• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

You basically have to mute everyone through the dashboard which is a total pain in the ass. How can you not have a built in mute system like Halo at this point?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Lostconfused said:
Wow, centaur level, tower. Absolutely retarded, shitiest part of the game yet.

Yes. Absolute shit. Worse than the vehicle level in Gears 1. But... the good news is the best parts of the game are right around the corner...

ShinAmano

CaptainStrong said:
You basically have to mute everyone through the dashboard which is a total pain in the ass. How can you not have a built in mute system like Halo at this point?
Such a pain in the ass. I love horde, but when my team (of me and two others) went to multiplayer we were matched up 3 times in a row against and with nothing but Spanish speaking people...who were VERY chatty...drove me insane not being able to communicate with everyone, but not being able to talk over the other teammates to relay info to people who could use it was horrible.

Darklord

Banned
Just finished the single player. Great game, I can't wait for the next one.

It never answered one thing though,
Who the hell were those mutant locusts? The ones from that secret base, they were called sires or something.

Now I just hope they fix multiplayer. It's near unplayable for me at the moment.

Acidote

ShinAmano said:
Such a pain in the ass. I love horde, but when my team (of me and two others) went to multiplayer we were matched up 3 times in a row against and with nothing but Spanish speaking people...who were VERY chatty...drove me insane not being able to communicate with everyone, but not being able to talk over the other teammates to relay info to people who could use it was horrible.

There should be a quick mute option. Yesterday I had the same problem as you but switching languages, we were 3 Spanish speaking players and 2 English speaking kids (with their annoying kid voices) joined our team. We all had to mute them one by one (at least it's not a game with 8 players a team) because it's not like they were simply talking as usual, they were non-stop screaming. So annoying.

I completed it yesterday and found it to be much better than the first solely due to the amazing set-pieces.
However I thought the last boss was a little lacklustre, the visuals were spectacular but it had very little substance. Whilst the other bosses were pattern based they had more to them than just holding the hammer on a target which I felt made the final boss feel a little less epic. Still it was a great game, I especially loved what happened when Marcus and Dom were contemplating whether to take the rickety boat over the loch.

Darklord said:
It never answered one thing though,
Who the hell were those mutant locusts? The ones from that secret base, they were called sires or something.

They were probably humans that were being experimented on in that facility

ShinAmano

Acidote said:
There should be a quick mute option. Yesterday I had the same problem as you but switching languages, we were 3 Spanish speaking players and 2 English speaking kids (with their annoying kid voices) joined our team. We all had to mute them one by one (at least it's not a game with 8 players a team) because it's not like they were simply talking as usual, they were non-stop screaming. So annoying.
Honestly...they need an option added stat or I will be staying well clear of multiplayer. Annoying people are annoying :lol

RSTEIN

_dementia said:
lol I can never win chainsaw duels online.

:lol At first I was skeptical about the whole button mashing thing but I've grown to love it. It brings back a lot of old school gaming memories.

RSTEIN said:
Yes. Absolute shit. Worse than the vehicle level in Gears 1. But... the good news is the best parts of the game are right around the corner...

Man, am I the only one that had absolutely no problems with this level? Played through on Hardcore and only died maybe two or three times driving it, and at least one of those was at the
corpsers
and the other was due to pure stupidity on my part in driving off a cliff.

RSTEIN said:
:lol At first I was skeptical about the whole button mashing thing but I've grown to love it. It brings back a lot of old school gaming memories.
I swear to God every one these motherfuckers have turbo controllers.
What ever I got the achievement now it's back to HB as my default.

Darklord

Banned
RSTEIN said:
How so? Lag issues?

Takes about 10-30 minutes to get into a game with people from overseas giving me huge lag. I think I've had 2 fairly lag free games so far and that's it.

Why the hell did they remove the server select option?

Lostconfused said:
They were probably humans that were being experimented on in that facility

I'm assuming they were the first wave of locust man created which led way to the creation of the superior breed you see today (i.e. ones that don't run into your chainsaws) hence the name sires. I don't think they'd just go the standard Dero ancient subterranean monster rout.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Beaulieu said:
The furtest I reached is wave 20 on normal

I can't imagine it on hardcore or insane, I was doing normal as well.

_dementia said:
Horde doesn't scale according to the number of players does it?

I was having a hard time with only 2 allies.

didn't seem like it, every tenth level is difficult, but 50 is just stupid.

RSTEIN

forgeforsaken said:
Man, am I the only one that had absolutely no problems with this level? Played through on Hardcore and only died maybe two or three times driving it, and at least one of those was at the
corpsers

I didn't have any problems with the level itself (except the
ice, I fell through a couple times
). I found the controls horrendous. Like, seriously. My tank got stuck repeatedly. I went up a ramp, was slightly off, and my tank got stuck UNDER the ramp. I couldn't back up or get out. I hit a couple trees, couldn't back up, and died. Then, worst of all, at the final battle
after I killed the three spiders
, I couldn't move because my tank got stuck in their dead bodies!

forgeforsaken said:
corpsers

Yeah, you are special.

Chinner

Banned
not sure if anyone has bothered to watch the LE yet, but im just wathcing the character design for Marcus and its really good. Very detailed and has some good comparison shots of Marcus from Gears 1 and 2.

This game is hella cenematic. I thought we were trying to get away from cut scenes? Gears 2 is way more cut scene intensive than the first one. :lol I thought Cliffy said he didn't make games like MGS?

I love cut scenes so no complaining here, but the action is broken up quite a bit by them. I'm surprised that the "proposition NO cut scene" supporters aren't up in arms over this.

Shoogoo

Chinner said:
Theres prety much a reason for this. What the dashboard classes as a open nat isnt really open. Halo 3 has always complained about it to me and so did Gears 2. The first few games I actually tried to get of Gears 2 just took sooo looong and were so laggy.

I had enough. Luckily due to portforwading I knew all of my I.P and DNS details, so I went into the dashboard, went to the DNS section and swapped it from automatic to manual and entered in the correct details. The message has stopped appearing on Gears 2 (so far) and the few games I have played had loaded quickly and didnt suffer from any lag. This isn't touch wood yet, but I'm just gonna test H3 and G2 to see if the nat messages come up and play a few games of Gears 2 to see how it goes.

Thanks for the infos, but which "nat messages" are you talking about?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Chinner said:
not sure if anyone has bothered to watch the LE yet, but im just wathcing the character design for Marcus and its really good. Very detailed and has some good comparison shots of Marcus from Gears 1 and 2.

I just watched the documentary and some of the progression art galleries and yeah it's pretty interesting stuff. I'm so glad we have the current Marcus face. The earlier one really seems off.

the best part of the doc was seeing Speight deliver the Cole mic rant :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
speaking of bugs - I came across a gamebreaking one as I was playing co-op, I think its the end of Act 2, if you're playing co-op approaching this bit, might be worth reading so you avoid this problem.

Inside the worm, after you cut the arteries on the 1st giant heart, in the second heart chamber I had explored some little area to the right and my co-op partner had run ahead and cut the arteries. As I was running to catch up with him the room filled with blood and I drowned and we had to reload the last checkpoint.

But he had managed to get to the checkpoint after that section, so it reloaded in the same state. Every reload would involve me drowing instantly, had no way out whatsoever.

Had to restart the whole chapter. Sucks.

edit - is there some easy way to see which chapter/act you're on?

Sometimes I wanna stop playing but I don't know if I'm at the end or beginning of a chapter and don't wanna do a whole chapter again. Wish this was more clearly labelled.

awesome game. I agree with the above posters about the final boss:

spoiler:
was disappointing. I wanted another round with Scorn, on foot, and hard as hell. try again and again at least 10 times type of fight. just holding the hammer of dawn on the final boss for a minute without any real danger was a real let down... my only real complaint from campaign mode

horde mode is AWESOME. it got real frustrating real fast (played on hardcore, 2 players). I'd say this mode is harder than the story mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think I can understand why there has been such a divide in opinions on the scenery of this game. I think both Gears titles do an incredible job with presenting their chosen environment and Gears 2 certainly offers a slew of technical improvements to the first game. However, the scenery is extremely different between the two games. Some people are acting as if those of us that prefer the visuals of the original game are crazy need to realize it's just a matter of preference due to the change in direction. I absolutely adore the ruined citiscapes of the original. That type of scenery is among my favorite and I thought Gears did an amazing job with it. Seeing the once majestic structures of that world in shambles was truly one of the best aspects of the original game for me. The sequel focuses very heavily on more organic, underground environments that feel alive. They absolutely nailed the execution of this, but I just don't find that type of environment (no matter how well done) as compelling as the lonely citiscapes of the original game.

Dark Octave said:
This game is hella cenematic. I thought we were trying to get away from cut scenes? Gears 2 is way more cut scene intensive than the first one. :lol I thought Cliffy said he didn't make games like MGS?

I love cut scenes so no complaining here, but the action is broken up quite a bit by them. I'm surprised that the "proposition NO cut scene" supporters aren't up in arms over this.
Ha ha, yeah, I noticed that too. I don't mind the cutscenes either, but during CO-OP, it did become a bit of a drain as they constantly interrupt the action (especially since the guy I was playing with just couldn't stop cracking jokes at the huge armor these guys wear). :p

FFChris said:
Which difficulty mode did you finish it on?

I assume there are different difficulties for Horde?

We played through it on Hardcore. And yeah, there's levels of difficulty. We didn't have Insane unlocked at the time, but now we do. Gonna have to try that again real soon.

I think a lot of the trick to Horde is figuring out which levels are best for making a stand. Gridlock seems like another good one to me. I played through the first 5 waves by myself yesterday on Hardcore. With friends it should be much easier. I hang near the boomshot and ammo cache, plant nades on the left wall and staircase, and grab the sniper once the boom runs out. If you preserve it though, you can keep using it for a long time since the ammo cache gives you one more shot each time.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Dark Octave said:

He always said there would be short cut scenes.

When he mentions MGS, he isn't talking about 2 to 5 min cutscenes, he's talking about 15 - 30 min cutscenes.

Big ass difference. Not even in the the same ballpark.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
levious said:

currently on 48 on hardcore with just three of us

aint no walk on the beach, that's for fucking sure

dark10x said:
Ha ha, yeah, I noticed that too. I don't mind the cutscenes either, but during CO-OP, it did become a bit of a drain as they constantly interrupt the action (especially since the guy I was playing with just couldn't stop cracking jokes at the huge armor these guys wear). :p
:lol I HATE playing single player type games with other people around. Yesterday, my girlfriend was watching me play and she starts cracking up and "ZOMG!" about the extreeme size differences in the character's heads. Then, while I'm in the middle of an intense firefight, she's like "wait, turn around and let me see how they did that waterfall over there!"

Also yeah, I like the city parts a lot more than the cave/underground parts. Both look great, but cities are more interesting to look at.

pr0cs

It's a great game, the thing is, I've had it since launch and STILL not made it past chapter 3, I've replayed the first 3 sections with 4-5 different friends already. I have a 360 and a PS3 and I buy a LOT of games and none of them have that kind of staying power, not Halo3, not Uncharted.
The game looks good and is just a lot of fun to play.

shpankey

not an idiot
godhandiscen said:
Really? Are you telling me the new canals looks better than the old canals? Are you telling me that a map that used to be the best looking MP map ever is now thrumped by that ice castle?

The last boss of the first one could take 30 minutes to beat. I say why not just go for 10?
just out of curiosity (i'm still playing single player) do you happen to have pics of canals from gears 1 and how it looks now? i believe you, as i said, just curious to see the difference.

Beat the campaign and after reading some of the posts here, I'm wondering if they played the same campaign as I did. That was the most beautiful, fun, and insane game I've played all this year.

Hands down GOTY against steep competition.

Brakara

shpankey said:
just out of curiosity (i'm still playing single player) do you happen to have pics of canals from gears 1 and how it looks now? i believe you, as i said, just curious to see the difference.

From Xbox360Fanboy:

27wroud.jpg

15f3gh2.jpg

AndresON777

shooting blanks
_dementia said:
I swear to God every one these motherfuckers have turbo controllers.
What ever I got the achievement now it's back to HB as my default.

haha yeah I was thinking the same thing, I lost so many chainsaw duels this weekend.

Man Skorge was nothing compared to Raam really, I was expecting a lot more but it is nice using him in multiplayer he looks awesome

I dont think I've ever passed a game so fast in my life lol

The game is awesome but I have to comment on the dialogue- atrocious and silly. They completely castrated the game of its hyper-masculine overtones. The menacing soldier language is replaced by WB soft-spoken delivery. What happened? I swear the entire room was laughing at every line.

RSTEIN said:
I didn't have any problems with the level itself (except the
ice, I fell through a couple times
). I found the controls horrendous. Like, seriously. My tank got stuck repeatedly. I went up a ramp, was slightly off, and my tank got stuck UNDER the ramp. I couldn't back up or get out. I hit a couple trees, couldn't back up, and died. Then, worst of all, at the final battle
after I killed the three spiders
, I couldn't move because my tank got stuck in their dead bodies!
I've played the level a handful of times and didn't have really any of the issues you've stated. I can't believe people think it's worse than the Gears 1 vehicle level. I guess they're not remembering how absolutely frustrating and retarded that level was. The Centaur level is awesome in so many ways. If you go off the beaten path it opens up for some interesting exploration and allows you to cut across some of the encounters or get in behind them. The first time I played through it was coop on Hardcore, then I went through Normal by myself and then Insane alone just yesterday. Had an absolute blast every single time.

The vehicle has a steep learning curve, but it is definitely a highlight of the game for me. If you take your time and are strategic, the level offers very little difficulty apart from a few trial and error sequences. My only regret is that there is only one tank. Coop should have allowed two tanks for that portion of the game, rather than have both players occupy the same Centaur. Granted, the vehicle isn't anywhere as smooth as a Warthog, but once I learned how to control it there were no issues whatsoever.
The Corpser and the Brumak portions of that level were some of the best in the game.

Sushen

levious said:

It's important to have a good team play covering each other's ass. Once you split up, you're done in later levels unless you're insanely skilled.

The multiplayer is completely fucked up, and even worse than the first one to me. The matchmaking is absolutely ridiculous and it routinely takes 5-10 minutes to find a game, plus it is completely uneven (finished a match in which it was 5 on 3, with the 3 man team having all lower ranked players. WTF?). Plus, I thought that they said you weren't going to be able to run up on people and shotgun/chainsaw spam? Well that certainly isn't the case, as I have been chainsawed whilst shooting the guy in the face repeatedly, which is bullshit. The range on grenade tags is still ridiculous, and the splash damage on the mortar seems to be just random (I have been killed while standing a good 10 feet away from a blast, but I have also seen players escape unharmed while being only a few feet away).

It's not all bad, as the smoke grenades have been greatly enhanced and they add a great deal of depth to the gameplay. Same goes for planting grenades. I just wish that they would have made a cleaner and more fair online part instead of the random bullshit that is there now.

Chinner

Banned
Mr Vociferous said:
I've played the level a handful of times and didn't have really any of the issues you've stated. I can't believe people think it's worse than the Gears 1 vehicle level. I guess they're not remembering how absolutely frustrating and retarded that level was. The Centaur level is awesome in so many ways. If you go off the beaten path it opens up for some interesting exploration and allows you to cut across some of the encounters or get in behind them. The first time I played through it was coop on Hardcore, then I went through Normal by myself and then Insane alone just yesterday. Had an absolute blast every single time.

The vehicle has a steep learning curve, but it is definitely a highlight of the game for me. If you take your time and are strategic, the level offers very little difficulty apart from a few trial and error sequences. My only regret is that there is only one tank. Coop should have allowed two tanks for that portion of the game, rather than have both players occupy the same Centaur. Granted, the vehicle isn't anywhere as smooth as a Warthog, but once I learned how to control it there were no issues whatsoever.
The Corpser and the Brumak portions of that level were some of the best in the game.
I agree with this. Played it on co op and had a right blast with it. The gears 1 vehicle section was actually pretty shit because you couldn't do anything without stepping other being able to move or shoot. Handeling was pretty crap as well. In Gears 2 though, everything felt more solid and played alot better. It was fun for me!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AlStrong said:
Anyone have thoughts on
Adam Fenix's message at the end of the credits?

yeah me and this dude sat thru the credits cos we knew something would happen. Idk but what's interesting is that the locust queen told Marcus that he chose a different path than his father. So maybe the father was the scientist experimenting with the sires and he's responsible for the locust? idk, but I expected the locust queen to be a monster not a human

lionelhutz

ChrisGoldstein said:
yeah me and this dude sat thru the credits cos we knew something would happen. Idk but what's interesting is that the locust queen told Marcus that he chose a different path than his father. So maybe the father was the scientist experimenting with the sires and he's responsible for the locust? idk, but I expected the locust queen to be a monster not a human

That was my thinking too. There isn't any closure on that entire section.

Top Bottom