• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttonsmasher

Neo Member
X-factor when being the last man standing would be COOL. Fast roadie run, your gnasher turns into a SOS, your clips are all active rounds, and your health regens 10x as fast. Give everybody a shot.
:|

Lima said:
First off don't waste your money on barriers. They are useless. If you have some spare money build just the basic version to stop the enemies from rushing you.

One guy should save up all of his money to buy the silverback. You should be able to get one around wave 10/11.

Now an armored troika is also pretty useful so the other guys should save up their money for that.

On top of that you could build a level 3 sentry that will stun enemies which is pretty useful and stops them from rushing you.

Only thing I wouldn't buy is decoys. There are situations where they come in handy but that is really rare. And for all the money they cost they are not really helping you out that much. Maybe that will change with the onyx guard upgrade from the DLC though.

And from around wave 11 it is pretty basic stuff then. The guy in the silverback uses all his money to keep it alive and the other guys repair the turrets/sentries.

Using this we I got to wave 40 on insane without mutators last night with random people that I met while playing public horde.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I will try those out next time I play.

Lima

Adam Blade said:
I disagree with the barrier part. The laser wires can be pretty helpful on non-boss waves.

They cost so much money and will get destroyed either way.

That is really one thing that is bugging me about horde. Either make the fortifications stronger or give me more money epic.

malfcn

buttonsmasher said:
X-factor when being the last man standing would be COOL. Fast roadie run, your gnasher turns into a SOS, your clips are all active rounds, and your health regens 10x as fast. Give everybody a shot.
:|

Epic Weekend.

I'm genuinely baffled why Epic are releasing Horde maps first.

It should be multiplayer maps, keeping the game relevant amongst Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3.

I feel like waiting till January will be too late.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Heavy's Sandvich said:

It should be multiplayer maps, keeping the game relevant amongst Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3.

It will, at least for me.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier beta baby!

Fallacy

Neo Member
Heavy's Sandvich said:

I pretty much agree, the maps definitely feel a little stale; especially when it seems like I'm playing more and more drydock and sandbar.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
-PXG- said:
At the end of the day, Epic knows that the dedicated fans will buy their stuff anyway. They have our money, so at this point, nothing really matters. Sure, some will drop off, but most will stick around, in hopes that, eventually, their suggestions will be addressed and put into effect. Some folks are pissed now, but let them simmer down, and once Epic announces their next game in a few years, watch those people jump back on board. People forget things quickly, especially when you put something shiny in front of them. I'm surprised Gears 3 sold as well as it did, after the train wreck that was Gears 2. Then again, the beta won back a lot of good will, and rightfully so. Gears actually works now. That alone makes the game worth buying. Aside from a few balancing issues, Gears 3 is a fantastic game.

They can ignore (to an extent) the "hardcore" players, knowing that most will put up with the game. There is no such guarantee with new/ casual players. Thats why things like the SOS, the Retro, progression bars, medals, ribbons and special events exist. It's to keep those who really aren't into Gears to stay hooked and not play (read: buy) something else. Epic knows that vets of the series will stay, because no other game offers the core mechanics that Gears has. Those players are content with the bread and butter close quarters combat that the series is known for. All the other accouterments are for everyone else, or those who want a little more bang for their buck.
Exactly why a classic playlist is a perfect solution to this mess.

Ramirez

enzo_gt said:
That's like saying the existence of Armor Lock indicated that after almost a decade and 5 games, Bungie doesn't understand their fanbase.

Your deduction is unsubstantial.

The lead sandbox guys on Reach weren't long time Bungie people, and they didn't have a clue as to what made Halo great, as shown with Reach.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I finished the campaign finally in co-op on hardcore. Enjoyed the game enough that I revisited Gears 1+2 right after.

I never completed Gears 2 as I forced my playthrough over the past few years to coincide with a friend for co-op, but never made it past Act IV due to conflicting schedules. Cleaned the rest up solo and dove back in for an Insane run. Final Act of Gears 2 was a HUGE help in filling many of the plot gaps I kept wondering about in Gears 3. Actually, despite the impressive technical/visual upgrade in part 3, Gears 2 still is hands-down my favorite campaign of the bunch. I have yet to play much of Gears 3 on Insane to directly compare, but the setpieces are even crazier and I really appreciate the focus on cooperative flanking tactics that bog standard arena layouts present. Gears 3 felt a bit lacking here, too much straightforward shooting galleries and not enough alternate routes to 'surprise' the enemy forces. The pacing felt tighter and more consistent, plus no lambent.

Gears 1 actually still holds up pretty well too. Normal battles feature some fantastic layouts to really get an edge on the enemy forces if you take a moment to explore the fighting arenas, and for the most part, the game moves equally well between major setpieces and slight gimmick moments without overstaying their welcome. Gears 1 suffers hugely in Act 4 and 5 however. The game truly feels rushed at that point as any narrative explanation for objectives all but disappears(heading to the Fenix mansion why exactly? Now I am on a train with the lightmass bomb?? Control stopped feeding me information about anything!) The final boss on Insane is bullshit too. Surprisingly lots of people are still playing co-op campaign, so it didn't take too long before a stranger jumped in to help kill that SOB. Funny how quickly I plowed through the game solo on Insane as well, the core gameplay is barely different among the three games, so my skill-set transferred easily and I truly felt far more competent at the game in 2011 compared to my first play in 2006.

Looking forward to a solo Insane run in Gears 3 now. I love all the subtle call-backs to previous games as well. One of the first collectibles in Gears 3 is the $20 Dom owes you, which is taken directly from a slight quote in Gears 1 Marcus mentions off-hand when you are first introduced to Cole-Train("Hey Marcus remember when we watched the Cougars win that big game? I remember you still owe me $20!"). Pretty cool.

DoomGyver

Only a handful of my friends are playing Gears this weekend, and we're what? Five weeks out.

Classic playlist Epic, classic playlist.

2San

Full Recovery said:
Only a handful of my friends are playing Gears this weekend, and we're what? Five weeks out.

Classic playlist Epic, classic playlist.
Really I doubt that's it. I think BF3 is more at fault in this case(at least I hope that's the case). Honestly even if you factor in the SOS and the Retro, the game is still the best Gears experience to date imo. The game isn't suddenly going to become much more amazing(it's going to be a lot less annoying though).

I honestly don't understand why more people aren't playing this, it's one of the better multiplayer games out there.

edit:We really do need more maps though.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
2San said:
Really I doubt that's it. I think BF3 is more at fault in this case(at least I hope that's the case). Honestly even if you factor in the SOS and the Retro, the game is still the best Gears experience to date imo. The game isn't suddenly going to become much more amazing(it's going to be a lot less annoying though).
I disagree with this. The annoyance is really what makes my sessions 2-3 matches instead of 8-10 matches. When dudes have the SOS all the time it makes me just say "What the fuck am I playing this shit for with this stupid ass gun in it for"

I think Gears 3 is the best Gears game but the inclusion of the SOS hampers my (and apparently others) experience just that much.

zlatko

Banned
Played 2 games of the event playlist, laughed and went to a quick TDM.

Got unlucky that it was Overpass, and my last death in the game was beyond awful. I'm at the part where the rubble is on the top side of over pass. I had managed to rush up there and not get hit, and some guy with a SOS from right where the Scorcher is located, 1 foot closer to the steps that lead to the rubble, fired it off and killed me from there all the way to the rubble as I was firing Lancer at him.

Turned the game off, and I'm off to more BF3.

Only idiots defend that weapon.

deviant1

This Boomsnipes playlist just doesn't work on some maps. This game needs new maps and to fix the map rotation ASAP. Playing the same 2 maps 8 matches in a row is just retarded.

My attempt at a Gears pumpkin. I was too lazy to print a stencil and I also messed up the teeth :(

6292920535_48e8c83272_z.jpg

2San

Stat Flow said:
I disagree with this. The annoyance is really what makes my sessions 2-3 matches instead of 8-10 matches. When dudes have the SOS all the time it makes me just say "What the fuck am I playing this shit for with this stupid ass gun in it for"

I think Gears 3 is the best Gears game but the inclusion of the SOS hampers my (and apparently others) experience just that much.
I see what you mean, I guess it's just what is an annoyance for me is a deal breaker for you.

It's those few matches where you go against a full team and those matches where you see some amazing ultra offensive gnasher player that makes it worth it for me. They are so much fun that I can look past the matches where the SOS is screwing up the flow. The high are just so high in this game, the SOS does make the lows unnecessarily low. Still a great game all round though imo.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
2San said:
I see what you mean, I guess it's just what is an annoyance for me is a deal breaker for you.

It's those few matches where you go against a full team and those matches where you see some amazing ultra offensive gnasher player that makes it worth it for me. They are so much fun that I can look past the matches where the SOS is screwing up the flow. The high are just so high in this game, the SOS does make the lows unnecessarily low. Still a great game all round though imo.
I see what you're getting at, and I agree that when CQC in Gears 3 is mostly Gnasher bases, it's probably the most fun you can have with Gears, because of how well the rifles are balanced with the Gnasher in this game (for the most part). But then it's a experience-by-experience basis on how often that happens.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ramirez said:
The lead sandbox guys on Reach weren't long time Bungie people, and they didn't have a clue as to what made Halo great, as shown with Reach.
Not really, aside from AAs, Reach was Halo through and through, and it's the pinnacle of FPS game design otherwise. Still feels like Halo, levelled up.

enzo_gt said:
Not really, aside from AAs, Reach was Halo through and through, and it's the pinnacle of FPS game design otherwise. Still feels like Halo, levelled up.

Sort of agree, alot of stuff got tweaked without cause and bloom+ player inertia are horrible additions as is reduced speed and jump height.

Any news on RAAMs shadow?

Ramirez

enzo_gt said:

No, just no. If Reach is the pinnacle of FPS gaming design, I want off at the next stop. This is a Gears thread, but if you'd wish to continue this, I'll be over in the Reach thread.

Lingitiz

I'm starting to realize that running solo in this game is a horrible idea. Might just play co-op modes if I don't have a team from now on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ramirez said:
No, just no. If Reach is the pinnacle of FPS gaming design, I want off at the next stop. This is a Gears thread, but if you'd wish to continue this, I'll be over in the Reach thread.
Pinnacle may be a strong word. I have a feeling you may have gripes about the combat design more than the game design as a whole, from what I remember from arguments in the Halo thread we've had ad nauseum before I stopped posting there, with you referencing the sandbox design and all. Presumably relating to bloom and all that as well, which are legitimate complaints discussed to death at HaloGAF. I'd rather not stir the year-old-pot.

smik

Alienshogun said:
It will, at least for me.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier beta baby!

lol I have been waiting for GR:FS for so long now (5 years since GRAW2) honestly i was huge into GRAW 1 & 2,
one of the most underrated games to come out so early in the "next gen" life cyle

so many Mp modes, Co-op missions along with a kick ass campaign, GRAW was practically the first to implement (16players)
Co-op Mission/bots or "Horde" as they call it nowadays

on topic, GoW3 is really suffering from Map selection and the urge to play it daily has started to pass on me now :(
3 withheld maps that should have been there in the first place just isnt going to do it for me

zlatko

Banned
Another game I'm looking forward to aside from Ghost Recon FS, is Spec Ops: The Line. I was in the closed beta like 2 years ago now? Not sure how long it's been since that game has gone off the radar. If you like third person shooters like Gears mixed with some Ghost Recon elements, then people will be seriously impressed by the game.

No clue WHY they delayed it this long, because the product I played was a pretty close to finished game that played great aside from some balance tweaks needed for weapons. Hopefully this giant gap doesn't mean they decided to scrap all they had made and instead are working on something completely different. :(

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Trenches.

Overpass.

Sandbar.

Drydock.

Thrashball.

REPEAT.

I seriously feel like there are only five maps in this game. I will get others RARELY, but this is a big problem when it comes to longevity of sessions.

smik

zlatko said:
Another game I'm looking forward to aside from Ghost Recon FS, is Spec Ops: The Line. I was in the closed beta like 2 years ago now? Not sure how long it's been since that game has gone off the radar. If you like third person shooters like Gears mixed with some Ghost Recon elements, then people will be seriously impressed by the game.

No clue WHY they delayed it this long, because the product I played was a pretty close to finished game that played great aside from some balance tweaks needed for weapons. Hopefully this giant gap doesn't mean they decided to scrap all they had made and instead are working on something completely different. :(

yeh i was in the Spec Ops Beta too, jeez that game had some serious potential really enjoyed the hell out of that beta.
im afraid it looks like its going to be cancelled because we haven't heard a peep ever since the beta broke loose,

David2k persists on their forums that the team is still working hard on the title

Ha. The terrible map rotation is awesome when Overpass is the main map to get shafted. Fuck me, that map is just poorly designed and boring to both play and look at.

Seriously, though, I need some new maps. Any word on where they're at in terms of implementing the DLC maps into Versus and whatnot?

enzo_gt said:
That's like saying the existence of Armor Lock indicated that after almost a decade and 5 games, Bungie doesn't understand their fanbase.

Your deduction is unsubstantial.

That's funny, since reach's multiplayer was headed up by a guy they picked up from the shadow run team and not a bungie long timer. And now longtime former bungie guys are busily undoing all his shit with title updates.

Narpas Sword0 said:
That's funny, since reach's multiplayer was headed up by a guy they picked up from the shadow run team and not a bungie long timer.

Sage lost something in the transition. Shadowrun is very likely the deepest, most skillful, most balanced console FPS this gen.

Reach is...I don't even want to think about it.

Anyone out there interested in the final boss on insane? I've been trying to finish it in a public for weeks but can't find a group good enough. We definitely need someone with the right mutators to host. If we could get an all GAF game to do it that'd be great. I can probably rope someone else in if we need to. So we'd only need two GAF members. PM me, or send me a message on Live. RyoGCH is the tag.

Kajiba

Played Boom Snipes playlist last night. After Two games I really hated it lol. Hope this pumpkin playlist be fun when it releases or is it going to be like the bunny mask thing they had for the beta when its for all playlist for one day?

eu55s7.jpg

Either way I'm still going to love it. That shit was cool when they did that.

Jrmint

maxcer0081 said:
gears-of-war-3-can-you-dig-it-playlist.png

this sounds ok. I played one round of boom/snipes before i went back to the regular playlist. horrible combo
That playlist you took a pic of, is that all Diggers? Also is it out now?

Boom/Snipes is seriously one of the worst ideas they've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom