• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Shoogoo

Domino Theory said:
Alright so I need some collectible help.

My friend joined my SP game for some co-op last night and while we were playing, he picked up two collectibles. What amazed me was that the prompt to read the collectible showed up on BOTH of our screens. So does him picking up a collectible in my SP game count for just him, just me, or both of us?

Both, I think.

Shoogoo

Baker said:
By the way, I don't see an online thread for this game, so if anyone wants to add me...

Gamertag: Forensick

If you could, send a message with "GAF" in it or something so I know it isn't some random kid. I play pretty much all night long.

Add "Gaf Gow2" to your friend list and you'll see tons of gaffers wanting to do the same as you.

Momar

aka Ryder
Someone said it earlier but I demand an answer:
Whose idea was it to show the LAST level at E3? I thought the press conference was freaking amazing, but kind of took some of the oomph out of it the second time around when playing. Were they just really pressured to make a bang at E3 or something? There were plenty of earlier parts to show, imo, that would have achieved the same goal.

edit: I might be up to play in a bit, add me, gamertag = momar2099

Scarecrow

Ryder said:
Someone said it earlier but I demand an answer:
Whose idea was it to show the LAST level at E3? I thought the press conference was freaking amazing, but kind of took some of the oomph out of it the second time around when playing. Were they just really pressured to make a bang at E3 or something? There were plenty of earlier parts to show, imo, that would have achieved the same goal.

edit: I might be up to play in a bit, add me, gamertag = momar2099
Yeah, that pissed me off too. I thought there would be more game left because of that.

StoOgE said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!! :(

to be fair, I think they did plenty with Bezerkers in the first game. They were by favorite parts but the last two encounters (on the train and the greenhouse) were pretty much pure win... and I think they had problems with the AI with the Kryll since everyone kept killing themselves

Also, I liked Chapter 3 (I'm not done yet) but my favorite parts are the stop and pop shooting which it lacked much of. Other than the
razer hail, which was pretty freaking awesome and worked as the kryll stage
. I think the strength of Chapter 3 was the ambiance and setting which ruled in a creepy kind of way. Much more effective than the factory in Gears 1. Well, the setting and the flame thrower.
Yeah, I thought Act 3 was scary in a creepy kind of way. Kind of like BioShock.

KdoubleA

I got the "Hoard the Horde" achievement last night :D That was the most intense shit I've ever played in a long time lol. Spent at least 4 hours with a bunch of buddies to do it...Wave 50 was seriously, unforgettable...

We played on the map with the balconies and a hole in the center (forgot the name); it's the one where there's a Hammer/ Mortar on one balcony and a Torque/ Sniper on the other. Anyway, the last few enemies left were fucking BloodMounts :lol and they came up the steps, cornered all 4 of us on top of one balcony and we just kept dying, reviving, dying, reviving, while shotgunning the hell out of them.

Awesome time...Awesome game...Action game of the decade!!!

Flunkie

Banned
SUPAMAAANNNNNNN

E900600E17E1CF201586.jpg

8031431717E1CF286978.jpg

The dude is down, bleeding out.. not jumping.

This happened in Third and I's Wingman match. Also, in the Wingman match right before this one, I was Dom and Third was Tai.. and we were supposed to be both Dom. Everyone in the match was screwed up. There was Sniper and a Theron working together, etc.

Confuzzling.

Shins

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Its been 15 years since E-Day so a good while to create underground structures. I can't remember about the first game but I think that all the Locust structures are not ruined but more recent constructions.

That and slavery. In one of the cinematics you can see a human chiseling away at one of the pieces. Obviously they didn't have an oppurtunity to show all the people they have taken working on a building.
A good while is enough to create tunnels throughout the entirety of the planet, on top of the architechture we see in the Hollow? I don't know about that. And Dom noting how old everything appears seems like it would feel rather misleading if its truly only been fifteen years. The dilapidated cities of Sera look aged after fifteen years. The Hollow looks ancient by comparison.

It doesn't simply appear to be destroyed or chipped away at by slaves. It appears to have been weathered and aged by time.

Like I tried to expand on in my edited post, I think its plausible that the current version of the Locust you fight in the game are indeed the result of experimentation, but it seems to me that something much more docile must've been inhabiting the underground for a long, long time before this. Perhaps the change also has something to do with immulsion, seeing how much the normal Locust hate the Lambents, and what a mutative agent it can be.

I don't think there's much definitive to be drawn at this point. There's a lot of valid theory you can make from what they've offered, but its all open enough to accommodate multiple ideas.

Aladuf

Banned
@ ThirdEngine, I definitely agree that we should start fresh on Horde again tonight. Are we talking Insane difficulty this time? I hope so.

CliffyB if you're out there please extend my praise to Steve Jablonsky for one of the best videogame soundtracks I've heard. It's so very very awesome. :D

when I heard he'd be doing it I was thrilled but it turned out to be even better than I expected.

The Chef

I couldn't resist and bought my first 360 today for this game. I ordered a Pro from Dell.

Do Pro 360s come with a Gold Live trial?

FrankT

The Chef said:
I couldn't resist and bought my first 360 today for this game. I ordered a Pro from Dell.

Do Pro 360s come with a Gold Live trial?

Yea, I'm fairly certain you get a month of Live. Also, if you do get Live after that do not pay $50 you can get it much cheaper online normally.

Aladuf

Banned
Flunkie said:
But you seemed perfectly content with Casual last night. ;)
After 30 waves of Hardcore I had no problem with him downing the difficulty, that was the hardest thing I've ever attempted in gaming. But if we start fresh on a map that we all agree on being a good map for Horde with a good strategy then we could tackle it on Insane, we just have to keep a hold of our Boomshields which was impossible to do last night since we started back up on Wave 30 and it never allowed us to even get Boomshields.

JB1981

Yo LJ, Vagrant, Spooka, Hacks etc:

let's get a game going tonight .. Horde .. multi .. whatever.

Let me know if you guys want to play

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
After 30 waves of Hardcore I had no problem with him downing the difficulty, that was the hardest thing I've ever attempted in gaming. But if we start fresh on a map that we all agree on being a good map for Horde with a good strategy then we could tackle it on Insane, we just have to keep a hold of our Boomshields which was impossible to do last night since we started back up on Wave 30 and it never allowed us to even get Boomshields.
Oh I'm not opposed to Insane, I was just expressing my hate for Hail.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Aladuf said:
What about Hail? I'm not playing Horde in Hardcore again, if we start a new one then we're going on Insane.
Your insane. :lol I'll add you to my XBL friends list, if thats ok. I think we played some Burnout on PS3 a while back. Be nice to play horde with ya.

Aladuf

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Your insane. :lol I'll add you to my XBL friends list, if thats ok. I think we played some Burnout on PS3 a while back. Be nice to play horde with ya.
No problem, we'll have some of the old Burnout crew reassembled on Gears. A couple of us play already.

Flunkie said:
By the way, thanks for letting me believe you got to 31 on Hardcore, asshole. :p
What?! You never asked and I never said that we did get to 31 on Hardcore. You simply didn't ask for the details. :D

JB1981

MirageDwarf said:
Soundtrack is one more thing which is much better in Gears 2. Keeps up well to create epic scale mood.

Hmmm .... I haven't heard a single 'theme' that best the main theme from the original - ya know, the theme that plays on the train level at the end .... shit was hot

[Nintex]

After the end credits:
The Adam Fenix transmission, he said something like "What have you done!?" and I started thinking about what it could be. My guess is that the Immulsion will mix with the water. Maybe the Immulsion will spread further.

zsswimmer

Anyone have trouble with the 'Friends with Benefits' achievement? I played the entire campaign in co-op and on the war journal it has like one little bit left off. ARGH, I have no clue which one it is.

Kibbles

ugh the boot said:
That COG facility....WOW....just WOW....in and outside....WOWOWOOWOWOWOW!!!
Yeah, look out the windows <3 The rain drops streaming down the windows looks hawt. Great attention to detail.

Aladuf

Banned
[Nintex] said:
After the end credits:
The Adam Fenix transmission, he said something like "What have you done!?" and I started thinking about what it could be. My guess is that the Immulsion will mix with the water. Maybe the Immulsion will spread further.
I had some thoughts about that too..

Between what Adam Fenix said and the Locust Queen's dialogue as Jacinto was sinking (something along the lines of "Everyone leaves an impression, but it may not be the impression they desire") it makes me think that Delta squad (or the COGs as a whole) will maybe be looked down on as the bad guys or something by the humans in Gears 3. I don't know how that would affect the game or what them being viewed as the bad guys would even matter in Gears 3 but I thought it was possible.

LJ11

JB1981 said:
Yo LJ, Vagrant, Spooka, Hacks etc:

let's get a game going tonight .. Horde .. multi .. whatever.

Let me know if you guys want to play

I'll be on around 8, that ok with you?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
reaver help... please

i need help defeating the giant reaver that chases you after you escape through the woods after the palace. yeah, i can dodge the missiles just fine, but i cant figure out how to get away from the mouth when the bastard grabs me. can i dodge the grab? can i escape? do i need to target a specific part of it at a specific time to avoid the bite that kills me (the 3rd)?

any help would be appreciated.

i love the game but i definitely see where the complaints come from from single player. if you are going to do something, do it right. grrr

Well if that's the case, bring on Insane tonight. We get a good game going, who knows what we'll be able to pull off. I'll be on at 7:00 as well.

Flunkie said:

[IMG][/QUOTE]
Seriously, these little glitches here and there are starting to scare me.

op_ivy said:
reaver help... please

i need help defeating the giant reaver that chases you after you escape through the woods after the palace. yeah, i can dodge the missiles just fine, but i cant figure out how to get away from the mouth when the bastard grabs me. can i dodge the grab? can i escape? do i need to target a specific part of it at a specific time to avoid the bite that kills me (the 3rd)?

i love the game but i definitely see where the complaints come from from single player. if you are going to do something, do it right. grrr
Shoot the arm when it grabs you.

op_ivy said:
reaver help... please

Just shoot the hell out of the arm thats holding you.

Top Bottom