• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Had some really bad connections tonight. Not laggy for me, but for the rest of the players in the game when I get host. And it made me host for like three or four games. Bad news. A good night of multiplayer overall though.

Freaking love Gears 2 multiplayer.

LCfiner

So I started replaying the game on hardcore co-op. A little bit more frustrating but I'm doing OK so far. Just got the the end of act 2 tonight (around 3 hours).

It really is amazing how the game propels you forward. I already finished the campaign yesterday and I'm already hooked on it again.

just one more checkpoint

just one more chapter

just one more act.

it's so seamless (like many games this gen), plows through so quickly and is so addictive that I could easily have played till 2 or 3 AM if I didn't have a 9 AM meeting tomorrow.

Brashnir

Finished the game earlier today. The
riftworm
level was definitely the high point of the game, but there weren't any real notable low points, and the sequences that followed it didn't feel in any way anticlimactic.

On the story - I don't want this to be misunderstood, so please read the explanation and don't just react to the first line - It is a great videogame story. That's not to say that it's a great story in the greater sense of the word, but for what it is, in an action-oriented, testosterone-laden game, it's great. It gives context to the action of each level, keeps the game moving forward, remains coherent throughout (which is not something that could be said for the first Gears of War, or Halo 3 for that matter) and for the most part stays out of the way.

The stuff with Dom's wife feels a bit forced, but you get an interesting level out of it in the middle of the game, so I'm ok with it, plus it sets up the ending with
Marcus and Anya
, which thankfully (mercifully?) isn't overplayed.

Other than that minor failing, the context of all the other story elements feel right and make sense in the world the game occupies. Despite the fact that the game jumps from location to location, the generally short cutscenes tie everything together so that it feels like one contiguous journey. A whole, whole lot of shooters (and games in general) completely fall apart when held to this test, and it's a testament to the writers of this game that this one holds up, even with all the comically over-the-top shit going on in every single level. I can't remember a single moment in the game when I wondered what I was supposed to be doing, and why.

It's not going to win any awards, but as a framework for this kind of game, it'd be hard to do much better.

As for the game itself, It's hard to say much of anything that hasn't already been said. I don't know how the hell they're going to top this in Gears 3, that's for sure. They'll have to have us blowing up the entire planet to outdo the shit that went on in this game. I liked the vehicle sequences in this one far better than the first, and thought maybe they over-corrected the difficulty of the final boss. Raam in Gears 1 was too hard, and this one is way too easy.

I thought it was really strange that one of the earliest demod levels ended up being right near the end of the game, but it sort of makes sense in that the level shows a lot of cool stuff which starts off looking a lot like Gears 1, and transitions in the end to the crazy kind of stuff this game does that makes it stand out. Everything after that level felt like a reward more than a challenge, which was definitely fun, but I'm not sure if I would have done it the same way, given the choice.

Overall, this has leapt to the top of my personal GOTY list. Gears 1 wasn't my GOTY in 06, and I wasn't expecting this one to be this year, but kudos to Cliff and all the Epic team. You really hit it out of the park this time.

Saren is Bad said:
Massive story spoilers

I think I solved the Fenix mystery: Adam Fenix was part of the group that experimented on Sires. They had found remnents of Locust and thus were experimenting to find out what they were. The Queen keeps insisting that it was the humans fault that the Locust invaded and I think this is because of their wars for Imulsion. By drilling and fighting over the oil substance, the Locust kingdom was fucked up by the Imulsion and created the lambent and thus put the Locust realm into a flux. Meanwhile, Adam Fenix knows this and takes his group to the mountain. He becomes respected or at least well know as seen by the Queen's recognition of him. He trys to tell the humans about the locust true origins and such but the wars continue. Finally: E-Day.

The Locust are sick and tired of Imulsion fucking up their kingdom so they emerge to take over the land. It is their "destiny" because they have to escape the Imulsion infected underground. So you have the humans on land fighting the Locust trying to take the land. At the same time the lambent are trying to take the Locust underground. Now, I was initially confused when I heard the "what have you done" after the credits but I think I figured it out. Adam Fenix in his transmission in Act IV speaks of destroying the last refuge "we" have to flood out the "enemy". The "we" is the locust and the "enemy" is the Lambent. He is not talking about Jacinto as being the last human refuge but the Hollow as the last Locust stronghold. He says the risks are great but they can end the war (civil war between Locust and Lambent) right now. So when Marcus and co. believe that they are helping humanity, they are actually helping the Locust in a way. Thus, Adam's "what have you done".

Now the question remains: why did the Locust try and stop the COG from sinking Jacinto? I believe they didnt want to stop them, just to stall they. They were going at their own pace sinking cities but now Marcus and Dom have sped up the process. Thats why the Locust are fighting at Jacinto: they need to control it in order sink it when they want to. When Marcus sinks it, he does strike a tremendous blow to the Locust but more importantly he destroys the Lambent. Now the Locust can focus on the humans and Gears of War 3 will, in my opinion, take place exclusively on the surface of Sera.

Also, does anyone know what the General meant when he goes "your father was right" (act v)
I think you hit the nail on the head.

I just finished the game...
HOLY SHIT! What Adam Fenix says at the end... CAN'T WAIT for Gears 3.

Now, onto multiplayer, co-op, and horde!:D :D

Oh, and Gears 2 is definitely GOTY 2008.

dork

Banned
Finding a game is like pulling teeth

we have 5 people, just sitting in a room for about 20 minutes and it wont find a game

Thursday night I played Resistance 2 marathon style all the way through the single player

Friday night I played Gears of war 2 marathon style all the way to the last hour (at which points I passed out on the couch at 5am) woke up and finish it.

It's just so laughable to even compare the two. Yeah I'm doing it, what's up.

Gears 2 nails "the last 10%" of polish that so many games are missing these days. It's so hard to grasp just how difficult that last coat of love and polish takes when making a game unless you've been there to see it. When it's 4 am and you get that bug report about a fucking texture flickering over in that corner that "wtf no one's even going to see that?!". It's not fun.

My hats off to you Epic. /Respect

flarkminator said:
Thursday night I played Resistance 2 marathon style all the way through the single player

Friday night I played Gears of war 2 marathon style all the way to the last hour (at which points I passed out on the couch at 5am) woke up and finish it.

Gears 2 nails "the last 10%" of polish that so many games are missing these days. It's so hard to grasp just how difficult that last coat of love and polish takes when making a game unless you've been there to see it. When it's 4 am and you get that bug report about a fucking texture flickering over in that corner that "wtf no one's even going to see that?!". It's not fun.

:lol

dork

Banned
I just remembered why i hated this game multiplayer. All the game is, is everyone running towards the boomshot or mortar. And it makes everything else pointless, if the other team gets the boomshot you might as well put your controller down. Those stupid guns shouldnt even be in multiplayer. They take no skill, and ruin deathmatch,

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Saren is Bad said:
Massive story spoilers

I think I solved the Fenix mystery: Adam Fenix was part of the group that experimented on Sires. They had found remnents of Locust and thus were experimenting to find out what they were. The Queen keeps insisting that it was the humans fault that the Locust invaded and I think this is because of their wars for Imulsion. By drilling and fighting over the oil substance, the Locust kingdom was fucked up by the Imulsion and created the lambent and thus put the Locust realm into a flux. Meanwhile, Adam Fenix knows this and takes his group to the mountain. He becomes respected or at least well know as seen by the Queen's recognition of him. He trys to tell the humans about the locust true origins and such but the wars continue. Finally: E-Day.

The Locust are sick and tired of Imulsion fucking up their kingdom so they emerge to take over the land. It is their "destiny" because they have to escape the Imulsion infected underground. So you have the humans on land fighting the Locust trying to take the land. At the same time the lambent are trying to take the Locust underground. Now, I was initially confused when I heard the "what have you done" after the credits but I think I figured it out. Adam Fenix in his transmission in Act IV speaks of destroying the last refuge "we" have to flood out the "enemy". The "we" is the locust and the "enemy" is the Lambent. He is not talking about Jacinto as being the last human refuge but the Hollow as the last Locust stronghold. He says the risks are great but they can end the war (civil war between Locust and Lambent) right now. So when Marcus and co. believe that they are helping humanity, they are actually helping the Locust in a way. Thus, Adam's "what have you done".

Now the question remains: why did the Locust try and stop the COG from sinking Jacinto? I believe they didnt want to stop them, just to stall they. They were going at their own pace sinking cities but now Marcus and Dom have sped up the process. Thats why the Locust are fighting at Jacinto: they need to control it in order sink it when they want to. When Marcus sinks it, he does strike a tremendous blow to the Locust but more importantly he destroys the Lambent. Now the Locust can focus on the humans and Gears of War 3 will, in my opinion, take place exclusively on the surface of Sera.

Also, does anyone know what the General meant when he goes "your father was right" (act v)

Nailed it. This seems most plausible. And I can see
Marcus and Anya's wedding taking place only to be disrupted by the Locust crashing the party
as the opening to Gears of War 3.

TAOS said:
Just set the match type to private Xbox live.

:lol Did you not read my post at all? I'm already in Private Xbox Live (how else could I play with bots), but I don't want it to be joinable at all.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Good Horde games tonight, I had to leave cause my eyes were starting to hurt from playing like 4 hours straight D=

Wario64 said:
Good Horde games tonight, I had to leave cause my eyes were starting to hurt from playing like 4 hours straight D=

I feel ya, especially with you having to drag our dead bodies along all the time.:lol

Petrie

Banned
I'm down to play well, just about anything. Horde would be preferable though. GT: PetriesLastWord. Will be waiting/watching Big Bang Theory in the meantime.

Ramirez

dork said:
I just remembered why i hated this game multiplayer. All the game is, is everyone running towards the boomshot or mortar. And it makes everything else pointless, if the other team gets the boomshot you might as well put your controller down. Those stupid guns shouldnt even be in multiplayer. They take no skill, and ruin deathmatch,

Boomshot actually takes a moderate amount of skill, unlike most rocket launchers in games.

outsidah

rcua1884 said:
Ask the Mauler!

mauler.jpg

Scarecrow

Scarecrow said:
would anyone be willing to run through a few acts on Insane difficulty with me tonight? I want to start working my way to beating it on that difficulty.
I'd figure I'd try to ask this again. Anyone willing to run through some Co-op campaign on insane difficulty?

Darkman M

Just beat the game, the last act was epic in every since of the word. Loved how the action never let up once it got started kudos to epic! Anyways now im ready to jump into Online so feel free to add me gears players.

gamertag: GrahfID

Sectus

Domino Theory said:
So can anyone tell me how to set private slots for Private Xbox Live games? Sometimes my friend and I like to play bot matches by ourselves, but it gets really annoying when there's always someone joining my bot match. :(
How are people able to join private matches at all? I thought they were completely invite only and friends only.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Sectus said:
How are people able to join private matches at all? I thought they were completely invite only and friends only.

It is friends only, but I want it invite only. I usually have one other friend with me and we just want to play ourselves with 8 other bots but a lot of my friends just randomly join, taking the place of a bot.

Sectus

Domino Theory said:
It is friends only, but I want it invite only. I usually have one other friend with me and we just want to play ourselves with 8 other bots but a lot of my friends just randomly join, taking the place of a bot.
Gah. The only solution I can think of then is to remove those friends because you're just being mean to them :p

I just beat the game for the first time (Hardcore difficulty). A couple of thoughts about the campaign (because I know Cliff is out there):

-I encountered lots of glitches, some game ending, due to problems with enemy spawning and partner AI, much bigger problem for me in this game than the original, please patch this Epic
-That said, Dom and other squadmates were not a burden 95% of the time (unlike Gears 1), which was great
-Graphics were amazing as expected, the sound and music were solid
-Vehicle segments weren't really my thing, but they didn't drag down the experience like in Gears 1
-Only things that actually killed me were "one hit kill" things like torque bows, bloodmounts, falling columns during a lame boss fight
-One hit kills are not cool
-Game length felt about right
-Storytelling was not bad, I actually enjoyed finding the collectibles for little bits of info (COG tags with a purpose!) and seeing things only hinted at in Gears 1 get fleshed out, raised some new questions too
-The "transition" that took place when
you find Maria
was the highlight of the game's storytelling for me
-Am I the only one who thought the face on the computer screens looked like Dennis Dyack?
-"Horsey" is the new "Juice"
-All in all, Gears 2 campaign > Gears 1 campaign

Well, now I'll try multiplayer. I'm excited as this game's achievements seem like they won't negatively impact online multiplayer this time around!

Aladuf

Banned
The matches tonight were pretty fucking great. When I went 18-2 on River/Execution earlier it was godly. :lol And, the seemingly unstoppable team of myself and ThirdEngine continued to roll over everyone tonight.. we need some good GAF challenges in Wingman. ;)

Also, we quickly found out tonight that Day One is an awesome map for Horde, we stayed up above the theater the whole time and actually very easily made it to round 17 on Insane before we lost a teammate and decided to get back to matchmaking. Horde is seriously addicting as hell, after beating it last night we just had to head right back into it tonight.

Aladuf

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
On matchmaking , how exactly do you rank up?

By wins? Points or kills?
It seems a lot of people have been wondering that but nobody seems to know for sure. I'm at rank 3 and the only time I've ranked up has been after winning Wingman matches.

Flunkie

Banned
dork said:
flunkie is my friend and saves my life in gears now
Hah. ;)

Aladuf said:
The matches tonight were pretty fucking great. When I went 18-2 on River/Execution earlier it was godly. :lol And, the seemingly unstoppable team of myself and ThirdEngine continued to roll over everyone tonight.. we need some good GAF challenges in Wingman. ;)

Also, we quickly found out tonight that Day One is an awesome map for Horde, we stayed up above the theater the whole time and actually very easily made it to round 17 on Insane before we lost a teammate and decided to get back to matchmaking. Horde is seriously addicting as hell, after beating it last night we just had to head right back into it tonight.
I'm still waiting for Third to post his pic. I need to see that shit! :lol You don't know how much I was laughing while it was happening.

Ledsen

Mr Vociferous said:

eh... he's right. There's way less core gameplay (aka stop-and-pop) in GoW2 compared to the first. I was thinking the same thing, the set pieces are insanely amazing the first time through, but when replaying the game all those slow sections with special gameplay elements will become quite boring.

Momar

aka Ryder
Saren is Bad said:
Massive story spoilers

If Adam Fenix identifies with the Locus as "we", and he's talking about how "they" can win the war, why on earth would he be angry at the end? If what you're saying is true, he should be happy because his son did what he had recommended be done.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Is this multiplayer less painful now compared to last couple of days? Haven't been online today.
Are you guys joining matches quickly?

newsguy

flarkminator said:

I won't lie, while I don't work in the industry I can see exactly what you mean by this. I haven't beaten either game yet, but I've put a ton of time into both since I got them and Gears 2 just feels right. It's not to say R2 is a bad game cause it isn't, and some of the set pieces are awesome, but if I had to choose one game in which I must play a badass who must kill non-human shit, it's gotta be Gears.

Jazzy Network said:
Just added a bunch of you. Gamertag: Jazzy Jeff V2K if you wanna horde it up.

request sent, feel free to add me as well, horde is a blast when people dont rendomly drop.

Gamertag = george21000

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, Wingman matchmakes insanely fast with a partner already with you. Now I just need to stop sucking at it.

Tonight was epic. Getting to 17 on Insane went a lot smoother than I expected. Aladuf and I challenge anyone to a Wingman match to take on our two-man killing machine. I'm hoping for Wednesday's matches we can get eight other GAFfers to do just that. But now on to the good stuff...

Flunkie posted photos from this match earlier, but here's another look of the glitch we came across while playing Day One:

2.jpg

Last but not least, I don't know if it was lag or getting caught in a wallbounce, but here's the shot Flunkie:

3-1.jpg

:lol

Moar Gears madness tomorrow.

S1kkZ

some complaints about gears 2, some stuff i really liked and stuff i want in gears 3:

-the brumaks and corpers feel to weak this time. in gears 1 they were a real threat (at least it seemed so). in gears 2 they are push overs.
-the maria segment: awesome. it really worked for me.
- no vehicle sequences in gears 3, please! (the brumak one was fun but the rest...)
-more branching paths, like in metal slug (at least one in every level)
-what are the flood doing in gears 2? they are as annoying here as they are in halo.
-more water based levels in gears 3 please (the water looks so good, you need to do more with that)
-more war journals in gears 3 please (audio recordings, little videos), its really motivating to find that stuff in gears 2
-thank you for not bringing back the berserker and the kryll
-more unlockables for the single player! new weapon skins, new outfits, cheats, bonus levels (play as a locust)...
-get rid of the white "flashes" that happen when you turn the camera
-snow/ice levels, lava levels, forest levels in gears 3 please
-have you seen the clone wars movie? it sucked but there was a sequenze where they were climbing a steep mountain while fighting. would be cool to climb up a mountain in gears 3 while a fucking huge locust beast breaks through the mountain (sorry, english is not my first language)
-dual chainsaw please
-no 4 player co-op in campaign please, a lot of people want it but i sont think it would work

Xevren

Sent out some friend's requests, hopefully see some of you online. If anyone wants to add me my gamertag is Xevren11. Up for anything really, love horde and I would probably like multiplayer more if I had some people to play with. Playing with randoms is getting pretty annoying.

Top Bottom