• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

I'm 0-11 in mp. Every game is lopsided too. I wish it scrambled teams in social a la Rocket League. I'm not that terrible but they either have some dude who goes 14-0 or some shit or I have a bunch of people who run around doing seemingly nothing, or both.
LLShC.gif

Sounds like every online FPS ever?

Random question but does multiplayer now have levels. And if so how high does it go? Not that it bothers me as OG Gears was the only MP game that I never cared about levels as I found it so addictive in itself.

Can't wait to dive back in and master the controls again. blind fire headshots here we gooooooooooooo

eastx

Random question but does multiplayer now have levels. And if so how high does it go? Not that it bothers me as OG Gears was the only MP game that I never cared about levels as I found it so addictive in itself.

Multiplayer has a leveling system that ranges from level 1-100, with an Achievement and the option to start over once you reach 100.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But still, it's not like the graphics are outstanding.
What is not outstanding about them?

I mean, we've seen better, but it's still a beautiful game. Really, the only thing holds it back are the animations (which are the original animations).

Everything else is on par with plenty of other modern games.

Fluze

Banned
It's still on UE3, the X1 could probably manage the same level visuals at 60fps if it was developed on UE4 instead.

I'm so excited for this to come out on Friday and have a 3-day weekend to play it. Anyone know if it has split screen co-op and online multiplayer?

Angel_DvA

It's too bad almost nothing have changed since the beta, the visual blood effect while hitting the target is still far from what they have shown in some videos, the gnasher while blindfiring is still off, the boomshot still garbage, the sensitivity is still to low even at 30 everywhere...

it's really disappointing.

Blood effect:

from their videos:

from the release game:

In gameplay:

Their videos :

https://youtu.be/rUCACACjYCQ?t=2m15s

Release game :

https://youtu.be/Vm6z4HITvqo?t=1m39s

God damn Microsoft Store. I won't get a follow up until Friday on my console. Fuck it, I'm canceling and buying the damn thing from Amazon since I know it will be here by Friday. Maybe everyone should treat their workers like Amazon since shit gets done there.

Zdrutz

Banned
Sorry if it was posted before but I can't see some of the skins I've unlocked in the beta. I have the Trash Ball Cole but I don't have those Grunt skins (think they were football themed too) available.

Anyone else experiencing this or knows what to do?

pizzacat

Banned
Sorry if it was posted before but I can't see some of the skins I've unlocked in the beta. I have the Trash Ball Cole but I don't have those Grunt skins (think they were football themed too) available.

Anyone else experiencing this or knows what to do?
it already unlocked for most people. Did you play last day of beta?

Sigmaah

This game is truly a dream come true for me. Sucks I gotta work doubles the next 2 days but Friday I'll finally get to play more.

My Xbox live friends from years ago all came back midnight release and are staying to play just for gears1. Felt like nothing changed. I'm happy as fuck. Can't wait to do clan matches again.

T.O.P

Banned
My Xbox live friends from years ago all came back midnight release and are staying to play just for gears1. Felt like nothing changed. I'm happy as fuck. Can't wait to do clan matches again.

Awwwww :)

All my GOW friends are assholes who don't play anymore :(

Well, my Xbox One buying saga is over. The MS Store canceled the hold on my account so I bought a 1TB MCC Amazon Entertainment bundle so it came with some gift cards and 3 months of Live. I got one-day delivery so I'll be playing with everyone tomorrow. Amazon can process my order and have it shipped to me before Microsoft even gives me a response.

3DShovel

I loved the time I spent with it last night. Had some good moments and some not-so-good, but the gameplay is just so satisfying and brings me back to a simpler time when I would play Gears with all my buddies until 4am.

Can't wait to get home and play!

Also, do we think that we'll be seeing a Gears 2 Ultimate next year or the year after? There's one that I'd love to see have dedicated servers. The multiplayer was severely held back by the terrible net code.

creatchee

The Gnasher hit box is straight up bizarre. I was testing it out on walls last night. At some point slightly beyond close range, blindfire pellets shift from somewhat straight out of the barrel to center of screen - like they shift horizontally in midflight then continue on forward. But even that doesn't seem to be constant. I think it might have something to do with whether you have recently fired the gun (or even zoom-aimed). I really have no idea, but that was what I gathered.

PrinceKee

I've literally been the only person in most games using the Lancer which I do pretty good with and managed to even get a couple chainsaw kills each match with. But, my God King of the Hill is a Gnasher fest. So I had to break it out and show that I know how to use it also. I will say it feels different and I don't know what it is. I've always been a Lancer player in every Gears, but something is off with the Lancer it...

EDIT: Didn't mean anything was off with the game. But, the Gnasher...

The Gnasher hit box is straight up bizarre. I was testing it out on walls last night. At some point slightly beyond close range, blindfire pellets shift from somewhat straight out of the barrel to center of screen - like they shift horizontally in midflight then continue on forward. But even that doesn't seem to be constant. I think it might have something to do with whether you have recently fired the gun (or even zoom-aimed). I really have no idea, but that was what I gathered.

I think blind fire is out of center screen while aimed is out of barrel, right? I much prefer barrel shooting since it actually makes sense but whatever.

creatchee

I think blind fire is out of center screen while aimed is out of barrel, right? I much prefer barrel shooting since it actually makes sense but whatever.

I honestly have no idea. It isn't consistent like the other games were. I still do alright, but I miss a lot of shots that my brain is convinced should be hits in a logical sense.

God damn Microsoft Store. I won't get a follow up until Friday on my console. Fuck it, I'm canceling and buying the damn thing from Amazon since I know it will be here by Friday. Maybe everyone should treat their workers like Amazon since shit gets done there.

On Xbox Live, change your region setting from whatever you have to UK - enjoy the game, thank me later - and this is for everyone who bought their copy from the US store, like me. I've been playing since yesterday with no problems.

I've literally been the only person in most games using the Lancer which I do pretty good with and managed to even get a couple chainsaw kills each match with. But, my God King of the Hill is a Gnasher fest. So I had to break it out and show that I know how to use it also. I will say it feels different and I don't know what it is. I've always been a Lancer player in every Gears, but something is off about it...

That's what I was saying a page back, like I have this really weird Judgment vibe from the few matches I've played. Hope to God I'm wrong, I hated the multiplayer in that game.

sorry for double post, I don't know what the heck I did...

DJ Gunner

It's too bad almost nothing have changed since the beta, the visual blood effect while hitting the target is still far from what they have shown in some videos, the gnasher while blindfiring is still off, the boomshot still garbage, the sensitivity is still to low even at 30 everywhere...

This is the only thing I've really noticed. I use the boom a lot and while most of the time it works as intended, there were at least three incidents last night over twelve games that I fired directly at the feet of a player- who was not or barely moving- and nothing happened at all, as in they didn't just live, they took no damage period. To my recollection, this was never the case in the original. Grenades seem hit or miss also. Is it just a wonk with explosives maybe?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game has been a frustrating experience because I was really good at this when it came out. Now, 10 years later and basically switching exclusively to M&kb for shooters, I am mad at myself for not being good anymore. I am 2bad brehs

gears 1 always had these kinds of issues, guess they didn't want to change it in this ultimate edition... which I think is a silly mistake.

Well aside from the lag and having the shot come out of your body rather than the gun I remember it being somewhat consistent, obviously you could see how well it really worked when you were host.

It seems like they went out of their way to make it even worse in this. I haven't played it yet, I'm just going off the impressions from the thread but that's really disappointing considering this was going to be one of my first purchases when I grabbed an XB1.

M52B28

Banned
This is the only thing I've really noticed. I use the boom a lot and while most of the time it works as intended, there were at least three incidents last night over twelve games that I fired directly at the feet of a player- who was not or barely moving- and nothing happened at all, as in they didn't just live, they took no damage period. To my recollection, this was never the case in the original. Grenades seem hit or miss also. Is it just a wonk with explosives maybe?
The explosives in Gears of War were broken. Grenades barely worked, and the Boom Shot would fail to even down some people.

EagleEyes

What is not outstanding about them?

I mean, we've seen better, but it's still a beautiful game. Really, the only thing holds it back are the animations (which are the original animations).

Everything else is on par with plenty of other modern games.
Agreed. I think it looks plenty nice for a current gen game. I do think the gameplay could have used a little boost though as Gears 3 had a much better flow to the gameplay than the original. They should have added some multipliers or whatever they were called to at least spice up the gameplay in the campaign a bit. Still a solid game though.

Loving it so far, but obviously I have a gears bias..Some things Im hoping they fix

-Boomshot needs to be more effective, I see some people not even rushing towards it because its splash and even head on damage is too inconsistent with kills.

-Grenades are also very inconsistent with damage. Ive dropped nades at peoples feet, and watch them survive the frag damage.

-Gnasher rounds should come from the actually barrel, not the center of your display. They finally got the issue fixed later on, and made more Gnasher battles a lot more consistent, but went back to square one. If theres one thing they could've stolen from gears 3 outside of enemy tags, and MP modes, its the perfect way Gears 3 did Gnasher aiming..

Do you guys see most Gears players adopting this for their Gears multiplayer fix or will most stick with Gears 3 when it's BC on XB1?

I really want to stick with this, because 60FPS gears is a beautiful thing. Ive adapted to how it worked back then, but I still think they should bring the Gnasher gunplay up to speed regardless If its mostly based on gears 1 MP. Its not like people are asking for stopping power, vault kicks, retro lancers, a lot us just want a more consistent Gnasher like the gears 3 one..Ill still be playing gears 3 most def, especially since DLC maps are BC too!

PrinceKee

Do you guys see most Gears players adopting this for their Gears multiplayer fix or will most stick with Gears 3 when it's BC on XB1?

I'm having fun with this. But, once Gears 3 is BC I will probably be playing that more. I still jump on from time to time on my 360 when my son isn't hogging the system...

On Xbox Live, change your region setting from whatever you have to UK - enjoy the game, thank me later - and this is for everyone who bought their copy from the US store, like me. I've been playing since yesterday with no problems.

Nah, this is for the actual Xbox One. I have the physical game in my hands because I ordered it from Amazon but I found a nice deal from the MS store for the box and ordered on last Sunday (as in 8/16 or 16/8) and they haven't even shipped it as of today so I canceled it, made sure the hold amount on my account was released, and put my order in with Amazon for a 1TB model which will be here tomorrow.

I'm having fun with this. But, once Gears 3 is BC I will probably be playing that more. I still jump on from time to time on my 360 when my son isn't hogging the system...

I see myself devoting a good chunk of time between this and gears 3 as I loved gears 3 MP.

Any word on when we get to download the trilogy? I'm thirsty.

meanspartan

Was gonna buy today, but Bombcast crew insisted it hasn't aged well...

Are they too down on it? (They sometimes are a bit too jaded and negative in their tastes IMO) Or has this game not aged well enough to be worth the replay? Just getting opinions from those of you who have it before deciding to buy.

How did they manage to fuck up the shotgun when it was perfect in Gears 3?

They didn't fuck it up, they just didn't change it. The devs have commented on what the actual goal of the remake is but I kind of see it as stripping off the rose-tinted glasses people have for it before Gears 4 comes out. Gears 3 was the pinnacle of the series honestly.

pizzacat

Banned
There's not a list of unlockable characters for MP, right?

I'd love to play as my Mechanic Baird from Gears 3.
I'll keep editing this list but
Unlockable (as of this moment)
Trashball Cole (beta unlock)
Thrashball Drone (beta unlock)
Sam
Dizzy
Prescott
Miner
Beast Rider
Kantus
Jace (just saw a level 25 with him)
Spotter
Commando Dom (guy was lvl 30)
Clayton Carmine
Barrick
Benjamin Carmine
Savage Grenadier

Preorder
Adam Fenix
Civvie anya
Aaron Griffin
Unarmoured Marcus
Savage drone
Savage grenadier elite
Savage kantus
Savage theron
Golden Hunter
Golden Miner

Speculation
Regular anya
Regular Hunter

Most updated list. Got trampled in the 2v2 gnasher mode by myself by two barricks, never imagined seeing barrick in 1

What a first night with the game. Feels like I havent missed a beat. This is the one game I come back to year after year and never get tired of it, but with such a long break I expected to have to get back in the swing of things. Instead i felt smooth with the sniper getting headshot after headshot.

I won 19 games and lost just one my first night and that was mainly because somebody fed the other team. Absolutely love Gears.

Edwardo

I really want to stick with this, because 60FPS gears is a beautiful thing. Ive adapted to how it worked back then, but I still think they should bring the Gnasher gunplay up to speed regardless If its mostly based on gears 1 MP. Its not like people are asking for stopping power, vault kicks, retro lancers, a lot us just want a more consistent Gnasher like the gears 3 one..Ill still be playing gears 3 most def, especially since DLC maps are BC too!

I love it. 60fps looks and feels so good while playing. Gears 3 was probably my favorite multiplayer, but I can't get over how much fun I'm having right now.

I actually caught myself trying to vault kick someone last night haha

Was gonna buy today, but Bombcast crew insisted it hasn't aged well...

Are they too down on it? (They sometimes are a bit too jaded and negative in their tastes IMO) Or has this game not aged well enough to be worth the replay? Just getting opinions from those of you who have it before deciding to buy.

That review was terrible. You can simply look at the other 39 reviews and see he is a lone duck in his thoughts.

The campaign itself is fine. Obviously it shows its age, afterall its a 2006 game. But is it bad? Absolutely not. Is it good? Absolutely with a real challenge if you play on insane.

And if you like multiplayer games, Gears of War still sits at the top of this respective category with skill based gameplay and team work.

Top Bottom