• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Baker

Banned
LunaticPuma said:
Question:

Does anyone know why at the end of the credits it mentions the Windows and Windows Vista trademarks?

No, I'm not joking. They are definitely there.

Have something to do with UE3?

I also found it weird that the name Marcus Fenix was in the trademark list, but none of the other characters. I know he's the main character and all, but you'd think Dom and maybe a couple others would be important enough.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
SMZC said:
I haven't picked this game up yet because my 360 died on me. I was wondering if it still has bullet lag like GOW1, or is the hit-detection like in COD4, Halo 3, etc?

only played a few games but the bullet lag was much improved in the ones I played.

I remember the old shoot the wall and see when the damage appears test. Did it last night and it was pretty instant.

The shotgun is severely reduced in accuracy and power though so sometimes you will be shooting someone, think you should be hitting them but you dont, suppose you could call that familiar by now. No doubt bullet lag does come into play as well sometimes.

The new modes are fuck-awesome. The new matchmaking, not so much.

GuessWho

oh wow, Act 3 chapter 5 the
fish boss fight was intense but incredibly buggy
. That was an unpolished mess. My friend (co-op) and I kept floating around, machine guns that won't stop firing, horrible flicker-walking animation. I don't know what happened there.

Darklord

Banned
FFS I keep getting disconnected from XBL.

I also found a really bad bug in horde. My guy shielded himself from one of those big locusts with the mace and shield(I forget its name) and at the same time my guy did the animation, the locust died and the round ended. Next round my guy was stuck cowering like a pussy until finally 3 rounds later I was killed and respawned.

Edit: I can't sign into live now. Is it just me or everyone?

Cheech

Darklord said:
FFS I keep getting disconnected from XBL.

This has been happening to me since the Monday downtime a few weeks back. I'm hoping it will resolve itself once NXE drops.

Gears 2 is a great time, but I do wish they'd implemented a points/XP system. Otherwise, the game is perfect, I'll certainly get my money's worth out of this one.

Just finished the game this morning. I enjoyed it much more than the first one. The best part is that the multiplayer really shines. I'm going to be playing Horde for at least a year.

I just had a game of complete red lag everyone was skipping around walking into walls, at one point I fell out of the map, and I'm not allowed to fucking quit, what the fuck is this shit?

Jeff-DSA

I finished all 50 waves last night with some buddies and that was a great time. It's crazy how ruthless they get in the final 3-4 waves.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
xxjuicesxx said:
I just had a game of complete red lag everyone was skipping around walking into walls, at one point I fell out of the map, and I'm not allowed to fucking quit, what the fuck is this shit?

Had one of those yesterday.

Just go back to the dashboard, if you catch a game like that.

My brothers get an Invalid coder error when trying to download the maps. Does anyone know the procedure on what to to next when this happens?

Thanks

I was never a fan of the first gears, I just stopped playing half way through and never got round to finishing. it just never clicked.

but this sequel, wow loved it from start to finish. gameplay just felt so good, so many varied and beautiful places to see, and some great surprises. loved the
worm level and also the brumak riding where you have a great feeling of power destroying everything instead of being battled to death

afterwards after finishing GOW2, I went back to the original gears of war and really enjoyed it. so I plan on finishing it this time. Glad I never traded it in (its a collector edition too)

only confusing bit was
wasnt obvious why he killed maria, she looked really messed up but just killing her 15 seconds after being reunited? was she beyond help, coz she looked really messed up but at least alive

cleveridea said:
I was never a fan of the first gears, I just stopped playing half way through and never got round to finishing. it just never clicked.

but this sequel, wow loved it from start to finish. gameplay just felt so good, so many varied and beautiful places to see, and some great surprises. loved the
worm level and also the brumak riding where you have a great feeling of power destroying everything instead of being battled to death

afterwards after finishing GOW2, I went back to the original gears of war and really enjoyed it. so I plan on finishing it this time. Glad I never traded it in (its a collector edition too)

only confusing bit was
wasnt obvious why he killed maria, she looked really messed up but just killing her 15 seconds after being reunited? was she beyond help, coz she looked really messed up but at least alive
she would have been fucked up mentally forever

Baker

Banned
cleveridea said:
only confusing bit was

Along with what GhostRidah just said, they also saw
what it did to Tai. If it could take down a supposedly indestructible guy like that, imagine how much internal anguish must really be going on.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
cleveridea said:
only confusing bit was

Not hot. Would not hit. You know what to do.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kobashi100 said:
My brothers get an Invalid coder error when trying to download the maps. Does anyone know the procedure on what to to next when this happens?

Thanks

They're talking about this issue over at Epic's GoW2 forum (plus codes for lancer, hammberbust, etc). I would go over there and see what they're saying.

Stayed up too late last night playing Horde. Got to wave 36 on Day One with just three of us, it was nuts. Had to eventually stop because my eyes were tired and my hands hurt, otherwise I would have played all night.

I'm loving the mortar; once you develop an instinctual sense for how to range it, laying down massive fields of withering fire is so much fun, especially if you remember to active reload for the damage boost.

On one of the 30+ waves last night, both my buddies got stomped and it came down to me and a single surviving Kantus. We wound up in a chainsaw clash with the other two players cheering me on as I spammed the B button, and I eventually cut the sucker down to win the day. Exhiliration TOTAL.

Ugh, as if the GOTY conversation wasn't already going to be difficult enough...

Sectus

SMZC said:
I haven't picked this game up yet because my 360 died on me. I was wondering if it still has bullet lag like GOW1, or is the hit-detection like in COD4, Halo 3, etc?
Hit detection is similar to CoD 4 and Halo 3 thankfully.

It is far from perfect though. If you've got a high ping you will notice certain actions will leave you at a big disadvantage compared to other players who have a low ping (especially the host who has none), and you can't make sure to always play with people in your region. Another bigger problem is that the host is selected at random, so sometimes you'll get into a game which is practically unplayable. That's made even more frustrating considering how long it takes to get into a game.

Gav

Finished it last night over XBL. Started it Friday night, played 7 hours straight, then played till the end last night.
Possibly the biggest, most epic, mental and entertaining game i have played through in a long long time. Never really played a game for 7 hours straight before, so that was a new one to me, we just kept going!

Loved it from start to finish.

Will be going through it on insane asap. (Well, if LBP and Motorstrom keep out of the way...) And im yet to even look at Horde...

Gary Whitta said:
On one of the 30+ waves last night, both my buddies got stomped and it came down to me and a single surviving Kantus. We wound up in a chainsaw clash with the other two players cheering me on as I spammed the B button, and I eventually cut the sucker down to win the day. Exhiliration TOTAL.
Wait, since when did the Kantus carry a chainsaw?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gary Whitta said:
I'm loving the mortar; once you develop an instinctual sense for how to range it, laying down massive fields of withering fire is so much fun, especially if you remember to active reload for the damage boost.

You nailed it. In my opinion, it's the single greatest addition to the game. I can't imagine the game without the mortar. As you said, you just develop this sense about how far things are... I pretty much know the distance between the mortar spawn point and key strategic locations on every map.

Sectus

Mr Vociferous said:
Wait, since when did the Kantus carry a chainsaw?
He probably meant Cyclops or Bolter. I don't blame him, I've played a ton of horde mode but I still can't remember all the enemy names.

*Edit* And holy shit. I forgot that I've had matchmaking on in Gears 2 since I wrote my previous post. It's been on for more than 20 minutes and STILL hasn't found a match. Epic should really fix this.

unomas

Banned
Finally finished the co-op campaign yesterday and it was amazing. I'm getting ready to start insane in the next day or so and have completed Horde mode through wave 50.

My gripes are still with the online multi, most people like me who played the original Gears and got the seriously achievement hate this game. I've also noticed a huge cheapness factor with gears. Yesterday in a 3 round match I had 7 chainsaw kills...and also had easy grenade plant kills where you put a nade on a wall guy runs by and he blows up.

Basically with the multi they need to bring back the shotgun, the lancer/chainsaw shouldn't be the only good weapon in close range battles. The shotgun helps balance things out like the boom shot and torque bow so these guys can't just run around and get one shot kills. It takes less skill to use a boomshot than it does a shotty yet nobody is complaining about the power of the boomer. The shotgun takes more skill to use than the lancer or chainsaw so again what was the problem with the original shotty?

And why for the love of god does a chainsaw wielding freak not drop his chainsaw when you blast him with a shotgun from 5 feet away?

One of the best things about Call of Duty 4 is that you can play a run and gun style or you can sit back and snipe from a distance. The only run and gun in gears is chainsaw after chainsaw and why have to tap the B button to win chainsaw duels? How many turbo controllers are being purchased as we speak?

The people that are most happy about the online multiplayer changes are those that didn't play the first game that much. Epic should at least try to appeal slightly to the people that played the game day after day and know the mechanics. Those are the people that will continue to play Gears online, not the guys that are praising the new shotgun/slingshot that will be done with the game in 2 months. The lancer has stopping power now, you can't just run around and shotgun if you want to with that gameplay mechanic implemented anyway.

Come on Epic, you nailed the singleplayer and Horde mode but what the fuck were you thinking with the online multi? I heard plenty of complaints about the shotty while plaing online multi yesterday, people aren't liking the new version.

kaizoku

quick question, can you not chainsaw some of the medium sized locust? Ok it may have been one of the larger ones, but I was running into one with chainsaw revved on Horde and nothing happened, dunno if it bugged out or if it was simply impossible.

He didnt attack me either, just stood there, so I panicked and ran away whimpering. :D

re: post above, as we all said yesterday, its no longer all about close quarters shotgun duels, its all about the chainsaw battles - which sucks imo. Although it was cool when I chainsaw battled 2 guys in quick succession and beat both. Cool but tiring.

If I can sneak up behind someone, shoot my shotgun into his head and he has the chance to turn round and rev his chainsaw, something is very wrong with the game.

I bet the weaker shotgun was a mistake and they patch it eventually, weaken it fine, but not reduce it this much.

ThirdEngine said:
Tonight was epic. Getting to 17 on Insane went a lot smoother than I expected. Aladuf and I challenge anyone to a Wingman match to take on our two-man killing machine.

I'mmmm baaaaaaack.

We'll get something going in the coming days!!!

Shins

Banned
Playing Guardian last night got me using the Skorge model in multiplayer. Its disappointing how he's just a head-swap of the Kantus model with the top robes removed. Would it really have been so hard to add some spikes to the arms and color the robes red rather than ship out this half-assed game model? In a game thats so graphically polished, that really stuck out as an annoyance.

There are two really cool thing they could have done with the story. First is a missed oppurtunity, second would have blindsided the audience a bit.

After they escape from the Worm and are covered in blood, the last line from Fenix should have been "I'm going to need a shower." Then cut to the pouring rain in a puddle as the centaur drives through it and toward the COG outpost.

Second thing would have to Carmine wear his helmet all the way until a few missions before his death and then have him take it off to reveal a fully realized face. As soon as I saw the guy, and because of the helmet I knew he was dead. If I saw that there was work put into his head I would have thought differently which is why Tai was a surprise.

Really, if the framework of the game could change I'd have prefered Carmine to live through the whole game as a twist on the first Gears and then reveal the what his face looks like at the end.

cleveridea said:
only confusing bit was

Like I said earlier in the thread, if the biggest baddest COG in the army, Tai wanted to commit suicide after what the Locust did to him, what do you think Maria was feeling?

Shins

Banned
Warm Machine said:
Second thing would have to Carmine wear his helmet all the way until a few missions before his death and then have him take it off to reveal a fully realized face.
I prefer having a Kenny in Gears of War

Brakara

Zezboob said:
That's for this same good reason that there is no option to automatically mute the opponent team, or even a quick mute option à la Halo.

It's pretty easy to mute players though. Just select the player, hit 'Y' and then select "Mute".

Darkman M said:
Playing with bots on insane, is alot better then i thought it would be, trying to learn the maps before i play any public online matches.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing between playing with friends.

kaizoku said:
still on the lookout for more european gaffers to add to my friends list:

gamertag - kaizoku7

Added. I'm up for some Horde.

kaizoku

Shins said:
In a game rife with bad jokes, would this surprise you? :p

Gears 3 should have 2 possibilities, one where you can save him and one where you fail. Add an achievement or a war journal entry and it'd be cool.

I really disliked seeing him die as I'd got quite attached to him through interacting with him at the start. Really gruesome death too!

Dirtbag

Brakara said:
It's pretty easy to mute players though. Just select the player, hit 'Y' and then select "Mute".

That's not QUICK mute. And quick mute works while in game just as quickly (in halo).

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Eh, they need to make the respawn time on the weapons a little longer on submission. Because any level with boomshot will have that camper waiting for a pick up and some ammo. Believe me I had this happen just now and man was it pissing me off.

I tried everything....

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
Just fight back. Its more fun.
This.

Why mute these people when you can just mentally fuck them up? I destroyed this one guy the other night that was getting all angry, and at one point he told me "not today junior", so for literally the next 4-5 rounds whenever he attempted to speak I would just cut him off by yelling "not today junior" and then the rest of the GAFfers on my team got in on it too. That shit's way more fun than muting.

Dirtbag

Aladuf said:
This.

Why mute these people when you can just mentally fuck them up? I destroyed this one guy the other night that was getting all angry, and at one point he told me "not today junior", so for literally the next 4-5 rounds whenever he attempted to speak I would just cut him off by yelling "not today junior" and then the rest of the GAFfers on my team got in on it too. That shit's way more fun than muting.

Not today junior.

I'm a grown-ass man, and I don't want to yell back nor listen to any of them.
Hearing them carrying on with whatever annoying antics only makes me feel older and that I shouldn't be playing such childish games anymore.

Ryder said:
If Adam Fenix identifies with the Locus as "we", and he's talking about how "they" can win the war, why on earth would he be angry at the end? If what you're saying is true, he should be happy because his son did what he had recommended be done.

I think that Adam is a Locust and he is saying "what have you done" because his own son has destroyed his creation of sorts and their home before they could take over the surface. However, now that the Lambent are destroyed, the Locust can regroup and GoW3 would take place a few years after GoW2. This could lead to a final showdown between Marcus and his Dad at the end of GoW3. Another option is that Adam Fenix was undercover of sorts and was working on a way to destroy the Locust once and for all from the Hollow but since Marcus and Dom sped up the process and destroyed the Hollow, he lost all of his work and now the Locust can regroup hence "what have you done."

KevinRo

lawls, just got cheated by a dude who standbyed me and my whole team. the funny thing is his entire team quit out because he told them he was cheating (according to the opposing player he messaged me.)

whenever you shot the idiot he would pull out his chainsaw and you couldn't hurt him. he would be running in a straight line and i would have inifnite ammo somehow but wouldn't be able to injure him. after 10 seconds i would be dead.

i hope this doesn't bcome an epidemic.

Naruto

Am I the only one who gets bullet lag only with the shotgun? I know, it's the weirdest thing. Lancer, Pistol, Magnum and everything else seems to work just fine, but the shotgun has a slight lag.

Amir0x said:
That's one... that's two... that's three... that's four... THAT'S FIVE, MOTHERFUCKERS!

I missed that first time through, I didn't want to waste my ammo so stopped at three.... definitely going for the lols on my next run through.

Top Bottom