• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT2| Ashes to Ashes, Peer to Peer

Wait, seriously? I downloaded the "booster pack" a few nights ago, and it said in the item description "this lets you play on dedicated servers", if I'm remembering it right. That's not true? If so, that is incredibly weak.

The game will clearly tell you if you are missing a map pack before searching for a game, and ask if you still want to proceed to play with regular p2p.

So, either you are ignoring the message, or you have both map packs.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The game will clearly tell you if you are missing a map pack before searching for a game, and ask if you still want to proceed to play with regular p2p.

So, either you are ignoring the message, or you have both map packs.

That's weak. The booster map pack's marketplace description is "this free map pack allows you to play on dedicated servers". Guess I do have to have the DLC

That's weak. The booster map pack's marketplace description is "this free map pack allows you to play on dedicated servers". Guess I do have to have the DLC

The booster map pack was the first map pack released. They've not bothered to update the text description for it since then.

You can still play on servers if you choose "Player's Choice".

Brakara

When did it go and die on me? I was just on last night and had a pretty decent run. I'd guess your mileage will vary by where you are in the world and what gametype you prefer, but TDM in the US is always pretty active when I play.

TDM is pretty active in Europe too. If anything, new DLC will re-ignite interest in the game. I mean, the number of people playing are now higher than pre-Fenix Rising. They'll of course fall off a bit with ME3, but I'm sure they'll get a boost again when Forces of Nature is released.

I've been a huge Gears fan since the first game and I played tons of Gears 1/2 online. I loved Gears 3 at first but the SOS killed it for me after a while and I kinda dropped the game. I'm getting back into it and it seems all the SOS users are gone. It feels so good now.

Addnan

I've been a huge Gears fan since the first game and I played tons of Gears 1/2 online. I loved Gears 3 at first but the SOS killed it for me after a while and I kinda dropped the game. I'm getting back into it and it seems all the SOS users are gone. It feels so good now.

Yeah, SOS players seems to have dropped significantly.

You should played Zeta to avoid that mess completely. Lancer/gnasher start, no stopping power.

-PXG-

The SOS isn't an issue anymore. Those fools left ages ago. Only people playing now are those with enough self respect not to use it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The SOS isn't an issue anymore. Those fools left ages ago. Only people playing now are those with enough self respect not to use it.

Comes and goes. Nearly every night when my team starts shitting on the other team they will often switch to retro/sos.

Might want to edit that before a mod sees it.

My bad. Cheers, dude.

It's only bad because of the Spawn Switching. Honestly went from up 5 respawns to tied because we rolled that other team down by 'nades and they all respawned right on us, with freaking spawn protection of course. WTF? Otherwise I don't mind escalation though...gets me all nostalgic and stuff. Plus you MUST be out of your mind if you want overpass back! I can honestly say I haven't missed a single thing about that map

Ha. Yeah, I was being sarcastic; apologies if I didn't get that across effectively. You could have Escalation with Boomshot pickups every 2 meters and it'd still be a more enjoyable experience than Overpass.

On a side note, I've recently being throwing a lot of incendiary through people at point-blank range. I know it'd be hard to code such accuracy, but by god if it isn't annoying.

Roscoe

Neo Member
It's a shame how insular Gears can be online. Just played my first match tonight, and it feels like when I started playing Gears 1 three years after it came out. Is the player pool that small or the matchmaking that bad?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It's a shame how insular Gears can be online. Just played my first match tonight, and it feels like when I started playing Gears 1 three years after it came out. Is the player pool that small or the matchmaking that bad?

You're gonna have to be more clear on wtf you're talking about.

Korosenai

I played a game yesterday, and there was a level 77 who would spawn, whip out the SOS, and camp every corner he could find. I think he went 7-13.

2San

I really doubt it's about self respect. The SOS is nerfed as hell, if you die to a SOS user now, you would get killed by an below average gnasher player as well.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I learned something yesterday. Bots are fucking amazing with incendiaries.

I joined a match on Gridlock. There were only two of us with the rest bots. I died like 3 times from frags thrown halfway across the map. They would just land on top of me from nowhere.

Ballistik

Doesn't look like they played around with Raven Down too much.
318431.png-1024x576.jpg

New look on Jacinto
318427.png-1024x576.jpg

razu

Could someone explain the thinking behind "matchmaking"?

In Gears 1 we could host a match, choose the map and number of rounds. Then, through the power of speech, we could all decide on which map to play next. It was great.

Now, a host robot picks the map, and we get to play first to 2 rounds is the winner, (TDM, because Warzone against bots is, well, insufficient), followed by another robo-picked map...

map q3dm17

BOOM!

Why, oh why, can we not have the option to host a map, and be put into the pool of hosted games? My hosted game would live alongside the robo-hosted games, no problem. So people just joining may drop into a robo game, or mine, they don't care, (or perhaps they do!). But, when a human hosted game finishes, the *human* gets to pick the next map, and number of rounds...! Perhaps the *humans*want a rematch with the same teams, perhaps they want the same teams but on map X... Perhaps they want randomised teams from the players playing now on a random map... Right now it doesn't matter what they want, because they get: probably a map they don't want, not enough rounds, and 30% of people quitting because *they* don't like the next map. Dogshit situation!

Warzone has died because of this. Warzone is my favourite mode. But Warzone without map selection is shit. 5v5 has also killed Warzone. Which is ridiculous! Gears is Warzone/Execution! What is Gears TDM trying to do? Compete with CoD? Good luck with that!

Just add the fucking option to host your own games! And let us swap fucking sides before the game starts. Let us start the game with bots, but only when the host says so, or, turn bots off. Why take choice away from the people who bought the fucking game...?

Note: I am not suggesting the game is hosted on the "host's" machine. Merely that the decision of what to play next is decided by a participant, as opposed to a machine.

Right now I would gladly take back phoning people to get their IP to connect to their game, (while their computer was using the landline via dialup), than this shit we live with now.

TRios Zen

Seriously, it was aesthetically pleasing with a good palette.

Now it looks plain and dull.

Weather effects though right? Isn't that what this map-pack is about? Maybe I'm on crack, but thought I heard that somewhere.

IN other news, I'll finally get my Mechanic Baird. YAY! 'course, so will everyone else. Boo!

Finally, we REALLY need another Gears Gaf tag for all the folks who are still playing. I'd create one, but moving houses soon and going to be off-line for a bit, so don't think I'm the best candidate to manage a tag.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I'm literally done with this game competitively. With spongy gnasher, ink cloud damage is shitty, and incendiary grenades hit box needs work. I could go on listing problems...

Edit- hell my k/d also took a shit in TDM from 2.2 now a 1.9.

Korosenai

Just played against 4 first prestige's, all level 80 and higher. They did nothing but use sos all game, so I did nothing but chainsaw and gnasher them. After we rape them and the game ends, they start bitching at me saying all I did was use the chainsaw lol.

SpacLock

I'm literally done with this game competitively. With spongy gnasher, ink cloud damage is shitty, and incendiary grenades hit box needs work. I could go on listing problems...

Edit- hell my k/d also took a shit in TDM from 2.2 now a 1.9.

Noob.

malfcn

Whoa. Messing around in KOTH on Hotel. You can spawn out of an elevator inside? I understand this is moldy. ;)

How is the multiplayer going these days? Has it died off pretty badly or is there still a decent chunk of people playing?

Still about the same number of people playing. The last DLC boosted the number of players big time, but I think it has settled down to regular numbers now.

Jacinto looks a bit whack, I guess, but I'm always up for a darker map. The lighting looks nice. Now we can have the aesthetic pleasure of Escalation without the horrible gameplay. Woo.

TRios Zen

Jacinto was my favorite Gears 2 map (honestly, maybe the only one I liked...) so I'm not ready to write it off yet. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Of the Fenix Rising Maps, I could do without Depths, and the re-spawning in Escalation is ass. I'm not sure HOW I feel about Academy...I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. The Slab and Anvil are decent maps though, with continued play, either of those might be remembered nostalgically one day.

Would argue that Checkout, Thrashball and Mercy are the best of the original maps.

Screw Blooddrive (should have stayed in Gears 2), Overpass (no one misses you my friend) and Bullet Marsh (better iteration than Gears 1, but still not great).

I am looking forward to Raven Down and Jacinto.

I like the number of maps that are coming out as I enjoy the variety. The ONLY bad thing about having so many maps is that some good maps get lost in the shuffle - I haven't seen clocktower in a month at least.

I guess my map-rant is over now.

TheChits

I wish they would bring back process and mausoleum. Hell, most of the gears 1 maps are still the best in the series in my opinion.

TRios Zen

I wish they would bring pack process and mausoleum. Hell, most of the gears 1 maps are still the best in the series in my opinion.

Dude, I remember the mad rush to the back stairs (by torque, not sniper) on mausoleum; 2 or 3 from each team rushing that little platform and then carnage ensued. Beautiful.

I'd agree that generally speaking Gears 1 maps were superior to 2, but I think there are some good Gears 3 maps. I'd guess something like Gears 1 = Gears 3 >> Gears 2.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I love all the Fenix rising maps. Academy is amazing. A real classic Gears set up with two power weapons at opposite ends of the map and frags in the middle. Anvil and Slab are both great, lots of spots where some sweet gnasher battles can happen. Escalation is a really unique map and worked very well in Gears 1. TDM rules make it is one of the worst Gears experiences possible. It should really be taken out of TDM rotation.

My favourite Gears 3 map is hands down Azura. It ranks up there as one of my favourite multiplayer maps, ever. Unlike River, which is piece of shit, Azura is big enough to handle two sniper rifles, a boomshot, and a Hammer. It's glorious.

Top 5:
- Azura
- Academy
- Mercy
- Drydock
- Checkout

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s) for week of February 27, 2012
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. FIFA 12
4. Battlefield 3
5. Halo: Reach
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
7: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. Gears of War 3
9. NBA 2K12
10. Grand Theft Auto IV
11. FIFA Street Demo
12. Mass Effect 3 Demo
13. Madden NFL 12
14. Forza Motorsport 4
15. NHL12
16. Saints Row: The Third
17. Halo 3
18. Mass Effect 2
19. SSX Demo
20. NBA 2K11

Lingitiz

Xbox 360 Top LIVE Titles (based on UU’s) for week of February 27, 2012
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. FIFA 12
4. Battlefield 3
5. Halo: Reach
6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
7: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
8. Gears of War 3
9. NBA 2K12
10. Grand Theft Auto IV
11. FIFA Street Demo
12. Mass Effect 3 Demo
13. Madden NFL 12
14. Forza Motorsport 4
15. NHL12
16. Saints Row: The Third
17. Halo 3
18. Mass Effect 2
19. SSX Demo
20. NBA 2K11

I don't think Gears has quite the accessibility to take a top 5 spot, you really need to learn the maps and spend alot of time in order to succeed. Hell, I even think Halo 4 is going to have quite a battle getting into the top 3. I don't think it will ever drop out of the top 20 though. Its definitely going to be interesting to watch in the coming months. The last time I can remember a non Cod title holding the 1 spot was in 2008 when Halo 3 got it a few times.

Top Bottom