• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

mernst23

Montresor said:
Would you have felt the same way if someone casually strolled in with a gnasher? This is a 5-versus-5 game. You can't expect people to just leave you alone when you're trying to engage in a "gnasher battle."

Can't tell you how many times this exact same situation happens to me, it's so much worse when it's like 2 v 4 at the end of a TDM game and you take down one or two people before the guy who's 4 and 7 with 4 SOS kills in the match) runs up to you and right triggers you because he's baiting his teammates while you're distracted.

Falagard

Kydd BlaZe said:
Lol, as far as I'm concerned the SOS is nothing more than a troll weapon. I almost get sick to my stomach when I think about how beautiful this game would be if the sawed off never existed. I swear, sometimes I think that Epic just tossed that shit in there to piss people off.

I played Gears 3 again last night, TDM, and I had to stop because I came across a whole team of SoS users and it pissed me off so much. I'm taking a break from this game for a while I think.

Montresor

Seth Balmore said:
Halloween event is live for the weekend. Reminder: Starting weapons are Boomshot and Longshot, pickups are a mix of both.

This event counts for the War Supporter medal for those interested. There'll be pumpkin heads on Monday.

Also,

quinndelhoyo Quinn DelHoyo
Switch your weapon skins to Flaming for a Halloween surprise. #Gears3

Tagging so I don't forget. God damn I'm intrigued, haha.

X-Frame

Montresor said:
Would you have felt the same way if someone casually strolled in with a gnasher? This is a 5-versus-5 game. You can't expect people to just leave you alone when you're trying to engage in a "gnasher battle."
I think what he meant was how SOS users can more often just stroll into a firefight and fire without having to worry about even lining up their shot and moving the right joystick.

I see it all the time, and when I pick up an SOS I do it all the time too -- at least much easier than with a Gnasher.

---------

What does switching your weapon skins to flame do?

deviant1

Played some TDM last night and almost pulled off of a 5-1 clutch, but the last guy ran off and hid and drew a stalemate. Best part, all 5 were SOS users, and 3 of the 4 I killed tried to rush me with the SOS out in the open only to be downed by Lancer fire and executed.

Looking forward to this weekends event, should be crazy.

Even though there are some annoying things about Gears 3 and the fact i'm not actually that good at it, this will be my shooter for a long time.

Of course I get angry with it but its normally only the good games that can do that to me.
I'm not very good at shooters but Gears gameplay just clicks with me.

COD just seems run run kill, run run die, run run run...die, run run kill

and although I haven't given it a fair go Battlefield just doesn't do it for me. I got sniped, then I see a tank drive past, I heard a gunfight...somewhere then run for a bit towards it but never actually seem to get there. I understand that may be my problem rather than the game though.

I'm gonna be sticking with it because every game has bullshit in it but when Gears clicks there aint nothing like it

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Montresor said:
That's not what it was. It was not about him impeding, I was not pissed about him joining his teammate, that's all fair.

If the dude had a gnasher, i'd be doing a 2v1 Gnasher battle, which is fun in its own regard. But the SOS throws things off completely. the fact that, in the confines of a hallway, there is no dodging I can do (besides running back/retreating) that can get away from the spread and range of the SOS. There is no use battling a SOS user, because there will be no battle. One of four things will happen when a SOS user rushes you (especially true if you're pre-occupied):

1) He will kill you with a blindfire, usually not aiming
2) You run away, nothing happens
3) He fucks up and misses, and instantly runs 20 miles away
4) You might get "lucky" and get a double KO.

Smh.

njean777

Stat Flow said:
That's not what it was. It was not about him impeding, I was not pissed about him joining his teammate, that's all fair.

If the dude had a gnasher, i'd be doing a 2v1 Gnasher battle, which is fun in its own regard. But the SOS throws things off completely. the fact that, in the confines of a hallway, there is no dodging I can do (besides running back/retreating) that can get away from the spread and range of the SOS. There is no use battling a SOS user, because there will be no battle. One of four things will happen when a SOS user rushes you (especially true if you're pre-occupied):

1) He will kill you with a blindfire, usually not aiming
2) You run away, nothing happens
3) He fucks up and misses, and instantly runs 20 miles away
4) You might get "lucky" and get a double KO.

Smh.

Or he misses and you finish him off, quit complaining about the gnasher vs SOS and just adapt or die. Its Gears 3 not Gears 1.

zlatko

Banned
deviant1 said:
Played some TDM last night and almost pulled off of a 5-1 clutch, but the last guy ran off and hid and drew a stalemate. Best part, all 5 were SOS users, and 3 of the 4 I killed tried to rush me with the SOS out in the open only to be downed by Lancer fire and executed.

Looking forward to this weekends event, should be crazy.

I had a similar situation. It was me vs them and they had their 5 lives + 4 more on top of that. I got it down to 3 of them left, but I was getting low on ammo, and the one guy I manage to separate was able to ignore stopping power to reach me for a SOS kill.

:( Wanted that 9 kill clutch so bad.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
njean777 said:
Or he misses and you finish him off, quit complaining about the gnasher vs SOS and just adapt or die. Its Gears 3 not Gears 1.
Oh yeah, that happens too sometimes. And yeah, I've died plenty. I'm still getting that adapting part down.
KuGsj.gif

Is that BoomSniper thing today? How is it?

Also, Classic Playlist will have host shotgun in 9/10 battles, no stopping power to bring some real versatility to the starting line-up and everyone just presses left on the d-pad as soon as they spawn, you can only roll in four directions, the cover system will be sticky and make wallbouncing a pain, etc.

I'm know I'm fucking with a sacred cow, but Gears 3 MP almost completely SHITS on Gears 1. Gears 1 had better map selection, less annoying starter weapons, and Hoffman doing the Cog victory/defeat speeches. THAT'S IT.

Oh, and Kim.

zlatko

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Is that BoomSniper thing today? How is it?

Also, Classic Playlist will have host shotgun in 9/10 battles, no stopping power to bring some real versatility to the starting line-up and everyone just presses left on the d-pad as soon as they spawn, you can only roll in four directions, the cover system will be sticky and make wallbouncing a pain, etc.

I'm know I'm fucking with a sacred cow, but Gears 3 MP almost completely SHITS on Gears 1. Gears 1 had better map selection, less annoying starter weapons, and Hoffman doing the Cog victory/defeat speeches. THAT'S IT.

Oh, and Kim.

Yes, now imagine the refinements of Gears 3 mixed with the weapon selection of 1.

A true orgasm would be the map pool from 1 in 3 without SOS. *blows load 7 different ways*

njean777

zlatko said:
Yes, now imagine the refinements of Gears 3 mixed with the weapon selection of 1.

A true orgasm would be the map pool from 1 in 3 without SOS. *blows load 7 different ways*

Would be boring bro, would be like they were literally making the same game 3 times. DO NOT WANT

njean777

LeonSKennedy90 said:
But it would be the same game as Gears 3, with one weapon missing

be less stupid, njean

I don't want the SOS to go, its better then the gnasher for me, so of course I would be angry. Sorry bro gnasher is old news.

njean777

LeonSKennedy90 said:
So are your dumbass arguments, but you keep using them anyway

I am not arguing anything only the fact that the gnasher users need to STFU and move on. I defended the SOS and got ridiculed because I am a noob/ idiot. I am sorry I have different taste, but the only thing I see in this thread is bitching about the SOS. It is annoying and needs to stop.

Robot Pants

njean777 said:
I am not arguing anything only the fact that the gnasher users need to STFU and move on. I defended the SOS and got ridiculed because I am a noob/ idiot. I am sorry I have different taste, but the only thing I see in this thread is bitching about the SOS. It is annoying and needs to stop.

..............SOS sucks.

Its funny we got one guy who worships at the altar of Gears of War 1, despite its myriad of problems and flaws, and the other guy goes to sleep at night hugging his SOS.

The unstoppable force, meet the immovable object.

Robot Pants

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Its funny we got one guy who worships at the altar of Gears of War 1, despite its myriad of problems and flaws, and the other guy goes to sleep at night hugging his SOS.

The unstoppable force, meet the immovable object.

Getcha kills up, son.

njean777 said:

Who is bitching and being annoying and not nice at all to other people?

Maybe YOU need to STFU and accept that most of us don't like the noobish stupid POS weapon.

It looks like we are getting the playlist sooner or later anyway so yeah, the SOS noobs will have to adapt to the pro gnasher users having a playlist for themselves ;D This is the new Gears 3, if you don't like it STFU and move on.

Rite?

Lothars

Risk Breaker said:
Who is bitching and being annoying and not nice at all to other people?

Maybe YOU need to STFU and accept that most of us don't like the noobish stupid POS weapon.

It looks like we are getting the playlist sooner or later anyway so yeah, the SOS noobs will have to adapt to the pro gnasher users having a playlist for themselves ;D This is the new Gears 3, if you don't like it STFU and move on.

Rite?
I still think the SOS is a great addition to the game and I don't necessarily think there should be a gnasher only playlist.

It's really the same argument from reach regarding armor lock, The SOS is fine as it is even though I use the Gnasher.

It is getting annoying to see SOS bitching every single page and with a gnasher only playlist, it's not going to stop.

Quinn is currently discussing the Hammerburst with the community over at the official forums. Again, I'm really happy to see he's taking the time to talk MP balancing with the players.

We've noticed some of the concerns that you guys have with the Hammerburst and we have been tracking its statistical performance since launch. So because of all that, we are open to tweaking the weapon but we want to know what you guys really want.

Should we look into tweaking it or is it fine the way it is? If it needs "fixing", what should be done?
It seems that you guys feel most strongly about increasing the magazine capacity. That is simple to do but there is one little problem. There are exactly 20 tick marks representing the 20 rounds inside the magazine. Increasing the capacity of the magazine would not be visually represented. So when firing the weapon with 25 rounds per mag, sometimes there would be a half tick taken away and other times a full tick. Looks sloppy.

Would that bother you?
Ok Headshot multiplier. My issue with this is that the weapon isn't really a precision weapon. It's more of a spam weapon. The best way to use it is to spam the trigger really fast while aiming at an opponent.

The headshot multiplier would lead to randomness with the feedback on both the user and the victim. To explain, there is actually a bullet spread to the weapon when firing it L-trigger only. That spread (which by definition) has randomness to it. Which means that one encounter you can get lucky and down someone faster while you may not be so lucky the next time.

Rewarding players with good aim is great for a true precision weapon that has a cap on the fire rate that the user has to master. Similar to the Boltok. That is a true precision weapon that requires more accuracy from the user than the Hammerburst does. Which makes it a great candidate for a headshot multiplier.
Personally speaking I'd be ecstatic they made the clip just a teensy bit larger, I wouldn't even touch the regular damage values, headshot multiplier or active reload at all. Let's see how this discussion develops...

njean777

Lothars said:
I still think the SOS is a great addition to the game and I don't necessarily think there should be a gnasher only playlist.

It's really the same argument from reach regarding armor lock, The SOS is fine as it is even though I use the Gnasher.

It is getting annoying to see SOS bitching every single page and with a gnasher only playlist, it's not going to stop.

Thank you, move on people.

Jrmint

Wow this Boom/Snipes playlist is horrible.

I have never seen Gears so campy in my life, no one will come out of hiding, and then when I go looking for people of course I get picked off by some Boomshot camper. Terrible.

And what is the extra Halloween event? I saw nothing related to this. Or is it just the Boom/Snipes thing?

-PXG-

Jrmint said:
Wow this Boom/Snipes playlist is horrible.

I have never seen Gears so campy in my life, no one will come out of hiding, and then when I go looking for people of course I get picked off by some Boomshot camper. Terrible.

And what is the extra Halloween event? I saw nothing related to this. Or is it just the Boom/Snipes thing?

Ya think?

Wake me up when they've made the Classic playlist official and permanent.

Tawpgun

Lothars said:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It is the same, but that implies that Armor Lock was a good addition to the game and "fine as it was" Which it was NOT. Members at 343 realize its faults and Bungie before them removed it out of a lot of playlists.

So I'll use the same response I used against the people crying to adapt to armor lock and stop complaining...

WE COMPLAIN BECAUSE WE CARE. We want a fun, fair, Gears experience. We feel the SOS takes away from that. If we were to not complain and take it as it was, nothing would get changed. This goes for any aspect. If people didn't complain about gnasher's dominating the game and rifles sucking they wouldn't have changed anything. But clearly people did complain, I was one of them.

Detox

On the one hand Quinn says adding multipliers etc would make the hammerburst feel random. I would like to see if he can give me a exact way the gnasher works you can never really tell how much damage you've done.

X-Frame

I love the Hammerburst but my issue is the clip is too small, as has already been brought up. So it's great they're discussing it.

I always seem to down an opponent but then I don't have enough remaining in the clip to actually kill them most of the time and switching to another weapon usually means another enemy already killed them.

I never have this problem with the Lancer, which is why it is still the "best" rifle IMO.

Lothars

A27 Tawpgun said:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

It is the same, but that implies that Armor Lock was a good addition to the game and "fine as it was" Which it was NOT. Members at 343 realize its faults and Bungie before them removed it out of a lot of playlists.

So I'll use the same response I used against the people crying to adapt to armor lock and stop complaining...

WE COMPLAIN BECAUSE WE CARE. We want a fun, fair, Gears experience. We feel the SOS takes away from that. If we were to not complain and take it as it was, nothing would get changed. This goes for any aspect. If people didn't complain about gnasher's dominating the game and rifles sucking they wouldn't have changed anything. But clearly people did complain, I was one of them.
Yes and now the game is way better for it, the SOS is not a bad addition to the game, It seems like the majority of complaints about the SOS are from the same people that were fine with the gnasher being so overpowered, I have no issues with the tweaks or changes that have been done.

I agree though that the hammerburst needs some changes and it's good they are looking into it.

Kydd BlaZe

njean777 said:
I don't want the SOS to go, its better then the gnasher for me, so of course I would be angry. Sorry bro gnasher is old news.
Which is exactly why we're asking for a seperate playlist. Don't worry...you and the rest of the SOS noobs can continue to play peek a boo with each other in the current playlists.

2San

Yesterday was a dream with buttery smooth connection, today lag is back. Luckily we had enough people online to just private match so was a good day of Gears anyway.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Which is exactly why we're asking for a seperate playlist. Don't worry...you and the rest of the SOS noobs can continue to play peek a boo with each other in the current playlists.
It's attitudes like this that disgust me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
thewesker said:
It's cool, I've warmed myself to the thought of all the Gnasher/IWantToPlayGears1InGears3ButWon'tJustPlayGears1 masturbaters/1337 banishing themselves away into their own playlist. It'd improve the multiplayer experience for the rest a ton, considerably reduce hate mail, and you wouldn't have people telling you how you should be playing all the time. Separating two conflicting ideologies: playing Gears 1/Gnashers only/Final Destination and playing to have fun, may just solve everyone's problems.

It's a win-win, really. Hell, even if they remove the SOS together (which is something people still seem to convince themselves is feasible or a rational possibility), I say segregate anyways. Gears elitists are some of the worst, up there with Halo elitists. Something in their souls doesn't understand "we get it, you like the Gnasher better." This doesn't refer to Gears fans as a whole though, plenty of hardcore Gears fans in this thread that do have their head on straight, OP for example. Others just paint and ugly up that picture of the stereotypical fan and bring everyone down. This thread is a testament to this, because people are still personally offended by this weapon, and refuse to shake it. Shit, Dark Phoenix is 2000x more broken than the SOS and in MahvelGAF we still have other things to talk bitch talk about in Mahvel threads.

MjFrancis

I just ragequit a quick match where I was up against 5 human opponents and had a team full of bots on the Boomshot/Longshot event. My team was killing themselves left and right, missing every other shot against some high level opponents and I couldn't peak my head out without getting a longshot to the face. Screw that noise. Seriously, why 1v5?

Still, the other two matches I dabbled in were an interesting enough distraction for a short while.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Seth Balmore said:
Quinn is currently discussing the Hammerburst with the community over at the official forums. Again, I'm really happy to see he's taking the time to talk MP balancing with the players.

Personally speaking I'd be ecstatic they made the clip just a teensy bit larger, I wouldn't even touch the regular damage values, headshot multiplier or active reload at all. Let's see how this discussion develops...

I don't get his "true precision" stance, because the Lancer has a headshot modifier, and I'm not sure, but I think the Retro has one as well.

And you better believe I use my Hammerburst as a precision weapon, especially when heads are poked out of cover. As much as I'd like to see both a longer clip and the headshot bonus back again, at the minimum I need to have a headshot damage bonus again for it.

It ain't fair for the easiest rifle to have it while the gun where manual fire is best doesn't get a bonus for skill. Plus the stats show overwhelmingly-popular the Lancer is - try and make the Hammerburst more appealing to others as well.

Let's talk Horde for a sec.

Had an awesome run with some randoms yesterday on Overpass. That map is so excellent for Horde, all you have to do is get the base on the top established. After that have one person get a silverback and then have the other four people fight at the base of the overpass until they have enough money to buy bases there. Once you have turrets built, you are probably good until the late 40s. Efficient horde killing.

With the Silverback the person at the top just has to hang out where the bridge meets the overpass. You can snipe almost anything on the "depot station" side of the map and duck back inside cover when needed. If you take too much damage, just ditch the beast for a bit and earn money to repair it in that wave.

Here's some speculation on where ideal placement of a silverback would be on each map. Ideally each location has a spot the silverback can hide in for waves 30 and up when you start to take significant damage.

Gridlock
Probably on the Restaurant or Bank on both sides of the map. Belltower would not work out because boomers will fuck you up.

Checkout
At either end of the map, possibly ducking into one of the side rooms with the pistol drops.

Drydock
The part marked Anchor on the map is very advantageous. You can nail everything that comes out of the pump station section of the map and give fire support to most positions from here. You can also pull back when fire gets heavy.

Hotel
Probably the sniper rifle spawn, but I still haven't reached wave 50 on this map.

Thrashball
Mulcher spawn is probably ideal but you'll need to have the entrances to the room behind you guarded by two capable teams otherwise you'll get raped from behind.

Mercy
Ideally you'd want to be on the balcony, but there's almost no cover there so the sanctuary is probably the best spot.

Old Town
Not sure I've ever seen this map come up for Horde. Would be tough to say, probably near the spawn points if anything.

Trenches
Probably the mulcher spawn.

Overpass
Top of the overpass as mentioned above. Unique because the silverback requires almost no support on this map. Just build a few barriers and you're good for a long time.

Sandbar
Up on the overlook for sure.

Need two Gears pros to help me finish on Insane. Just the final boss. Someone who has the headless chicken mutator preferably. Send me a message on Live. GT is RyoGCH.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
thewesker said:

Except the SOS is infact a noob weapon. It was intentionally designed for new unskilled players. This has been said time and time again by the developers.

Those of us who don't want crutches in our game play shouldn't have to put up with them.

Robot Pants

Alienshogun said:
Except the SOS is infact a noob weapon. It was intentionally designed for new unskilled players. This has been said time and time again by the developers.

Those of us who don't want crutches in our game play shouldn't have to put up with them.

^^^^^^

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:

There is a coherent way of articulating this, like you, somewhat, have.

Then there's the "I'm an asshole and the SOS has killed my family" kind of way.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
There is a coherent way of articulating this, like you, somewhat, have.

Then there's the "I'm an asshole and the SOS has killed my family" kind of way.

It's the internet, and this is a video game forum. You're gonna get hyperbole when it pertains to things people don't like, especially when that "don't like" may be the only thing keeping them from absolutely loving a game.

IMO, they should make a SOS playlist, and by default everything else should not have it. Let the new guys who want to use crutches play with each other. Let everyone else play Gears.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even give a fuck that much about the SOS. It's not OP, it doesn't get me when I know it's there.

However, it's effect on the overall game has absolutely no redeeming value. It's hurt Gears more than help it.

The only thing it MAY have helped is to make Epic's wallet a bit fatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom