• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Not really. Almost all of the models and textures have been remade while only the sounds remain roughly the same. You can see for yourself here.

However the story, the levels, the characters are all the same. Better or newer textures doesn't mean it's a remake.

Either way I guess in the grand scheme of things its not really important.

What's important for me is how this is a very disappointing re-release for single player. This should have been 60fps alone.

see5harp

To be fair to Jeff, without the multiplayer components many of these shooters are rentals. Remember his The Order review? The damn tagline was something to the effect of "they have a word for these types of games: rental." As bad as a 2/5 may seem at least he didn't completely skewer Gears like that lol.

Aaron

Seems exceedingly harsh.
The campaign is still rough in this remake with graphics and AI issues, while the multiplayer is missing entire modes from later in the series. There's no reason to play this game when Gears 3 still exists, even if it's a little uglier, unless you are way, way into the core multiplayer. That's not a lot of value for $40.

Kezen

Banned
No. I just started act 3 and it is pretty bad with the rain effects.

I was watching SP footage on Youtube and wondered what was up, yeah parts seem to be running at sub30fps.
Considering the game is not graphical marvel it's very strange. I'm surprised the campaign does not run at 60fps by the way.

It should be 60 fps to match the multiplayer. It should be a lot of stuff, but we don't have review guidelines and we don't know the schedule, budget, or any details regarding the port job. Honestly, if people were more critical of games, in general, the industry would be better off. Jeff is an outlier though. Maybe if Giant Bomb judged games like this more often it wouldn't seem so crazy.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Jeff is an outlier within Giant Bomb or within the industry? are you actually trying to suggest that this is a well written and thoughtful critique? because it reeks of laziness and sweeping judgement made based on zero research or fact checking. I've read decent reviews by Jeff before, but this seems to be bottom rung for him. I'm not even talking about the score, just the content of the review itself. It feels like he was just too bored to actually put thought into it and do his job, so he half-assed his way through the game and wrote a vague summary about his impressions. Like, if you are too bored to do the work, perhaps pass the game along to co-worker who is willing to put in the effort?

The Flash

Banned
The campaign is still rough in this remake with graphics and AI issues, while the multiplayer is missing entire modes from later in the series. There's no reason to play this game when Gears 3 still exists, even if it's a little uglier, unless you are way, way into the core multiplayer. That's not a lot of value for $40.

Welp, that's enough of this thread. See you guys later.

Gears 1 multiplayer is GOAT. Oh man this game is a blast. Waiting for the waves of complainers who can't handle it. The amount of rage I've heard through the mic already is hilarious

Ive had rage but only cause i seem to be getting put against full parties or at least partial full parties while all my teamates suck lol. not fun getting shut out every game cause people dont know what they are doing :/

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Warzone will always be the best mode by a landslide and the Gears 1 maps are still the best by the same.

Mr.Fresh

Omg it's been downloading since 4 pm it is now 6 and it's only on 15 percent. This has to be the slowest download I've ever encountered. 😭 Why is it so hard to find anything on this OS?

see5harp

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Jeff is an outlier within Giant Bomb or within the industry? are you actually trying to suggest that this is a well written and thoughtful critique? because it reeks of laziness and sweeping judgement made based on zero research or fact checking. I've read decent reviews by Jeff before, but this seems to be bottom rung for him. I'm not even talking about the score, just the content of the review itself. It feels like he was just too bored to actually put thought into it and do his job, so he half-assed his way through the game and wrote a vague summary about his impressions. Like, if you are too bored to do the work, perhaps pass the game along to co-worker who is willing to put in the effort?

I mean he's an outlier among his peers for this specific game. I don't have anything wrong with him being hyper critical with the numbers as long as he backs it up.

I still can't understand the complaints about modes from later entries in the series being missing

This is Gears 1.

What's so difficult to understand.

Seriously.

And as for reviews, who gives a shit. It's just another opinion no more or less valuable than anyone's on here.

To me the game is 10/10. Some guy saying otherwise change nothing about how much I'm enjoying the game

Karak

I was watching SP footage on Youtube and wondered what was up, yeah parts seem to be running at sub30fps.
Considering the game is not graphical marvel it's very strange. I'm surprised the campaign does not run at 60fps by the way.

Ya I did some framecounting during my review. Its hit by FPS issues in odd times especially zooming in weapons so its pretty obvious quick level of detail changes is problematic and choking here and there. It dropped other times as well but actually not during very busy moments which makes me think its also related to loading.

Id have to agree on the terribly dumb A.I and frame rate issues. I've barely even gotten into the game, and it dips pretty bad especially when E holes spring up. MP has been great so far, just wish they went with the more updated version of hip/hard aim firing from gears 3. Either way, I finally get to play gears again on my X1. Can't wait to get the whole collection in November!

I've been switching back and forth between both Ultimate and the 360 version and Ultimate blows the original away. It looks so much better and plays so much smoother. They basically redid all of the cutscenes Halo 2 Anniversary style and it makes the campaign so much more cinematic. Getting into multiplayer games is so quick and smooth. Yea it plays exactly the same as it did nine years ago but the love that The Coalition put into this is beyond what I expected and now can't wait for Gears 4(Hated Judgement).

Anyone have a link for the weapon times and other misc. info? I need to freshen up on my competitive Gears; it's been too long.

Special C

I guess I can live without the active downs. many people didn't like it and guess I just have to get over being a purist. I didn't even use the longshot.

I'm excited to jump in and play Warzone. TDM just didn't hit the spot in beta. Game is balanced and designed around being round based with no spawns. Plays so much better.

NateDrake

I guess I can live without the active downs. many people didn't like it and guess I just have to get over being a purist. I didn't even use the longshot.

I'm excited to jump in and play Warzone. TDM just didn't hit the spot in beta. Game is balanced and designed around being round based with no spawns. Plays so much better.

TDM is kind of a mess. The spawns switching sides and whatnot throw-off the balance and you can't stay still to secure a spot during combat. The idea of being flanked at anytime doesn't work well with the Gears game mechanics.

Wow the remaster looks considerably better. I don't know how you could look at the two side by side and not think it's a big improvement.
I dunno, halo 2 anniversary looks and runs better than this game and it came packed in with 3 other games that received upgrades, too.

I bought this game mostly due to the gears 360 games being included. But I'm not kidding myself, it's just a hohum upgrade really.

Lima

TDM is kind of a mess. The spawns switching sides and whatnot throw-off the balance and you can't stay still to secure a spot during combat. The idea of being flanked at anytime doesn't work well with the Gears game mechanics.

Worked well in 3 but that is because TDM was the main mode and maps and game mechanics (weapon balancing etc.) were suited for it.

It feels slapped on for 1.

Pez

If your argument is true, I believe it's representative of how boring the SP is.

I dunno, halo 2 anniversary looks and runs better than this game and it came packed in with 3 other games that received upgrades, too.

I bought this game mostly due to the gears 360 games being included. But I'm not kidding myself, it's just a hohum upgrade really.

Umm... don't think Halo 2 anniversary looks better.....at all. GOW Ultimate almost looks like a current gen game.

NateDrake

Has anyone else experienced instances of the gun not firing? Tonight I've pulled the trigger and nothing happens. I have to pull it again for the gun to register. May be lag or I broke my controller trigger....

ViciousDS

Banned

So, is there no warzone then? If so....I might just want to wait.

ViciousDS

Banned
Warzone is a Social game mode.

Wow.....TDM in beta was easy to spawn trap with a full group. We had matches where the opposing team got maybe 5 kills the entire match due to it.....how asinine.
Warzone needs to be ranked

What's worse is that it alerts everyone when the spawns swap lol

NateDrake

Wow.....TDM in beta was easy to spawn trap with a full group. We had matches where the opposing team got maybe 5 kills the entire match due to it.....how asinine.
Warzone needs to be ranked

What's worse is that it alerts everyone when the spawns swap lol

Agreed. I've been playing Execution in Competitive (Ranked) since Warzone isn't offered. TDM in Competitive I'll only play when I have a group of friends willing to play. Can't depend on randoms to play well under such circumstances. Gridlock, Canals, and War Machine allow for such easy spawn trapping.

lol.

Gears 3 multiplayer is awful and MP is why people play Gears. The original Gears was and remains the standard-bearer for GoW MP and I'm happy as hell to have it back. Suggesting that's not enough value runs counter to the reason why people wanted the remake in the first place: to play those maps and others in HD/60.

Madness

I swear the worst part of this gen is forced physical installs...let me at least play the game running off my drive which should be possible and then let me install when I'm sleeping the first night or something.

leng jai

Was hyped for this before release but now I think I'll just wait for the PC version. No horde, same dumb AI and unstable 30fps isn't really enticing me.

Lima

I swear the worst part of this gen is forced physical installs...let me at least play the game running off my drive which should be possible and then let me install when I'm sleeping the first night or something.

You meant best part.

Next time just buy digital and you'll preload the title and have it ready to go at midnight launch day.

Was hyped for this before release but now I think I'll just wait for the PC version. No horde, same dumb AI and unstable 30fps isn't really enticing me.

Whilst I'm not trying to talk you out of waiting for the PC version, you will get the 360 games BC if you get it on Xbox One which has your Horde mode and you won't if you get the PC version. Not to mention the AI is going to be the same on both

Top Bottom