• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Obscura

So is execution only first to 4? 'cause we used to play 19 rounds 2 mins on Gears 1, so you can see how that's too little for me. I'd like first to 11, or 7 at the very least. I saw first to 7 for gnasher 2v2, are there different round limit playlists for execution?

My only complaint is the lack of custom player matches. I loved max rounds execution. I don't have enough friends to run a private match nor do I imagine most people have seven other friends playing the game at once.

RE_Player

Takes the metacritic from 85-82, only negative review. A fuckin 2? Really? lol

Gotta disagree with Jeff for once.

A $40 remaster with new content (for consoles), a remastered campaign with remade assets and updated MP + DLC maps gets a 2/5?

Someone else should have reviewed it, especially when you say it's "half-baked". This is more well done than most. I'd love for him to review Dishonered: Definitive Edition now. THAT's a 2/5 effort.

w/e, not much you can do about it, damage is already done.
People caring that much about Metacritic scores is hilarious. I hope the joke just went over my head and you aren't serious.

A $40 remaster with new content (for consoles), a remastered campaign with remade assets and updated MP + DLC maps gets a 2/5?

Someone else should have reviewed it, especially when you say it's "half-baked". This is more well done than most. I'd love for him to review Dishonered: Definitive Edition now. THAT's a 2/5 effort.

Pretty much agree with you completely. Terrible review. He's not looking at the entire package and how impressive it is especially at $39.99. God of War 3, while reviewed by another, was given a 4/5. Maybe Jeff needs to take a step back and discuss scores with his coworkers first.

It makes sense. He isn't interested in the multiplayer which is usually the biggest draw for most people, and I can see how a nine year old games campaign(ai) doesn't hold up.

pizzacat

Banned
I mean it really means nothing in the end of the day. I still like gb, I still like Jeff and I still like gears

Jeff is still the man

Even tho he's suspect for still keeping up with wrestling

I see some points with the AI and a few encounters, but calling the updated visuals "half baked" is very questionable especially with the coalition saying every asset was remade. Sure it isn't the prettiest game out but compared to the alternative way of playing the game, it's damn good.

I agree with it actually. 30fps with framedrops, a lot of shimmering, some muddy textures in places. The AI is just awful and goes down in almost all encounters I've been in. Almost at act 3.

Edit: oh and as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the motion blur is way too heavy handed.

VinFTW

People caring that much about Metacritic scores is hilarious. I hope the joke just went over my head and you aren't serious.

Edited my post since you're so elitest you couldn't look past my comment on Metacritic and didn't read anything else.

Sorry us plebs want a company's first game to be successful in most/if not all areas.

The only people who should care about meta critic scores are probably most of the actual game developers who get bonuses a lot of the time that are dependent on the aggregate score, that's a terrible thing. :(

Played one mp match before work. That was a mistake lol. It feels so good and smooth. I can't wait to get off work!

I guess I can't blame host advantage on my bad play anymore.

VinFTW

The only people who should care about meta critic scores are probably most of the actual game developers who get bonuses a lot of the time that are dependent on the aggregate score, that's a terrible thing. :(
Also this.

People get bonuses based off Metacritic, so why wouldn't people care? People can discuss NPD but not Metacritic?

Pft.

RE_Player

Edited my post since you're so elitest you couldn't look past my comment on Metacritic and didn't read anything else.

Sorry us plebs want a company's first game to be successful in most/if not all areas.
I did read your post but decided to comment on the Metacrtic portion as that is what stood out for me. No need for name calling, I find it funny when anyone outside of being involved with a product cares about how it reviews.

VinFTW

I did read your post but decided to comment on the Metacrtic portion as that is what stood out for me. No need for name calling, I find it funny when anyone outside of being involved with a product cares about how it reviews.

What about the hundreds of people who invest in NPD threads on here? You find that funny too?

Sorry it's so "funny" to you. Put me on ignore, problem solved dawg.

Pretty much agree with you completely. Terrible review. He's not looking at the entire package and how impressive it is especially at $39.99. God of War 3, while reviewed by another, was given a 4/5. Maybe Jeff needs to take a step back and discuss scores with his coworkers first.

That's not how reviews work.

Gears 1 multiplayer is GOAT. Oh man this game is a blast. Waiting for the waves of complainers who can't handle it. The amount of rage I've heard through the mic already is hilarious

Mahnmut

What ? The campaign is only "around" 30fps with dips ? Come on...
The game deserved better due to its cutting edge tech back in the day. It seems like an half-assed port technicaly speaking to be honnest.

see5harp

2/5 for a rather solid port and visual upgrade while the master chief collection get's a 4/5 from them? lol

*edit* sorry that was user score, they never reviewed it in the end.

Even if they had reviewed MCC and given it a 4/5, the MCC was an incredible amount of content. Huge visual upgrades to both game and cinematics. Even with the issues, MCC is a standout among remakes and all remasters should be put up to that standard. Gears is definitely a worthy remake though. Huge amount of time between release, huge visual upgrades, and a cheaper than normal price point. If Jeff is the editor, it's his job to set the standards though and he should be communicating with the other writers to guide the voice of the site.

DJ_Lae

2/5 is a bit harsh - I'd probably give it a 3. I think the game holds up pretty well as far as the gameplay goes, although I'm with Jeff in that I have no interest in playing one second of the multiplayer unless I can get some friends together.

The campaign is a bit of a mess in terms of framerate and AI. The AI was dumb in the original, but it seems worse here for whatever reason.

Still, I'll probably play through the campaign a couple of times and ignoring the performance I think it looks pretty good.

It's a little jarring going from the campaign to the multiplayer with the framerate differences. Other than that, this is a damn solid remaster. Gotta disagree with the 2/5.

see5harp

So are people a little more chill on the social playlists or am I gonna get cursed out for being a bad player?

Respawn modes are probably where you want to go. Avoid execution if you just wanna have fun. If you want to get better and throw yourself in the deep end go ranked execution.

If there's ONE damn thing a remaster should do, it should be to make the damn game look good.

In Jeff's experience, it didn't do that. Framerate, the skybox issue, muddy-ness, and the AI/simplicity issues on top of that.

That man's inability to enjoy anything has really pull me out of GB. The beast-cast is the only gb related content I consume these days.

That's where I'm at at this point as well, being critical of things is fine but I definitely feel like sometimes he just doesn't like games in general. Beast-cast is still great though.

RE_Player

What about the hundreds of people who invest in NPD threads on here? You find that funny too?

Sorry it's so "funny" to you. Put me on ignore, problem solved dawg.
Your initial comment was as follows:

Your comparison to NPD threads is not valid in this case. Most people who engage in those threads aren't emotionally invested in how a title or console sells. It is just a good way to comment on current market trends for games and consoles with some humour injected here and there. Your comment came across as being personally baffled at how an individual could give this game "A fuckin 2? Really?" Yes that was Jeff's opinion after playing the game and shouldn't come to a shock to you seeing other people receive games differently. I am not in agreement with Jeff completely but I do see the valid points he raised in his text review. I saw your comment, thought it was funny and quoted it. I meant no personal offence. This will be my last time responding regarding this topic, I don't want to derail the thread further. Have a nice day.

VinFTW

If there's ONE damn thing a remaster should do, it should be to make the damn game look good.

In Jeff's experience, it didn't do that. Framerate, the skybox issue, muddy-ness, and the AI/simplicity issues on top of that.

I think it's incredibly childish and unprofessional to detract points from a review because you're getting spanked in MP.

see5harp

Jeff is allowed to dislike whatever he dislikes. The gears campaign IS pretty dated at this point. I'd consider any review of this game that doesn't HEAVILY involve the multiplayer to be an incomplete picture though. The MP (and online coop I suppose) was why the game was as successful as it was.

see5harp

In comparison to the original game? The original game is the benchmark not other games on the platform. Anyone who went back and played the original game in 720p a few weeks ago would be laughing at anyone complaining about the remaster at this point.

RE_Player

In comparison to the original game? The original game is the benchmark not other games on the platform. Anyone who went back and played the original game in 720p a few weeks ago would be laughing at anyone complaining about the remaster at this point.
I played the original a couple months ago, I'm not laughing at someone's valid criticisms.

His perspective is not "It doesn't look better", it's that "It looks better, but still not good enough."

Pez

Just read Giantbomb's review and it pretty much hits the nail on the head.

From my experience, it's the most unnecessary remake I've played. This game does not hold up well and they didn't bring it up to modern day standards. Animations are wonky and the SP framerate should be 60fps, not 30fps. It being 30fps just makes it feel like I'm replaying the 360 game, not that I'm experiencing the game in a new light. Like Jeff, I'm so familiar with the game, where emergence holes will pop up, scenario design, etc, that I'm just kind of snoozing through the game.

I'm a bit disappointed with it, but realize I was a bit dumb to pre-order this in the first place.

Oh well, at least I get the BC games and $15 back from MS.

see5harp

His perspective is not "It doesn't look better", it's that "It looks better, but still not good enough."

It should be 60 fps to match the multiplayer. It should be a lot of stuff, but we don't have review guidelines and we don't know the schedule, budget, or any details regarding the port job. Honestly, if people were more critical of games, in general, the industry would be better off. Jeff is an outlier though. Maybe if Giant Bomb judged games like this more often it wouldn't seem so crazy.

Etnos

Banned
That's where I'm at at this point as well, being critical of things is fine but I definitely feel like sometimes he just doesn't like games in general. Beast-cast is still great though.

I don't mind being critical, picky or harsh, as long as said criticism is insightful, interesting, ideologically challenging.. you name it, But as of late his attitude is more on the line "I guess I'm stuck talking about video games my whole adult life, poor me"

The fuck MS? I can't find the deluxe version anywhere and the pack for the stuff the $40 version doesn't have is $30 and it's missing shit....

Top Bottom