• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Aladuf said:
This.

Why mute these people when you can just mentally fuck them up? I destroyed this one guy the other night that was getting all angry, and at one point he told me "not today junior", so for literally the next 4-5 rounds whenever he attempted to speak I would just cut him off by yelling "not today junior" and then the rest of the GAFfers on my team got in on it too. That shit's way more fun than muting.

And here is the reason I want the quick mute feature.

And what the fuck is up with the useless 30 seconds we wait in the postgame lobby once the match is over. They want to encourage shit-talking after the game?

shpankey

not an idiot
played again last night, single player, got up to the point
where you have to man the turrets and shoot the reaver's.
This is the most amazing game I think i have ever played. Sorry for the hyperbole, but if a game ever deserved a lot of it, it is this one. I was going to put Dead Space as my front-runner for GotY, but that is long gone now, this game f'n delivers on so many levels I can't even begin. I am having the time of my life going through co-op online, and the set pieces are absolutely brilliant! So many "Oh shit! OMG wtf! NO WAY!" moments all packed into one masterpiece of a game. Major Kudos to Epic.

GotmfC!

:D

p.s. Epic has always delivered that huge sense of scale. I remember this being the case back with Unreal 1 on the PC. Anyone who played through that single-player knows what I'm talking about. There was a mod that allowed co-op through it too, and man, good times, good times. :)

Zoltrix

Amir0x said:
That's one... that's two... that's three... that's four... THAT'S FIVE, MOTHERFUCKERS!

That was so awesome! I did it with a friend and I'm pretty sure it went to six when we were alternating shots...

Amir0x

Banned
sionyboy said:
I missed that first time through, I didn't want to waste my ammo so stopped at three.... definitely going for the lols on my next run through.

It's pretty silly to even bother trying to consume ammo in Gears of War, there's ammo boxes falling out of Locust vagina's every two steps. Them bitches don't know what the fuck to do with all that ammo. They're just throwing that shit away now.

Also: When I beat the game on Hardcore, I am totally expecting one of you GAFers to go through the game with me on INSANE.

LiK

Saren is Bad said:
I think that Adam is a Locust and he is saying "what have you done" because his own son has destroyed his creation of sorts and their home before they could take over the surface. However, now that the Lambent are destroyed, the Locust can regroup and GoW3 would take place a few years after GoW2. This could lead to a final showdown between Marcus and his Dad at the end of GoW3. Another option is that Adam Fenix was undercover of sorts and was working on a way to destroy the Locust once and for all from the Hollow but since Marcus and Dom sped up the process and destroyed the Hollow, he lost all of his work and now the Locust can regroup hence "what have you done."

i got the impression that maybe what they did was actually a bad idea and we'll see the outcome in the third game. i'm also curious who Marcus' mother is, maybe the Locust Queen is Marcus' mother or something, heh. i was kinda disappointed that they didnt make more of a deal that she looked human.

Aladuf

Banned
Domino Theory said:
And here is the reason I want the quick mute feature.

And what the fuck is up with the useless 30 seconds we wait in the postgame lobby once the match is over. They want to encourage shit-talking after the game?
If they start shit then I'm not letting it down. Though every GAFfer I've played with always makes the attempt at first to be nice to these people, but there are so many gamers out there who get so pissed off when one of us will say "good game" so then they will go off on some random homophobic/racist rant. I used to be quiet when people were douchebags, now I dish the shit right back to them (never anything personally offensive though, I don't stoop to those levels) my game is to just make them regret saying stupid shit. ;)

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Aladuf said:
If they start shit then I'm not letting it down. Though every GAFfer I've played with always makes the attempt at first to be nice to these people, but there are so many gamers out there who get so pissed off when one of us will say "good game" so then they will go off on some random homophobic/racist rant. I used to be quiet when people were douchebags, now I dish the shit right back to them (never anything personally offensive though, I don't stoop to those levels) my game is to just make them regret saying stupid shit. ;)

Oh it's nothing against you or any GAFfers because we all know better. But that's the thing, I don't like hearing those randoms getting pissed. I just don't want to hear them period, although a couple days ago I was playing with some GAFfers and we ran into cool opponents like all the time and it made things better.

Next game, we get "hah owned fuckin' bitch shit face idiot" "don't even speak bitch, u got raped" or some stupid shit. Hearing my friends retaliate against those words is fine, don't care, but I don't want to hear my opponent's badmouthing that started the whole thing.

It sucks, but I just remembered that NXE allows private party chat with up to 8 people so I'll just do that chat as to only hear my team/party and it'll help me because I can tell my teammates where the enemy is while I'm dead and free-cameraing. :D

shpankey

not an idiot
Aladuf said:
you won't change their douchery. in fact, there is a better chance you will start to become more and more like them than there ever is for them to come to any kind of self realization. which is why i always reply with kindness and politeness, no matter how dickery they speak. seems to get more of the result i'm looking for.

Aladuf

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Oh it's nothing against you or any GAFfers because we all know better. But that's the thing, I don't like hearing those randoms getting pissed. I just don't want to hear them period, although a couple days ago I was playing with some GAFfers and we ran into cool opponents like all the time and it made things better.

Next game, we get "hah owned fuckin' bitch shit face idiot" "don't even speak bitch, u got raped" or some stupid shit. Hearing my friends retaliate against those words is fine, don't care, but I don't want to hear my opponent's badmouthing that started the whole thing.

It sucks, but I just remembered that NXE allows private party chat with up to 8 people so I'll just do that chat as to only hear my team/party and it'll help me because I can tell my teammates where the enemy is while I'm dead and free-cameraing. :D
Oh, I gotcha then. And most likely when NXE comes out next week we'll probably be doing a chat between all of us when we play too, mostly because of being able to help out teammates who are still alive after you've died.

shpankey said:
you won't change their douchery. in fact, there is a better chance you will start to become more and more like them than there ever is for them to come to any kind of self realization. which is why i always reply with kindness and politeness, no matter how dickery they speak. seems to get more of the result i'm looking for.
I can understand that but I've never wanted to start shit with anyone, I'm always right there with the guys when we say good match whether we win or lose.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I hated Gears 1 multiplayer. Hated it. Didn't plan on even touching Gears 2 multiplayer except for co-op. Then because of the hype I played Horde.

Damn.

My gamertag is Mistah Jones. Add me to play Horde. Seriously, I'm skipping studying for exams to play this stuff. It is the most fun I've had playing online in a while. You get four guys who want to actually stick together, and its godly. I got to level 14 on Day One before getting slaughtered by guys with shields. I want to play more.

Add me.

ADD ME!!!

... REVIVE ME!!!

mr jones said:
I hated Gears 1 multiplayer. Hated it. Didn't plan on even touching Gears 2 multiplayer except for co-op. Then because of the hype I played Horde.

Damn.

My gamertag is Mistah Jones. Add me to play Horde. Seriously, I'm skipping studying for exams to play this stuff. It is the most fun I've had playing online in a while. You get four guys who want to actually stick together, and its godly. I got to level 14 on Day One before getting slaughtered by guys with shields. I want to play more.

Add me.

ADD ME!!!

... REVIVE ME!!!
Sent you a FR. :D

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Soooo I just came back to this thread since Sunday and noticed this:

CliffyB said:
Best. Post. Ever.

It's Sunday afternoon and I'm so very addicted to this thread. :D

Glad I made your afternoon, Cliff :lol

But seriously? No more cutting organs, or at least hearts, in Gears 3. At least include some barf bags in the Limited Edition or something.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Aladuf said:
Oh, I gotcha then. And most likely when NXE comes out next week we'll probably be doing a chat between all of us when we play too, mostly because of being able to help out teammates who are still alive after you've died.
Aw crap, this is going to completely screw up the multiplayer. I played against a team of friends who were at a LAN party and nothing sucks quite so much as the other team knowing precisely where you are by having their dead teammates act as recon instead of doing it themselves, while you have no such advantage.

One thing I REALLY WANT in Gears 3 is get rid of ammo collection at button press. I know somebody would argue it adds tension in situation. But I don't like it.

Forcing a player to pick up an ammo at button press is so last gen.

Brakara

Dirtbag said:
I'm a grown-ass man, and I don't want to yell back nor listen to any of them.
Hearing them carrying on with whatever annoying antics only makes me feel older and that I shouldn't be playing such childish games anymore.

We must be playing against completely different people then. I've never encountered more than one or two obnoxious people in a single round. And the 5-10 seconds it takes to mute them is not enough to get so pissed that I'm writing angry posts on an Internet forum about it.

Sure, it's not as quick as in Halo, but spending 5 seconds to mute someone is not that fucking cumbersome.

raYne

MirageDwarf said:
One thing I REALLY WANT in Gears 3 is get rid of ammo collection at button press. I know somebody would argue it adds tension in situation. But I don't like it.

Uh, most games still use that method. I don't see how "last gen" it can be if that's still the commonly used method.

Brakara said:
Sure, it's not as quick as in Halo, but spending 5 seconds to mute someone is not that fucking cumbersome.
And as a bonus, in my experience, muting someone through the gamertag method keeps them muted forever. Which for me is an infinitely better choice. :D

MirageDwarf said:

I like having to press a button to pick up ammo. I'd be annoyed if I walked over a Lancer and I already had like 549 ammo. I could have saved that for after a shoot out.

Aladuf said:
Whudda fuck you lookin' at my Gamertag for, bitch?

Saren is Bad said:
I think that Adam is a Locust and he is saying "what have you done" because his own son has destroyed his creation of sorts and their home before they could take over the surface. However, now that the Lambent are destroyed, the Locust can regroup and GoW3 would take place a few years after GoW2. This could lead to a final showdown between Marcus and his Dad at the end of GoW3. Another option is that Adam Fenix was undercover of sorts and was working on a way to destroy the Locust once and for all from the Hollow but since Marcus and Dom sped up the process and destroyed the Hollow, he lost all of his work and now the Locust can regroup hence "what have you done."

Well it depends. In the first message about sinking jachinto he refers to it as the last refuge, and it is the last refuge of humanity from the locust. So that implies that the entire message is from the human point of view unless its a fake/trap.

Also, the whole flooding of the hollow is another huge blow to the locust that they might now recover form this time. Assuming that the humans were quick enough with the sinking operation.

raYne said:
Uh, most games still use that method. I don't see how "last gen" it can be if that's still the commonly used method.
I agree many games still use it and I don't like it in all of those games. I'm hoping more games adopt health regen and automatic ammo pickup.

What I meant by "last gen" is, it is something that this gen games should get rid of all together IMO.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I like having to press a button to pick up ammo. I'd be annoyed if I walked over a Lancer and I already had like 549 ammo. I could have saved that for after a shoot out.

I can understand that. Sometimes what you said is better than automatic pick up. As I said, I just like automatic ammo pick up. May be there should be an option in settings so we all get what we want.

Doodis

LiK said:
i got the impression that maybe what they did was actually a bad idea and we'll see the outcome in the third game. i'm also curious who Marcus' mother is, maybe the Locust Queen is Marcus' mother or something, heh. i was kinda disappointed that they didnt make more of a deal that she looked human.

I just read the prequel book,
and Marcus's mother dies earlier. When he's young, his dad tells him that she went missing. They mention that years later they found her body underground where she was doing some research on imulsion.

So that rules out his mom as being the queen. But the queen was certainly far more human looking than I expected, so hopefully they'll give us some answers there. And she obviously knows Marcus's dad, so perhaps he was working on a way to peacefully resolve the conflict between them or something.
Lots of good story stuff to look forward to.

acm2000

omg :eek:

i just got to the
Dom love story ending where he kills his wife
fucking amazing, wasnt expecting that much emotion in a gears game :lol

goldenpp72

is it just me or is gears 2 much laggier and unpolished? I notice a lot of graphical glitches and lag online, the first game had bullet lag but the actual running and moving was a smooth game :/

striKeVillain! said:
With Jacinto now sunk, where the hell are the humans going to live? I thought that was the end of the line.
End of the line for defense may be. Locust sinking their cities doesn't mean they are out of land.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Amir0x said:
Also: When I beat the game on Hardcore, I am totally expecting one of you GAFers to go through the game with me on INSANE.

I'd be up for that. One can never get enough of gears campaign. Finished yesterday and I'm already itching to go back in.

Doodis

Amir0x said:
Act 2, Chapter 6:
holy SHIT @ inside Riftworm
Half of me said, "Are you kidding me? This is freaking ridiculous." And the other half said, "Are you kidding me? This is freaking awesome!"

Then the awesome half told the other half to shut the hell up.

Off-topic but does anyone know if the new red 360 controller has an improved D-Pad? I've been needing a new/extra 360 controller for a while, and Gears 2's weapon switching is making me want to buy one a little quicker now.

Oh also, anyone know exactly how Gears 2's ranking system works? I was three gold bars for one game, then dropped back to two silver despite continually winning.

Baker

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Off-topic but does anyone know if the new red 360 controller has an improved D-Pad? I've been needing a new/extra 360 controller for a while, and Gears 2's weapon switching is making me want to buy one a little quicker now.

I bought one so I'd have a new controller for Gears.

Without playing a game specifically using it, I would say it's not completely redefined, but it seems to act better navigating the dashboard. For example, I have not gone two blades to the right when moving down to launch the game yet. :D

Someone posted pictures here a couple weeks ago saying it's the same thing, so who the hell knows?

Edit: Another thing... I know it's preemptive in saying it now, but I think the sticks are made of a harder plastic so you won't end up with that dust crap lining the analog circles. Again though, I've only been using it since Sunday.

Flunkie

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Tonight was epic. Getting to 17 on Insane went a lot smoother than I expected. Aladuf and I challenge anyone to a Wingman match to take on our two-man killing machine. I'm hoping for Wednesday's matches we can get eight other GAFfers to do just that. But now on to the good stuff...

Flunkie posted photos from this match earlier, but here's another look of the glitch we came across while playing Day One:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/ThirdEngine0182/2.jpg[/IMG

Last but not least, I don't know if it was lag or getting caught in a wallbounce, but here's the shot Flunkie:

[IMG]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/ThirdEngine0182/3-1.jpg[/IMG

:lol

Moar Gears madness tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
:lol :lol Nice. Although on my screen, my character was out near the statue part of the time while my camera was down where my guy was and it was like a stationary first person shooter.

What happened was that they smoked me, I fell in an awkward position near the wall, and was never able to get up. One of you guys "revived" me, and that's when I started going nuts.

FrankT

BruceLeeRoy said:
Dell just delayed my 360 from tomorrow to Tuesday of next week! DAMN YOU DELL!

Tsk, tsk. Would definitely call them to see if a Rep could expedite it. Never know with Dell.

Baker

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Tsk, tsk. Would definitely call them to see if a Rep expedite it. Never know with Dell.

I called when they delayed my laptop earlier this year. Next thing I know, it was being overnight shipped to me.

Top Bottom