• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Game is crazy fun! And damn, they did put the effort in the visuals department! It looks amazing at times!!!

Multi is the good ol Gears, in a very good way!

No issues from my side, everything is perfect.

Proc

Made it to level 5 on multiplayer. Was sort of hard going from multiplayer to single player at 30fps. I'm enjoying what I play and will keep dumping time into multiplayer. The single player is a trip down nostalgia lane and that's all I really expected. I'm surprised how I didn't get the urge to throw the controller in multiplayer.

Got kind of tired of SP and jumped into MP

So far I enjoy how it all feels but wow everyone is a million times better than me. So far it's going 1 guy on both teams with 10+ kills, and everyone else has only 0 or 1 kill. I've done a good job of baiting people out with my lancer and then my team mates just ambush them with their shotguns.

I'm starting to think I might like the other Gears games more.

Also I was told the death screams would be Metal Gear Online-tier as in "hey everyone dies and screams so loud they give away positions" but there's been none of that. Guess that's only a thing in the later games?

splattered

Man I am a fan of gears MP and this is some enfuriratingily inconsistent laggy bullshit. I lose almost every shotgun battle to people both up close and that can seemingly one hit kill from across the map and shoot through edges of walls and shit this is driving me insane already.

Robot Pants

Got kind of tired of SP and jumped into MP

So far I enjoy how it all feels but wow everyone is a million times better than me. So far it's going 1 guy on both teams with 10+ kills, and everyone else has only 0 or 1 kill. I've done a good job of baiting people out with my lancer and then my team mates just ambush them with their shotguns.

I'm starting to think I might like the other Gears games more.
Host advantage back?

bumpkin

Finally cracked this puppy open and played some of the campaign. It's funny, but I had the same notion some others had where it all looked so familiar even though everything's got a shiny new coat of paint. It's really the cinematically that are like night and day compared to the original version. They're all fantastic!

It's a little disappointing that the frame rate still seems to hiccup when action gets hectic in close quarters. It could just be the cumulative effect of all sorts of bits and chunks flying making it seem like things stutter. Hard to say.

It's also a bummer that the mouth syncing is still awful outside of cut-scenes (like when they're talking between action segments).

I've played through all of Act 1 (through the berserker fight) and all in all, I'm pretty satisfied. I just wish I hadn't played through it so many times on the 360; nothing is a surprise. The story is burned into my brain. lol.

Finally cracked this puppy open and played some of the campaign. It's funny, but I had the same notion some others had where it all looked so familiar even though everything's got a shiny new coat of paint. It's really the cinematically that are like night and day compared to the original version. They're all fantastic!

It's a little disappointing that the frame rate still seems to hiccup when action gets hectic in close quarters. It could just be the cumulative effect of all sorts of bits and chunks flying making it seem like things stutter. Hard to say.

It's also a bummer that the mouth syncing is still awful outside of cut-scenes (like when they're talking between action segments).

I've played through all of Act 1 (through the berserker fight) and all in all, I'm pretty satisfied. I just wish I hadn't played through it so many times on the 360; nothing is a surprise. The story is burned into my brain. lol.
Well if you never played the PC version you might be in for a surprise.

Question about the gnasher. People have said that when firing from the hip, you don't actually aim at your target but the center of the screen? Can someone explain that? Is it the same as using iron sights too? It's been a long time since I have played.

the bullets come from the middle of the screen not the end of the barrel. this is why it's possible to "backpack" people who are behind you yet still on your screen. in Gears3 it came from the barrel so this is why some people might have problems right now.

someone doing it with the sniper. make sure you mute this too before watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7TYFsphXqk

lol, scratch all that. it looks like it's a hybrid system where it's center screen aiming when farther out and barrel aiming when in close to the enemy.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I'm 0-11 in mp. Every game is lopsided too. I wish it scrambled teams in social a la Rocket League. I'm not that terrible but they either have some dude who goes 14-0 or some shit or I have a bunch of people who run around doing seemingly nothing, or both.
LLShC.gif

I'm 0-11 in mp. Every game is lopsided too. I wish it scrambled teams in social a la Rocket League. I'm not that terrible but they either have some dude who goes 14-0 or some shit or I have a bunch of people who run around doing seemingly nothing, or both.
LLShC.gif

is there no matchmaking for this game?

Max_Po

Banned
I passed on the remake.

30 fps single player campaign and unfortunately no time to invest in multiplayer ....

Dam ....your priorities change as you grow older....

I wish I could go back 12 to 13 years... alnighters just to finish game and brag to buddies. ......

uberluigi

Banned
Damn the shotgun is full of shit, I'm unloading on some dudes and nothing but one shot from them and I'm dead :| what am I doing wrong gaf?

LUXURY

yeah, i've been playing for years and the shotgun is just a mystery to me. sometimes i can kill someone with one shot, others i am shooting RIGHT at them and nothing (and i mean i'm just pumping ammo out of it), then i get smashed with one bullet when they turn around. i just don't understand and i feel stupid. it's a shotgun. it shouldn't be this hard to use... what is the issue?

I wish the multiplayer was a little more fast paced, not in match, but I wish it got you into the next match quicker. It takes a long time between matches staring at menus.

the 30fps in single player looks super weird to switch to.

IDK what it is but it just seems weird to look at.

They did a pretty good job with this but I think it will be forgotten pretty quickly. I was going to skip it until they announced the 4 free games digitally. I think I would have been fine skipping it other than what a good deal that is.

I keep hearing the other team in game.
Both teams can hear one another in social, quite hilarious actually.
Damn the shotgun is full of shit, I'm unloading on some dudes and nothing but one shot from them and I'm dead :| what am I doing wrong gaf?
Are you loading it with buckshot or captain crunch?
but in all seriousness it's just this weird gnasher; random pellet patterns and janky hybrid hipfire shot placement do not mix (especially when gnashers can instant headshot when active from good few feet away)

uberluigi

Banned
Both teams can hear one another in social, quite hilarious actually.

Are you loading it with buckshot or captain crunch?
but in all seriousness it's just this weird gnasher; random pellet patterns and janky hybrid hipfire shot placement do not mix (especially when gnashers can instant headshot when active from good few feet away)

Whats the difference between buckshot and captain crunch lol? I'm not a gears pro but I know I was way better in Gears 2 and 3 never really played Gears 1 multiplayer only campaign.

Grisby

I missed you Gears ;;

The 'bro'ness, the 'destroyed beauty', the flanking and open battlefields.

Haven't played Gears 1 in ages and I forgot how awesome it is. Sure, it's a bit simpler now, but I still feel like it's a classic.

Shame about the framerate in some areas though.

dugdug

Banned
I wish the multiplayer was a little more fast paced, not in match, but I wish it got you into the next match quicker. It takes a long time between matches staring at menus.

the 30fps in single player looks super weird to switch to.

IDK what it is but it just seems weird to look at.

They did a pretty good job with this but I think it will be forgotten pretty quickly. I was going to skip it until they announced the 4 free games digitally. I think I would have been fine skipping it other than what a good deal that is.

Damn, I came in here to post this exact sentiment.

It's still fun, and, I'll probably hang onto it, but, I seriously hope they change the load times between matches. Shit takes way too long.

Also, have they mentioned exactly why they couldn't hit 60FPS for campaign? I played a few hours of it tonight, and, while the gameplay is still awesome, the visuals aren't really wow-ing me.

Madness

There are some shotgun issues. One match on Garden, I was last guy left and everyone could watch me. I pumped five shots at close range, enough for instakill and the guy wasn't going down or anything. And then he one shot kills me and my teammates were even like wtf. What could've been issue? I doubt it's lag? Other than some anecdotal hit registration issues has been working pretty great. I do hate how everytime my party leader backs out to go somewhere else, it asks if I want to join matchmaking etc.

Is Sam unlocked at level 5? My absolute favourite character from Gears 3.

Can't wait to play this game, should arrive in the post any day now!

Nick

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked a million times, but how do I go ahead and download the original games now that I've booted up Ultimate Edition?

Eos

Finally started campaign, it looks very nice. Only problem I have is that the character models look a bit to... cartoony.

Something's way off with the multiplayer for me and I can't tell what it is... I was doing much much better during the beta. I've been playing the Gears games since the beginning, but with this one it just seems I'm shooting lolipops at people while everyone else is Rocket Launcher Minigun Kim Jong Un on steroids....
I'm really hoping it isn't the case, but I'm getting this really weird Judgment multiplayer vibe.... The assault rifle not having stopping power at all just looks ridiculous, or I 'm too used to Gears 3.
Maps look really good though, but matchmaking is still shit like those 360 early days. Sitting in the menu like an idiot for minutes on end to join a competitive match...
Also, balancing the teams is virtually non-existant.
They found the perfect balance of weapons with Gears 3 where evryone was using different loadouts and using the assault rifle was a very viable option, but for now this is just a shotgun fuckfest. I really hope I'm wrong and it's my fault for doing this bad, but these are just early thoughts.

etta

my hard graphic balls
What ? The campaign is only "around" 30fps with dips ? Come on...
The game deserved better due to its cutting edge tech back in the day. It seems like an half-assed port technicaly speaking to be honnest.
The hell? *scratches head*

TURBO1112

Are certain maps locked in in certain gamemodes. Been playing Execution all day and havent seen a bunch of maps. I really hope certain maps are blocked out from different gamemodes.

Xemnas89

Got in some execution after playing the campaign for a bit. So strange to see gears 1 so smooth. Really enjoying it though and I'll really dive deep into it once I'm done with phantom pain.

Top Bottom