• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Aye was it ever explained why Myrrah looks the way she does and why Adam was helping her?

Shit bugged me in gears 3 when Marcus did what he done did when she was talking.

Fluze

Banned
Aye was it ever explained why Myrrah looks the way she does and why Adam was helping her?

Shit bugged me in gears 3 when Marcus did what he done did when she was talking.

Adam was helping her because he wanted to rid The Locust of The Lambent invasion so the Locust wouldn't further invade the surface and cause another war. The Pendulum Wars had just ended six weeks prior to the Locust emergence. The people of Sera have never known true peace for a long time.

OrochiJR

My copy should arrive today. Will play the campaign a bit and try my luck in abstaining from dying as long as I can in MP.

I'm just a little bit sad that we won't see remasters of the other games. -_-

Pretty sure she is human.

Yeah that's why I'm like why are the Locust following her and how/why does she command them

Adam was helping her because he wanted to rid The Locust of The Lambent invasion so the Locust wouldn't further invade the surface and cause another war. The Pendulum Wars had just ended six weeks prior to the Locust emergence. The people of Sera have never known true peace for a long time.

And the other thing that threw me off was that level in gears 2 where all those weird hybrid Locust inside those tube things

NateDrake

Yeah that's why I'm like why are the Locust following her and how/why does she command them

And the other thing that threw me off was that level in gears 2 where all those weird hybrid Locust inside those tube things

There is a lot to the game's lore and background. The Locust, I believe, were miners that got exposed to imulsion poisoning. I guess they are mutant humans of sorts.

Fluze

Banned
There is a lot to the game's lore and background. The Locust, I believe, were miners that got exposed to imulsion poisoning. I guess they are mutant humans of sorts.

Yeah, Epic are great world builders but their storytelling is not as good. Hopefully TC give Gears the story it deserves in the fourth iteration.

My copy is now sent, hopefully it arrives tomorrow!

Go Sam!
gears3_samantha_byrne.png

abracadaver

I'm still not sure if I should get this

Is the multiplayer 4vs4 or 5vs5?

Have they fixed the characters talking less than they should be? In gears 3 they could not load all the character voices at the same time because there was not enough RAM left. It made the characters quieter than they should be and repeat sentences more often or say nothing at all. Is this fixed in the UE?

I have beaten Gears 1 back in the day on a PC. I have no intention on replaying it again but I bought the game anyway for a single reason: Gears 2, 3, 4 in BC mode. Never played Gears 2, 3, 4 but I always wanted to!

Thank you MS, this is how you do remasters/ bundles right!

And thanks for the 2-day XBLive code - it will be enough to "unlock" Gears 2, 3, 4 right?

nOoblet16

Myrrah loos the ways he does because she is human who sideded with the Locust.
She is a descendant of the scientists who were originally responsible for the accidental creation of Sires (while trying to cure rust lung), the progenitor of Locust.

Neil_J_UK

How are people finding this on Insane solo?

Did the first act last night and it's not been too rough so far, but I can imagine some of the bosses being a nightmare.

For people already playing. What's the server population like? You all getting into games ok?

Fuuuuuu I'm so hyped. Just need some mates to buy Xbones so we can go back to 2006 and play a shit loads of matches every night and shout abuse at random people online haha

Got up to RAAM on Insane (playing solo)… just can't get it done. Going with Torque Bow to scare kryll away and Longshot for damage but RAAM just isn't dying. No idea how I soloed RAAM the first time around.

Curse this ageing body of mine. 24-year-old me had no problems with RAAM before.

How are people finding this on Insane solo?

Did the first act last night and it's not been too rough so far, but I can imagine some of the bosses being a nightmare.

The only difficult bosses are the Brumak and obviously RAAM, but that's down to it being solo and Dom being useless.

As for the game itself, it's only really sections with explosive wretches that are tiresome. The rest of the game is fine.

Anyone have any tips for shotgun battles? I'm having lot of trouble maneuvering quickly like everyone else online.

Hipfire and use the centre of the screen as your reticle - if you've taken any damage, use the cog as your aiming reticle.

Soloing RAAM:

1) Use the very first piece of cover and stick there.

2) Throw all your frags and torque bow ammo at him while he approaches.

3) When he finally approaches you blind fire the shotgun from cover. Don't bother aiming at all, and utilize active reload for more damage.

4) Keep circling the same piece of cover so that you're on opposite sides, while blind firing. Watch out for the kryll though.

Yes this works on insane. And yes, it's as dumb as it sounds but it definitely works without too much trial and error. *

*Assuming the AI and health values remain untouched from the original. I don't have an XO, so I'm not playing this.

*Assuming the AI and health values remain untouched from the original.

I have a feeling the health has gone up? But hey, these are ooooold old memories I'm comparing it to. The wonky AI is definitely the same (RAAM still doesn't understand how to walk around cover too well).

I'll give your method a shot, thanks for the reply.

The most annoying thing about RAAM is the drones flying along the side of the battle shooting in at you, otherwise he is a pushover if you just keep safe.

bumpkin

Got to Act 3 last night (didn't play any of it, just arrived) and I saw the rain for myself... What gives, Coalition? The original game was pouring rain and it hit the players and made little splatters. I stood right in the part where it was coming down in buckets -- by the junker -- and nothing; just Marcus' armor being shiny (wet?). :(

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Had a good couple of games last night with my Gears 1 bud. First Fuel Depot we played we got rekt, I went like 3-6 (died every game ._.)... Then we played another one later and got redemption with a quick 4-0.

I think the Torque is a little OP. It seems like it might be easier to get shots? My bud was telling me I was just feeling it and it's pretty similar. I got like 9 kills on an execution match with it on Process. Although, the Torque is in a fantastic strategic position on Process.

Got some other excellent games where he and I were top of team and had some good wins. Went about 30-8 over the course of 4 games. Last one we played was on Raven down, and we won pretty handily. At the end, the guy on the opposite team sent me a message saying "Leave"...I laughed and returned the asshole favor by saying "Get good scrub"...Yup, this is Xbox Live. Gears truly brings out the asshole in us.

It's all coming back!

Do you guys prefer to hard-aim, pop shot or blindfire? and wallbouncing or strafing?
A mix of all of these...well, besides hard-aim. I hardly do that.

My xbox will be here today! The MS store gave me 50 bucks so now I will buy the chat adapter (so I can use another headset) and 3 more months of live. Not a bad deal now.

Day 2 Stats in Gears UE. Need to improve my K/D though, not happy where it at being lower than Gears3. One problem Im having is the footsteps of enemies cant be heard, something they'll definitely need to fix. But overall a good start

QFleR6C.jpg

IkyDS4M.jpg

Day 2 Stats in Gears UE. Need to improve my K/D though, not happy where it at being lower than Gears3. One problem Im having is the footsteps of enemies cant be heard, something they'll definitely need to fix. But overall a good start

QFleR6C.jpg

IkyDS4M.jpg

Nice stats! I haven't played Gears in a while so I'm going to take the UE as a chance to get rid of some of the bad habits I've learned over many years of playing. I'm going to try the tournament control scheme and then I have to get used to the center screen shots so my K/D will probably not be that great.

What does cog mean?
In Gears it's the government. Coalition of Ordered Governments. but in real life the cogs are the teeth that hook with other gears. A gear is the part around the skull in the Crimson Omen but sometimes cog and gear are used interchangeably,

I didn't really like Team Deathmatch in the later Gears, and I don't really like it here either. It's ok, but it seems counter-intuitive to how Gears plays. It seems more obvious on some of these maps. Getting spawn camped can be a problem on a few maps.

Glad that I can just play Warzone again though.

I didn't really like Team Deathmatch in the later Gears, and I don't really like it here either. It's ok, but it seems counter-intuitive to how Gears plays. It seems more obvious on some of these maps. Getting spawn camped can be a problem on a few maps.

Glad that I can just play Warzone again though.

I love that they add the Gears twists to the modes though. Judgment basically got rid of all the Gears-ness in the modes but TDM is so satisfying because you can get those sweet comebacks.

E92 M3

It's disappointing to not have rain in Bulletmarsh and Mansion...like no rain at all ! Even Gears 3's version of Bulletmarsh had rain.
I wonder if Subway is similarly affected.

It is disappointing that there is no rain on Mansion. It's by far my favorite map.

I love that they add the Gears twists to the modes though. Judgment basically got rid of all the Gears-ness in the modes but TDM is so satisfying because you can get those sweet comebacks.

It's fun, don't get me wrong. I just feel like the chaos is can be very unfitting on certain maps. Hunting the other squad was always what Gears was about to me, and you lose that in TDM.

Still fun though, just not my favorite.

Just queued this up last night. Couldn't refuse it any longer sitting on my dashboard begging me to buy it. Can't wait to get home and play the first gears again.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's fun, don't get me wrong. I just feel like the chaos is can be very unfitting on certain maps. Hunting the other squad was always what Gears was about to me, and you lose that in TDM.

Still fun though, just not my favorite.
Agreed. Gears and respawns don't mix well. In execution/Warzone, every life matters. This makes it so that people aren't just running around like idiots doing stupid shit cause they'll get a life. It also makes it so that those who stay alive longer aren't rewardedfor their strategy and play because other people are using up/taking up lives.

jacobeid

Banned
Keep trying to ask but haven't been able to get an answer to this yet.

Does the game include a code that you need to input into the store to gain access to Gears 1-Judgment through BC or is it similar to the ODST situation with Halo where the system will just be able to read that you played the game at a certain point and they'll unlock? If the latter is the case then I probably will just wait for the PC version and play a game or two online with my buddy's XB1 copy to unlock the BC games.

m23

Does the game include a code that you need to input into the store to gain access to Gears 1-Judgment through BC or is it similar to the ODST situation with Halo where the system will just be able to read that you played the game at a certain point and they'll unlock? If the latter is the case then I probably will just wait for the PC version and play a game or two online with my buddy's XB1 copy to unlock the BC games.

Game doesn't come with a code. I guess they'll just look at if you played it then send codes later on.

Quikies83

Probably because it has been answered 100 times and is in the OP.
You simply need to play the game before the end of the year.

Top Bottom