• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good on Epic or Microsoft for getting this fixed day one. I'm still going to wait for Rod's live stream to see what the mysterious Nov. 1 multiplayer announcement is. Depending on that, I might make a lil' impulse purchase...

To anyone who downloaded DLC 1: Any news on TU2?

Addnan

Seth Balmore said:
Good on Epic or Microsoft for getting this fixed day one. I'm still going to wait for Rod's live stream to see what the mysterious Nov. 1 multiplayer announcement is. Depending on that, I might make a lil' impulse buy...
Free MP maps. Includes Clocktower :O

The “Versus Booster Map Pack” will feature five explosive maps available in public matchmaking playlists – two favorite maps from “Gears 1,” Swamp and Clocktower, as well as Azura, Rustlung and Blood Drive from the “Horde Command Pack.”

What map is swamp in Gears 1 lol.

Addnan said:

Is this for real? o_O

But... wait wait wait. Let me get this straight.

If I wait until Nov. 24th, do I get Azura, Rustlung and Blood Drive for free together with Clocktower and Bullet Marsh? Isn't that a bit of a ripoff to those who pay for DLC 1? I don't get it.

Addnan said:

I don't get it. What's the point of buying the horde command pack if all of the three maps included are going to be included with this supposedly free versus booster pack?

mernst23

i nerini del buio said:
I don't get it. What's the point of buying the horde command pack if all of the three maps included are going to be included with this supposedly free versus booster pack?

Silverback rockets in horde man, totally worth $10

Edit: After getting gouged for Combustible/Snowblind/Dark Corners in Gears 2, I think i'm going to wait. Unless gamestop takes my $20 off coupon for the season pass which doesn't seem to work online right now

I take it this must be Epic's way of not fragmenting the player base. They make money off season pass buyers but we all get the maps for free if we wait a bit. So people buying DLC 1 are just paying for character skins and some Horde improvements.

... that's not going to sit well with some peeps.

Seth Balmore said:
I take it this must be Epic's way of not fragmenting the player base. They make money off season pass buyers but we all get the maps for free if we wait a bit. So people buying DLC 1 are just paying for character skins and some Horde improvements.

Works for me! I might even buy the Season Pass now, mainly for the single player campaign content.

Seth Balmore said:

I don't mind really. We are getting all DLC at a discount thanks to the Season Pass anyway. If we're lucky they will make even more maps for free thanks to the paid DLC.

AndyMoogle said:
I don't mind really. We are getting all DLC at a discount thanks to the Season Pass anyway. If we're lucky they will make even more maps for free thanks to the paid DLC.
Yeah, it's cool. I wonder how many of Epic's firstborns were offered to appease Microsoft enough to let them release a free map pack, haha.

Might get the season pass after they detail what DLC 3 will be about. I must admit I was only interested in DLC 1 for the maps but I'm really keen on RAAM's Shadow.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Well fuck this, I don't give a shit about horde. I'll wait until the 24th. But fuck that wait.

Also, Where the hell is our classic playlist?

Montresor

What is this fucking bullshit. At what point does the season pass turn into something I can download? Where do I go to get the DLC? I don't see anything on my screen.

I have a feeling this has something to do with the ridiculous glitch that doesn't let me use my liquid metal skins unless I'm on my slim 360 (that's the 360 that I used to purchase the season pass).

Ever since I started playing with my arcade 360, I inexplicably lost the ability to use the liquid metal skins. I really hope this bullshit doesn't extend to the horde DLC as well. Jesus Christ.

Am I wrong when I say that no matter where you buy DLC, you can still use it on any console as long as you're connected to live? I'm pretty sure that's how it works, no? ....

Seth Balmore said:
Yeah, it's cool. I wonder how many of Epic's firstborns were offered to appease Microsoft enough to let them release a free map pack, haha.

Might get the season pass after they detail what DLC 3 will be about. I must admit I was only interested in DLC 1 for the maps but I'm really keen on RAAM's Shadow.

I'm sure MS makes much more money off the season pass than only offering them separately. I know they never release DLC sales numbers, but I bet games that offer 3-5 DLC offerings over a couple of years (Gears, Halo) see a significant decrease in sales with each passing DLC as they get farther away from the launch of the game.

lush

YuriLowell said:
Yeah FUCK THEM for giving me free maps.

FUCK YOU EPIC.
I can certainly understand being upset if you already payed for the Season Pass. Then again you pretty much take a gamble with the Season Pass and you should've known the risks.

Montresor

YuriLowell said:
Yeah FUCK THEM for giving me free maps.

FUCK YOU EPIC.

This was a lazy post, but I can forgive that, since my post was just as lazy.

If you would think for a second, you'd realize I don't mind free maps. But I do mind paying money for nothing but characters/skins/fortifications.

Your post was disingenuous as hell though. You should've easily been able to make the inference that I'm upset at the cost paid for just characters/skins/fortifications. Come on, like anyone would really bitch about free maps.

Anyway, honestly? I would not care, I would be happy as hell, if my 2400-point season pass even worked. Like I've said before, for the last couple of weeks, I have not had access to the liquid metal skins, and today I can't access the new DLC, even though I bought the season pass. It's messed up. I'm feeling particularly grumpy only because of this lame issue. I really love Gears and I try to refrain from bitching about it. Matter of fact if I had access to these maps right now, all I would say is "Sweet buddies! 2 new free maps this U.S. Thanksgiving" instead of what I said earlier.

ShaneB

Uh, what? Am I reading this right? The maps today that would use up a season pass slot are going free in 3ish weeks?

Great news I guess if you want free maps, and that's great, but what the hell did I waste points on the season pass for? I don't care at all about Horde really either. What a clusterfuck.

Moofers

Just spent the last 45 minutes playing Horde on Azura. Some quick impressions:

-It worked in matchmaking! People have been saying the maps wouldn't show up in matchmaking, but Azura was the very first map we got.

-Azura is an awesome map. Sunny and bright, with some long hallways that offer great sniping opportunities. Also, a big courtyard where you can put those heavy weapons to good use.

-Command Centers are sweet. Level 1 is sniper teams that take out roughy 3-4 enemies. Level 2 is mortars and well, those can take out a lot more depending on how packed together the enemies are. Very sweet. Can't wait to see what the rest of the unlocks are.

-Your fortifications that were maxed out are now at the start of a new level. Its going to take a loooot of money to get the new turrets and decoys unlocked. I didn't even try putting money into the silverback.

-New character skins are pretty boss. Bernie is a tough old bird and the Onyx Guard sounds like a hardass. I like it.

Overall, I'm very excited and stoked. I don't care if the maps go free in a month, I wanted my Horde stuff and I got it. I'll get my $10 out of the maps over the next month anyway, considering how much I play this.

ShaneB said:
Uh, what? Am I reading this right? The maps today that would use up a season pass slot are going free in 3ish weeks?

Great news I guess if you want free maps, and that's great, but what the hell did I waste points on the season pass for? I don't care at all about Horde really either. What a clusterfuck.

The free update puts the maps into rotation in Versus, but you still need to buy the Horde Command pack to use them in Horde 2.0 and to unlock the new character skins.

I've played a few matches already, and I know I won't be using any of them for awhile, simply because EVERYBODY is using the fucking Onyx Guard now.

lush said:
I can certainly understand being upset if you already payed for the Season Pass. Then again you pretty much take a gamble with the Season Pass and you should've known the risks.

My post was 100% sarcastic.

I only care about the maps. I might pickup the single player DLC and thats it.

So there's this thing on the event calendar under Nov. 1 that says "Alpha is coming!".

Quinn echoes it on his twitter account and tells people to watch Rod's stream later for more info.

Then Peter Knepley (gameplay programmer) quotes Dom in Gears 1 on his twitter account: "That better not be Rojas down there."

Rojas was a dude in Alpha Squad in Gears 1.

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?!

lush

YuriLowell said:
My post was 100% sarcastic.

I only care about the maps. I might pickup the single player DLC and thats it.
My sarcasm meter is obviously broken then.

I'm the same way, give me maps. Don't care about the single player at all, probably stay on Act 2 for a couple of months.

Hollllly crap at them releasing the maps for free on November 24.

I bet everyone who already paid $30 for the season pass is pissed. lol.

Robot Pants

Dear God. CLOCKTOWER?!
That map is great...for Gears 1 and 4v4.
It's gonna be a huge cluster fuck with 5v5 and the respawn playlists. lolol choose a different map plz.

Also Bulletmarsh to feature Mulchers where the Longshot usually is, and a scorcher for the boom. lol oh, epic.

It's weird.

I loved Warzone and Execution in Gears and Gears 2, but KOTH is really the only competitive mode I enjoy a lot in Gears 3.

Capture the Leader would be fun with a full team I guess, but I can't find a group that really likes to play it with any regularity.

Horde 2.0 is so damn good though, it's pretty much single-handedly keeping Gears of War 3 in my personal GOTY discussion.

ShaneB

AnEternalEnigma said:
Hollllly crap at them releasing the maps for free on November 24.

I bet everyone who already paid $30 for the season pass is pissed. lol.

I'd be fuming if I didn't get the season pass for free. Still feels like a waste knowing those points could've been spent elsewhere.

malfcn

Ah yes, the Gears forums has already figured it out.

DLC 1 for $10 unlocks
3 Characters
2 Weapons
And Horde Stuff.

or

PAID = 3 Maps
FREE = 5 Maps

zlatko

Banned
Fuck. I was all set on trading in my copy, but Bullet Marsh has me hesitating now. Ugh.

; ; If they would just announce a classic playlist/nerf to SOS/better dedi server awareness, then I'd be 100% set on holding onto the copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom