• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Mr Vociferous said:
I've played the level a handful of times and didn't have really any of the issues you've stated

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I really hated the Centaur sequence. Maybe on my second playthrough I'll learn to love it. It just really rubbed me the wrong way... I don't know. Here I am, enjoying this awesome game, and they decided to break up the fun and give me a tank that is hard to handle, gets stuck numerous times, and throw me on a level that's frustrating to navigate. It just felt like one big chore and took me out of the rhythm of the game. I actually liked the
completely dark tunnel
part... some of the most tense moments of the game!

I loved the Mass Effect vehicle (can't remember what it's called)... and a lot of people hated that thing... go figure :lol

zaidr

Union Carbine said:
I had a really hard time getting into any Horde games over the weekend? Is there an issue with the matchmaking or was it connectivity on my end?

Public horde matches where it has to find all members doesn't work very well / takes too long. Weirdly, if you are letting the system look for all you members instead of being already in a party of 3 or 4 looking for 1 or 2 more people, it works better / faster. I say just build up a large friends list of people playing Gears2. Start by adding me! GT: Shihab

zaidr

Kestastrophe said:
The multiplayer is completely fucked up, and even worse than the first one to me. The matchmaking is absolutely ridiculous and it routinely takes 5-10 minutes to find a game, plus it is completely uneven (finished a match in which it was 5 on 3, with the 3 man team having all lower ranked players. WTF?). Plus, I thought that they said you weren't going to be able to run up on people and shotgun/chainsaw spam? Well that certainly isn't the case, as I have been chainsawed whilst shooting the guy in the face repeatedly, which is bullshit. The range on grenade tags is still ridiculous, and the splash damage on the mortar seems to be just random (I have been killed while standing a good 10 feet away from a blast, but I have also seen players escape unharmed while being only a few feet away).

It's not all bad, as the smoke grenades have been greatly enhanced and they add a great deal of depth to the gameplay. Same goes for planting grenades. I just wish that they would have made a cleaner and more fair online part instead of the random bullshit that is there now.

I agree that the chainsaws have to get fixed. Its just too easy to run up to someone and chainsaw them. Why did they take away that thing from the last game where if you were being fired upon, you couldn't start revving your chainsaw? It needs to be easier to lower someone's chainsaw...

But the shotgun's been gimped enough. Leave that alone.

What I'm having problems with more than anything is changing weapons fast enough. You have to be doing pretty much nothing, or just walking to change weapons. I am so used to changing weapons while rolling or sliding into cover that it just makes it seem like the game's controls aren't responsive...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
any european gaffers here? I wanna boost my number of gaffers who are closer to home, have loads of americans and will barely get to play with most of them due to time differences.

my GT is kaizoku7

zaidr said:
I agree that the chainsaws have to get fixed. Its just too easy to run up to someone and chainsaw them. Why did they take away that thing from the last game where if you were being fired upon, you couldn't start revving your chainsaw? It needs to be easier to lower someone's chainsaw...

That is still in the game. Although, I think it takes more bullets now to stop the revving.

Speaking of bugs, there are a few sound issues that need to be patched ASAP. Say you're playing Execution and you and two other teammates get killed, but the other two end up winning the round for you. For some odd reason, you are not able to talk to them or hear anything they say until the new round starts. Same thing for if you win the round, but everyone else gets killed. Also the sound clips from Prescott and the Queen are really fucked up. They'll play for half a second then it sounds like they're being played backwards while slowing down and will eventually fade out. It's nothing too bad, but it does need to be addressed.

ThirdEngine said:
Speaking of bugs, there are a few sound issues that need to be patched ASAP. Say you're playing Execution and you and two other teammates get killed, but the other two end up winning the round for you. For some odd reason, you are not able to talk to them or hear anything they say until the new round starts. Same thing for if you win the round, but everyone else gets killed. Also the sound clips from Prescott and the Queen are really fucked up. They'll play for half a second then it sounds like they're being played backwards while slowing down and will eventually fade out. It's nothing too bad, but it does need to be addressed.

The Execution sound "issue" isn't a bug at all. It's intentional, this happened in Gears of War 1 as well. It's so that you can't give off locations/give strategies by viewing the enemies on the ghost cam.

As for the other issue, I have not run across that and I've been playing for over 30 games online.

DancingJesus said:
The Execution sound "issue" isn't a bug at all. It's intentional, this happened in Gears of War 1 as well. It's so that you can't give off locations by viewing the enemies on the ghost cam.
No, I'm talking about when the round is over while you have those few seconds to wait for the new one to begin. You still cannot talk to them until the new round starts.

Xun

Router said:
Humans experimenting on the locust. Seems like a weapons program.
I think they were probably experimenting on humans to be honest, I read a book whilst in the place which told of a woman saying how she's mutating.

I'm pretty damn sure the Locust were created.

Kestastrophe said:
The multiplayer is completely fucked up, and even worse than the first one to me. The matchmaking is absolutely ridiculous and it routinely takes 5-10 minutes to find a game, plus it is completely uneven (finished a match in which it was 5 on 3, with the 3 man team having all lower ranked players. WTF?). Plus, I thought that they said you weren't going to be able to run up on people and shotgun/chainsaw spam? Well that certainly isn't the case, as I have been chainsawed whilst shooting the guy in the face repeatedly, which is bullshit. The range on grenade tags is still ridiculous, and the splash damage on the mortar seems to be just random (I have been killed while standing a good 10 feet away from a blast, but I have also seen players escape unharmed while being only a few feet away).

It's not all bad, as the smoke grenades have been greatly enhanced and they add a great deal of depth to the gameplay. Same goes for planting grenades. I just wish that they would have made a cleaner and more fair online part instead of the random bullshit that is there now.
If anything, Epic needs to add search filters to the matchmaking system first and foremost. Matchmaking would be a lot less broken or laggy if Europeans / Americans could only join rooms hosted by players from the same region. This is the only reason why I've hardly played Ranked Matches as it is right now, long waiting times be damned.

This shouldn't be all that difficult to add (at least, I think it isn't), so I hope Epic can address this pretty quickly.

kbear

I'm stuck

Pretty late in the game I think so don't read if you haven't beaten it yet:

I'm in the centaur tank and in the mountain and the power went out in the tank then there's these corpsers or some other monster in front of me. When Baird gets the power back up, what do I do? When I tried shooting at one, it just killed me right away, and it doesn't seem like I can move, either.

zaidr

DancingJesus said:
That is still in the game. Although, I think it takes more bullets now to stop the revving.

I know it takes more bullets to make someone stop revving the chainsaw, but what about when they are being fired upon...the last game wouldn't allow someone to start revving if they were being fired upon, and it would take a bit longer for it to fully rev before allowing you to chainsaw somebody, so the chainsaw was still relegated to surprise attacks and not a tactic to use when running up to somebody.

The last game's time between starting the chainsaw rev and it actually chainsawing somebody would allow someone to melee to get away from a chainsaw...there's no chance of that in this game.

Facism

DancingJesus said:

yes, i think so too. It seems very hit or miss to stop a revver initally. With shotty, i'll hardly stop a revver whilst firing from the hip. If i aim the shotty and plant a solid shot on him, it'll drop and he's fooked up the arse.

Had a laugh earlier when a guy just walked through my flamethrower and chainsawed me :lol

cameltoe

finished the SP last night on hardcore...great game, enjoyed it more then the first. Will be trading this in for WaW though, as the MP does nothing for me at all.

kbear said:
I'm stuck

I'm in the centaur tank and in the mountain and the power went out in the tank then there's these corpsers or some other monster in front of me. When Baird gets the power back up, what do I do? When I tried shooting at one, it just killed me right away, and it doesn't seem like I can move, either.

I was stuck there as well

One of the Corspers will lift his arms first, shoot him (I think he's the most right one) and then another will lift his arms and so on. It's kinda like whack-a-mole.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kbear said:
I'm stuck

I don't think that is too far in the game. I just finished that part yesterday.

Shoot the monster on the right, then the monster on the left, then the one in the middle. You have to do it in that order.

That reminds me. It shows you in the matchmaking screen the status of the search (i.e. it will say either "SEARCHING" or "FOUND"), but sometimes it will give a message somewhat like "REMOTE SYSTEM CANCELLED" or something like that, which makes me think when someone cancels the matchmaking it cancels for the entire team and then starts the search over again. It must have made too much sense to drop the one player that quits and then search for somebody else searching for a match.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Any word on whether they'll make the golden lancer DLC? I know it's on the disc cos the hammerburst key was tiny. Crooks on ebay are selling the code for around 30 dollars, some clown even has it as buy it now for 80 :lol

So this and Fable 2 have pushed me over and I am going to pick up a 360
at lunch today instead of stealing my friends every time a good game comes out.

Where is the best place to get one?

Seems like Buy.com has a good warranty program right now any suggestions?

kbear

dskillzhtown said:
I don't think that is too far in the game. I just finished that part yesterday.
Btw, how far am I? Like what % you think? The campaign really packed it seems

BruceLeeRoy said:
So this and Fable 2 have pushed me over and I am going to pick up a 360
at lunch today instead of stealing my friends every time a good game comes out.

Where is the best place to get one?

Seems like Buy.com has a good warranty program right now any suggestions?
Good choice, man. You won't regret it, trust me. You know about cheapassgamer.com? Go there and register on the forum (they can only be read if you register) and check out the various 360 deals. There's always a lot of them. Here's one that gives 15% off all consoles at dell.com, free shipping too I think. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201706&page=2

kbear

nvm, you can find out what act you're on by looking at the war journal in the main menu... wow i'm just like a little over half-way through. This game is fucking epic as hell

So I'm thinking we should start fresh on Horde tonight - new map and all. If we get a good rhythm going, it might not be that difficult by the time those fucking Sires decide to knock down every shield we manage to plant. Agree?

Guys is it worth getting the arcade and a hard drive down the line or should I just get the pro?
Sorry for posting here by the way.

h3ro said:
This is great, now the only people who will complain about your official threads are Wii owners! :p

I want to either do or help with the Alan Wake thread so badly.

On the story as a whole...

A little over 15 years ago the Pendulum wars were fought man vs. man over imulsion. In and around that time that base was set up to experiment on people in secret which led to the Sires, probably to use as a weapon in the Pendulum Wars. As I understand it they took some of the Sires to the mountain range you later go to to observe them when free as it seems to point to in the cinematics. Funny thing is that the Locust Hive is essentially under that mountain.

The creatures, pissed at humans come out on E-Day and are then called Locust by their style of attack which is go in on mass and decimate all they can.

There are bits and pieces of dialog through the game that lead you on this, mostly questions from Dom. The most telling part to me is that Locust show up at the facility where the sires are kept and Dom questions why. I take it that it is their birth place and they were trying to get info on it or just protecting it.

The queen looking human is likely because the treatment didn't take on her or she was part of the scientist crew experimenting to create the Locust. It makes no other sense why she would know Marcus's father.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
ChrisGoldstein said:
Any word on whether they'll make the golden lancer DLC? I know it's on the disc cos the hammerburst key was tiny. Crooks on ebay are selling the code for around 30 dollars, some clown even has it as buy it now for 80 :lol

The golden guns are absolutely hideous. Terrible. They should have given EVERYONE the golden guns, and then the reward for pre-ordering could have been the normal lancer and hammerburst.

GDJustin said:
The golden guns are absolutely hideous. Terrible. They should have given EVERYONE the golden guns, and then the reward for pre-ordering could have been the normal lancer and hammerburst.
Golden Lancer is the shit. Hammerburst, not so much.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Thanks man.

It gets here Wednesday I cant wait to finally play with some of you guys.
Make sure you post your new tag in the Gears 2 online thread. There are a few of us who play every night.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
GDJustin said:

I thought the same from the screen shots but in game I think they look awesome, especially when you're running and it's on your back.

I think I'm just going to go to blockbuster and trade in my regular edition. At least I got the hammerburst code and the comic from gamestop.

Clowns on ebay are selling the lancer code for no less than 30 dollars

BobM

Hi all, just stopped in to say THIS GAME ROCKS! I was a big fan of the first, i am more of an RPG guy bt Gears 1 was the first real shooter i could get into and i even put alot of online MP hours in. (a very rare thing for me) So far i am having a blast with G2, and can't wait to get online and play MP with some of you. I am waiting until i finish the story mode.

Later

BruceLeeRoy said:
Thanks man.

It gets here Wednesday I cant wait to finally play with some of you guys.

Good choice Bruce. :)

I picked up a 360 last month and it's a great console. PS3 + 360 have me convinced that this is the best generation ever.

And I could always use more people on my friends list to play with.

Gamertag is PaiPaiMaster.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
I thought the same from the screen shots but in game I think they look awesome, especially when you're running and it's on your back.

I think I'm just going to go to blockbuster and trade in my regular edition. At least I got the hammerburst code and the comic from gamestop.

Clowns on ebay are selling the lancer code for no less than 30 dollars

Damn. I should've kept mine rather than eagerly inputting it, coulda almost paid for another game with that! Even worse is that I don't even like mine, I'm not good enough at the game, I don't really feel that I've earned it.

I've been having more fun playing multiplayer local with bots than online - match making is quicker, skill more even, closer scoring games, no listening to 12 year old boys talking:lol

Went through all of Act 3 last night, some great moments to be had in that mission;

-Trekking through the caves with only your Centaur headlights illuminating the way. There have been a few moments in the game when I've thought "Epic have just put this in here to show off the new lighting techniques in UE3.5", the ticker tunnel in Act 1 springs to mind. But you know what, it looks so good I don't care! Seeing those Corpser eyes light up the darkness was a "Awww fuck...." sort of moment.

-The Levithan was mightily impressive, again another "uh oh" sort of moment, I'm just glad we didn't take the rowing boat :D. There was a great Jurassic Park moment where you hear a massive roar then a giant ripple emanate outwards from under the boat. Its a shame the fight was a little bit boring and frustrating :/

-I really got sucked in to investigating that abandoned facility, the story really is pissing all over the first one. Coupled in with the journal entries I've picked up so far I get the impression there is a lot more going on than it seems.

-I see a lot of hate for it elsewhere, but I enjoyed the tank driving segment. But then this is coming from someone who also enjoyed the Mako driving in Mass Effect, so read into that what you will. :p

I love this game. The sheer amount of variety and scale in the locations you visit is what impresses me the most, when I think back of everything I saw and did just in one act I can't help but be impressed.

Finished it last night. What a fucking awesome roller-coster ride it was. I really enjoyed Act 5 opening sequence. Like what everybody said, final boss is total cop out but all actions leading to the end from Act 2 to Act 5 is epic. Boss fights could have been more awesome. Tank part is kinda boring. But I don't mind it much as it was the only small part in whole game.

Scorcher is really very powerful weapon. Saved my life when sometimes Revers landed right next to me. You can burn them as if they are lowest level unit of locust army.

I played at Normal and it seems difficulty is definitely toned down than Normal in Gears 1.

Who the fuck decided to show final level at E3? Seriously...

ThirdEngine said:

Just to clarify (won't be getting the game until the end of the week), the code is for a golden Hammerburst, not exclusive use of the Hammerburst itself, right?

Like most Epic games the bots are actually worth playing against.

I really wish there was a Bots Balance Teams option for when people drop out of games. Tossing a bot back in there to balance the team could at least help them have a fair shot.

I was really impressed with the bot AI as well, and I too wish that Epic use bots to balance teams out (especially considering how frequent players seem to drop out early in games).

Shoogoo

GDJustin said:

High five. This is one of the worst collector edition I've bought in my life. I thought it looked like this ;
goldlanceryx6.jpg

Not that bling bling piece of shit.

Finished campaign on hardcore last night with QVT.
sionyboy said:
I love this game. The sheer amount of variety and scale in the locations you visit is what impresses me the most, when I think back of everything I saw and did just in one act I can't help but be impressed.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Because of the variety involved, there were a few portions that I wasn't a huge fan of, but the awesome parts more than made up for it. Act 4 is the most fun I've had in the campaign for a game in quite some time. I can't wait to go back and take a crack at it on insane sometime soon - I just hope the mildly frustrating bits aren't awful with the difficulty ramped up.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Oh my god, for real. The Golden Lancer is the hottest gun ever, it looks so great in those MP matches. :D

Hammerburst looks like shit in gold though.

Beaulieu

Pai Pai Master said:
Like most Epic games the bots are actually worth playing against.

I really wish there was a Bots Balance Teams option for when people drop out of games. Tossing a bot back in there to balance the team could at least help them have a fair shot.

Is it possible to play 4 humans vs 4 bots ?

Top Bottom