• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

kingwingin

I thought the shotgun was center screen aiming?

BTnnacu.jpg

Clearly its coming out of my barrel and ruining what was a perfect headshot

The Flash

Banned
I am really excited for Gears 4 after playing this. I hope they can deliver.

Me too. Been playing through the campaign on Insane and it's been a blast so far.

Hopefully Gears 3 BC goes live soon so I can play some Horde and multiplayer that I'm actually competent at.

Dazzyman

If anyone wants some coop I'm in UK but play weird hours just add Dazzyman.

I've finished 1 on36o 15 times mainly coop and the only negative I can give it on playing to act 4 is the quick deaths if played solo, luckily they sort this on 2 onwards but this game is meant to play coop anyway.

I'm not fussed about MP as I only play Horde.

So far I'm very impressed, it still is clunky compared to 2 and 3 but they have made running easier and I've had two clipping bugs that got me stuck in a wall and had to reload.

That's the negatives the rest wow its next gen looking and its GOW for me my favorite game series ever.
I loved the extra act on PC it was my favorite of the entire trilogy so looking forward to killing more mobs.

Don't hesitate, buy this a 10/10.

With this and MGS very good week for gaming.

splattered

FYI I finally got my preorder code from Amazon. For anyone else still waiting keep an eye on your inbox. Didn't go to my junk folder either.

When you go into cover the spawn point for bullets is much closer to the gun, some sandbag barriers have issues shooting over the top because of this and it's been an issue since 2006.

Gears 1 uses a ton of trickery for spawning bullets and they all have issues.

OrangeOak

I may be crazy but shotgun in campaign works so much different then this in multiplayer.
I almost always hit what I want to hit and I think spread is different too (more in line with Gears 1 spread)
I know that lag can be a factor but I don't think it's a reason for it in that case.

I think I figured out the whole shotgun debacle and your pic helps me make my point.

It's not that the shotgun is behaving differently at close range, like I've heard some people say. You're always aiming at the center of the screen, but the shot itself is fired from the barrel. So at close range there might be a wall in the way of your barrel, or your entire barrel might be clipping through your opponent if you get too close, causing you to shoot through him without damaging him. (you could, theoretically, gib his teammate behind him which would be boss as hell)

I'm sure this has been mentioned alot before, but hopefully, if I'm right, this will clear things up for some.

how the heck do i login for splitscreen local coop? i have both controllers synchd and i have a (1) account but when i choose split screen coop in gears of war UE it says 2 profiles must be signed in....

LUXURY

They need to give you the option to either join a lobby before the game has started or during. It's so fucking annoying to constantly load into games where I'm on the losing team by a huge margin.

Also, split up the fucking high ranks.

Granted it's been nearly a decade since I played through the campaign in Gears 1, but I've noticed more glitches in this edition than the original.

At least 1 in 5 battles have a chance where a Locust will spawn facing a corner and/or not do anything until I or my partner hits it.
Sometimes Locust will appear out of thin air.
In Act 5 (I forget which checkpoint) we'll get stuck radioing Anya while Locust swarm us. Marcus will just stand there with a finger in his ear(really miss the "SHUT UP" button from the sequels). This hasn't resulted in deaths, but it does cost us the opportunity to throw a frag grenade in their emergence hole or something.
Some checkpoints have screwed up, forcing a reload. Some others are just oddly delayed.

Multiplayer brings its own set of headaches. Played four matches (King of the Hill) earlier, only won one of them. I lost pretty much every shotgun battle heh. Eventually I got the bright idea to use the hammerburst (even won a couple close-range fights hip-firing the damn thing). Still absolutely dreadful though.

Heysoos

None of my Gears of Wars clips ever come up for anyone else and even on like websites like xboxdvr, they never pop up. If I try to save them through Upload Studio it just says can't be saved. :/

So I finally got a few hours of multiplayer in today, my thoughts...

I got Gears 1 for Christmas in 06 and played it exclusively for about a year until Halo 3 came out. I think I took a short break for Shadowrun and Crackdown and that was it. After playing Gears 1 again it's still as good as I remember. The shotgun feels better, sniping is better than that garbage sniping in Gears 3, and everything is simpler. There are less weapons, less secondary aspects to the multiplayer compared to the sequels it just feels way better. Bigger, better, and more badass as Cliffy B put it when talking about the sequels wasn't really totally, maybe bigger and more badass, but not better. I really wish they had kept the feel of Gears 1 in the sequels. Maybe Gears 4 will bring it back.

Anyway, I'm really glad they released this. It will keep me occupied for a while. I just hope my friends stuck with it or it may get frustrating playing with randoms. It just has a different feel from the sequels and it's just better. My only issues are some of the MP maps have lost some of the atmosphere the originals had, and the cutscenes seem kinda weird and exaggerated compared to the original edition.

Hopefully the Coalition can keep the momentum going with Gears 4 because they did a solid job with this remaster.

Jolkien

Just finished the whole campaign playing online co-op in one go with a friend of mine. We did it on Hardcore (second hardest difficulty) what a fun ride got a few difficulty bump but overall it was easily manageable.

Too bad they won't remaster Gears 2 and 3 but I'm glad we'll be able top play them eventually. Fun campaign that got me interested in knowing how the story continues in Gears 2 game play was really fun.

Honestly this is a different beast than Gears 3. Gears 1 has a huge learning curve that not a lot of players can handle, like yourself. I'm not being a dick but I've had a few friends who wouldn't play it because of the learning curve. Stick it out and you'll get much better. I did with gears 1 and then I was a beast in 2 and 3 because of it.

When Gears 1 clicks with you, it's one of the most satisfying games to play. Takes a long time to get there so you gotta have some determination in you
What exactly is the difficulty curve? Seems to me like learning to aim with the shotgun is half the battle, and the mobility options aren't that complex.

If anything the simplicity is a big turn-off for me, using the same weapon 90% of the time isn't very fun.

Draconian

I don't think the shotgun is that bad, but maybe it's because I'm used to the Gears 2 shotgun, which didn't work half the time. The stun on the grenades is awful though. Got taken down twice tonight because of it. The grenades are already strong enough, there's no need to have some stupid side effect with them. It's as dumb as when the smokes would knock you down in Gears 2.

Obviously that dude was having network issues in that gif.

I don't buy that the shotgun is inconsistent. It's hard to use and people just like to complain.

tuna_love

Banned
None of my Gears of Wars clips ever come up for anyone else and even on like websites like xboxdvr, they never pop up. If I try to save them through Upload Studio it just says can't be saved. :/
Happened to me as well. Mine just seemed to fix its self. Maybe a hard reset ot something. I lost a few clips and screenshots tho. If you were in any betas or anything you may have turned off some settings for nda or what ever as well.

kingwingin

Obviously that dude was having network issues in that gif.

I don't buy that the shotgun is inconsistent. It's hard to use and people just like to complain.
I don understand network issues but wouldn't everything go to shit? Everybody is moving around normal and he is being shot at but just can't shoot.

I sincerely doubt this game runs on dedicated servers. The lag is atrocious at times causing me to warp around the map. Feels like the same game from 2006

I don understand network issues but wouldn't everything go to shit? Everybody is moving around normal and he is being shot at but just can't shoot.

I sincerely doubt this game runs on dedicated servers. The lag is atrocious at times causing me to warp around the map. Feels like the same game from 2006

I think we mighta played different games in 06 then

I'm starting to get better with the shotgun. Well, aiming gets better. It is still inconsistent as hell and needs a fix, imo.

Things I've learned:

Teammates are enemies
They steal your kills
They run past a group of enemies that will kill you
They won't revive you
If they could kill you they'd do it

Don't try to shoot someone in the head (with Gnasher) when he is sitting behind sandbags or a small wall. The shoutgun is so bugged it won't work. He survived seven shots in the head and killed me in one.

Jawmuncher

At least I know it wasn't just me about that shotgun.

Anyway just beat the campaign on normal. Was surprised the challenge there. Since I was expecting it to be a tad easier. Not a bad thing though. Besides that I forgot just how frustrating Raam can be without a coop partner. AI was just running up and getting downed. Then I had to do the whole fight myself.

What exactly is the difficulty curve? Seems to me like learning to aim with the shotgun is half the battle, and the mobility options aren't that complex.

If anything the simplicity is a big turn-off for me, using the same weapon 90% of the time isn't very fun.

The mobility is huge and it's knowing what you can do and when, while in combat. It's definitely not simple and most people will suck at it for a long time. Getting the shotgun down is key, but so are all the other weapons, how you position yourself, etc.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So I finally got a few hours of multiplayer in today, my thoughts...

I got Gears 1 for Christmas in 06 and played it exclusively for about a year until Halo 3 came out. I think I took a short break for Shadowrun and Crackdown and that was it. After playing Gears 1 again it's still as good as I remember. The shotgun feels better, sniping is better than that garbage sniping in Gears 3, and everything is simpler. There are less weapons, less secondary aspects to the multiplayer compared to the sequels it just feels way better. Bigger, better, and more badass as Cliffy B put it when talking about the sequels wasn't really totally, maybe bigger and more badass, but not better. I really wish they had kept the feel of Gears 1 in the sequels. Maybe Gears 4 will bring it back.
I really agree with this. Less. Less less less. That's what Gears 1 has over its sequels (outside of the better gameplay stuff). Not 15 game modes. Not 25 different weapons and loadouts. You've got your shotgun and lancer. You've got some power weapons that can be used to control a map (or just style). And then you've got your skill.

Honestly this is a different beast than Gears 3. Gears 1 has a huge learning curve that not a lot of players can handle, like yourself. I'm not being a dick but I've had a few friends who wouldn't play it because of the learning curve. Stick it out and you'll get much better. I did with gears 1 and then I was a beast in 2 and 3 because of it.

When Gears 1 clicks with you, it's one of the most satisfying games to play. Takes a long time to get there so you gotta have some determination in you
And then this is what I think brings it all together.

I'm tired of hearing about people saying that this game sucks because they suck. We all sucked. Do you expect to be able to pick up the game and be good at it like people who have been playing for years? Just because it's a shooter doesn't make it so. There's an actual difficulty curve but it makes it so much more rewarding when you get around the curve.

The key is to have fun regardless. I have fun getting rekt (last night was pretty harsh for my bud and I, there was the clocktower game that we just got destroyed on) just like I do when I'm working another team and going 12-1.

Loving this shit overall.

Hahahaha. Not being a dick at all, I'm glad that you're jumping into Gears 1 with us with the UE. But this sentence right here is the difference between those that know Gears 1 intimately and those that don't.

Like I've said before, movement is everything in Gears. Gears 1 isn't about shooting. It's about movement. I can guarantee you that someone who knows how to move can kill someone who doesn't know how to with a pistol (+ a melee or two), even if the person who doesn't know movement has a shotgun, 8/10 times. The shotgun is way more potent so you hardly ever see that, but it's pretty much been tested and proven. Aiming with the shotgun can be important, but not nearly as often.

The mobility options themselves are not complex. It's how you use the few mobility options that matter. Mix-Ups and inclusion of walls, cover, and environment all make for movement being everything. If you stick with it, I do really think you'll come to a similar opinion.

Top Bottom