• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Shoogoo

bumpkin said:
Okay, so potentially dumb question about playing this game online... Is there any way a friend can play Horde with me online from the same console? I remember we tried this in Gears 1 for regular multiplayer and it said no dice w/o both players having Live-enabled accounts.

You can play in private with a guest, but to go on public matches you need 2 gold subs.

Chinner

Banned
S1kkZ said:
cliff b. reads this thread? good, here are some complaints about gears 2, some stuff i really liked and stuff i want in gears 3:

-the brumaks and corpers feel to weak this time. in gears 1 they were a real threat (at least it seemed so). in gears 2 they are push overs.
-the maria segment: awesome. it really worked for me.
- no vehicle sequences in gears 3, please! (the brumak one was fun but the rest...)
-more branching paths, like in metal slug (at least one in every level)
-what are the flood doing in gears 2? they are as annoying here as they are in halo.
-more water based levels in gears 3 please (the water looks so good, you need to do more with that)
-more war journals in gears 3 please (audio recordings, little videos), its really motivating to find that stuff in gears 2
-thank you for not bringing back the berserker and the kryll
-more unlockables for the single player! new weapon skins, new outfits, cheats, bonus levels (play as a locust)...
-get rid of the white "flashes" that happen when you turn the camera
-snow/ice levels, lava levels, forest levels in gears 3 please
-have you seen the clone wars movie? it sucked but there was a sequenze where they were climbing a steep mountain while fighting. would be cool to climb up a mountain in gears 3 while a fucking huge locust beast breaks through the mountain (sorry, english is not my first language)
-dual chainsaw please
-no 4 player co-op in campaign please, a lot of people want it but i sont think it would work
Hi, I work at Epic and we're using your list of suggestions specifically to make Gears of War 3 even better! We're all terrible game designers so we're glad we have you! To thank you we'll shove your name in the credits somewhere. We'll find a spot: That shit is huge.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Hello GAF,

I hated Gears of War, but thanks to incredible hype wherever I turn and British Supermarket Loss Leaders I jumped in. I played halfway through chapter two in Co-Op with my girlfriend. So far it has been awesome fun, with almost every complaint from the first game gone or improved to the point where I don't notice it.

Hooray!

S1kkZ

Chinner said:
Hi, I work at Epic and we're using your list of suggestions specifically to make Gears of War 3 even better! We're all terrible game designers so we're glad we have you! To thank you we'll shove your name in the credits somewhere. We'll find a spot: That shit is huge.

are you always such a d...?
these are things I would like to see in gears 3, whats wrong with that?
do you really think i want to tell the guys at epic how to make their job?
of course not.
but yeah, only game designers should be allowed to criticise a game, because epic is clearly not into customer feedback.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Chinner said:

Dude, I actually think that's a pretty good list for Epic to think/talk about if Cliffy B reads it or whatever. I'm sure some of the developers are interested in feedback to keep improving on the GoW-series. Not to say that they'll print that list out exaclty as it is, but at least they'll get some impressions on what people think.

Chinner

Banned
ItsInMyVeins said:
Dude, I actually think that's a pretty good list for Epic to think/talk about if Cliffy B reads it or whatever. I'm sure some of the developers are interested in feedback to keep improving on the GoW-series.
Yeah, there are some good suggestions. When I read his post it just felt like he was arrogant, like, "Cliffy B reads dis thread? Good!". Like it was important for CliffyB to see it because of his super awesome suggestions. Anyway, perhaps my post went overboard, but alas I am not editing it.

S1kkZ

Chinner said:
Yeah, there are some good suggestions. When I read his post it just felt like he was arrogant, like, "Cliffy B reads dis thread? Good!". Like it was important for CliffyB to see it because of his super awesome suggestions. Anyway, perhaps my post went overboard, but alas I am not editing it.

that wasnt my intention, i was surprised that a guy from epic would read neogaf or post here.

DoomGyver

My take on Gears 2 after playing the shit out of it this weekend (finished insane campaign/ completed 50 waves of horde/ played about 5 hours of multiplayer)

Campaign:
pros
I felt the length of the game was about right
Graphics. awesome.
Story was better than the first, had a bit more depth.
It's nice that the AI can now revive you

Cons
centar tank + frozen lake = retarded, reminded me of Halo3, oh yes.. I went there.
the skorge pillars are fixed, I swear I would roll to the side and still get pancaked.
When either cole or baird decided to go all rogue and take on 10 palace guards and 2 maulers by themselves, and then get downed. Seriously, I shouldn't have to revive the dumbass AI. Yes if they bleed out on insane you have to restart the checkpoint. dumb dumb dumb.

Campaign Glitches: (system link co-op)
Playing co-op, many times we would load a checkpoint only to find ourselves already bleeding out WtF?
During the skorge fight I long jumped crossed the arena twice while jumping over cover, which completely fucked me over. (Gorgon pistol on insane, nuf said)
Even though we were on system link, many times we would load at different paces, which lead the cutscenes to play off cue.
I finished insane, and the gamerpic you unlock for completing the game on insane is available in the gamerpic section, but is transparent? why the fuck would I want an invisible gamerpic? :lol Happened to me and my co-op buddy.
For some odd reason, it seemed as if Marcus would down an energy drink and be able to roadie run at 1.5x speed than normal. Reloading the checkpoint would fix this
I'm sure there are many many more, but after awhile I just started to ignore them, Who the fuck tested this game epic? Lab monkeys, thats who.

Horde: fucking awesome, most fun I've had online with my friends in a long time.

Multiplayer:
Let me choose to search for what gametype I want, I don't want to go into multiplayer wanting to play execution and find myself joining other people who only want to play warzone. Separate it PLEASE. (COD4 style)

Chainsaw is way too godly, it should be near impossible to chainsaw someone when you're getting shot. This needs to be fixed.

Smokes explosive radius should be reduced, or make it a pickup instead of a starting weapon.

Shotgun is still random

Shoogoo

Full Recovery said:
My take on Gears 2 after playing the shit out of it this weekend (finished insane campaign/ completed 50 waves of horde/ played about 5 hours of multiplayer)

Which map did you complete horde on?

painey

stuck in the cave
drive off a cliff, power goes out, all of a sudden theres 3 corpers but i blow up almost instantly, no idea what to do

painey said:
stuck in the cave
drive off a cliff, power goes out, all of a sudden theres 3 corpers but i blow up almost instantly, no idea what to do
shoot the right one, then the middle one, then the left one.

broony

painey said:
stuck in the cave

They have their "Fingers" over their faces which will deflect your shots back at you and blow you up. Wait for them to lift their fingers then shoot them in the face.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just had a really good public horde game in which we made it to wave 20. a relief after all the shitty laggy or droppy or split-up-and-get-killedy games i've had tonight

I worry about the problems that Gears 2 has had since its launch. It might well be that the problem lies in the netcode, although given that people are now starting to report better results I wonder if the problem is lying with the XBL side of things. I hope that this doesn't mean;

a) The NXE launch is going to be a total shitfest
b) We're going to have the same problems we had last year when all those new 360s connected to Live after Xmas

S1kkZ said:
some complaints about gears 2, some stuff i really liked and stuff i want in gears 3:

-Fuck no. I actually think there's too many in Gears 2. I cringe whenever they come up.

-what are the flood doing in gears 2? they are as annoying here as they are in halo.

- At first I thought you were being sarcastic. But you're not. Those enemies care cool if you don't figure out their design flaw, and they're part of the storyline.

- For variety's sake, one or two Beserkers wouldn't hurt.

- Something is wrong with your TV:lol

-no 4 player co-op in campaign please, a lot of people want it but i sont think it would work

- Because you know Epic can't design the game to balance differently with four-players if they chose to go that route...

Seriously, worst post ever.

Halvie

Banned
S1kkZ said:
some complaints about gears 2, some stuff i really liked and stuff i want in gears 3:

-the brumaks and corpers feel to weak this time. in gears 1 they were a real threat (at least it seemed so). in gears 2 they are push overs.
-the maria segment: awesome. it really worked for me.
- no vehicle sequences in gears 3, please! (the brumak one was fun but the rest...)
-more water based levels in gears 3 please (the water looks so good, you need to do more with that)
-more war journals in gears 3 please (audio recordings, little videos), its really motivating to find that stuff in gears 2
-more unlockables for the single player! new weapon skins, new outfits, cheats, bonus levels (play as a locust)...
-snow/ice levels, lava levels, forest levels in gears 3 please
-have you seen the clone wars movie? it sucked but there was a sequenze where they were climbing a steep mountain while fighting. would be cool to climb up a mountain in gears 3 while a fucking huge locust beast breaks through the mountain (sorry, english is not my first language)
-dual chainsaw please

You shouldn't have edited it...the guy was being a prick.

Sean

Banned
S1kkZ said:

If anything I would say Gears 2 has proven the gameplay would hold up well with 4 players. There was a lot of times when you were with the whole squad and it worked perfectly fine IMO.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Can someone list the 15 weapons for the achievement? I completed hardcore last night and am at 14/15. I have no idea which weapon I haven't used yet.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LunaticPuma said:
Can someone list the 15 weapons for the achievement? I completed hardcore last night and am at 14/15. I have no idea which weapon I haven't used yet.

1. Gorgon Pistol (Locust)
2. Snub Pistol (COG)
3. Boltok Pistol (Rapid-Fire)
4. Hammerburst
5. Lancer
6. Boomshot
7. Shotgun
8. Hammer of Dawn
9. Longshot Sniper Rifle
10. Torque Bow
11. Mortar Launcher
12. Mulcher Chain-gun
13. Scorcher Flamethrower
14. Frag Grenade
15. Ink Grenade

Beserker's were great fun but the problem was they've made them a showpiece for the hammer of dawn. I'd like to see them back but only if they could be killed by regular gunfire, albeit a fuckton of regular gunfire. Would be like fighting a Boomer on steroids.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm not experienced in Gears multi in any way so maybe I'm off the mark here, but don't the upgraded smoke nades kinda... break the game? I mean it's basically a free kill because the opponent is down for a moment and you can let loose. I had a couple of koth matches yesterday and they quickly devolved into smoke fests.

campaign co-op + horde is where my fun is

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Thanks Darunia. I'm either missing the ink grenade or a pistol kill.

What's the best way to differentiate between grenades? I can never really tell what's on the ground or what I have in inventory. Can you carry more than 1 type of grenade?

kinggroin

Banned
Played up to the
leviathan
boss, and I gotta say, this game has already provided me three of the most memorable set pieces/scenarios in a game this generation so far.

I'm wondering though, anyone else feel like this is Contra 4 in 3D? I mean from the insane bosses, to the alien-like enemies and set-pieces (especially the variety in scenarios from one to the next). It really does feel like a fully realized Contra game in 3d (the two-player setup just adds to it).

Anyway, great game. Definitely the best 3rd person action/shooter this generation IMO.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm not neccesarily interested in more branching parts/splitting up the squad. The way it is implemented right now is pretty good and I like the way it is presented every now and then. When Delta is reunited it's always kinda relieving :). What I would be interested in, and was kinda expecting in Gears 2 since (if I recall correctly) it was mentioned a couple of times in interviews - but I'm not sure on that one): less linearity in locations. I think it could be nice if every now and then, when the game places you in more open locations (cities, forests, big caves, whatever) the game would present you with a couple of routes depending on your preferences/weapon set. Sneak around a block of buildings, charge in with chainsaws revving, or make your way to a rooftop building and shell the fuck out of the Locust with mortars death from above style.

A break from the corridor-to-corridor, confined-area shooting would definitely work for me every now and then. I'm even fine with it if it is presented as a couple of options the way the branching parts work: do you want to a) go stealth, b) go aggressive or c) try to mortar? Try to save pinpointed Gears first so they can assist, try to secure the Raven first, or deal with the incoming Brumaks first? Something like that. Replay value would increase too if the consequences are small and do not influence the story beyond the Act.

Gears 1 came somewhat close to it with the battle against the Locust at the stranded outpost after you acquire the vehicle. There's a couple of ways of doing it and I really liked that part. With an all-out war waged out there in Gears 2 I kinda expected a more open world. It was a little disappointing to find out that the big war when visually present in Gears is usually just decorum, a set piece you watch as an observer.

Doesn't change the fact that Gears 2 is balls to the wall awesome, and in presentation, cinematics and sheer blockbuster moments a massive improvement with regards to its predecessor. If there would be one thing I'd like to see in Gears 3 it would be more choices to be made in bigger locations. Maybe it's all the choices to be made in Fallout 3 and Mass Effect that is getting to me :).

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Thirdengine and aladuf are indeed a formidable duo. Give the rest of us sometime to get to know the maps though! Last night was my first time on the maps and had no idea where weapons were!

I left in the end cos it was 2am and you guys looked like you were waiting to get a horde match going and needed people to leave.

Double D

I'm at the centaur vehicle section. What act am I on? I remember seeing something about the end of Act 4 being epic, and I want to make sure I didn't see it already. I mean the
worm
was cool and all, but I'm hoping that's not the big deal that I hear everyone raving about.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
still on the lookout for more european gaffers to add to my friends list:

gamertag - kaizoku7

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I don't know if this is old news or not... but at the Epic forums they're saying that they're working with MS to fix the party system (i.e. slow matchmaking).

Also: Why do we have to wait 20 seconds after a match before we can exit?

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
I don't know if this is old news or not... but at the Epic forums they're saying that they're working with MS to fix the party system (i.e. slow matchmaking).

Damn, there was relevant news on the Epic forums?! I looked over there a few days ago because I wanted to see what I thought was going to be the massive splooge fest over Gears 2 but instead everybody there seems to fucking hate the game. I got some good laughs out of reading some of their shit.

Chinner

Banned
RSTEIN said:

link?

Zezboob

RSTEIN said:
For people to insult you, doesn't it make sense to you ?

That's for this same good reason that there is no option to automatically mute the opponent team, or even a quick mute option à la Halo.

Darkman M

Playing with bots on insane, is alot better then i thought it would be, trying to learn the maps before i play any public online matches.

Baker

Banned
Sorry about ditching out on Horde last night guys. I hit some glitch that had me run warping at 2x speed, couldn't pick up items, chainsaw enemies, or even shoot them (bullets would come out of my gun, but the clip wouldn't decrease).

It wouldn't let me jump right back in so I ended up playing Insane coop with my buddy who just got his internet back up.

Aladuf said:
Damn, there was relevant news on the Epic forums?! I looked over there a few days ago because I wanted to see what I thought was going to be the massive splooge fest over Gears 2 but instead everybody there seems to fucking hate the game. I got some good laughs out of reading some of their shit.
Yeah, same here. There was sooo much complaining.

SMZC

I haven't picked this game up yet because my 360 died on me. I was wondering if it still has bullet lag like GOW1, or is the hit-detection like in COD4, Halo 3, etc?

X26

Banned
RSTEIN said:

Yea it's stupid, you also have to wait to cancel matchmaking, the hell?

Chinner

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Sorry, don't have a link. Just heard about it. Go to the Epic Forums. A community manager posted a list of known issues that they're working on.
I C
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=633678
Q: Slow Matchmaking – Why does it take so long for matchmaking to find me a game?
A: This is an issue that’s affecting some folks, and Epic and Microsoft are both looking into it. I'll let you know more details as I have them.
So erm, who wants to bet we'll get this patch before the Castle Crashers patch?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Question:

Does anyone know why at the end of the credits it mentions the Windows and Windows Vista trademarks?

No, I'm not joking. They are definitely there.

Baker

Banned
SMZC said:
I haven't picked this game up yet because my 360 died on me. I was wondering if it still has bullet lag like GOW1, or is the hit-detection like in COD4, Halo 3, etc?

The bullet lag seems far improved. On the other hand, though, the overall package is a lot glitchier.

The game is great and all, but just playing last night:

Campaign:
- Got stuck in cover twice and it wouldn't let me roll out (game decided it treat it like an invisible wall) -> dead
- Voice chat stopped working in coop
- AI stuck himself in front of a ladder so I couldn't climb up

Horde
- The crap I wrote on the last page

Matchmaking
- Ended up having to add like 12 gaffers because I was in the Searching menu for way over ten minutes at the beginning of the night.

Top Bottom