• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

The multiplayer, at least public matches, take waaayyyy too long to get going and already I've played a match or two where dropping has been an issue. It's Gears 1 all over again.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
ezekial45 said:
Oh, alright. :lol

I've only played through the single player campaign so far.
Yup, no prob...try that and let me know if it doesn't work cause it should.
I did the same thing, cause usually I'll switch the ethernet cable from my 360 to PS3 and vice versa. Completed SP campaign first, connected ethernet cable to 360 to hop online and noticed that RAAM and another thing was unlocked.

jaundicejuice said:
The multiplayer, at least public matches, take waaayyyy too long to get going and already I've played a match or two where dropping has been an issue. It's Gears 1 all over again.
This is my biggest concern with the game right now. The SP campaign was freaking ace (minus last "boss"). Online needs fixing imo and I'm sure that EPIC is already working on it.

LCfiner

Damn, this game is so awesome. Much better campaign than the first (which I really liked) with more variety, huge setpieces and lots of shifts in location.

I finished the campaign with a buddy, doing the whole thing in co-op over 3 nights and we both loved it.

Like the best shooters, it gives you multiple options to confront the huge enemy numbers. You and your team can take up different positions, start flanking, use heavy weapons. so many options. Big battles can really be played differently since you can all move around. This is just a gut reaction but I think this is the biggest improvement over the first Gears.

We also played some Horde last night. 2 players on Normal. We lasted till wave 8 on Avalanche but kept getting decimated at that point. Horde is so addictive. I need to get back on that stat but with more people.

Between this, Fallout 3 and LBP, I am booked full till new years. And I still have to start up Fable 2. My God. It's full of stars.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've come to the conclusion that I prefer server lists. I like being able to see the exact game specifications and, more importantly, the ping. It takes a solid 5 minutes to get me into a game usually, only to have it be laggy as fuck.

I understand that matchmaking is more noob friendly and encourages players to try out different game modes, but I wish we had, at the very least, an option to pick from a server list.

Okay I'm having trouble at the end of the Hive
I'm escaping Nexus on the back of a Rever with Skore and his super Rever thing following me. I always die on the third wave of the machine gun because I can't hit the missiles he sends at me... is that the key to hit the middle missle? If so that fucking sucks and this part of the game is seriously broken. Any tips would be appreciated

LCfiner

UltimaPooh said:
I'm escaping Nexus on the back of a Rever with Skore and his super Rever thing following me. I always die on the third wave of the machine gun because I can't hit the missiles he sends at me... is that the key to hit the middle missle? If so that fucking sucks and this part of the game is seriously broken. Any tips would be appreciated

you need to
dodge the missiles with the left stick. I would get by a couple but could usually dodge enough to get to the next wave

dk_

Rez>You said:
I've come to the conclusion that I prefer server lists. I like being able to see the exact game specifications and, more importantly, the ping. It takes a solid 5 minutes to get me into a game usually, only to have it be laggy as fuck.

I understand that matchmaking is more noob friendly and encourages players to try out different game modes, but I wish we had, at the very least, an option to pick from a server list.

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
While I think they could've done a better job of defining the texture on the ice (sometimes I think its just textures not loaded), as a concept, I like the peaceful state of everything on the map. Hail gives your tumultuous precipitation. Canals is much more serene, which is an oddly neat backdrop for a deathmatch. :p

Enjoy the new renditions for all the flashback maps, actually. Everything just feels so aged.
That's the same reason I like Canals so much more this time, just because of that calm feeling it has to it. I think the Flashback maps all are better than their older versions, but I do think that Gridlock went overboard with the green shit being everywhere.

As for the new maps, I have a lot of favorites this time, Jacinto feels like the new "Gridlock" of Gears 2 and you gotta love that, Blood Drive is probably the best map IMO, River and Avalanche are tied for a close second, and I'm loving Ruins too. Everything about Gears 2 is so much better than Gears 1.:D

Rez>You said:

I've grown to accept match making, at least Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4's because they're generally fast and have you playing a match in under a minute. Gears piss poor online set-up for public matches is what holds it back from being as great as a game like Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare in my opinion.

The problem with public matches would be alieviated somewhat if you didn't have to constantly restart the lengthy process of finding people to play with after every successful game you play. You should just select the mode of play you want and then play through a rotation of maps in a persistent game. People should be able to join mid-match as a spectator and then get assigned to the team they're needed on. There should be an auto-team balance between matches to make up for dropped players that evens out the teams even if players in one team are in a party.

It should not take minutes to find people to play with and get a game started. That's simply ridiculous and I find it hard to believe that Epic is having any sort of difficulty in this area. The first Gears was excuseable, I guess, but this is kind of ridiculous in a sequel. There are examples of how online match making should be done, they should already know what does and doesn't work. At least the latency seems to be better in the few matches I've played compared to the first Gears.

Aladuf

Banned
Flunkie said:
9471844317E0FDBF6580.jpg
That attempt was so fucking hard, the part that always impresses me when we're playing on a high level like that, is that despite there being about 11 massive enemies in one spot all shooting at the five of us inside our tiny barricade, there is never a single dip in framerate or any lag or whatsoever.

Aladuf

Banned
Matchmaking was quick as hell for the few of us playing together tonight, especially when me and Third were playing Wingman, it literally took about 5 seconds tops to be in a match every time.

I'm about half way through the campaign (playing parallel solo and co-op games - about the same point in each), and the game is simply ri-diculous. From the graphics to the dialogue, everything is oversized and bordering the absurd... in a good way... mostly. Once I put away the part of my brain that usually only likes to watch Oscar caliber movies, I started having a great time. Seriously, best looking game of '08. EASILY.

I'll probably get into Horde, but I really doubt I'll invest much time in the competitive multiplayer. I wasn't much good at Gears 1, and I could never really get into the third person perspective. It's fine for campaign, but I find multiplayer more stressful and it never worked for me.

wenis said:
thats the section I'm at now (and promptly turned the game off after being stuck there for an hour) and I have managed to shoot down the volleys, but no matter how much bullets I pump into the flying reaver it always kills me....fucking stupid.
I'm stuck here too on insane and just quit after trying for 1 hour. I've tried just pumping the reaver with all the ammo but it won't die before it hits me 3 times, I've tried shooting off both horde on it first then shooting it but it still won't fucking die.

subrock

alexh said:
Then we see the decrepid, broken person that is Maria left, and Dom has to euthenise her like some kind of animal. I guess I don't see what the purpose of that substory was.. you find her.. alive.. but fucked up.. and then you kill her?
I still think he should have chainsawed her

Played my first matchmaking games, both Horde and normal multiplayer.

Got matched in ~1 minute. Western USA. Seems they're making progress?

Finished the campaign too, holy shit at the last act. Everything is so much more epic than Gears 1, I start wondering "is this the same fucking console?" Even as a life-long PC gamer, this is still very impressive, especially give that the 360's had several years for PC's to surpass it.

How did Epic do such a big step up in such a short time?

alexh said:
One part in the campaign that was really strange was when we finally find Maria.

If Tai, the biggest baddest Cog to walk the planet would commit suicide after what the Locust did to him, Maria would want it too. Dom loved her so much that he didn't want her to live in that kind of pain and there wasn't much else he could do. If he were to take her with him she wouldn't live and he wasn't just going to leave her there. Tai also had the treatment for possibly a few hours, Maria had to have been there for weeks.

And Marcus's dad's dialog could mean two things, first is the obvious why did you sink the city, the second is what have you done experimenting on people to create the locust angle. It could simply be a very old transmission.

As far as the insta kill from the corpser, its because you fired into its claws and the blow back of the shell killed you. You of course waited till its hands opened up to kill it.

Played Horde with friends, last night. Got to 50 on Hardcore and completed it. Not too bad. I was expecting an achievement, though.

To be honest, I feel that the multiplayer in this is pretty weak. Which kind of sucks, considering I just came from the awesome campaign. (No pun intended.)

I'm probably going to clock more hours in the campaign than the multiplayer.

Doodis

Gotta echo everyone else's sentiments about horde. I wasn't too interested in the mode before playing it, but after a healthy dose this evening, I'm converted. I told myself I'd finish campaign first before any multiplayer but I keep getting sucked in.

How awesome? So awesome.

AndersTheSwede said:
How did Epic do such a big step up in such a short time?

My guess...After Gears 1 came out lots of talented people in the industry wanted to work for them. They increased the size of the Gears team got a good game design going, had lots of assets from the first game to use and prototype with, figured out the most efficient way to build models quickly, Focused solely on the 360, and they work in the building where UE3 is created.

Still not a simple task but few companies in gaming can do what Epic did.

What I am most impressed with is how they fit it on a single DVD. I remember hearing that Gears 1 filled a disk or thereabouts but that info may be BS.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
scorpian007 said:
Just finished the game on Hardcore in co-op, completely blew me away. This game is just so much better than the first one in every single aspect.

I completely lost it during Cole's speech

Also, how did you guys interpret the sequence after the credits rolled over?

Yeah, that's confusing me, too.

First he says it's good to sink Jacinto as a way to help, now he tells us "What have you done? D:". Make up your mind, old man.

Warm Machine said:
My guess...After Gears 1 came out lots of talented people in the industry wanted to work for them. They increased the size of the Gears team got a good game design going, had lots of assets from the first game to use and prototype with, figured out the most efficient way to build models quickly, Focused solely on the 360, and they work in the building where UE3 is created.

Still not a simple task but few companies in gaming can do what Epic did.

What I am most impressed with is how they fit it on a single DVD. I remember hearing that Gears 1 filled a disk or thereabouts but that info may be BS.

One thing that really stood out to me was the increase in both texture quality and mass. They must have developed some crazy compression to fit the kinds of scenes that they have into unified memory.
Sometimes you can see the system cutting corners with background stuff, but with motion blur, depth of field, and the sheer explosiveness of the gameplay you only notice the awesome (something that doesn't come through in the screens).

29avfw8.png

I laughed at this ad because it uses DOOM monsters painted green with the plasma gun, pasted over a Halo 3 screenshot. :lol Gears of DOOM would be an awesome crossover.

I'm blown away by Gears 2. They just about fixed every problem I had with the first game. I am so glad that a teammate in single player can revive you. I've found that Dom will almost always be the first guy to revive you when the rest of the squad is around you. I liked the first Gears, but I know I'm going to playing Gears 2 much more.

StoOgE said:
So far two sequences I don't like surrounded by a lot of awesome.

Also, where the FUCK ARE MY KRILL, THERON GUARDS and BESERKERS?!?

They better make it somewhere in these last 3 chapters. I guess the Razor hail works similar to the Krill, but I want them back. They better be in the game.

The lightmass bomb from the frist game kills all the Kryll

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
There's so much I want answered:

Why is the Locust queen a human?

What was that Sire factory for? Humans mutated with Imulsion to fight the Locust?

Are the Locust "created" by normal creatures/humans coming in contact with Imulsion?

Are the Lambent Locust good or bad? Why were they fighting regular Locusts?

The Locust queen mentioned at the end of Gears 1 that "they do not know why we wage this war" and we still don't know why ...Why?

Can't wait for Gears of War 3 and/or any campaign DLC for Gears of War 2. Mr. Josh Ortega has created something so massive; he's really opened up this universe in ways I could not fathom. I love it.

Sectus

Rez>You said:

They should have done that with "private" games. Public could work as it does now (although it would have been nice to not wait 5-10 minutes to get into a server...), but since private lets you customize everything they could have just included an old-school server browser for that mode.

On the bright side, there's no player/ranked match split anymore. That could have made matchmaking even slower.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Domino Theory said:
There's so much I want answered:
Why is the Locust queen a human?
What was that Sire factory for? Humans mutated with Imulsion to fight the Locust?
Are the Locust "created" by normal creatures/humans coming in contact with Imulsion?
Are the Lambent Locust good or bad? Why were they fighting regular Locusts?
The Locust queen mentioned at the end of Gears 1 that "they do not know why we wage this war" and we still don't know why ...Why?

Human/Locust hybrid probably.
Humans experimenting on the locust. Seems like a weapons program.
Locust seem to have been underground for thousands of years. Most likley evolved on their own until further human intervention?
Locust don't see the Lambert as being pure.
Cliffy is a cock tease. That's why.

Woo-Fu

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
I'm stuck here too on insane and just quit after trying for 1 hour. I've tried just pumping the reaver with all the ammo but it won't die before it hits me 3 times, I've tried shooting off both horde on it first then shooting it but it still won't fucking die.

Going to have to co-op most of Gears 2 on insanity instead of just the last fight like Gears 1.

As far as the Reaver goes I would not be shocked to find out it has a weak spot that would let you take it down on insanity with the turret by yourself. Without something like that you'll need a real player on the turret and a real player unloading lancer fire.

The mortars right before that were a pain in the rear too, particularly since there isn't a checkpoint between the two encounters.

LowParry

UltimaPooh said:

Aim for the legs. :D

Did anyone else notice how they are doing pop in differently this time around? The game seems to do a sort gradual transition now with the visuals so it doesn't actually pop in anymore.

Big-E

I am starting to get pissed off with the squad AI on Insane. I have only gotten up to halfway through the second Act but Tai and Carmine tend to go in and rush the Locust and die which causes or my partner to go after them and revive them before a game over. Starting to get really frustrating because I am not the one dying. Its like idiot Dom versus the Beserkers again.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Granted, I haven't played a ton of multiplayer yet - probably about ~8 matchmade games, and ~12 private games, but I can't be the only one that has NO complaints, can I?

The shotgun nerf doesn't bother me, because I was always of the opinion that an active-reload lancer was deadlier. I also doesn't have a problem with the matchmaking system... I like that it gives you a choice for mode and map. I haven't have a problem getting into games besides launch night.

I also enjoy the new maps and new weapons. Many of the new maps feel *slightly* cramped, but that's a minor complaint. And some of the new maps (BLOOD DRIVE) are just perfect.

*shrug*

All in all, I have no compaints regarding the multiplayer. To me, it's improved in every regard.

Tieno

Big-E said:
I am starting to get pissed off with the squad AI on Insane. I have only gotten up to halfway through the second Act but Tai and Carmine tend to go in and rush the Locust and die which causes or my partner to go after them and revive them before a game over. Starting to get really frustrating because I am not the one dying. Its like idiot Dom versus the Beserkers again.
Can't you leave them there till the fight is over like in Gears 1?

RPS37

TDG said:
Boomers are so cute. The way they say "Boom," when they fire, I just want to give them a hug. <3

Yeah, and Grinders say "Grind!" when they shoot and it totally makes way less sense.
It's like baby talk, yet that does not at all sound like something you'd hear come out of a baby's mouth.
My mind is boggled.

RPS37 said:
Yeah, and Grinders say "Grind!" when they shoot and it totally makes way less sense.
It's like baby talk, yet that does not at all sound like something you'd hear come out of a baby's mouth.
My mind is boggled.
Well to be honest they really don't look smart to me. They really are like big locust babies :D

Mohonky

I've had enough of the fucking lag. For fuck sake developers need to start giving us the option of local searches, this is fucking ridiculous, there are no excuses for not having this shit, it complete fucking ruins the multiplayer not having it.

mernst23

So, i was in a horde match today and got disconnected from host at wave 24 in normal, that sucked. I had 139 kills and survived all rounds in that pug. I freaking love this game except for the smoke grenade knockback, chainsaw ridiculousness, and the matchmaking taking forever. I really hope they fix all three of those things soon.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Router said:
Humans experimenting on the locust. Seems like a weapons program.
Thats not true, if you pick up one of the files in that place
it says a 15 year old HUMAN girl is a test subject, and that her nails are growing at an accelerated rate. It also mentions some other stuff, but it was pretty obvious the humans were being turned into locust-like creatures.

Domino Theory said:
Yeah, that's confusing me, too.

First he says it's good to sink Jacinto as a way to help, now he tells us "What have you done? D:". Make up your mind, old man.

My instant reaction was that the original transmission where he tells them to sink Jacinto was made up by the Locust as a ploy to let the humans lose their last city.

Or who knows
:lol

Sectus

Lesson for today... I should never try to tag anyone with grenades anymore.

I thought there were absolutely no friendly fire in the game, but there seems to be a few exceptions. I was playing in a submission match and I had a frag grenade equipped. My team were trying to get the flag downed so we can grab him, so I figured I could just nade tag him to get him down faster... boom! And our whole team died.

I got to the
"horsey"
part and died a couple of times because I didn't know how control it, didn't realize that
the Reaver goes in the direction you want it to, you don't have to steer at all.

It was awesome.
<3 Gears of War 2.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Sorry for ignoring some game invites yesterday, I'm still catching up to people and working my way through the campaign so staving off multiplayer for abit.

A few games I couldn't join. Beamber - couldn't get into your game when you invited me, dunno if it filled up too fast or what, also can never join Sanjuro's games even if there's a join game icon next to his game :S

Will definitely be playing the hell out of MP in future though.

Once I finish the game in hardcore, will probably be on the lookout for a co-op partner to play it through on insane.

Shoogoo

kaizoku said:
A few games I couldn't join. Beamber - couldn't get into your game when you invited me, dunno if it filled up too fast or what, also can never join Sanjuro's games even if there's a join game icon next to his game :S

I have the same issue with W11kate, I can't join his game and he can't join mine although we're both NAT open. I guess the fact that some people are "incompatible" with others is one of the reason matchmaking takes so much time.

Brakara

daw840 said:
People keep saying that Gears 3 won't be out until the next Xbox. IIRC, I remember watching a video with some important people in the gaming industry saying that the next gen won't come out for another 4-5 years? That seems like a long time to wait to release Gears 3.

I'll be flabbergasted if the next Gears isn't out in November 2010 for the 360. Not sure how they're going to top this one, but I'm sure as hell looking forward to finding out.

angelfly

I just finished the game this morning and as someone who didn't like the first one I thought the whole experience of this one was fantastic. My favorite part was
the decommissioned COG base. The atmosphere of it added a lot to the feeling. Fighting the hydra while riding the reaver also had me breathing hard
. This game really surprised me throughout. Going to start my second playthrough today.

Chinner

Banned
Shoogoo said:
I have the same issue with W11kate, I can't join his game and he can't join mine although we're both NAT open. I guess the fact that some people are "incompatible" with others is one of the reason matchmaking takes so much time.
Theres prety much a reason for this. What the dashboard classes as a open nat isnt really open. Halo 3 has always complained about it to me and so did Gears 2. The first few games I actually tried to get of Gears 2 just took sooo looong and were so laggy.

I had enough. Luckily due to portforwading I knew all of my I.P and DNS details, so I went into the dashboard, went to the DNS section and swapped it from automatic to manual and entered in the correct details. The message has stopped appearing on Gears 2 (so far) and the few games I have played had loaded quickly and didnt suffer from any lag. This isn't touch wood yet, but I'm just gonna test H3 and G2 to see if the nat messages come up and play a few games of Gears 2 to see how it goes.

Top Bottom