• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

I have beaten Gears 1 back in the day on a PC. I have no intention on replaying it again but I bought the game anyway for a single reason: Gears 2, 3, 4 in BC mode. Never played Gears 2, 3, 4 but I always wanted to!

Thank you MS, this is how you do remasters/ bundles right!

And thanks for the 2-day XBLive code - it will be enough to "unlock" Gears 2, 3, 4 right?

The bc games aren't out until November

It's fun, don't get me wrong. I just feel like the chaos is can be very unfitting on certain maps. Hunting the other squad was always what Gears was about to me, and you lose that in TDM.

Still fun though, just not my favorite.

I have no problem with TDM. It easily replaced Warzone for me. As much as I loved Warzone its hard to go back to it. TDM has some spawning issues at times, but for the most part its about being aware and calling out enemy locations as well as Spawn Swaps so everybody on the team knows. Gears is a very team oriented game, so if you cant act like a team, and more so focus on youself only then youre going to have issues.

I dont find it chaotic at all though, Just as strategic as any other game mode with map control. It can be annoying when you have a team mate feeding the other team though, but that isnt an issue with the game mode, but the player.

jacobeid

Banned
Game doesn't come with a code. I guess they'll just look at if you played it then send codes later on.

Thank you! I'm going to return my unopened XB1 copy to Best Buy and just wait for the PC version then.

edit: not even worth it. My ignore list is growing faster than Kamiya's block list on twitter recently.

Day 2 Stats in Gears UE. Need to improve my K/D though, not happy where it at being lower than Gears3. One problem Im having is the footsteps of enemies cant be heard, something they'll definitely need to fix. But overall a good start

QFleR6C.jpg

IkyDS4M.jpg

pffft, I wish my K/D looked like that!

Back in original gears I was beast of a player, now I am just okay :-(...still having a lot of fun tho and getting better with each play session!

The shotgun is a broken piece of crap, really.
Match 1 15:12
Match 2 1:9

Against the same people.

I didn't change anything. It's luck. What a joke.

Its certainly not luck. I do find that to be an excuse for not playing well. With that said, there can be some bullet sponging at times, but majority of the time no.

pffft, I wish my K/D looked like that!

Back in original gears I was beast of a player, now I am just okay :-(...still having a lot of fun tho and getting better with each play session!

lol In Gears3 i had a 2.5 in TDM so I feel like I've digressed a bit. So hoping to get it above 2.5 personally. That and my friend has a 3.98 currently, so me being the competitive person I am cant let him outplay me by that much, even if he is on the same team xD

The matchmaking is the worst I've ever seen in my life. Level 0 players against Level 40 every damn time.
Multiplayer is a mess, imo.
I think I'm already done with it. I'm going to complete the SP and sell this game asap.

Lima

How do they not shuffle teams? You can't tell me that everyone is coming in with a party of 4 and if they indeed do then at least make it visible that they are a pre-formed party. This is like basic UI stuff for any MP title these days but seems like Devs still have to learn this. Look at how Titanfall launched.

lol In Gears3 i had a 2.5 in TDM so I feel like I've digressed a bit. So hoping to get it above 2.5 personally. That and my friend has a 3.98 currently, so me being the competitive person I am cant let him outplay me by that much, even if he is on the same team xD

Can I play with you guys? - I can be a great distraction at most ^_^!

That is a serious request - I am not all that bad of a player.

*awaits for him to say no*

I wish the ranking system was an actual ranking system where you lose points for losing.

Sorta makes the levels pointless because a level 40 could be just as skilled as a level 10

DannyButtermen

Neo Member
How I have missed this game... Got my whole old school crew playing now! It is incredible how this game is bringing us all back together! Definitely the best TPS out there by a mile.

The matchmaking is the worst I've ever seen in my life. Level 0 players against Level 40 every damn time.
Multiplayer is a mess, imo.
I think I'm already done with it. I'm going to complete the SP and sell this game asap.

Most I've seen someone 3-5 levels higher, but I have seen few instances of this.

Fucking matchmaking is so broken... Every game my team is all under lvl 5 and the offensive is all 20.

That's all just progression.

Matches where I played against people who were quite a bit higher than me tells me that much, cause my team still won and I was able to hold my ground.

Having a higher level doesn't mean you are more skilled of a player, means that...potentially you play the game A LOT.

Isocr4cy

Level doesn't mean anything though. It's just progression. Not that matchmaking isn't broken.

I get that but it still represents the time put into the game, which does reflect in some skill. Last night I was having a blast but every game this morning has been so one-sided I'm already burned out from playing.

pizzacat

Banned
Yeah that's why I'm like why are the Locust following her and how/why does she command them

And the other thing that threw me off was that level in gears 2 where all those weird hybrid Locust inside those tube things
They wanted to go places with that chapter but it was retconned literally in the same game

Also level means nothing guys, saw a level 40 something, he still got destroyed in boxes

So, since tonight is the first I'll be able to play, is the shotgun actually broken or is it just people who aren't used to the gears shotgun. Because it's weird and has always been weird.

pizzacat

Banned
So, since tonight is the first I'll be able to play, is the shotgun actually broken or is it just people who aren't used to the gears shotgun. Because it's weird and has always been weird.
It's inconsistent, I mean if it was broken would the baddies be complaining about it?

I get that but it still represents the time put into the game, which does reflect in some skill. Last night I was having a blast but every game this morning has been so one-sided I'm already burned out from playing.

Yeah, this.
The gnasher problems are so obvious. You can see Level 40 players going from 15:1 to 3:10 stats. And you'll often see level 0 players with a k/d of 2,0.

All during 2-3 matches. It's so dumb and frustrating.

edit: And this game is full of spawn killers. Yep, the 5-seconds-protection doesn't help.

I can almost hear the sound of nostalgia and rose-tinted glasses being stripped away. The devs knew that to dispel the idea that Gears 1 was the best all they had to do was let people play Gears 1.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Inconsistent Gnasher deluxe, but that's kinda the trademark of Gears.

Not sure this will keep me from Gears 3 though. I miss the speed!

Besaide

So far I've only been playing competitive king of the hill but every game it's been domination by your team or the opposing. No close games that make it thrilling.

First Gears game I've played but I'm already tired the shotgun dueling. More of a lancer guy but it's not really cutting it out. Still have the campaign to play and looking forward to playing the rest of the series when backwards compatibility hits.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
People complaining about levels? Yo, don't let levels deceive you people.

Levels weren't in Gears 1. You're attaching too much importance to a goddamn number. What happens when someone has just played shittons but their KDR is .5? They've stuck around on good teams all night long and get the win and consecutive match bonuses all day? I've seen level 3's that are good. And level 25's that are terrible. I'm a level 13 myself and my buddy is a 14. We know that any game we go in we can be competitive. My cousin just got the game and we'll be all teaming up, and he'll be at 0, or 1, or whatever it is, but I know he's good.

Since levels don't unlock any inherent advantage in the game like weapons or loadout or speed or some shit, I just toss them. As such, matchmaking is really luck of the draw, there isn't matchmaking in Gears because levels aren't indicative of skill.

Your best chance at matchmaking is this: Leave after each match if you don't like the team parity.

Your best chance of getting a good team is this: Have some people to party up with if your styles mesh in the game.

Toss the levels.

People complaining about levels? Yo, don't let levels deceive you people.

Levels weren't in Gears 1. You're attaching too much importance to a goddamn number. What happens when someone has just played shittons but their KDR is .5? They've stuck around on good teams all night long and get the win and consecutive match bonuses all day? I've seen level 3's that are good. And level 25's that are terrible. I'm a level 13 myself and my buddy is a 14. We know that any game we go in we can be competitive. My cousin just got the game and we'll be all teaming up, and he'll be at 0, or 1, or whatever it is, but I know he's good.

Since levels don't unlock any inherent advantage in the game like weapons or loadout or speed or some shit, I just toss them. As such, matchmaking is really luck of the draw, there isn't matchmaking in Gears because levels aren't indicative of skill.

Your best chance at matchmaking is this: Leave after each match if you don't like the team parity.

Your best chance of getting a good team is this: Have some people to party up with if your styles mesh in the game.

Toss the levels.

Yeah this game plays completely differently than most shooters. If you have teammates that are stupid or too aggressive/unaggressive then you lose. Gears never was easy to be good at. Map control is also huge with power weapons changing the game many times.

Top Bottom