• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
First impressions of Alpha:

-It is so fucking GOOD.
-It seems the specific gametypes in Alpha are randomized between TDM, Execution, and KOTH. I've play an Execution on Gridlock and a TDM on Sandbar.
-The gridlock game felt like Gears 1. It was scary, and beautiful. execution games are first to 4.
-The SOS was a pickup on the Sandbar. I WAS OKAY WITH THIS! Either that, or I think bots can still spawn with Retro and SOS, I don't know if this is permanent or not but the bad thing is that people can pick these up. Still not a big deal.
-CQC is pretty much exclusively Gnasher based, and it's beautiful
-Weapons after pickup and not use really do make a difference, the fact that we can camp at weapons again like in Gears 1 is great! :lol

In other words, it's like Gears 1 with Gears 3 mechanics and maps.

Number of people playing in my region has gone from 5000 to 9000 since I turned on my Xbox a bit ago.

lush

I gotta say, today was a good day....

Stoked to jump in that playlist later tonight, off at 8.

Why make the Hammerburst a pickup?

Brakara said:
I honestly doesn't understand the bitching about the free maps. The maps in the Horde pack are not playable in public versus. We all knew that. The free maps are only playable in public versus. I.e. the free maps don't take anything away from what we have paid for in the Horde pack.

Hmm. So, is the idea that the maps will hit public versus rotation on the 24th? I'm tempted to buy, even if just for the skins (don't care for Horde), but if there was a chance that they'd hit public rotation before they went up for free, I'd be even more tempted.

allan-bh said:
I play in Rustlung in public TDM.

Don't be trollin', mang! (I hope you aren't)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I am so proud of Epic that I might actually buy this DLC even if shit is coming out for free later on. More things to play Alpha on = better! Wait, those maps aren't playable on MP? Fuck that.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
AnEternalEnigma said:
Get rid of the SOS entirely and then I'll care.
Come on, man. The Sandbar game I played had no one picking up the SOS (I thought it was a boltok on the overhead map) and when someone used it they got taken out so fast and then quit. This is a playlist with hardly any SOS usage, if any.

"Something to keep in mind here is that this is only the first version of Alpha and the success or failure of this playlist is predicated upon how much you (the community) play and contribute to it."

ShogunX

Setting up a few private matches on the new maps if people are interested. Only the host needs the maps so anyone can play.

Throw me a message on Live - GT = Shogun PaiN if you want few games.

Seth Balmore said:
Not having to worry about a Retro or an SOS around every corner...

exactly what I was thinking ç_ç
they need to put hammies as loadout though (and switch gorgons with boltoks)

oh and mercy as it is now is extremely campy

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh, I see now, these are the swaps (I was so excited when it got announced I didn't slow down and read everything):

Gorgon Pistol is now Hammerburst
Boltok Pistol is now Retro Lancer
Scorcher is now Sawed-Off

AndyMoogle said:
What are we supposed to complain about now? There has to be something.

yeah, nerf the lancer a lil bit XD
alpha playlist make obvious how powerful it is really. endless clip + easy active.
at least the active with the hammerburst is harder to pull off and if you miss you jam the weapon. plus it has a small clip

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
AndyMoogle said:
Technically, since the weapons respawn quicker and the SOS is a pickup, it's possible (especially in TDM) for teams to run around with the SOS.

AndyMoogle said:
I have a legitimate complaint; a legitimate fear, actually: the fact that this current iteration of Alpha is temporary (it's a constantly evolving playlist) and that the awesomeness that it is in its current form may never be made into a permanent playlist. :(((

DoomGyver

I'd still like Alpha to have the option of Lancer or Hammerburst. It's certainly a step in the right direction, and most likely the only playlist I'll be playing.

I have a fear that the annoyance of the SOS - albeit, pretty minor for myself - will be replaced by a greater annoyance in Alpha Playlist Gnasher players that are infinitely better than myself :).

Man, I got UC3 and Sonic generations to play, but this weekend, ooooh BABY I'm back IN THIS BITCH

And now we get FIVE free maps in 3 weeks? There is a God, and his name is CliffyB. Just keep praying to him ya'll, he'll answer you eventually.

ShaneB

I just got home after buying BF3 from being so distraught earlier over Gears and just thinking it was over.

Then I come back and see this Alpha playlist.... well damn, now I have to wait and keep BF3 sealed so I might return it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Full Recovery said:
I can already feel my KDR rising.
I think about 75% of my deaths were from the SOS
KuGsj.gif

zlatko

Banned
Glad you guys enjoyed it, because my experience was busted. It wouldn't pick anything but KOTH when I did alpha. Didn't get execution or TDM once with it, so EPIC can kiss my ass. :/

I was thinking all "oh yay this will be awesome," but I never got anything but KOTH, and that game type can lick fucking sack. You'd think I'd be seeing a rise in Gnasher players, and instead all I saw was a rise in Lancer campers out the whazzoo. You just can't cut me a fucking break huh EPIC? I have the worst luck on the god damn planet when it comes to Gears and the shit it asks me to stomach to just get a morsel of fun squeezed out.

I'll try again later hopefully they fix this stupid bug.

Alpha playlist changes:

Add Hammerburst as a choice to be able to spawn with.

Get rid of SOS entirely. I don't even want it as a pick up. GTFO here with that shit.

Remove KOTH for sure from it, and maybe even remove TDM. Just have execution and call it a day.

exYle said:
Hopefully this signals the end of the "EPIC DOESN'T LISTEN" posts

I really don't see how you can do anything but commend Epic. Sure, they've had some missteps, but at least they're DOING STUFF. So many devs will not even touch their game post-launch, so let's be grateful.

Also, I'm scared to part with my Retro as a starting weapon in Alpha. I need bigger cojones.

zlatko

Banned
mickcenary said:
I really don't see how you can do anything but commend Epic. Sure, they've had some missteps, but at least they're DOING STUFF. So many devs will not even touch their game post-launch, so let's be grateful.

Also, I'm scared to part with my Retro as a starting weapon in Alpha. I need bigger cojones.

Regular Lancer is superior. Cutting men in half and 900 bullets that fire super accurately? What's not to love?

I'm still in the boat of Lancer could make due with less bullets in its clip though. It should have more than Hburst and Retro, but the amount it has now is a little absurd, especially when put into context in Alpha where you have 4 people who are all guaranteed to be using it.

It's my go to rifle, but being on the receiving end when you are pinned to a spot and waiting for him to finally have to reload is a LONG time in which one of his buddies can show up, or if you jump the gun to approach him too early you'll get bopped. Return fire just signals him to duck and active up the bullets he had already sprayed at you, then it's even harder to try to put pressure back on him.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I think the Lancer and Gnasher have perfect synergy in this shit. The Hammy is a great rifle, BUT I really think that the Lancer being powerful now makes people think twice about immediately rushing even when they're in plain site of their target.

I'm fine with 4v4, makes it feel more organized/tighter (especially on execution).

I've been really lucky and haven't gotten one KOTH game. If I ever do, I'll just leave. I trust that when Epic gets their feedback, they will make it so that we're able to choose a gametype after choosing Alpha.

I've hardly seen any SOS usage, in the last game I played it was all Gnasher when it came to CQC.

zlatko

Banned
Stat Flow said:
I think the Lancer and Gnasher have perfect synergy in this shit. The Hammy is a great rifle, BUT I really think that the Lancer being powerful now makes people think twice about immediately rushing even when they're in plain site of their target.

I'm fine with 4v4, makes it feel more organized/tighter (especially on execution).

I've been really lucky and haven't gotten one KOTH game. If I ever do, I'll just leave. I trust that when Epic gets their feedback, they will make it so that we're able to choose a gametype after choosing Alpha.

I've hardly seen any SOS usage, in the last game I played it was all Gnasher when it came to CQC.

My first game two games were a good mix of Lancer fire to stop head on idiotic rushes from my team mates and vice versa, along with a solid dose of Gnasher duels. I think that had to due with it being Checkout and the map allowing for that kind of play. Sandbar was against noobs and they all wanted to just camp the top but were poor at Gnasher, so it was hard to gauage, but I imagine that map 4x Lancer on top of the hill can be a pain in the butt.

Drydock however, and the fact it was KOTH, saw very little Gnasher use and a lot of camping. The same thing with old town twice. Camping and Lancer was also the main focus on Thrashball, but that's because that map is a pile of shit. I forgot how bad the spawns on that map are for KOTH...

It'll be good once the other 5 maps get thrown into the mix for this playlist. Hopefully it'll mean we see far less Overpass/Tball/Sandbar, and more of the maps that appease the CQC and have its Lancer points.

zlatko said:
Regular Lancer is superior. Cutting men in half and 900 bullets that fire super accurately? What's not to love?

I'm still in the boat of Lancer could make due with less bullets in its clip though. It should have more than Hburst and Retro, but the amount it has now is a little absurd, especially when put into context in Alpha where you have 4 people who are all guaranteed to be using it.

It's my go to rifle, but being on the receiving end when you are pinned to a spot and waiting for him to finally have to reload is a LONG time in which one of his buddies can show up, or if you jump the gun to approach him too early you'll get bopped. Return fire just signals him to duck and active up the bullets he had already sprayed at you, then it's even harder to try to put pressure back on him.

I have noticed that it is quite beastly the few times I've used it; I'm just that used to the feel of the Retro, though.

I really hope TDM doesn't devolve into an SOS fest. That'd be annoying. Then again, Alpha may become the "new" TDM.

Fallacy

Neo Member
omg I love the alpha playlist!
Also the gears facebook page mentioned a double XP event anyone know anything about that?

zlatko

Banned
Fallacy said:
omg I love the alpha playlist!
Also the gears facebook page mentioned a double XP event anyone know anything about that?

Is that going on now? I did get to level 78 quite quickly, but that could be the games I played went by in a blur.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seth Balmore said:
I remember. Where's Alienshogun by the way? Haven't seen him in a while.

I'm here, just been busy in school is all.

Deez said:
You better play Alpha zlatko. Just sayin'.

You have redeemed yourself.

AndyMoogle said:

Maps being free to the unwashed masses after us ballers already bought them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom