• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

StoOgE said:
It pissed me off on hardcore. I was about ready to turn it off.

Pissed me off on hardcore too.

Took quite a few shots at it, and a couple of times it dies as I did. prick.

There are certain parts I'm dreading doing on Insane I gotta say, and that's one of them.

vhfive

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Pissed me off on hardcore too.

Took quite a few shots at it, and a couple of times it dies as I did. prick.

There are certain parts I'm dreading doing on Insane I gotta say, and that's one of them.
im playing on hardcore right now
and im about to stop playing this game because of this part
i shoot every single mortar and start unloading on the reaver immediately and it just keeps killing betty is there a trick or do i have to keep shooting it

EDIT didn't realize you could zoom on the turret
makes it a lot easier

Well..... those who don't have the "There's A Time For Us" achievement shouldn't read this.

What was meant probably meant to be the most moving cutscene in all the game was unfortunately made somewhat comical for me due to the placement of a boomshield. I'd set up a boomshield on our left flank to protect against the theron guards who come at you during the firefight. I didn't know however that that was where Maria's coffin-thing would be.

It wasn't removed when the cutscene kicked in, so what was meant to be a special moment between Dom and Maria turned out to be Dom crying over a boomshield (whilst being cut in two by it)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sionyboy/photos/gearslol.jpg - apologies for the crappy camera pic, but it gives you an idea of how that cutscene played out.

I'm kinda gutted at that.... :/ On the plus side it definitely proves the cutscenes are realtime. I was pretty sure they were but that funky motion blur/grain effect was confusing me, it did look like video compression.

On with the rest of act 4 then.

GhostRidah said:
im so use to left 4 deads option were people can join in mid game, wish that were possible in horde mode.
Don't ask me how, but Friday night, my co-worker, his friends, and I were playing horde. First it was 4 people and we were able to invite a fifth person about eight waves in.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Domino Theory said:
Same, don't know how the hell people are having problems with that part considering if you played Gears 1 then you'd know
to shoot their mouths when their face is exposed. Same logic applies for Gears 2.

Yeah, but that logic is flawed because:

the one in the middle opens it's mouth first. So the natural inclination is to shoot him first. But when I noticed he was pushing my gun to the right, I figured it was for a reason.

Baker

Banned
_dementia said:
Don't ask me how, but Friday night, my co-worker, his friends, and I were playing horde. First it was 4 people and we were able to invite a fifth person about eight waves in.

Yeah, I thought you could join private games mid-match.

I was looking through the What's Up list and it said a buddy was joinable on Horde - Wave 8.

Teknoman

vhfive said:
i shoot every single mortar and start unloading on the reaver immediately and it just keeps killing betty is there a trick or do i have to keep shooting it

makes it a lot easier

Keep shooting it, make sure to keep it cooled.

Diuretic

vhfive said:

I just took the reaver down on Insane after more tries than I care to count. What finally worked for me:

1) Don't wait for the reaver alert. Turn to the left immediately after you down the last mortar, and as soon as you get a bead on the reaver flying in, start shooting.

2) Focus on hitting the body of the reaver, which is easiest to target. I didn't worry about shooting off the riders or going for the reaver's head or anything like that.

3) Unload a full round of the turret into the reaver until the turret overheats, then use RB to cool it down completely, and then repeat.

4) It seems like the key is really to just become familiar enough with the reaver's behavior so that you can anticipate its movements and connect with almost all of your shots.

This advice kind of ventures into the "shoot at the cyberdemon until it dies" territory, but hopefully it helps a bit.

Chinner

Banned
vhfive said:

makes it a lot easier
right bumper also makes the turret cool alot faster as well

FUCK YEAH Beat the reaver on insane after 2 hours/50+ tries. :lol :lol
Tips. Do not let the turret over heat even once.. if it does you do not do enough damage in the time allowed to kill it. Ignore the 2 enemies on it, you dont need to waste time killing time first. Just pump every last bullet into the reaver. I tried aiming for the head the entire time but it moved so much most of my ammo went into the body.. just DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT.

Burger

Can someone explain this story thing in the middle of the game ?

So you go to this old COG research facility, presumable to find out some shit about something, can't remember if they told you why you were there or not. So you go in, find out that a bunch of nutters went off to a mountain for some reason that isn't explained, and then locust start busting out of big ass storage tanks for another reason that isn't explained. Then you decide to get your ass back to your Centaur so you can go up to this mountain, for some reason.

I know these are bad ass army dudes, but I'm pretty sure if I was in that situation I would be asking myself "What the FUCK is going on here?"

So was I just not paying attention, or do you have to go around for hours looking for those little scraps of information just to understand what the hell is going on ?

Burger

DarkAngelYuna said:
FUCK YEAH Beat the reaver on insane after 2 hours/50+ tries. :lol :lol
Tips. Do not let the turret over heat even once.. if it does you do not do enough damage in the time allowed to kill it. Ignore the 2 enemies on it, you dont need to waste time killing time first. Just pump every last bullet into the reaver. I tried aiming for the head the entire time but it moved so much most of my ammo went into the body.. just DO NOT LET IT OVER HEAT.

You can cool the gun almost instantly with RB.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
_dementia said:

lol

My favorite part of the campaign is when Cole
starts cussing out the locust queen thru the mic in the locust hive/compount whatever, that shit was classic

ChrisGoldstein said:
lol

My favorite part of the campaign is when Cole
starts cussing out the locust queen thru the mic in the locust hive/compount whatever, that shit was classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTAVTkQx72w
My partner and I totally lost it at this scene. Cole is the best.

_dementia said:
Holy shit really?

I did this my first time out. It just seemed logical I don't know.

I was the one driving my tank at the time so I had to tell my partner which ones to shoot first. The campaign requires way more cooperation than the first game. Really "looking forward" to
carrying the bomb
on insane.

Burger said:

I can't remember why they send you to the COG facility but they were experimenting on people at the reseach facility and created some creatures. They took some to the mountain range to let them run wild for study. A few years later the same creatures pop out on E Day and kill everyone and are then called the Locust as per their method of attack.

The creatures in the tube are let out by Marcus because you flip a switch.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Alright so I need some collectible help.

My friend joined my SP game for some co-op last night and while we were playing, he picked up two collectibles. What amazed me was that the prompt to read the collectible showed up on BOTH of our screens. So does him picking up a collectible in my SP game count for just him, just me, or both of us?

Shins

Banned
Burger said:
Hoffman explains to the Gears over the radio that they're at the facility to find coordinates on the location of the Locust Queen, which turns out the be through the mountains. The exact purpose of the faciliy and why its been abandoned, as well as just why the hell its become so important all of a suddent are all question voiced by the Gears themselves upon recieving their orders. I imagine those questions will be dealt with in the next game, given the ending.

The creatures that come bursting out the the tubes aren't Locust, but Sires. Their connection with the rest of the Locust is up for interpretation right now. You can infer that they're some kind of experiment from what Niles, the demented AI that you hear throughout the facility mentions. There is also some extra info to be had from the collectables. One is a bit of a journal from a woman that is undergoing some kind of experimentation.

As for why the Locust show up, beyond obvious gameplay reasons, I think we can just assume that the Locust seem to be nearly everywhere in Sera, so they'll show up eventually.

Grecco

Is the limited edition "that" limited ive been to a bunch of stores looking for a copy and ive been out of luck. Heck i can still find halo helmets but no Gears 2

WrikaWrek

Banned
Shins said:
Hoffman explains to the Gears over the radio that they're at the facility to find coordinates on the location of the Locust Queen, which turns out the be through the mountains. The exact purpose of the faciliy and why its been abandoned, as well as just why the hell its become so important all of a suddent are all question voiced by the Gears themselves upon recieving their orders. I imagine those questions will be dealt with in the next game, given the ending.

The creatures that come bursting out the the tubes aren't Locust, but Sires. Their connection with the rest of the Locust is up for interpretation right now. You can infer that they're some kind of experiment from what Niles, the demented AI that you hear throughout the facility mentions. There is also some extra info to be had from the collectables. One is a bit of a journal from a woman that is undergoing some kind of experimentation.

As for why the Locust show up, beyond obvious gameplay reasons, I think we can just assume that the Locust seem to be nearly everywhere in Sera, so they'll show up eventually.

Btw, the plot is obvious right now.
Marcus's Dad and the Queen "made" the locust, probably a military project that went wrong, with the Queen loving its own creation.

Shins said:
The creatures that come bursting out the the tubes aren't Locust, but Sires.

The Locust were only called Locust because of the way they attacked on E-Day and thereafter. If the government were keeping a secret about a hidden base where they made a gigantic mistake I doubt they would say "Oh, by the way, we made these creatures that just ravaged our society and we would prefer if you didn't call them Locusts but by their proper name: Sires."

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Grecco said:
Is the limited edition "that" limited ive been to a bunch of stores looking for a copy and ive been out of luck. Heck i can still find halo helmets but no Gears 2

Is the "limited edition" the one with the lancer or the $69.99 version with the behind the scenes stuff and the gold weapon for multiplayer? They had plenty of the regular version and the $69.99 version at Circuit City.

The Panzer Dragoon-esque parts were a nice surprise. Why do none of the characters seem to think much of the fact that
the Queen looks like a normal human with some tentacles?

Should finish it tonight. The graphics of the city being destroyed are unbelievable.

Grecco

Mooreberg said:
Is the "limited edition" the one with the lancer or the $69.99 version with the behind the scenes stuff and the gold weapon for multiplayer? They had plenty of the regular version and the $69.99 version at Circuit City.

I went to 4 stores today couldnt find a copy of the 69.99 version. Plenty of the regular version.

Shins

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Marcus's Dad and the Queen "made" the locust, probably a military project that went wrong, with the Queen loving its own creation.
The whole
"humans made Locust" thing seems obvious enough and I'd agree with it, except for the Ruins and the Hollow, which appear and are desribed to be ancient. If the Locust have only been in existence for a few decades at best, who built/used those areas before?

I could see something more like the Locust existing in some far less mutated/destructive form, up until Fenix and the researchers begin experimenting on them, creating Sires and whatever else, which are then released and multiply, giving us the current Locust Horde. And what the hell are the Lambents in all of this?

Scarecrow

I bet it's been already mentioned, but does Niles remind anyone else of M.A.L. (doctor Blight's AI henchman) from Captain Planet?

mal.jpg

WrikaWrek

Banned
Shins said:
The whole
"humans made Locust" thing seems obvious enough and I'd agree with it, except for the Ruins and the Hollow, which appear and are desribed to be ancient. If the Locust have only been in existence for a few decades at best, who built/used those areas?

Maybe the
experiments involved some alien shit, or ancient shit, i dunno.

Shins said:
The whole
"humans made Locust" thing seems obvious enough and I'd agree with it, except for the Ruins and the Hollow, both of which appear to be ancient. If the Locust have only been in existence for a few decades at best, who built/used those areas?

Its been 15 years since E-Day so a good while to create underground structures. I can't remember about the first game but I think that all the Locust structures are not ruined but more recent constructions.

That and slavery. In one of the cinematics you can see a human chiseling away at one of the pieces. Obviously they didn't have an oppurtunity to show all the people they have taken working on a building.

_dementia said:
I've seen it happen too, and I think it works like this. You can't invite people mid-game, but if you send out invites before the host actually starts a Horde match, then someone can still join a session in progress. Should he accept the invite when there's still a spot left for him of course.

Baker

Banned
WrikaWrek said:

By "made," do you mean, "made sweet, sweet love?"

Exarchos said:
Wait, this works on regular turrets too -- not just the
Brumak part
?

Every turrent based gun in the game.

I know the game is exciting and all, but you can kinda see who has the ADDs around here. :lol How much easier would all your lives be if ya read the two sentences that popped up the first time you manned a turrent?

raYne

Exarchos said:
Wait, this works on regular turrets too -- not just the
Brumak part
?
Yes. It tells you that the first time you use one (Betty) and it's also listed in the manual.

Baker said:
I know the game is exciting and all, but you can kinda see who has the ADDs around here. :lol How much easier would all your lives be if ya read the two sentences that popped up the first time you manned a turrent?
:lol

Baker

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Yeah. Probably, the world ugliest women made sex with the world ugliest animal, and shit happened.

I'm saying
the Locust Queen was the first (or first successful) Sire experiment. Marcus' dad, who was the military presence in the facility, boinked the shit out of her in a drunken night of debauchery. And voila, there are your Locusts.

Baker said:
I know the game is exciting and all, but you can kinda see who has the ADDs around here

This happened to me on the
Flying the Reaver part
Funny how a game can go from great to pure crap in 5 deaths then when the solution is revealed due to lack of reading and player failure the game becomes great again.

Kibbles

Had a blast today as well on Meatflag, River. 28 kills 6 deaths. :lol We actually won this time, but either way this game is fun as hell. :D I just hope Gears 3 doesn't have this downloadable ending shit Mark Rein is talking about. I'll be buying it, but still it sounds like a horrible idea to me.

Baker

Banned
By the way, I don't see an online thread for this game, so if anyone wants to add me...

Gamertag: Forensick

If you could, send a message with "GAF" in it or something so I know it isn't some random kid. I play pretty much all night long.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Meatflag is pretty awesome, I hadnt played it until last night and I was like wtf do I do? Who's this bum with the shotgun? I thought it would just be someone from the other team not an actual npc

Top Bottom