• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I'm in Act 4 of the Campaign right now, and I'm not thrilled with the increased emphasis on story and adventure-y elements at all. I don't think I'll be replaying it anywhere near as much as the first game because there is just way too much dead air this time. One of the things I loved most about the original was that it was relatively lean, but that is not the case at all with this one. :/

DjangoReinhardt said:
I'm in Act 4 of the Campaign right now, and I'm not thrilled with the increased emphasis on story and adventure-y elements at all. I don't think I'll be replaying it anywhere near as much as the first game because there is just way too much dead air this time. One of the things I loved most about the original was that it was relatively lean, but that is not the case at all with this one. :/
:lol

Baker

Banned
Added Kai, Whitta, Wario, and Rstein.

Let me know if you want some Horde action all over your collective faces.

<- Forensick

jkooXL

I couldnt agree more. The combat was awesome in the first game. Running around shooting sphincters is not so awesome in the second game. Still good, just not great.

Miroku

DjangoReinhardt said:

Just push the back button and skip it all then.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
tonight's game was cool, but I had no idea where the weapons were on the new maps though, people were pulling out torque bows and hammer of dawns out of their ass for all I knew!

I really like the new modes. All of them pretty much rock, much better than Annex which kind of irritates me.

Dont like how the weapons switch round kind of randomly though, sometimes its sniper, sometimes torque, that bugs me. One of the coolest things on gridlock v1 was having the old torque versus sniper battles across the street. or even sniper versus sniper is the host set it that way - is that even possible anymore?

anyway UK guy playing with a bunch of americans at 2am. Not good for my health or my job! games gonna kill me.

I wanna get in on some horde action tomorrow.

Teknoman

kaizoku said:
tonight's game was cool, but I had no idea where the weapons were on the new maps though, people were pulling out torque bows and hammer of dawns out of their ass for all I knew!

I really like the new modes. All of them pretty much rock, much better than Annex which kind of irritates me.

Dont like how the weapons switch round kind of randomly though, sometimes its sniper, sometimes torque, that bugs me. One of the coolest things on gridlock v1 was having the old torque versus sniper battles across the street. or even sniper versus sniper is the host set it that way - is that even possible anymore?

anyway UK guy playing with a bunch of americans at 2am. Not good for my health or my job! games gonna kill me.

I wanna get in on some horde action tomorrow.

You can set it to be random or set weapon spawns.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
RSTEIN said:
My tag is RJ81 for anyone who wants to play (or have cyber >.>)

Baker said:
Added Kai, Whitta, Wario, and Rstein.

8evh3bb.gif

Dirtbag

So does anyone think that Horde mode, will be a new expected feature in online shooters in the same way we now see coop campaigns populate shooters?

I really hope these cooperative 'Grinder modes' start becoming standard after seeing how successful Horde mode is... honestly, if there wasn't horde mode, I couldn't picture myself playing much Gears MM once my friends' list switches games. Horde mode has turned this game into a keeper, and something I will look forward to getting groups together and playing well into the waning days of my 360.

Can't wait till someone implements a horde mode in a vehicle heavy shooter (ala Halo).

Chrange

Banned
Dirtbag said:
So does anyone think that Horde mode, will be a new expected feature in online shooters in the same way we now see coop campaigns populate shooters?

I really hope these cooperative 'Grinder modes' start becoming standard after seeing how successful Horde mode is... honestly, if there wasn't horde mode, I couldn't picture myself playing much Gears MM once my friends' list switches games. Horde mode has turned this game into a keeper, and something I will look forward to getting groups together and playing well into the waning days of my 360.

Can't wait till someone implements a horde mode in a vehicle heavy shooter (ala Halo).

Something similar was in GRAW, wasn't it? Holding out against hordes of terrorists or Mexicans or whoever you fought.

Domino Theory said:
So can anyone tell me how to set private slots for Private Xbox Live games? Sometimes my friend and I like to play bot matches by ourselves, but it gets really annoying when there's always someone joining my bot match. :(
Just set the match type to private Xbox live.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Chrange said:
Something similar was in GRAW, wasn't it? Holding out against hordes of terrorists or Mexicans or whoever you fought.

Hmm... kinda. There weren't really "waves." The whole thing was structured around a mission, which was just an excuse to plant a defined number of enemies around the map. They did get reinforcements after you complete certain objectives... I see what you're saying.

bill0527

Dax01 said:
How do I
kill six reavers so the COMM tower can be saved? The Dom isn't doing anything.

Jump on the guns and start shooting. You have to hit several of them in the air to take them out before the COMM gets destroyed. It doesn't take as many hits to take them out in the air. You just have to be a good shot. It took me about 6 tries before I did it.

bill0527 said:
Jump on the guns and start shooting. You have to hit several of them in the air to take them out before the COMM gets destroyed. It doesn't take as many hits to take them out in the air. You just have to be a good shot. It took me about 6 tries before I did it.
A good shot? More like luck.
Edit: Got it. Yeah, I was lucky.:lol

ijm72

Well since matchmaking takes ages to find games if anybody wants to add me for some multiplayer or horde GT: younghov72

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Finished the campaign. The last chapter was excellent, final boss battle could have been slightly more inventive.

Do the bots do anything constructive at all in Horde or are you pretty much better off playing with other people?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gary Whitta said:
Already played some great GAF Horde games tonight. This thing rocks.

Damn writing assignments keeping me from playing Gears :(. I should be free on Wednesday so if anyone wants to add me.

GT: pankaksreborn

Massive story spoilers

I think I solved the Fenix mystery: Adam Fenix was part of the group that experimented on Sires. They had found remnents of Locust and thus were experimenting to find out what they were. The Queen keeps insisting that it was the humans fault that the Locust invaded and I think this is because of their wars for Imulsion. By drilling and fighting over the oil substance, the Locust kingdom was fucked up by the Imulsion and created the lambent and thus put the Locust realm into a flux. Meanwhile, Adam Fenix knows this and takes his group to the mountain. He becomes respected or at least well know as seen by the Queen's recognition of him. He trys to tell the humans about the locust true origins and such but the wars continue. Finally: E-Day.

The Locust are sick and tired of Imulsion fucking up their kingdom so they emerge to take over the land. It is their "destiny" because they have to escape the Imulsion infected underground. So you have the humans on land fighting the Locust trying to take the land. At the same time the lambent are trying to take the Locust underground. Now, I was initially confused when I heard the "what have you done" after the credits but I think I figured it out. Adam Fenix in his transmission in Act IV speaks of destroying the last refuge "we" have to flood out the "enemy". The "we" is the locust and the "enemy" is the Lambent. He is not talking about Jacinto as being the last human refuge but the Hollow as the last Locust stronghold. He says the risks are great but they can end the war (civil war between Locust and Lambent) right now. So when Marcus and co. believe that they are helping humanity, they are actually helping the Locust in a way. Thus, Adam's "what have you done".

Now the question remains: why did the Locust try and stop the COG from sinking Jacinto? I believe they didnt want to stop them, just to stall they. They were going at their own pace sinking cities but now Marcus and Dom have sped up the process. Thats why the Locust are fighting at Jacinto: they need to control it in order sink it when they want to. When Marcus sinks it, he does strike a tremendous blow to the Locust but more importantly he destroys the Lambent. Now the Locust can focus on the humans and Gears of War 3 will, in my opinion, take place exclusively on the surface of Sera.

Also, does anyone know what the General meant when he goes "your father was right" (act v)

Median

I'd love to play multi but don't really have a lot of people to play with, if anyone's up for random games from time to time my tag is Median87.

i love this game. i love the campaign. i love horde mode. i love multiplayer. something must've happened because i played multiplayer for about an hour and a half and had no connection problems.

i love this fucking game.

Gary Whitta said:
Already played some great GAF Horde games tonight. This thing rocks.

Was that you? Anyways personally i think that map was lousy or at least we had no clue where to find a decent spot. "Day one" and um another map that i totaly forgot the name of have some excellent spots where you can hold for a long time.

Pretty much the best horde matches seem to be about finding a spot to hide and then getting a lul in the action to run out and grab some ammo or power weapons.

FrankT

Just wrapped up the campaign and what a masterpiece it has been. One of the best games of the generation without question. Haven't even touched the multi yet. Planning to beat it on ever single mode over and over again.

That end-game theory above could be spot on as well.

Ramirez

ergo said:
Anyone else pissed the shotgun is not worth more than dirt? And the slow ass matchmaking?

I've been one shot with the shotgun more times than I can count, why are people saying it's nerfed?

Scarecrow

would anyone be willing to run through a few acts on Insane difficulty with me tonight? I want to start working my way to beating it on that difficulty.

Dirtbag

Chrange said:

Something similar sure, but I think Horde mode has done it better and in my opinion the high-point of the entire gears 2 package. Not only that, but the given the high-profile nature of Gears vs. GRAW - I see GoW2 kind of setting the bar.

Hootie said:
OMG...wave 50 was epic :lol

I hate you.. not really. I hit wave 25 (Highest I've gotten) with a group of randoms yesterday on "Day One". Connection timed out. It sucked.

GT: KZ2C

Add me, I REALLY REALLY like Horde mode. REALLY.

... REALLY.

phalestine

aka iby.h
just beat it, Jesus Christ, this game is so much better then the first. the
Giant Worm
Fuckin Awesome.
I actually found the driving a lot more fun in Gears 1 than 2, thats about it, everything was gears 2 > gears 1

Hootie

Assembly Required said:
I hate you.. not really. I hit wave 25 (Highest I've gotten) with a group of randoms yesterday on "Day One". Connection timed out. It sucked.

GT: KZ2C

Add me, I REALLY REALLY like Horde mode. REALLY.

... REALLY.

I'd strongly advise you to avoid playing with me. :lol I'm pretty terrible to be honest. What really happened was I stayed hidden in that little safe spot above the arcade in Day One picking off the light infantry with my sniper/torque bow while my two friends layed down a Mauler shield on the walkway above the arcade and trapped the big guys allowing them to slowly kill them all.

bumpkin

Okay, so potentially dumb question about playing this game online... Is there any way a friend can play Horde with me online from the same console? I remember we tried this in Gears 1 for regular multiplayer and it said no dice w/o both players having Live-enabled accounts.

Top Bottom