• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
MajorB0ner said:
I've been having more fun playing multiplayer local with bots than online - match making is quicker, skill more even, closer scoring games, no listening to 12 year old boys talking:lol

Strong truth my friend! I've played only one game online with real people, a game in which I got fucked on relentlessly and had to listen to children discussing the racial origins of their new president. Yay XBL. Bots ahoy!

Also, I can beat bots (on Hardcore though, I'm not a total pussy). I think in all my games of GoW1 I must have gotten 10 kills, I sucked ass. This is much more fun.

Also, I want to note here that I think the acheivements in this games are blimmin' brilliant, so much better than Epic's last 2 games. Not only are the objectives more fun and fair (and the kind of thing you can get through regular play), but the way they tick off is very satisfying. I think they've obviously been taking some notes from Valve, I wish more devs would.

raYne

Just finished off the Betty section on Insane in one go. After seeing the complaints earlier, umm... yea.. Jesus you people are weaksauce. :lol

Either you have horrible aim or you've forgotten that you have to purge the heat from the turret (RB) when it overheats. So you didn't have the chance to land enough hits as you should've.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just to clarify (won't be getting the game until the end of the week), the code is for a golden Hammerburst, not exclusive use of the Hammerburst itself, right?
Right. But the only way you could get a code was to attend a Midnight Madness event at GameStop.

Aladuf said:
Oh my god, for real. The Golden Lancer is the hottest gun ever, it looks so great in those MP matches.

Hammerburst looks like shit in gold though.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13572441&postcount=4284

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
raYne said:
Just finished off the Betty section on Insane in one go. After seeing the complaints earlier, umm... yea.. Jesus you people are weaksauce. :lol

Either you have horrible aim or you've forgotten that you have to purge the heat from the turret (RB) when it overheats. So you didn't have the chance to land enough hits as you should've.

You can purge heat from turrets?

I never knew that. :lol

That section annoyed me on hardcore. Now I'm up to end of Act 4 somewhere.

bill0527

Finished it on Normal just a little while ago and then started up on Hardcore and played up to Betty. I'm not seeing much difference yet in the difficulty levels.

What an awesome game. Definitely a strong GoTY candidate.

I never finished the first Gears campaign and I'm thinking about going back and doing it so I can unlock the secret characters in Gears 2.

raYne

LunaticPuma said:
You can purge heat from turrets?

I never knew that. :lol

That section annoyed me on hardcore. Now I'm up to end of Act 4 somewhere.
One would be surprised to find that there's all kinds of useful info popping up on the screen while you play. :eek: :lol

elguerosinfe said:
Act 2 was good, but Act 3 is one of the best FPS experiences ever.
orly.gif

Linkhero1 said:
Online is great. Any tips when doing chainsaw battle? I tap the shit out of B but I always lose. :lol
Tap faster? *shrug*

Linkhero1

The bots kick my ass online more than the human opponents. :lol

Online is great. Any tips when doing chainsaw battle? I tap the shit out of B but I always lose. :lol

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
raYne said:
One would be surprised to find that there's all kinds of useful info popping up on the screen while you play. :eek: :lol

That pro-tip never popped up for me. I do try to read all of the useful information stuff. Either it never came up for me or accidentally skipped over it. I guess my future insane play through won't be that bad now. Hardcore really isn't that hard.

bill0527 said:
Finished it on Normal just a little while ago and then started up on Hardcore and played up to Betty. I'm not seeing much difference yet in the difficulty levels.

I never finished the first Gears campaign and I'm thinking about going back and doing it so I can unlock the secret characters in Gears 2.
Betty is an amazing character, wouldn't you agree?

StoOgE said:
So far Act 2 > Anything in gears 1.

Act 3 = good, but not enough shooting.
I enjoyed Act 3 even though there wasn't a lot of shooting.

bill0527 said:

Just FYI, they aren't secret characters. You can see all names in "Unlockable" section in War Journal.

Shins

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
So I'm thinking we should start fresh on Horde tonight - new map and all. If we get a good rhythm going, it might not be that difficult by the time those fucking Sires decide to knock down every shield we manage to plant. Agree?
I agree. As frustrating as Pavilion was, the staircase was definitely the best place to be. I don't think holding the open cabins in River was near as good of a position. The opening at the bottom is too wide, long-distance enemies can shoot through the opening in the roof/wall, and once they breach, its a death trap.

I vote Hail, if only to see how the waves would deal with the shifting weather; it might give us some relative breathing room.

Aladuf said:
Have you used it yet? Regardless, I think if you dislike the look of the Hammerburst, its not because its gold; its because the Hammerburst design itself just isn't as appealing as the Lancer to you.

Function over form though; I'd rather have a Hammerburst and a Lancer and forego the shotgun entirely. Until they fix the unstoppable chainsaw, getting up close to anyone is not in my game plan.

Chrange

Banned
I don't know if this was mentioned yet, but the Canadian LE is garbage for the 90% of the country that speaks English as their primary language. They include two art books - one in English and one in French. Guess which one is the hardcover, with the better quality paper?

The French one.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Aladuf said:
Oh my god, for real. The Golden Lancer is the hottest gun ever, it looks so great in those MP matches. :D

It really is. It looks so great when my teammates are running and it's on their back. I'm going to blockbuster today to trade in my regular edition and upgrade to the LE. It'll be cheaper than paying 30 dollars on ebay for just the code.

shpankey

not an idiot
what's so hard about
driving the tank? i don't get it, the thing controls almost exact like the warthog in halo. i was the driver and my co-op buddy was the gun man, and it was simple and easy to drive
and a hell of a lot of fun! For those of you who dislike it, did you have a hard time
controlling the warthog in halo as well?

raYne

LunaticPuma said:
That pro-tip never popped up for me. I do try to read all of the useful information stuff. Either it never came up for me or accidentally skipped over it. I guess my future insane play through won't be that bad now. Hardcore really isn't that hard.
I'm pretty sure it was shown right after you grab it the first time. As with everything else, the first time you grab something you're told how it works and what, if applicable, the secondary ability is.

shpankey said:
what's so hard about
driving the tank? i don't get it, the thing controls almost exact like the warthog in halo. i was the driver and my co-op buddy was the gun man, and it was simple and easy to drive
and a hell of a lot of fun! For those of you who dislike it, did you have a hard time
controlling the warthog in halo as well?
It's the same thing I was wondering.. and the Warthog comparison popped into my head immediately after grabbing the wheel as well. The only difference is that it doesn't slide all over the place.

There's probably the obvious preference of wanting to aim the gun and wheel independently, but eh.

Linkhero1 said:
I tap till my 360 controller feels it's about to break and still can't win :lol
Well, there's always the obvious:

>insert avatar quote<

Shins said:
I agree. As frustrating as Pavilion was, the staircase was definitely the best place to be. I don't think holding the open cabins in River was near as good of a position. The opening at the bottom is too wide, long-distance enemies can shoot through the opening in the roof/wall, and once they breach, its a death trap.

I vote Hail, if only to see how the waves would deal with the shifting weather; it might give us some relative breathing room.
That sounds like a good idea. The upper area wouldn't be too hard to barricade when shit starts to get crazy, plus we'd be right at two grenade spawns and either Torque or Longshot. Now to figure out what time and who the two other people will be.

Haden

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
That sounds like a good idea. The upper area wouldn't be too hard to barricade when shit starts to get crazy, plus we'd be right at two grenade spawns and either Torque or Longshot. Now to figure out what time and who the two other people will be.

When are you guys planning on playing? I am really into horde haven't got past level 18 yet though but im not awful lol, I am a British Gaf player but usually stay up late when im not working so time wouldnt be an issue. HeadlessHaden is GT. If you are playing with friends or established players though dw :)

On SP did Act 2 today much better than the first act imo and also the ending is really sick lol.

I finished the game last night as was struck by the story similarities between GOW2 and the Halo series. Sires are very reminiscent of the Flood and the civil war raging on within the Locust seemed like a bit of a rip off of the civil war in the Covenant as well.

Great game overall, but the story was by no means original.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Dax01 said:
All the Kryll were killed when the Lightmass bomb detonated.

There are no berserkers.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!! :(

to be fair, I think they did plenty with Bezerkers in the first game. They were by favorite parts but the last two encounters (on the train and the greenhouse) were pretty much pure win... and I think they had problems with the AI with the Kryll since everyone kept killing themselves

Also, I liked Chapter 3 (I'm not done yet) but my favorite parts are the stop and pop shooting which it lacked much of. Other than the
razer hail, which was pretty freaking awesome and worked as the kryll stage
. I think the strength of Chapter 3 was the ambiance and setting which ruled in a creepy kind of way. Much more effective than the factory in Gears 1. Well, the setting and the flame thrower.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
The Wise Old Man said:
I finished the game last night as was struck by the story similarities between GOW2 and the Halo series. Sires are very reminiscent of the Flood and the civil war raging on within the Locust seemed like a bit of a rip off of the civil war in the Covenant as well.

haha yeah when I was playing the worm level I was like, holy shit we're in the gravemind!

Baker

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
I tap till my 360 controller feels it's about to break and still can't win :lol

I had two whiners over the weekend throw fits that I was using a turbo controller. :lol

I "kindly" explained to them that I'd been gaming since their dads were probably still in junior high and my thumb was just better than them.

It does feel so depressing and insulting when you do lose a dual though.

The Wise Old Man said:

I felt the game also showed a lot of similarities to Halo 3 in game mechanics and whatnot. The biggest problem with that is
I didn't like the Halo 3 campaign

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey, can we spoiler tag some of the story elements? The game has only been out for 3 days.

I just read some stuff I would have prefered not to.

Can some explain what the fuck in Act 3?

I'm in the Centaur and have reached that bit with 3 or 4 Corpsers, and Baird screams shoot it! and then I just die instantly. What the fuck is going on? What do I shoot? What am I not doing? Which one do I shoot?

seriously. But I am so loving this game aside from this one bit I'm stuck on, I'm sure I'm just an idiot though.

t4ng0

2 Minutes Turkish said:

I'm in the Centaur and have reached that bit with 3 or 4 Corpsers, and Baird screams shoot it! and then I just die instantly. What the fuck is going on? What do I shoot? What am I not doing? Which one do I shoot?

seriously. But I am so loving this game aside from this one bit I'm stuck on, I'm sure I'm just an idiot though.
shoot the one on the right first, etc.
, kinda trial and error until you figure that out

dralla

2 Minutes Turkish said:

shoot the one that's "open"..in the face. that part sucks ass though.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

You're not alone.

Shoot the one on the far right first, then middle, then far left. What takes about 30 seconds ended up taking me about almost half an hour.

ThirdEngine said:
You're not alone.

Shoot the one on the far right first, then middle, then far left. What takes about 30 seconds ended up taking me about almost half an hour.
Holy shit really?

I did this my first time out. It just seemed logical I don't know.

_dementia said:
Holy shit really?

I kept trying to shoot the far one on the left, because it looked like he wasn't guarding himself. I thought that him jumping down was killing me, not the one just standing there on the far right.
:lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
_dementia said:
Holy shit really?

Same, don't know how the hell people are having problems with that part considering if you played Gears 1 then you'd know
to shoot their mouths when their face is exposed. Same logic applies for Gears 2.

raYne

t4ng0 said:
shoot the one on the right first, etc.
, kinda trial and error until you figure that out
Not really. You have to shoot it in the face, just like you did in Gears1. Should be pretty obvious if you've played the first.

edit:
Domino Theory said:
Same, don't know how the hell people are having problems with that part considering if you played Gears 1 then you'd know
to shoot their mouths when their face is exposed. Same logic applies for Gears 2.
Yeah, that.

Manp

just replayed the
Hospital
level on a different console (with the game installed on HDD just to be sure) cause i couldn't believe what happened the first time. basically the Italian dub of the first FMV (
the one playing after the Hospital tutorial, the one with president's speech
) is completely fucked up.

everyone's voice sounds like they're fucking chipmunks! :lol :lol :lol

30c4lzm.jpg

haven't finished the game so i don't know if the managed to ruin any other FMV...

English dub is ok of course

:)

Shins said:

There is no razorhail on... Hail during the entirety of Horde.

Thanks guys.

I think the problem is that
I wasn't noticing if any of them had their face exposed. I assumed the one jumping down was killing me, so I kept trying to shoot the one who jumps down

thanks though, I'll try it again tonight.

Top Bottom