die within seconds of getting inside the mouth

By the way, that entire chapter has been one of the single most frustrating parts of any game i've played in recent memory. I'd go as far as to call it "bad"

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The online play in this game is a fucking chainsaw fest and it's pissing me off.

You can run around the map holding B and you are guaranteed quite a few kills per game.

MercuryLS

Banned
Black_Ice said:
The online play in this game is a fucking chainsaw fest and it's pissing me off.

You can run around the map holding B and you are guaranteed quite a few kills per game.

So they ficed the shotgun but broke the chainsaw? :(

Teknoman

Black_Ice said:

What? Seriously? I havent played competitive since friday, but the chainsaws were no more dangerous than before.

Also if you get a face full of hammerburst fire, you arent chainsawing anything. Could someone explain what makes the chainsaws so much more dangerous now?

shpankey

not an idiot
ntb825 said:
So what's the big secret to beating the bullshit
sea creature?

I can
get inside of it, but then the tentacle things take me out in two hits. I know I'm supposed to shoot them until the mouth opens, but it seems like I die within seconds of getting inside the mouth

By the way, that entire chapter has been one of the single most frustrating parts of any game i've played in recent memory. I'd go as far as to call it "bad"
how is that even possible? i had to do that section over like 10 times and every time i made it in the mouth i took numerous hits without dying. probably 6 or 7 till it killed me. anyhow, just shoot the tips of the glowing blue tentacle. you have to do 4 or 5, then the mouth opens, toss a grenade in it. it kicks you out of the mouth, wash, rinse, repeat.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
MercuryLS said:
So they ficed the shotgun but broke the chainsaw? :(

Yeah. If they're close to you and have the lancer out you may as well consider yourself fucked.

And if you have the shotgun then 75% of the time the shotgun does NOT stun the chainsaw at all. There have been multiple occasions where I've AIMED (Like most people, I usually shoot from the hip with the shotty) at someone with the chainsaw revved and they run straight through it.

Now, half the time that yoou're in a skirmish someone will chainsaw you.

And chainsaw duels? Forget about it. 80% of the chainsaw duels I've seen/been in are never finished but interrupted, and you're a sitting duck.

Also, the shotty is more balanced but I think it is a bit underpowered for close range.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
YOU'VE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!! :lol

It only takes a grand total of two hits from the Nemasyists in "Rolling Thunder" on Insane to destroy Betty. Grr.

Llyranor

Gears1 was my GOTY 2006 and completely justified with the 360 purchase for me. Gears2 has far FAR exceeded all my expectations. I'm not too far into the campaign (ending Act 2), but it's been very nice (and gorgeous - I think this may be the prettiest next-gen game I've seen). One downside is that it seems a tad easy on hardcore. Hopefully insane will be a good challenge.

Haven't touched PvP, and don't even know if I'll ever be bothered to. Wingman does seem like an interesting mode, though.

The real highlight of the game has been Horde Mode. This has arguably provided some of best (if not *the* best) co-op experience I've ever had. Given how much importance I attribute to co-op play (a top priority for me), this pleases me greatly. Even on hardcore, our team has only made it to wave 27 so far (it really depends on the map as well, it seems - though we've only played a few). It's very hectic, as you get overwhelmed by large numbers of enemies from every direction. Defending different flanks, going for ammo runs, falling back and bringing our mobile defenses with us (shields, proximity grenades), finding good defensive positions. It's all so very awesome. I also appreciate how every map really dictates different tactics, given the defensive properties of the terrain. With this mode, I'll definitely be supporting any map pack Epic gives us.

In any other given year, this would have *easily* been my GOTY. However, given how fantastic the Left4Dead demo was, I'll give that game a good spin first before I make any decision (if any).

This may be my favorite co-op game ever. By extension, possibly my favorite game ever. It may be the new game shine talking, but Epic really went above and beyond what I expected of them.

/hyperbole

Teknoman

Black_Ice said:
Yeah. If they're close to you and have the lancer out you may as well consider yourself fucked.

And if you have the shotgun then 75% of the time the shotgun does NOT stun the chainsaw at all. There have been multiple occasions where I've AIMED (Like most people, I usually shoot from the hip with the shotty) at someone with the chainsaw revved and they run straight through it.

And chainsaw duels? Forget about it. 80% of the chainsaw duels I've seen/been in are never finished but interrupted, and you're a sitting duck.

Also, the shotty is more balanced but I think it is a bit underpowered for close range.

Hammerburst has more stopping power than the shotgun it seems.

KevinRo

I love the hammerburst, it is sooo fucking awesome. The lancer is only good because of the chainsaw and stupid shit that happens online. Playing offline, the hammerburst + chainsaw is all i need.

Am I the only one who can't seem to join competitive games whatsoever? Horde takes a looong time, but competetive doesn't seem to ever happen. Keeps looking for teammates and then a remote host restarts it, whatever that means. Got an open Nat and a couple of friends are having similar problems.

Yeah, the matchmaking is pretty much broken. Especially being Australian - It's practically impossible to get into a match with other Australians.

Shins

Banned
Flunkie said:
9471844317E0FDBF6580.jpg
AHHHHHH BLOODMOUNTS

needs video of my dashing escape attempts

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Finished it last night... Amazing game. Fuck the people complaining about the ending. Do people bitch about the ending to Empire Strikes Back?

In terms of the ending, am I the only one who finds it obvious that
the legacy thats unexpected is the fact that now imulsions connected to the ocean so a whole bunch of stuffs going to go lambent as a result?

And yeah, its driving me nuts how I can't play unless I set up private matches with my friends list.

See

Router said:
Finished it last night... Amazing game. Fuck the people complaining about the ending. Do people bitch about the ending to Empire Strikes Back?

Damnit, now I think I know whats going to happen :(

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Gridlock looks like shit now.

And canals... WTF? Who the fuck had the awesome idea of shitting on such a beautiful map by making it a big fucking igloo? Games are supposed to look better in the sequels not the other way around.

Router said:
get a brain...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
godhandiscen said:
Gridlock looks like shit now.

And canals... WTF? Who the fuck had the awesome idea of shitting on such a beautiful map by making it a big fucking igloo? Games are supposed to look better in the sequels not the other way around.
I've yet to play Gridlock, but as far as Canals goes, I agree. It looks substantially worse now, you can't see all the awesome detail and lighting that was in the original.

godhandiscen

Rez>You said:
I've yet to play Gridlock, but as far as Canals goes, I agree. It looks substantially worse now, you can't see all the awesome detail and lighting that was in the original.
Exactly. Something is definitely wrong with the art team at Epic. It is as if they said. "we have peaked boys, we cannot do better" and decided to shit on their beautiful masterpieces all of a sudden. And no, it is not me just being used to the old look. The walls look "untextured" and it takes a really good look to notice that it is actually fucking ice. It looks so bad that I was waiting for the textures to load. If something is not broken, do not try to fix it.

godhandiscen

Teknoman said:
Eh...everything looks better to me. But im one of those guys who thinks certain games in 480p on the Wii look great.
Really? Are you telling me the new canals looks better than the old canals? Are you telling me that a map that used to be the best looking MP map ever is now thrumped by that ice castle?
dralla said:
I beat the last boss in 10 seconds, is that normal?
The last boss of the first one could take 30 minutes to beat. I say why not just go for 10?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
dralla said:
I beat the last boss in 10 seconds, is that normal?
That's the EXACT same thought that went through my mind. lol
I think that the whole last stage was the set piece compared to the last "boss" which was a complete utter cake-walk.

Just finished the game on Hardcore in co-op, completely blew me away. This game is just so much better than the first one in every single aspect.

I completely lost it during Cole's speech

Also, how did you guys interpret the sequence after the credits rolled over?

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Black_Ice said:

I agree with everything you said, I hoping Epic patches the game but I wouldn't count on it. Also, there was nothing wrong with Shotgun in Gears 1, the problem was not being able to stop people from rushing up to you.

Teknoman

godhandiscen said:
Really? Are you telling me the new canals looks better than the old canals? Are you telling me that a map that used to be the best looking MP map ever is now thrumped by that ice castle?

The last boss of the first one could take 30 minutes to beat. I say why not just go for 10?

Well I havent seen canals yet, but everything else looks fine to me. I'll throw up an offline game or something to check out canals.

Gears of War 2 and Resident Evil 5 were two games where I was on a media blackout, don't wanna see any videos, screens, info....whatever....it's really doesn't matter to me cuz more of the same is exactly what I want!

Anyways Gears of War 2.....HUGE SUCCESS imo! Has met all expectations and succedded them for me. Started playing co-op with a mate on hardcore on the w/e. Got upto the last stage on Act 3 so we basically got about 2/5 of the game still left. Didn't try multiplayer or horde but I don't play multiplayer games at all so that won't be an issue. Horde should be good fun though.

Anyways just wanted to say thanks to Epic cuz Gears of War 2 absolutely rocks!

The graphics are the best i've seen this gen (yea I know i said that for Dead Space but gears shits all over it for visuals), Crysis, Farcry 2....whatever imo Gears of War 2 looks the best. That COG facility....WOW....just WOW....in and outside....WOWOWOOWOWOWOW!!! Arrggghh! Funnily enough there were parts in that level where I hope Resident Evil 5 looks as good. It'll be a tough to beat it imo even for a AAA game 4-5 months away.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Rez>You said:
YOU'VE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!! :lol

It only takes a grand total of two hits from the Nemasyists in "Rolling Thunder" on Insane to destroy Betty. Grr.

thats the section I'm at now (and promptly turned the game off after being stuck there for an hour) and I have managed to shoot down the volleys, but no matter how much bullets I pump into the flying reaver it always kills me....fucking stupid.

Teknoman

Ok so Gears 2 frozen canals does look worse than the original watery canals. Kinda wish they would have made it a mixture of water, ice, and snow.

But everything else I like.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In hindsight I can't believe Epic spoilt the final traditional gameplay moment at E3. It DOES show all the enemy types and visual awesomeness of the game in one neat little segment, but it makes the section a little less climatic then it would have otherwise been.

Teknoman said:
Ok so Gears 2 frozen canals does look worse than the original watery canals. Kinda wish they would have made it a mixture of water, ice, and snow.

But everything else I like.
Yeah, I agree.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is the Hammer of Dawn the 15th and final weapon to kill an enemy with?

Further in the campaign. The driving bit was pretty lame but the rest of the game has been great. I like how the achievements are obtainable in all modes, should cut down on the rampant stupidity you see a lot of the time with online only achievements.

What the hell are the sires supposed to be? I didn't pay much attention to the plot in the first game. That whole sequence seemed like it was supposed to be some type of plot delivery but most of it didn't register with me.

raYne

Just finished off the campaign a few mins ago and I'll pretty much echo whats been said many times:

The game starts off slow (intro mission, can't fault that too much), but then it's full speed ahead. It goes from zero to "holy fuck" real fast and more or less keeps it going with very few times being throttled back. When you think there's no possible way it could get better, it somehow does. Challenge-wise, gameplay, visuals (God damn the visuals in the latter levels? <3), the story, everything.

The only things that really could've been better is the boss fights. I didn't want Raam on Insane 2.0 all the time, but they could've been fleshed out a bit more and made more challenging overall.

Now time for Co-op, Horde and MP. :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
ezekial45 said:
WTF! I have the achievement "A dish best served cold", but RAMM is still locked. I already beat the game also.
Are you connected to Live? Even if you have silver, I think you need to be connected to Live for it to unlock.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
ezekial45 said:
WTF! I have the achievement "A dish best served cold", but RAMM is still locked. I already beat the game also.

Does it work from the save file of the previous game instead of the actual achievement on the account? The RAAM skin was unlocked for me before I even started the single player.

Shins

Banned
Teknoman said:
While I think they could've done a better job of defining the texture on the ice (sometimes I think its just textures not loaded), as a concept, I like the peaceful state of everything on the map. Hail gives your tumultuous precipitation. Canals is much more serene, which is an oddly neat backdrop for a deathmatch. :p

Enjoy the new renditions for all the flashback maps, actually. Everything just feels so aged.

Top Bottom