• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Epic quite grasps the whole 'carrot on a stick' concept.

Generally speaking, it's not a great idea to make the rewards for playing feel further away when the next big shooter is right around the corner...

zlatko

Banned
Yup leveling up is mad hard now. I barely got 1/3rd of level in like 20 some games of quick match gnasher only with a buddy tonight. I got the little bit to hit 74, but barely got even 1/5th of that towards 75. It's a complete grind. :/

The Gnasher only playlist just proved to me how easy it is to stop Gnasher users from rushing lol. Pistol is more than enough to keep someone pinched if they are trying to shotty rush you.

Enjoyed my time with the Gnasher only playlist and didn't get pissed off at all even when people were camping on hotel with just their pistols. I was annoyed, but never miffed like when I am when SOS users catch me as they camp around corners. Oh and speaking of camping around corners, it was so great to be able to move around hotels inside without having to check every corner. Wall/hopping sliding made the guys who tried to camp and get kills around the corner with Gnasher get pooped on thanks to super good aiming and coming in at the right angles.

; ; Game is so good without SOS.

abracadaver

Leveling up is still a joke compared to gears 2.

Took me 2 years to reach 100 in gears 2 and only got it because they were going insane with all the bonus xp events they threw at you.

Now Im already level 72 without playing much gears in the last 2 weeks and I could easily reach 100 before christmas. They really messed up the whole leveling/unlocking stuff in gears 3. Fuck those onyx medals.

Arjen

thezerofire said:
did they put the SOS back? I'm getting gibbed at insane ranges

I thought the same last night, i was getting gibbed from top of the stairs when i was al the way down, on Mercy.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to pass on the DLC for this game. SOS has totally fucking ruined Gears 3 for me. Combine that with the kick in the balls of them halfing the XP in this game, and yeah, I'm out.

Fallacy said:
Went into koth today; big mistake.

KOTH is the best mode with a team of people who know what they're doing, and the worst mode without one.

It's like schizophrenic hot chick. One day, she's the best thing ever. The next day, she's trying to kill you with a kitchen knife because you put tracking devices in her shoes.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
AnEternalEnigma said:
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to pass on the DLC for this game. SOS has totally fucking ruined Gears 3 for me. Combine that with the kick in the balls of them halfing the XP in this game, and yeah, I'm out.

I honestly dont see the big deal about the xp..who cares. Play the game cause you wanna play the game not cause of some number. SOS is a different story.

SOS is dumb, but not call the game quits dumb. i dealt with horrible lag, host advantages, active snipe downs, weapon sliders, poor matchmaking menus, joining matches and being kicked by tyrant matchmaking hosts, boomshot in gears 2 blowing you up when firing from the hip because it goes straight into your feet, the wobbly character models in 2, smoke grenades making me flop all over the ground, ect.

if those didn't do me in, SOS sure isn't. especially considering all that shit i listed is for the most part if not fully fixed.

on another note though, yeah the XP part is kinda a bummer, it did go really fast at launch but now it's a grinding halt. i don't have a lot of gaming time these days and for once i'd like to make it to that glorious peak.

also, put some special events that count toward war supporter on weekdays. i work all through the weekend. i feel so left out.

X-Frame said:
Just curious but how come sometimes you join as default Drone or Marcus? Why does it do that?

Because even though Epic has always abused the streaming (loading in the background without pauses) technology even when it sometimes makes textures pop-in in your fucking face, they somehow can't stream your character skin into the match. :)

Hell, when you're spectating and switch between two characters in your team you can sometimes see their textures loading again :/

X-Frame

Risk Breaker said:
Because even though Epic has always abused the streaming (loading in the background without pauses) technology even when it sometimes makes textures pop-in in your fucking face, they somehow can't stream your character skin into the match. :)

Hell, when you're spectating and switch between two characters in your team you can sometimes see their textures loading again :/
So when I join a game in-progress and my character shows up its only because another teammate loaded the character at the beginning of the game?

Feels a little weird. I guess it wastes RAM to load all characters in each game but still - never saw this happen before.

Nobody uses Cole Train so I'm always friggin' Marcus at the start.

X-Frame said:
So when I join a game in-progress and my character shows up its only because another teammate loaded the character at the beginning of the game?

Feels a little weird. I guess it wastes RAM to load all characters in each game but still - never saw this happen before.

Nobody uses Cole Train so I'm always friggin' Marcus at the start.

Yes, exactly. As I (used to) use Hoffman I know what you mean :)

Risk Breaker said:

It's not just a skin; you'd have to load the mesh as well. It'd be too much memory to load in every character to the game each match.

thezerofire said:
did they put the SOS back? I'm getting gibbed at insane ranges

We are probably reading too much into it, but I felt the same thing over the weekend. I would not down someone with the Gnasher and then they would gib me at the same range.

God I was having such a love/hate relationship with this game over the weekend. I played a lot of KOTH solo and would get on a team dominating people with me always at the top of the score board and then I would get swapped to the other team with a bunch of people running around like chickens with their heads cutoff. So frustrating to spend several matches working with a team of strangers that actually start to click together only to have to face them.

Sadly this is what I have to resort to because it seems like my friends gave up on this game fast. Battlefield 3 coming out this week will not help matters and I imagine I am going to have to start splitting my time between the two. Probably play Gears 3 solo and then switch over whenever someone gets on and sends me an invite.

OG Kush

Just got this game today and ppl here are saying Warzone is dead? fuuuck thats my fav game mode. Not a fan of the whole respawns thing gears. Adds way more tension without respawns and gives me that CS vibe.

TRios Zen

Genesis Knight said:
It's not just a skin; you'd have to load the mesh as well. It'd be too much memory to load in every character to the game each match.

How does this happen - in between matches though? I mean I'll play 2 or 3 matches as my character and then all of a sudden I'll get that "your default character is not available" message.

I mean, I understand why that would happen when you join a game in progress, but how would it happen when you've been in the same "lobby" for a while?

mernst23

All the bitching about XP is funny. The only people who should care about being 100 are people who have the intention of going for Seriously 3.0. Go get all the other Onyx medals first and if you aren't 100 yet, then you have a legit complaint.

It took me 8 months of religious playing and throw in some guardian boosting in Gears 2 to get my level 100, and none of my games counted for Veteran gear until TU3 rolled around with the EXP system. Not only will this game have experience events I wouldn't be surprised if they design event to help get some of the tougher Onyx medals easier. The game is a month old, chill out that you aren't 100 yet.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Risk Breaker said:

You should be a dev, since you can seemingly make whole character models and voices load without stopping the game as easy as texture streaming!

Evil Benius said:
We are probably reading too much into it, but I felt the same thing over the weekend. I would not down someone with the Gnasher and then they would gib me at the same range.

God I was having such a love/hate relationship with this game over the weekend. I played a lot of KOTH solo and would get on a team dominating people with me always at the top of the score board and then I would get swapped to the other team with a bunch of people running around like chickens with their heads cutoff. So frustrating to spend several matches working with a team of strangers that actually start to click together only to have to face them.

Sadly this is what I have to resort to because it seems like my friends gave up on this game fast. Battlefield 3 coming out this week will not help matters and I imagine I am going to have to start splitting my time between the two. Probably play Gears 3 solo and then switch over whenever someone gets on and sends me an invite.

Can't remember if I reposted this here already, but someone posted these stats about the Gnasher vs. Sawed-Off about two weeks after launch that made perfect sense as to why I lost to the Sawed-Off in close battle, and someone else killing the person and I get a ton of assist points but no kill, it changed the way I handled a battle and it should help everyone else as well.

Don't know if it's 100% accurate, but it stacks up at the very least in every battle I've had.

Some guy I saw on the Epic forums posted it like this: every character has 600 health, and the Gnasher deals 500 normally, the Sawed-Off does 2400 damage, which is why it can kill 4 people in one blast. Perfect Reload Gnasher does 600 damage, so if you want to at the very worst trade with a SOS user at the max SOS range, you're gonna have to have a Perfect Reload ready, or aim for the head and get a headshot without it, or if you're any closer, get a headshot or upper-body shot which includes the head.

Not good enough or fast enough to pull that off? Zoom in and soften him up with an early shot from far, and kill him/down him with the second shot.

SOS was always easy to counter, this should hopefully make it even easier.

Skilotonn said:
You should be a dev, since you can seemingly make whole character models and voices load without stopping the game as easy as texture streaming!

It happened in Gears 2 ;) And you think they don't stream music and voices on the campaign, or even on the MP?

Genesis Knight said:

Of course it would be too much. I doubt it'd run. But you know, that's what streaming is for.

Montresor

Horde mode is incredible! I played it properly for the first time this weekend with gaffers and it was eye-opening his good this mode is. For the first couple of weeks all I did was slowly work through the hardcore campaign while playing tons of versus up to level 45. Then this weekend I realize there's a giant part of the game I've been missing out on.

Im always up for more horde. I could also use some 4-player insane arcade playthroughs and beast mode too. =D I still haven't tried beast mode yet.

ShaneB

OG Kush said:
Just got this game today and ppl here are saying Warzone is dead? fuuuck thats my fav game mode. Not a fan of the whole respawns thing gears. Adds way more tension without respawns and gives me that CS vibe.

The XP chatter on this very page is proof why Warzone/Execution are mostly ghost towns. I share the same mindset as you, and will always prefer any game mode that makes me value every single life, but I can understand people enjoying the standard TDM rule sets... but just not when it comes down to getting as much silly XP as they can. Stupid bs.

Skilotonn said:
Can't remember if I reposted this here already, but someone posted these stats about the Gnasher vs. Sawed-Off about two weeks after launch that made perfect sense as to why I lost to the Sawed-Off in close battle, and someone else killing the person and I get a ton of assist points but no kill, it changed the way I handled a battle and it should help everyone else as well.

Don't know if it's 100% accurate, but it stacks up at the very least in every battle I've had.

Some guy I saw on the Epic forums posted it like this: every character has 600 health, and the Gnasher deals 500 normally, the Sawed-Off does 2400 damage, which is why it can kill 4 people in one blast. Perfect Reload Gnasher does 600 damage, so if you want to at the very worst trade with a SOS user at the max SOS range, you're gonna have to have a Perfect Reload ready, or aim for the head and get a headshot without it, or if you're any closer, get a headshot or upper-body shot which includes the head.

Not good enough or fast enough to pull that off? Zoom in and soften him up with an early shot from far, and kill him/down him with the second shot.

SOS was always easy to counter, this should hopefully make it even easier.
the thing is, Epic put a nerf on the SOS's range to make it more balanced, but it seems like it's off right now

I was complaining to my cousin that I seem to be getting quite a few assists when we played.

Out of around 80 matches, I have 31 medals for the most assists.

Out of around 300 matches for him, he has around 28 medals for most assists.

:(

I consistently get the most downs as well.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
I was complaining to my cousin that I seem to be getting quite a few assists when we played.

Out of around 80 matches, I have 31 medals for the most assists.

Out of around 300 matches for him, he has around 28 medals for most assists.

:(

I consistently get the most downs as well.
Team player right here.

I have the same problem. :(

Lima

thezerofire said:
or maybe remove the front gate?

That would be the best option for this map.

Now Overpass is a whole different story. You would need a second set of stairs leading to the top.

A lot of the maps that are shitty right now could easily be fixed with little tweaks.

X-Frame

It's almost as if developers should beta test every launch map before it goes out to the public.

For example, in games like Gears, every map spawn should have more than 1 exit. Why Thrashball, Trenches, and Checkout all had 1 exit (even though Checkout's is large), Epic still ended up revising the other 2 beta maps because of spawn camping.

You'd think that detail would be the first thing map designers would take into account.

Now we have non-beta tested maps that require similar revisions. For example, why Overpass only has 1 route to the top is beyond me.

Where does it end? Should details such as these have been caught during internal testing or do all games need to get public feedback for maps due to how difficult it is for devs to change them once they're shipped?

Anyone have any tips on beating Act III, Chapter 5 - Brothers to the End on Insane?

My team got absolutely raped last night, it was horrible. As soon as the lambent came up we got completely overrun. Hardest part of the game by far!

Arjen

X-Frame said:
It's almost as if developers should beta test every launch map before it goes out to the public.

For example, in games like Gears, every map spawn should have more than 1 exit. Why Thrashball, Trenches, and Checkout all had 1 exit (even though Checkout's is large), Epic still ended up revising the other 2 beta maps because of spawn camping.

You'd think that detail would be the first thing map designers would take into account.

Now we have non-beta tested maps that require similar revisions. For example, why Overpass only has 1 route to the top is beyond me.

Where does it end? Should details such as these have been caught during internal testing or do all games need to get public feedback for maps due to how difficult it is for devs to change them once they're shipped?

It really boggles my mind how they managed to fuck up those maps, Overpass is like the ultimate example how not to design a map.
Hey guys, lets make a highground with only one exit, where you can see and control the whole map, sounds cool huh? You know what, let's put a motherfuckin turret on there to!

mernst23

U n i o n 0015 said:
Anyone have any tips on beating Act III, Chapter 5 - Brothers to the End on Insane?

My team got absolutely raped last night, it was horrible. As soon as the lambent came up we got completely overrun. Hardest part of the game by far!

Planted grenades and retro lancer charges against formers are your friends

MjFrancis

I've been thinking of going through all of Beast mode shortly after the first DLC drops. Get all my medals and whatnot in order. Still haven't done an Insane run, though I noticed that Hardcore runs weren't too bad - did three and only once did we lose a wave, and that was because there was only three of us.

Basically, it seems like the least populated MP mode in Gears, so I want to go through it before it dies. It typically gets less than 2,000 online worldwide when I'm looking at it. Can't blame people, it's fun, but after a half-dozen matches there's not as much depth to pull out of it as the other game modes can offer.

mernst23

MjFrancis said:
I've been thinking of going through all of Beast mode shortly after the first DLC drops. Get all my medals and whatnot in order. Still haven't done an Insane run, though I noticed that Hardcore runs weren't too bad - did three and only once did we lose a wave, and that was because there was only three of us.

Basically, it seems like the least populated MP mode in Gears, so I want to go through it before it dies. It typically gets less than 2,000 online worldwide when I'm looking at it. Can't blame people, it's fun, but after a half-dozen matches there's not as much depth to pull out of it as the other game modes can offer.

As someone who did Beast Medals first, here's some advice.

You are going to get all 6 other Onyx's before you get the Ready for Heavies one, I have all 6 other onyx medals, and 47/75 Ready for Heavies.

Tier 1: Play with a wretch for the first 3, maybe 4th wave to get your 200 wretch kills and instagib mutator. Once you do that only play with a wretch or reg ticker until round 3 and start picking the savage drone until you get to tier 2.
Tier 2: Wait until everyone else picks a player and buy a Kantus only if at least 2 other people pick healable classes. Stay behind cover and spam x to get the Revives Medal. If you have your revives medal i suggest picking the savage drone even through tier 2.
Tier 3: Grenadiers and their frag grenades are your friends to get kills and money quickly(If you don't have your Kantus heals onyx yet and people are still picking heal able classes keep picking the Kantus (The Kantus revives is the only thing that will be tough to get if Beast playtype dies and people barely play it anymore)
Tier 4: Berserker and just destroy cover, don't pay any attention to getting COG kills because I already have an onyx medal level 2 for killing cog soldiers and i still need 28 more ready for heavies ribbons so I'll probably hit a third. If you manage to get a Berserker by wave 9 you can hit close to 100 objects destroyed in a match and not have to play with a Wild ticker.

DoomGyver

thezerofire said:
or maybe remove the front gate?
This would help Mercy so much. Replace Mortar/One shot with Longshot/torque bow, keep digger and boom shot where they are.

The one shot zooms in WAY too far to be any use on Mercy anyhow.

Iztli

Full Recovery said:
I want a classic playlist so bad.

5v5
lancer/hammy/gnasher

Complement that with fuel depot, war machine, process (would be awesome with the Gears 3 lighting effects/immulsion), and canals.

a man can dream
I'd pay $50 for that as DLC... and I despise dlc :p

Tawpgun

Full Recovery said:
This would help Mercy so much. Replace Mortar/One shot with Longshot/torque bow, keep digger and boom shot where they are.

The one shot zooms in WAY too far to be any use on Mercy anyhow.
Remove gate and add a small walkway between the mortar/1shot spawn and the church. Sucks when you need to get away and you have to walk around that entire thing, exposing yourself.

Do you think the community will take much of a hit with the release of BF3? I'll be jumping over for a while. Having no friends to play alongside and hence, having to play with randoms is getting to me.

I had such a shit one last night. I was ass, my teammates were ass... Nothing was going my way. It was definitely my most rage-filled Gears session yet. I think I need a break.

It's funny how Gears 3 is simultaneously my most loved game and the game that gives me the most grief.

Lima

BF3 on consoles will suck ass so I don't expect much of a hit.

But like 50k players across all game modes isn't exactly a big community to start with. If more people leave you will pretty much play against the same people over and over again. Well that now happens fairly often in Warzone/Execution.

Lima said:
BF3 on consoles will suck ass so I don't expect much of a hit.

But like 50k players across all game modes isn't exactly a big community to start with. If more people leave you will pretty much play against the same people over and over again. Well that now happens fairly often in Warzone/Execution.

It will suck ass compared to the PC iteration, yes, but apparently a lot of the hit detection issues have been ironed out. Here's hoping, anyway. I'm sure Gears will still get a healthy workout from me, but I seriously need to cool down on it for a little.

Montresor

mernst23 said:
As someone who did Beast Medals first, here's some advice.

You are going to get all 6 other Onyx's before you get the Ready for Heavies one, I have all 6 other onyx medals, and 47/75 Ready for Heavies.

Tier 1: Play with a wretch for the first 3, maybe 4th wave to get your 200 wretch kills and instagib mutator. Once you do that only play with a wretch or reg ticker until round 3 and start picking the savage drone until you get to tier 2.
Tier 2: Wait until everyone else picks a player and buy a Kantus only if at least 2 other people pick healable classes. Stay behind cover and spam x to get the Revives Medal. If you have your revives medal i suggest picking the savage drone even through tier 2.
Tier 3: Grenadiers and their frag grenades are your friends to get kills and money quickly(If you don't have your Kantus heals onyx yet and people are still picking heal able classes keep picking the Kantus (The Kantus revives is the only thing that will be tough to get if Beast playtype dies and people barely play it anymore)
Tier 4: Berserker and just destroy cover, don't pay any attention to getting COG kills because I already have an onyx medal level 2 for killing cog soldiers and i still need 28 more ready for heavies ribbons so I'll probably hit a third. If you manage to get a Berserker by wave 9 you can hit close to 100 objects destroyed in a match and not have to play with a Wild ticker.

Great post. I played beast for the first time earlier today just using the wretch and other randoms but I'll follow your game plan here. I'm addicted to medals.

My goal will be to get every bronze medal eventually.

Nori Chan

I played this game for the first time in like less than 2 weeks and I got killed by the SOS by ridiculous range. It felt like they didn't nerf it at all. PLACEBO

and apparently the the new weapon spawns are out now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom