• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

I'm going to ask again, has anyone did anything to the controller settings?

If I don't touch the sticks for about 1/2 seconds the camera just moves up the way really quickly, its really really annoying.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this :)

Lima

I'm going to ask again, has anyone did anything to the controller settings?

If I don't touch the sticks for about 1/2 seconds the camera just moves up the way really quickly, its really really annoying.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this :)

Yes buy a new controller. Your right stick is drifting.

Played for like 4 hours yesterday and all my instincts came back. You stick to cover a lot morei n Gears 1 than 2 or 3, everything seems a little heavy and less "flowy" but it's still sooo good. It's just made me appreciate Gears 3 a lot more though. I think Gears 3 is pretty much the perfect base to tweak when making Gears 4. Dial back the retro if they are keeping it around, add some Judgment weapons if you want, dial back the lancer active, and get rid of stopping power and I think we got the perfect Gears MP.

I'm used to how effective the lancer was in Gears 3. It's pretty much just a suppressing fire tool in Gears 1, all but useless in regards to stopping an enemy from rushing at you from midrange.

Wish it packed a bit more punch.

Special C

People complain about the Lancer but it's a great support weapon. Firing into a shotgun battle your teammate is in can make a huge difference. Also you can down someone pretty quickly with 2 people focus firing on an enemy.

see5harp

I don't know if it's just me but I swear it's hard to tell who is who on some of the darker maps. A lot of the time a dude will be standing right next to me and I think he's a teammate. I don't know if it's was Gears 2 that introduced the blue and red lights on the character models but I wouldn't hate if they added that to this an update. Maybe I'll get used to it.

I really can't get over how much I love this game. I was struggling really bad at first, but now I'm actually getting my groove back.

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/game... Xx&scid=8e4a0100-1d0e-4885-b99e-7f3f57f36f95

Same - first few days I was playing like shit, but me and my boys are getting back into the grove of things and starting to do well now.

Though, still getting those "wtf, how did he/she did not die" after pumping up close Shotgun shells behind someone to only have them turn around and blow me away.

Picked this up last night and the multiplayer is incredibly fun. I always thought gears 3 was my favorite but this feels much more tightly designed with everyone getting the same starting weapons. Also no host advantage means I have a fighting chance in shotgun battles this time around and I'm fairing quite well. I Came in first on my third match. I do wish the lancer packed a bit more punch though but the game is a serious strategy game of cat and mouse and I love it. Its equal parts rewarding and frustrating. Was the Lancer not a bit more powerful in the beta?

The maps in this game are still some of the best in the series.

I've found the Lancer to be quite strong. You're not going to punish anyone for being briefly out of cover, but you really can put them down if they are charging at you minus cover

I'm used to how effective the lancer was in Gears 3. It's pretty much just a suppressing fire tool in Gears 1, all but useless in regards to stopping an enemy from rushing at you from midrange.

Wish it packed a bit more punch.

yeah, the lancer sucks. I remember it being better but I guess I'm thinking of 2 and 3.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
yeah, the lancer sucks. I remember it being better but I guess I'm thinking of 2 and 3.
The lancer used to be worst because of the lack of dedicated servers. It was virtually useless for everyone but a host.

Now, it's probably what they originally intended to be. A solid support weapon. In the sequels, it was almost as powerful as the Gnasher in terms of kill potential. Man, that was lame.

The lancer used to be worst because of the lack of dedicated servers. It was virtually useless for everyone but a host.

Now, it's probably what they originally intended to be. A solid support weapon. In the sequels, it was almost as powerful as the Gnasher in terms of kill potential. Man, that was lame.

It does feel a bit more useful then it was in OG Gears but still way less useful then in 3.

I can't decide whether I like it or dislike it. On one had its decent for support and enemy suppression but in the other hand if you can't get the hang of the shotgun your screwed.

see5harp

It's way more useful in this game as a mid long range weapon than in the first and second game because of no host advantage. If a dude is right next to and rolling to get closer, pull out your shotty don't sit there with the left trigger held down hard aiming. I swear people bitch and when I go back and watch their dumb asses, they are always doing some dumb ass shit.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
On one had its decent for support and enemy suppression but in the other hand if you can't get the hang of the shotgun your screwed.
And that's the name of the game. And why Gears 1 was a beautiful mistake with its own following.

Gears 1... all about the shotgun. It's why there's a new mode catered specifically for the gnasher and close quarters. The Coalition knew what Gears 1 fans were all about.

k1t4j

Finally got my copy and man it feels good.

Epic score, love the combat just feels so good and tight the rush of trying to flank enemies, hit those active reloads and on Hardcore they are super aggressive and hard to take down.

I am going to enjoy it on SP first then I'll be looking here on trying to finish it on Insane co-op if someone is up for it

going by your achievements(all 4 of them) you barely even touched gears 1.

Surprise! I've had more than one gamer card in the last almost 10 years. Nice try buttercup, but I've likely played more gears 1 than u. But I get it, someone calls u out for saying something as absurd as 'it pretty much plays the same online as it did in '06', which is the stupidest tripe I've read in awhile, and u need to save face by calling me a liar.

Navy Bean

I really struggled in my first few online games... Then I said, screw it, time to chain saw some fools...still so good and effective. I really need to practice with the shotty though.

jem0208

I don understand network issues but wouldn't everything go to shit? Everybody is moving around normal and he is being shot at but just can't shoot.

I sincerely doubt this game runs on dedicated servers. The lag is atrocious at times causing me to warp around the map. Feels like the same game from 2006
That's definitely on your end.

The game's been pretty much perfect for me, barring the fact that I suck. I'll probably stick to Halo multiplayer.

Surprise! I've had more than one gamer card in the last almost 10 years. Nice try buttercup, but I've likely played more gears 1 than u. But I get it, someone calls u out for saying something as absurd as 'it pretty much plays the same online as it did in '06', which is the stupidest tripe I've read in awhile, and u need to save face by calling me a liar.
You showed him

doicare

GEARS OF LAG ULTIMATE RANDOM SHOTGUN EDITION

The game is a lagging joke, nearly every single time there is at least one person on the other team who is a bullet sponge who can take multiple shots to the face without dying then turns round and one shots you. The shotgun is also incredibly inconstant. And before anybody cries i need to 'get good' here's my stats from Gears 3 and Judgement:
DM6rno.png

LMBcxK.png

And from Gears Ultimate:
BOgrEk.png

One of these things is not like the other, one of these is not quite the same......

kingwingin

what was your old gamertag?

see5harp

I only played 10 games last night but did not experience once instance of weird lag or anything like that. It plays much better than it did in 2006. If you are shooting someone more than 4 times without a down, chances are that you are just sucking.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
GEARS OF LAG ULTIMATE RANDOM SHOTGUN EDITION

The game is a lagging joke, nearly every single time there is at least one person on the other team who is a bullet sponge who can take multiple shots to the face without dying then turns round and one shots you. The shotgun is also incredibly inconstant. And before anybody cries i need to 'get good' here's my stats from Gears 3 and Judgement:
http://i.cubeupload.com/DM6rno.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.cubeupload.com/LMBcxK.png[IMG]

And from Gears Ultimate:
[IMG]http://i.cubeupload.com/BOgrEk.png[IMG]

One of these things is not like the other, one of these is not quite the same......[/QUOTE]
Sorry to break it to you, but being good at Gears 3 and Judgment does not indicate skill level with Gears 1. Same series, fundamentally different MP.

doicare

Yea, your skills.

Yeah, but this ain`t Gears 3 or J. ;-)

Sorry to break it to you, but being good at Gears 3 and Judgment does not indicate skill level with Gears 1. Same series, fundamentally different MP.

Is this the bit where some delusional Gears fans try to tell me Gears 1 is the only game of skill and every other Gears game is for scrubs and requires no skill.... *rollseyes*

They're the same basic game.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Is this the bit where some delusional Gears fans try to tell me Gears 1 is the only game of skill and every other Gears game is for scrubs and requires no skill.... *rollseyes*

I didn't say that Gears 1 is the only one that requires skill. I was alluding to the fact that it takes a different skillset. Your Gears 3 and J numbers are impressive IMO. But this is a different game and that's a fact.

And no, they're not the same basic game. Especially not in terms of how they play.

That's not delusional, that's just the way it is. As evidenced by your pictures.

see5harp

Not saying that at all. If you're good at Gears you are probably good at most of them in some ways. I haven't experienced any sort of lag though, certainly nothing in comparison to the original Gears or Gears 2. It feels about the same, if not better, in all ways to what I remember of Gears 3 on dedis. You're probably just missing shots. Your K:D will go up as you play more, not down.

M52B28

Banned
No, no they aren't. They are completely different games in many different terms.

If you were good at Gears of War, you're going to be good at the next ones. People who are good at the original are basically super soldiers in a field of grunts when compared with Gears of War 2 & 3.

creatchee

So I was playing a couple nights ago and got three headshot kills in a row with the Gnasher. However, they didn't feel right because when I pulled the trigger, I was not aiming perfectly at the heads. Luckily, game dvr auto recorded and I rewatched.

http://xboxclips.com/Creatchee/d45a9206-4578-4c6e-8464-62175db9e42c/embed

Looks like perfect headshots. Which makes me think that TV lag is the cause for my aiming inconsistencies (even when they benefit me in-game).

bumpkin

Damn, the Beserker section is just as stressful as I remembered.

I'm loving this game.
I know, right? I jumped a few times when I didn't realize how close she was before she started charging and then suddenly had to react or get smushed
I got smushed

jmdajr

Wow what a shitty review from Giantbomb.

I can't imagine this will deter me if this game is for the fans. Love the series.

And here come the shotgun whiners. It was inevitable. People really cannot handle being bad at a game in this and age can they?

Get over yourselves and get better. Gears isn't like modern shooters where you can jump in and get a nice kill streak consistently and be top of the scoreboard easily. Some players have been playing this game for neatly 10 years and perfectly understand all the nuances to the shotgun and movement.

Nothing like Gears of War 1 to make people rage and blame everything else but themselves

As for the topic of lag, I havent had a single laggy match yet in 60-70 matches so far. This is purely my experience so far however. And this game performs leaps and bounds better online than peer to peer like the original game.

doicare

I didn't say that Gears 1 is the only one that requires skill. I was alluding to the fact that it takes a different skillset. Your Gears 3 and J numbers are impressive IMO. But this is a different game and that's a fact.

And no, they're not the same basic game. Especially not in terms of how they play.

That's not delusional, that's just the way it is. As evidenced by your pictures.

Not saying that at all. If you're good at Gears you are probably good at most of them in some ways. I haven't experienced any sort of lag though, certainly nothing in comparison to the original Gears or Gears 2. It feels about the same, if not better, in all ways to what I remember of Gears 3 on dedis. You're probably just missing shots. Your K:D will go up as you play more, not down.

No, no they aren't. They are completely different games in many different terms.

Okay i want to make this clear, no i am not missing shots i see the shots hit their target and blood splatters come off the enemy with each hit. But when they should die they don't. I've seen countless situations where it's 3 vs 1 or 2 vs 1 and they guy who's lagging takes 4,5,6 hits and still doesn't die. I've been killed by guys who aren't even facing the right way and i've emptied 3/4 of a lancer clip into somebody charging me and they didn't die either.

Sometimes it's even gone the other way where i've been surrounded by 2-3 guys, they're firing right at me but some how i don't die. And further more very rarely do i play a game and i end up with an even kill to death score, it's either i dominate and i'm MOTM/top 3 or i get destroyed with significantly more deaths.

The fundamentals of Gears are the same in all versions, there is no massive difference between them. You go for power weapons and map control, lancer for range and Gnasher is king up close. Favour the right hand side because all Gears characters are right handed, work together as a team and take advantage of active reloads.

If Gears 1 is so different from Gear 3 then i'm sure people here can list these 'significant' differences.

doicare

And here come the whiners. It was inevitable. People really cannot handle being bad a game in this and age can they?

Get over yourselves and get better.

I havent had a single laggy match yet in 60-70 matches so far.

Nothing like Gears of War 1 to make people rage and blame everything else but themselves
Thanks for your opinion, just because you haven't had lag doesn't mean other people haven't.

Top Bottom