• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Another reason why this isn't a remake and its a remaster. They kept it faithful while sprucing up its looks.

Actually this is wrong. Gears UE has changed a lot, specially in the multiplayer. It actually feels like a mix of Gears 1 and Gears 3. But knowing gears fans, which have always been loud are divisive especially with the Gnasher(shotgun). In Gears1 as well as the beta the thing was ridiculously over-powered leaving it as a heavy rushdown game.

In Gears UE they balanced it out a little more making other weapons more viable like the lancer, while not having things like stopping power that was in Gears 3. As i said, its a mix between the two games and a good balance. However, some fans that did not want to see change and wanted the game to stay Gnasher heavy continue to be loud about it. its been this way for years and it will continue to be.

Actually this is wrong. Gears UE has changed a lot, specially in the multiplayer. It actually feels like a mix of Gears 1 and Gears 3. But knowing gears fans, which have always been loud are divisive especially with the Gnasher(shotgun). In Gears1 as well as the beta the thing was ridiculously over-powered leaving it as a heavy rushdown game.

In Gears UE they balanced it out a little more making other weapons more viable like the lancer, while not having things like stopping power that was in Gears 3. As i said, its a mix between the two games and a good balance.

Well I'm personally just talking single player here. I'm too awful at Gears multiplayer to try it for long periods.

Well I'm personally just talking single player here. I'm too awful at Gears multiplayer to try it for long periods.

Most people are bad at Gears multiplayer, no offense. It has a high learning curve, but once you get use to it, no game compares to it.

With that said if you are specifically wanting to play it for its singleplayer, its good and a great beginning for an overall good story as a trilogy, though obviously it does show its age with being a 9 year old game.

And for the reviewer, i find it insulting somebody would review a game primarily basing it only off of singleplayer saying its aged while ignoring the multiplayer fanbase. its pretty unprofessional really.

Nori Chan

From the GOW forum:

5 - Sam
7 - Kantus
10 - Prescott
12 - Miner
15 - Dizzy
17 - Beast Rider
20 - Clayton Carmine
23 - Spotter
25 - Jace
27 - Flame Grenadier
30 - Commando Dom
35 - Savage Grenadier

?? - Barrick
?? - Beast Rider
?? - B.Carmine

NO MYRRAH. BETTER NOT BE 100

Unit24

Is it just me, or are the animations in the new cutscenes a little over the top? Characters move a little too animatedly, and it looks almost cartoonish sometimes.

pizzacat

Banned
From the GOW forum:

5 - Sam
7 - Kantus
10 - Prescott
12 - Miner
15 - Dizzy
17 - Beast Rider
20 - Clayton Carmine
23 - Spotter
25 - Jace
27 - Flame Grenadier
30 - Commando Dom
35 - Savage Grenadier

?? - Barrick
?? - Beast Rider
?? - B.Carmine

NO MYRRAH. BETTER NOT BE 100
beast rider is 16 or 17 I think

I read it somewhere, is it true there is only one campaign save slot?

Would like to have a single player and a coop save.

Anyone confirm?

Jawmuncher

It kills me to know how shit the Chainsaw is now. Literally anything stuns you from use for a solid few seconds. I have been hit had someone run around and then kill me, all while my chainsaw was unable to be used because of the stun from the first graze. Such a shame that it's hardly even a viable tool now, unless maybe you run into a large group battle and hope for the best.

pizzacat

Banned
It kills me to know how shit the Chainsaw is now. Literally anything stuns you from use for a solid few seconds. I have been hit had someone run around and then kill me, all while my chainsaw was unable to be used because of the stun from the first graze. Such a shame that it's hardly even a viable tool now, unless maybe you run into a large group battle and hope for the best.
Except when you realize it's always been that way and the best way to use it are corners

The single player campaign aged way worse than I imagined, considering dropping to normal difficulty to blast it through, bullet sponges and turtling shootout isn't fun solo on hardcore and above.

Feels so good to be back even though im rusty as hell.
rejoice.png

and yeah lol im running through SP on Hardcore its definitely not as fun as before im so used to all the shit they added in Gears 2/3

im not looking forward to doing Co-op on insane.

So I've been downloading with single player priorty. I'm at 76%. When can I actually play the damn game? :/ been downloading for like 20 hours.

Its always been that way. Its not meant to charge straight in with, but rather a surprise attack from a corner or from behind. In fact I get a lot of chainsaw kills, at times 2 or 3 in a row. The stun is to remove unskilled users from running straight sponging bullets for a one hit kill.

It's so funny chaining chainsaw kills

It is xD Always gets me laughing when i do. Gears is a very personal game. Pretty much all kills are satisfying, and its one of the only games ive ever played where not only that satisfaction never goes away, but that there is those moments that your'e like "DId you see that!?" lol

There use to be a chainsaw glitch in Gears1 wher you could cancel your chainsaw so you could keep moving one you chainsaw somebody. Glad they removed glitches like that.

Grisby

Man, just got done with act 2 and you forget how much 'horror' they tried to inject into the game. Running around at night was pretty awesome to experience again.
Was gonna buy today, but Bombcast crew insisted it hasn't aged well...

Are they too down on it? (They sometimes are a bit too jaded and negative in their tastes IMO) Or has this game not aged well enough to be worth the replay? Just getting opinions from those of you who have it before deciding to buy.
It still holds up. The fact that the sp isn't 60fps sucks, but the classic encounters and atmosphere is all there. I haven't played the original in quite some time and I'm amazed at how Gears 1 still offers a better shooter experience then a lot of games do today.

I'm on act 3, and the only thing that doesn't hold up (and was never that good anyways) is the vehicle section. However, it's a lot shorter than what I remember it being.

OrangeOak

Is there any way to turn off auto clip recording? I really don't want to upload something on my poor connection while I am playing online game. How stupid it is.

Bracket

Looking for people to play with. I like to win as much as the next person, but I'd rather have fun first and foremost. So anyone who wants to relax, have fun, and chat, hit me up. Been playing Execution mostly, but I'm flexible as far as gametypes go. The game's as good as it was back then; I just don't have the same group of friends to play with nowadays.

ID: Sundull

Wow.....TDM in beta was easy to spawn trap with a full group. We had matches where the opposing team got maybe 5 kills the entire match due to it.....how asinine.
Warzone needs to be ranked

What's worse is that it alerts everyone when the spawns swap lol
There was audio cues in gears 3 when the spawns swapped too. Unfortunately people were too stupid to realise so they had to outright tell you now.

splattered

Anyone else preorder the physical copy from Amazon and not receive their code yet?

I just called Amazon customer service and the guy apologized and told me he was going to generate return labels for me to send back the games (x2) for new copies so I could get the codes.

WHAT.

I asked him if he plays videogames and he said "uhhh Fifa?" and I was like ok imagine it like this. You have the choice of preordering the latest Fifa from several different retailers. Each one is offering a different special jersey or football character that you can only unlock and use within the game if you buy it from their specific store instead of all the other retail chains... make sense?

No, he was clueless.

No help at all.

WTF.

How in the heck am I supposed to get my codes now? This is irritating.

Anyone else preorder the physical copy from Amazon and not receive their code yet?

I just called Amazon customer service and the guy apologized and told me he was going to generate return labels for me to send back the games (x2) for new copies so I could get the codes.

WHAT.

I asked him if he plays videogames and he said "uhhh Fifa?" and I was like ok imagine it like this. You have the choice of preordering the latest Fifa from several different retailers. Each one is offering a different special jersey or football character that you can only unlock and use within the game if you buy it from their specific store instead of all the other retail chains... make sense?

No, he was clueless.

No help at all.

WTF.

How in the heck am I supposed to get my codes now? This is irritating.

Apparently quite a few people aren't getting the Amazon skin by looking at the Q&A section of the product page. Have you checked the Gears forums to see if anyone else is having the issue. I pre-ordered from Amazon and if they were supposed to send a code, I haven't gotten one but I haven't looked in the box.

splattered

Apparently quite a few people aren't getting the Amazon skin by looking at the Q&A section of the product page. Have you checked the Gears forums to see if anyone else is having the issue. I pre-ordered from Amazon and if they were supposed to send a code, I haven't gotten one but I haven't looked in the box.

I've seen forum posts on the gears forums linked from Google... apparently some people have received the code and a bunch haven't.

If you do end up getting yours update on here so I can also look.

What actually makes me angry is that Amazon reps have zero clue on what we're taking about or how to fix it.

He told me none of his coworkers play videogames and there isn't a dedicated gaming dept to speak with.

If you look at the product page now too they have dropped mention of the preorder character now that the game has released so i'm not even sure if he believed me in the first place.

Ballistik

That weapon skin that changes colors distracts me all the time, even when it's on the floor I'll just stare at it haha

Fucking hell they didn't fix the weapon slide bug? Who thought that was a good idea?

Lots of people actually like it in the game.. It was used all the time in the original that I guess it just became part of the game. That's Gears community for you.

pizzacat

Banned
Fucking hell they didn't fix the weapon slide bug? Who thought that was a good idea?
Afaik there is no fixing it unless they did what they did in gears 3 (hold x for weapon)

It's one of the most useful tricks in gears 1, I see nothing wrong with it being here either

I've seen forum posts on the gears forums linked from Google... apparently some people have received the code and a bunch haven't.

If you do end up getting yours update on here so I can also look.

What actually makes me angry is that Amazon reps have zero clue on what we're taking about or how to fix it.

He told me none of his coworkers play videogames and there isn't a dedicated gaming dept to speak with.

If you look at the product page now too they have dropped mention of the preorder character now that the game has released so i'm not even sure if he believed me in the first place.

I'm at work right now but I'll check when I get home in about an hour and a half. I definitely haven't gotten a code emailed though.

I feel like different weapons get priorties, I could have sworn this boltok in mausoleum spawned even though I already got own
Don't think the boltok counts as a power weapon. Same as hammerburst. The just keep spawning. Different rules for these two.

Sniper, boom, nades, Torque and hammer follow the same rules I believe.

Top Bottom