• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

People complaining about levels? Yo, don't let levels deceive you people.

Levels weren't in Gears 1. You're attaching too much importance to a goddamn number. What happens when someone has just played shittons but their KDR is .5? They've stuck around on good teams all night long and get the win and consecutive match bonuses all day? I've seen level 3's that are good. And level 25's that are terrible. I'm a level 13 myself and my buddy is a 14. We know that any game we go in we can be competitive. My cousin just got the game and we'll be all teaming up, and he'll be at 0, or 1, or whatever it is, but I know he's good.

Since levels don't unlock any inherent advantage in the game like weapons or loadout or speed or some shit, I just toss them. As such, matchmaking is really luck of the draw, there isn't matchmaking in Gears because levels aren't indicative of skill.

Your best chance at matchmaking is this: Leave after each match if you don't like the team parity.

Your best chance of getting a good team is this: Have some people to party up with if your styles mesh in the game.

Toss the levels.

Well said.

But seriously guys - please add me, I have cookies and milk....unlimited supply.

I'm a very sad person

pizzacat

Banned
well that sucks because i dont want to play against some duder who has a decade of gears gameplay under his belt. I want to play with bad to okay players so i dont get wrecked every match
This is a remake of the game that made those decade duders crazy myself included.

Expect people to be good. Don't be afraid to lose, also never trust teammates

Grisby

About to finish up, I'm on the extra chapter now that wasn't in the 360 one. Pretty crazy to be essentially playing a 'new' level.

I really want a Gears 2 remaster now, as I haven;t played that game in a long while either. Stopped playing the MP too a few weeks after launch since the lag was so bad. Be fun to tinker around with it.

This is a remake of the game that made those decade duders crazy myself included.

i just want to be matched with people around my own skill level. Given that this package exists not only to get old gears players onto the XB1 but also to introduce new folks to the series, the least they couldve done is a decent job matchmaking folks with people of comparable skills, no? Unless pro gears players love playing against chumps all the time, which i imagine gets old after a while.

This is huge. If you aren't on mic with them, never expect to get revived or even have them shoot at someone you are to help. The help you would get from an enemy, that's what you should expect.

pizzacat

Banned
About to finish up, I'm on the extra chapter now that wasn't in the 360 one. Pretty crazy to be essentially playing a 'new' level.

I really want a Gears 2 remaster now, as I haven;t played that game in a long while either. Stopped playing the MP too a few weeks after launch since the lag was so bad. Be fun to tinker around with it.
I didn't

I suffered until the gears 3 beta like 3 years later

I still don't understand why ;-;

pizzacat

Banned
i just want to be matched with people around my own skill level. Given that this package exists not only to get old gears players onto the XB1 but also to introduce new folks to the series, the least they couldve done is a decent job matchmaking folks with people of comparable skills, no? Unless pro gears players love playing against chumps all the time, which i imagine gets old after a while.
Well in my case I've only been playing ranked

I don't mean to say new players aren't allowed but expect to see little. I've seen teammates act very new to the game so they are out there.

Understandable. However the game is only new, it's gonna take a little while for the backend rankings to be accurately assigned. The best of the best will rise to the top eventually.

All that said, good teamwork can more than make up for lack of skills in this game. Seriously.

Gears 2 MP was decent after 5 or 6 patches. Not a lot of people stuck around till then but when it was good, it really was good

For new players, or people who have only played Gears casually you might as well learn now that Gears is a game with a high learning curve. Nobody picked up Gears of War on day one and was amazing. This isn't Call of Duty where you can sit in a corner and rack up kills or use perks and killstreaks to obliterate your opponents. Its about being smarter than your opponents, team work, and overall skill. This is why it has been praised over the years. Its not only rewarding, but its addicting in the sense youre always trying to improve.

You're going to suck at first. We all went through it. Youre going to die, die, and die some more. And then once you've got the hang of the movement that the more experienced players has youre still going to die some more. Its not an easy game and its not meant to be. Thats one of the reason Gears Judgement is hated on. They tried to make it more casual and the Gears fans base hated it.

From my experience people in multiplayer games like to blame everything else but themselves. its the games fault, your team mates fault, etc When most of the time its not. Yes, there is going to be times you get bullshitted, i wont lie to you, but for the most part you can learn why youre losing or why you just died. So dont be discouraged by getting killed or losing. Those things help you get better. Stick with it and youll understand the praise for these games.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
For new players, or people who have only played Gears casually you might as well learn now that Gears is a game with a high learning curve. Nobody picked up Gears of War on day one and was amazing. This isn't Call of Duty where you can sit in a corner and rack up kills or use perks and killstreaks to obliterate your opponents. Its about being smarter than your opponents, team work, and overall skill. This is why it has been praised over the years. Its not only rewarding, but its addicting in the sense youre always trying to improve.

You're going to suck at first. We all went through it. Youre going to die, die, and die some more. And then once you've got the hang of the movement that the more experienced players has youre still going to die some more. Its not an easy game and its not meant to be. Thats one of the reason Gears Judgement is hated on. They tried to make it more casual and the Gears fans base hated it.

From my experience people in multiplayer games like to blame everything else but themselves. its the games fault, your team mates fault, etc When most of the time its not. Yes, there is going to be times you get bullshitted, i wont lie to you, but for the most part you can learn why youre losing or why you just died. So dont be discouraged by getting killed or losing. Those things help you get better. Stick with it and youll understand the praise for these games.

Exactly this and I think it you come out of this the other end you'll see why people love Gears. It's a team game. A real team game.

I see in Jeff's review on GB he says

It's fun when played with some like-minded and like-skilled individuals, but after all this time the only people who are likely to stick with it are insanely good at it. So unless you're one of those people, expect to have people rolling up behind you and shotgunning you to death over and over again.

I don't think this is always true. yes, some people are insanely good with the shotgun and it made Gears what it was but a good team can stop that.

you don't need to master the shotgun to have fun and survive, just think about what you're doing and forget what other games have taught you.

So had a 2 hour session with Gears Single player really enjoying it.

I'll probably play some more tomorrow and maybe online but Dishonored is coming tomorrow so it depends.

see5harp

All I can say is that if you just wanna win and win and never be in danger of losing a single match play with Bloodbathnbeyond or EC Ballistik or any other of the old school GAF gears dudes. I remember playing matches of Gears 3 where I may not even see a damn enemy before BBB killed them all. Not sure if you're ever going to get better playing with those guys though.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
What were the developers thinking? When cancelling a search, they throw you out to the main menu. And you can't go to the bottom of the menu by pushing up when you're at the top. Tiny details that's really bothering me!

Can't really remember if the last one was the case for Gears 3 as well, but annoying nonetheless.

Bastos

I'm new to Gears of War MP, but I'm pretty sure that the Gnasher isn't working 100%

There are some point blank shots that my target bleed but they don't even gib. Makes me sad :c

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I'm new to Gears of War MP, but I'm pretty sure that the Gnasher isn't working 100%

There are some point blank shots that my target bleed but they don't even gib. Makes me sad :c

The Gnasher is inconsistent, that's just how it is!

Really? But sometimes the shot comes from the middle of the screen and some of the shots don't. And it seems that the closer I am to my victim the less damage he takes, specially if I'm touching them.

Feels weird.
From a distance the shots come from center screen whereas right up close they come from the barrel of the gun. It's a weird hybrid system that wasn't in Gears 1 or the beta

Center screen was always much much better

Dave_6

I got utterly destroyed in the beta; never played much of the original MP. I pretty much lost every one on one shotgun battle to the point it just pissed me the hell off lol. Haven't played it yet in the retail version as I'm almost scared too :p

I played the hell out of 3 and got pretty good but I get my ass handed to me so hard in this that it's not even fun. Looks like I might blow through campaign and sell it before MGSV comes out.

It does look pretty great, though jumping back and forth between campaign and multiplayer really highlights the framerate discrepancy.

Is the Lancer just completely useless in multiplayer? I've gotten the drop on people several times and they're able to turn, roll towards me and kill me in a single shotgun shot while I empty half a clip into them. I notice a lot of people using the pistol from midrange, I guess that's better?

Bastos

From a distance the shots come from center screen whereas right up close they come from the barrel of the gun. It's a weird hybrid system that wasn't in Gears 1 or the beta

Center screen was always much much better
Aaaaaah! So that's why I destroyed everyone in beta and now I'm getting my ass handed to me. Hope they patch that, inconsistencies aren't good when you are a competitive player :p

It's hard do know when the "aim-type" changes.

Barakov

Is the Lancer just completely useless in multiplayer? I've gotten the drop on people several times and they're able to turn, roll towards me and kill me in a single shotgun shot while I empty half a clip into them. I notice a lot of people using the pistol from midrange, I guess that's better?

The lancer seems pretty good for chip damage. In my experience it's best used in tandem with a other player using the gnasher. The pistols seem best for midrange.

I played the hell out of 3 and got pretty good but I get my ass handed to me so hard in this that it's not even fun. Looks like I might blow through campaign and sell it before MGSV comes out.

It does look pretty great, though jumping back and forth between campaign and multiplayer really highlights the framerate discrepancy.

Honestly this is a different beast than Gears 3. Gears 1 has a huge learning curve that not a lot of players can handle, like yourself. I'm not being a dick but I've had a few friends who wouldn't play it because of the learning curve. Stick it out and you'll get much better. I did with gears 1 and then I was a beast in 2 and 3 because of it.

When Gears 1 clicks with you, it's one of the most satisfying games to play. Takes a long time to get there so you gotta have some determination in you

The Goat

That's happening because your barrel is clipping through your victim. Reposting this video, http://www.twitch.tv/crream/v/12457914

They can fix this with bullet magnetism just like in Gears of War 3.

Ok, glad to see this out there. Hopefully the more people complain about it, the faster they'll fix it.

This is really my only complaint with the game at all. So happy to have a proper Gears back, but currently, this is marring my enjoyment.

OrangeOak

I'm amazed at how good this looks. Gears 4 will be a looker for sure.

I really like it too. A lot of nice details and nice new assets. I love that they kept Gears 1 art and amazing architecture. I love walking through levels and watch all that buildings. Especially now with improved backgrounds.
Biggest cons are alpha effects and armor materials. Doesn't look like metal.

Top Bottom