• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

raYne

op_ivy said:
reaver help... please

i need help defeating the giant reaver that chases you after you escape through the woods after the palace. yeah, i can dodge the missiles just fine, but i cant figure out how to get away from the mouth when the bastard grabs me. can i dodge the grab? can i escape? do i need to target a specific part of it at a specific time to avoid the bite that kills me (the 3rd)?

any help would be appreciated.

i love the game but i definitely see where the complaints come from from single player. if you are going to do something, do it right. grrr
Shoot the arms.

edit:
I'm almost certain it tells you to do that too. I think one of the crew yells it out.

Every death via >insert thing< in the game is easily avoided if you pay attention. The only thing close to wtf-inducing is the
Centaur vs tower
section. Even then, it's sorta obvious after you die the first time.

Burger

Warm Machine said:
I can't remember why they send you to the COG facility but they were experimenting on people at the reseach facility and created some creatures. They took some to the mountain range to let them run wild for study. A few years later the same creatures pop out on E Day and kill everyone and are then called the Locust as per their method of attack.

The creatures in the tube are let out by Marcus because you flip a switch.

Fair enough.

Seems weird that nobody in the actual game seems to give a shit. Sure there is a war going on, but you would think if they sent marines to
an abandoned facility that contained mutated people that resemble the enemy you are trying to defeat
, you would say "Hang on, what is going on here lets figure this shit out."

During the making of they keep going on about how hard they worked on the story, but it seems like they skimmed over a whole lot. The story basically served to facilitate a change in scenery and sort of explain why you were going where you were.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
this sucks. who is playing gears right now?

I need more friends who play gears at this kind of time cos matchmaking blows.

rcua1884

kaizoku said:
this sucks. who is playing gears right now?

I need more friends who play gears at this kind of time cos matchmaking blows.

I just got your friend request. I'm in the middle of a horde match right now but I'll join up with you in a little bit.

I have the achievement that unlock ramm and Kim but for they are not unlocked for me in Gears 2, I have also have not log online since I bought the game, does that have anything to do with it?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Ken Masters said:
I have the achievement that unlock ramm and Kim but for they are not unlocked for me in Gears 2, I have also have not log online since I bought the game, does that have anything to do with it?

Yeah dude that must be it cos it immediately unlocked them for me.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Ken Masters said:

yeah, go online with it, I unlocked them as soon as I popped Gears 2 in.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ken Masters said:

Yes.

Baker

Banned
Matchmaking isn't doing shit for me tonight...

I'd really like to get some Horde action going on asap, but I'll take anything I can get.

Gamertag: Forensick

Teknoman

And now for GAF's enjoyment:

Day one - Last Stand aka Wave 10 is f'in nuts.

k3t08z.jpg

2qal5r7.jpg

2rzwfif.jpg

ChrisD84

Just had my first few games of Horde online, that shit is fun :D

In one particular game we ended up getting trapped upstairs by the longshot on river, with a mass of bloodmounts and boomers all charging up the stairs at us. We managed to fight some of them off but they totally overwhelmed us in the end :lol

I'll definately be playing more of this soon.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
sorry third,aladuf, and the other guys who were going to horde it up. I have to meet the wife for dinner with her friends. :(

I was looking forward to insane :)

Bryant

got a question guys....

gears-of-war-2-20080625113836213.jpg

Who is the guy next to Cole? I have seen him in multiplayer matches, but I have no clue how to actually unlock/use him. He isnt in the character select, and I dont see him in the unlockables.

Baker

Banned
Bryant said:
got a question guys....

Who is the guy next to Cole? I have seen him in multiplayer matches, but I have no clue how to actually unlock/use him. He isnt in the character select, and I dont see him in the unlockables.

Isn't that Dizzy without the cowboy hat?

Bryant said:
got a question guys....

Why does it look they both are beign beamed in via hologram a la CNN's Presidential Election coverage? What's up with the shiny outline?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
raYne said:
Shoot the arms.

edit:
I'm almost certain it tells you to do that too. I think one of the crew yells it out.

Every death via >insert thing< in the game is easily avoided if you pay attention. The only thing close to wtf-inducing is the
Centaur vs tower
section. Even then, it's sorta obvious after you die the first time.

hmm, i specifically listened for any tips or directions and heard none. i'm not calling you a liar, but they certainly didnt say that in my play through.

and i think there are plenty of cheap deaths in the game. PLENTY. doesnt help that my "videogame logic" for solving such things as this has always been lacking (i think i come up with too many potential ways to solve my problem where as these games have only one true way that works).

StoOgE

just got through the tank scene. 90% of the tank scene was actually pretty fun. If I ever have to cross another ice lake on a tank I am just going to slit my wrists though.

Also
WHERE IN THE HOLY FUCK IS MY HAMMER OF DAWN? I BETTER BE ABLE TO REIGN FIRE ON SOME SHIT

Facism

StoOgE said:
just got through the tank scene. 90% of the tank scene was actually pretty fun. If I ever have to cross another ice lake on a tank I am just going to slit my wrists though.

Also
WHERE IN THE HOLY FUCK IS MY HAMMER OF DAWN? I BETTER BE ABLE TO REIGN FIRE ON SOME SHIT

don't worry, you'll get one eventually.

zsswimmer

Man the scene where
Dom finds Maria and eventually shoots her is probably one of the most emotional things I have experienced in a videogame.
Very sad indeed

The underground levels were absolutely breathtaking aswell.

LiK

beat Gears 2 in Solo mode with Hardcore difficulty today. not that hard so i assume coop would've been even easier. gonna play some horde later :)

SuperBonk

Oh my god I just finished my 3rd session with this game and the campaign is out in full force. I was almost breathless by the time I finished. I don't want to spoil anything so all I'll say is that I'm in full agreement with the large amount of people that have already expressed their love for the campaign.

Holy fucking shit.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is so much better than the first game. I didn't really like the first one so much but this one is truly awesome.

adizzy615

Neo Member
Its weird how much this game reminded me of platformers. Ofcourse the rift worm part, but also the part where you ride the brumak, felt like Giant Mario, just wrecking shit

Muffdraul

op_ivy said:
hmm, i specifically listened for any tips or directions and heard none. i'm not calling you a liar, but they certainly didnt say that in my play through.

They say it. I got killed in the exact same part of that battle three or four times in a row and in frustration I said "God dammit, what the fuck am I supposed to do here?!" My wife was in the room and she said
"They keep telling you, shoot the arms!"
Sure enough, I listened for it and I could hear it, but just barely. It was getting drowned out by the sound FX and music.

What really pissed me off was,
I *WAS* shooting it's fucking arms! Just not low enough. =P

Teknoman, I shouldn't have to rely on you guys being online and setting up private games and hoping you join them in order to play the god damn game. I never had to do that with Gears 1, COD4, Halo, etc, or ANY shooter to date. Simply put, the matchmaking is broken, and without a game list theres no viable way for many people to play the damn game.

StoOgE

adizzy615 said:
Its weird how much this game reminded me of platformers. Ofcourse the rift worm part, but also the part where you ride the brumak, felt like Giant Mario, just wrecking shit

Cliffy B said during interviews for Gears 1 that he viewed the game as a platform, specifically the jumping from cover to cover.

Teknoman

Wario64 said:
People who are primarily playing Horde, add me. XBL tag in my profile.

Sorry about that wingman game. For what its worth, we had some crazy avalanche kills.

Snapshot King said:
Teknoman, I shouldn't have to rely on you guys being online and setting up private games and hoping you join them in order to play the god damn game. I never had to do that with Gears 1, COD4, Halo, etc, or ANY shooter to date. Simply put, the matchmaking is broken, and without a game list theres no viable way for many people to play the damn game.

Well yeah...but in the mean time...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
So can anyone tell me how to set private slots for Private Xbox Live games? Sometimes my friend and I like to play bot matches by ourselves, but it gets really annoying when there's always someone joining my bot match. :(

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Holy crap, made it to wave 38 on Jacinto with a bunch of random people and we only had four guys.

Snapshot King said:
Yeah I've had to overhaul a decent sized chunk of my friends list with Gears 2 people because the auto matchmaking is a waste of time. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Top Bottom