• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Okay i want to make this clear, no i am not missing shots i see the shots hit their target and blood splatters come off the enemy with each hit. But when they should die they don't. I've seen countless situations where it's 3 vs 1 or 2 vs 1 and they guy who's lagging takes 4,5,6 hits and still doesn't die. I've been killed by guys who aren't even facing the right way and i've emptied 3/4 of a lancer clip into somebody charging me and they didn't die either.

Sometimes it's even gone the other way where i've been surrounded by 2-3 guys, they're firing right at me but some how i don't die. And further more very rarely do i play a game and i end up with an even kill to death score, it's either i dominate and i'm MOTM/top 3 or i get destroyed with significantly more deaths.

The fundamentals of Gears are the same in all versions, there is no massive difference between them. You go for power weapons and map control, lancer for range and Gnasher is king up close. Favour the right hand side because all Gears characters are right handed, work together as a team and take advantage of active reloads.

If Gears 1 is so different from Gear 3 then i'm sure people here can list these 'significant' differences.

Record instances of this stuff and post the videos here. It would be a good way to document your issues and for the developers to maybe see if there is a problem. It's pretty easy to grab examples with the record feature on XB1.

doicare

I didn't imply that at all. I'm pointing out that just because some people are having lag doesn't mean everyone is.

Perhaps your connection is the issue?
I'm not really sure how else i'm supposed to take:

"And here come the whiners. It was inevitable. People really cannot handle being bad a game in this and age can they?

Get over yourselves and get better."

I'm not saying everybody is experiencing lag but i'm not the only person who has experienced it either. I've had plenty of conversation with people online about how laggy and random it can be. I've have no problem with lag in any other game i have played in recent years. The reason why i bring up lag as an issue is because of the 200+ games i played last gen, hands down without question Gears 1 and Gears 2 were the two most laggiest games i have ever played in my entire life. They were so bad to the point it wasn't worth playing them. After Gears 3 and Judgement i thought we were past this.

M52B28

Banned
Okay i want to make this clear, no i am not missing shots i see the shots hit their target and blood splatters come off the enemy with each hit. But when they should die they don't. I've seen countless situations where it's 3 vs 1 or 2 vs 1 and they guy who's lagging takes 4,5,6 hits and still doesn't die. I've been killed by guys who aren't even facing the right way and i've emptied 3/4 of a lancer clip into somebody charging me and they didn't die either.

Sometimes it's even gone the other way where i've been surrounded by 2-3 guys, they're firing right at me but some how i don't die. And further more very rarely do i play a game and i end up with an even kill to death score, it's either i dominate and i'm MOTM/top 3 or i get destroyed with significantly more deaths.

The fundamentals of Gears are the same in all versions, there is no massive difference between them. You go for power weapons and map control, lancer for range and Gnasher is king up close. Favour the right hand side because all Gears characters are right handed, work together as a team and take advantage of active reloads.

If Gears 1 is so different from Gear 3 then i'm sure people here can list these 'significant' differences.

Just because you see blood coming from them doesn't mean that they're just going to fall to pieces. Don't forget that the shotgun has a random spread. Some rounds will go a direction, and some will go another. If you're up close and in an enemies face and you're standing the slightest way off, you won't get that body shot, which in hand, will leave them in pieces. To get those body shots, you have to be lined up perfectly with their body. ALL of the spread has to hit the body, not 1/4, 2/4 or 3/4. If the person has taken enough damage, you'd be more likely end them with one extra shot.

Understand that the Lancer isn't something that is completely viable to get kills in Gears of War. It is used for ranged suppression, and if you're close up and someone is pushing you with a shotgun, they can pop up, hit you in the torso or legs, and you'll be downed. The only time a Lancer is useful in close range is if the enemy is completely oblivious of you or if they're at an angle where cover isn't the best. You can kill people with the Lancer, but only at the right time. If someone is rushing you and all you have is the Lancer out, it's basically a Gnasher fight.

Sure, the fundamentals are the same. (Cover to cover shotgun for close range, blah, blah.) The way the game plays is completely different. I'm sure many of us could bring up a list of stuff that is different.

"And here come the whiners. It was inevitable. People really cannot handle being bad a game in this and age can they?

I'm not saying everybody is experiencing lag but i'm not the only person who has experienced it either. I've had plenty of conversation with people online about how laggy and random it can be. I've have no problem with lag in any other game i have played in recent years. The reason why i bring up lag as an issue is because of the 200+ games i played last gen, hands down without question Gears 1 and Gears 2 were the two most laggiest games i have ever played in my entire life. They were so bad to the point it wasn't worth playing them. After Gears 3 and Judgement i thought we were past this.

I'm sure it isn't as bad as the original Gears of War.

kingwingin

this is my issue 100% and it definitely not from a lack of skill.

It feels like host advantage all over again where I shoot and a half second later I get ripped to shreds because technically they shot first. Sometimes I get shot before they even run around the corner, even when I have the advantage of seeing around the corner.

I've never had such fluctuating skill in a game before and if I was consistently bad I would believe I suck but that's not the case

That wasn't directed at you whatsoever. I was talking about the people complaining about the shotgun inconsistencies.

I merely mentioned my network experience to show that some people have been having pretty positive results playing online.

The beginning of that post really had nothing to do with the lag discussion.

I was talking pure skills

I worded my post poorly, apologies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Polarizing opinions and discussions, with the Gnasher and lag at the center of it all!

This is how we know the remaster was successful. This is like GoW1! Bask in it, boys.

M52B28

Banned

It feels like host advantage all over again where I shoot and a half second later I get ripped to shreds because technically they shot first. Sometimes I get shot before they even run around the corner, even when I have the advantage of seeing around the corner.

I've never had such fluctuating skill in a game before and if I was consistently bad I would believe I suck but that's not the case

They fixed this in Gears of War 3 by making it so people can kill each other at the same time.

It's a fairly stupid solution to a simple problem.

Polarizing opinions and discussions, with the Gnasher and lag at the center of it all!

This is how we know the remaster was successful. This is like GoW1! Bask in it, boys.

Yup, that's what I'm like.

doicare

Just because you see blood coming from them doesn't mean that they're just going to fall to pieces. Don't forget that the shotgun has a random spread. Some rounds will go a direction, and some will go another. If you're up close and in an enemies face and you're standing the slightest way off, you won't get that body shot, which in hand, will leave them in pieces. To get those body shots, you have to be lined up perfectly with their body. ALL of the spread has to hit the body, not 1/4, 2/4 or 3/4. If the person has taken enough damage, you'd be more likely end them with one extra shot.
Yes i know about the spreads, there's been a spread pattern in all the games. I'm not talking about one hit that 'may have missed', i'm talking about shooting my opponent 3-4 times with all hits aimed at their body and blood splatters coming off of him with each hit and they still don't die.

Understand that the Lancer isn't something that is completely viable to get kills in Gears of War. It is used for ranged suppression, and if you're close up and someone is pushing you with a shotgun, they can pop up, hit you in the torso or legs, and you'll be downed. The only time a Lancer is useful in close range is if the enemy is completely oblivious of you or if they're at an angle where cover isn't the best. You can kill people with the Lancer, but only at the right time. If someone is rushing you and all you have is the Lancer out, it's basically a Gnasher fight.
I don't use the lancer up close up, i'm not sure where you got that from. I gave an example of a guy being so far away that even an aimed shotgun shot would only do a few % of damaged, so i switched to the lancer emptied 3/4 of the clip into him and he still didn't die.

Sure, the fundamentals are the same. (Cover to cover shotgun for close range, blah, blah.) The way the game plays is completely different. I'm sure many of us could bring up a list of stuff that is different.
Well you keep saying the game plays completely differently but you're yet to give examples.

I'm sure it isn't as bad as the original Gears of War.
Sure it's not as bad as Gears 1 or 2 but by any decent mp lag standard it's bad for me.

pizzacat

Banned
I'm used to how effective the lancer was in Gears 3. It's pretty much just a suppressing fire tool in Gears 1, all but useless in regards to stopping an enemy from rushing at you from midrange.

Wish it packed a bit more punch.
Even if it had more dmg it would still be useless.

It needs gears 3s stopping power

Gears is a tough game to master. It might look simple and straightforward but there is nuance to the chaos of shotgun battles.

People need to understand that there are players who have been here for nearly 10 years honing these skills. It didn't happen overnight. Takes a lot of practice to get good at this game.

For those complaining about this game today, it's a good thing some of you werent around for the real dark days of gears.

Like when Gears 1 launched and there was no limit to how many times you could be downed. Resulting in downing the last player over and over and over again cheesing points.

Or when Gears 2 launched and blindfiring the shotgun caused the bullets to fire straight down beside your feet.

Or gears 2s smoke grenades knocking you to ground stunning you. Okay it's dumb but you can deal right? Not if you were on a stairs or any uneven surface. Youd lay there waiting for someone on the other team to wander past you and blast you with the shotgun and put you out of your misery.

Gears UE is the game we needed in 06. Devoid of ridiculous host advantage and awful networking. And that's not even mentioning the glitches in MP like the chainsaw glitch or crab walking.

bumpkin

Gears is a tough game to master. It might look simple and straightforward but there is nuance to the chaos of shotgun battles.
I haven't touched the MP features yet and didn't indulge much in the competitive MP modes in 1, 2, 3 or Judgment on the 360, but I'll tell you my problem with the "chaos of shotgun battles". It shouldn't be a viable long range weapon yet it is. I've emptied clips into rushing shotgunners and gone down before they did. There's something fucked up about that. So I can totally understand others' frustration because I feel it too.

Horde was my jam. When I died in that, I didn't feel like I was being screwed.

M52B28

Banned
Well you keep saying the game plays completely differently but you're yet to give examples.

To be quite honest, I really don't feel like digging through my brain, the internet, and the game to get some examples.

Even if it had more dmg it would still be useless.

It needs gears 3s stopping power
Please, for the love of God, don't give the developers ideas. The lack of stopping power in the game is the main reason why it is so great.

Stopping power being included in the game is the sole reason as to why the Retro Lancer is broken in Gears of War 3.

I haven't touched the MP features yet and didn't indulge much in the competitive MP modes in 1, 2, 3 or Judgment on the 360, but I'll tell you my problem with the "chaos of shotgun battles". It shouldn't be a viable long range weapon yet it is. I've emptied clips into rushing shotgunners and gone down before they did. There's something fucked up about that. So I can totally understand others' frustration because I feel it too.

Horde was my jam. When I died in that, I didn't feel like I was being screwed.

Emptied clips of what? Lancer? The Gears 1 Gnasher is the utility weapon. Like Halo 1s Magnum or Halo 2s battle rifle.

Gears 1 is a game about shotguns. It's really a matter of accepting that. Not much else we can tell you. Some people enjoy the punishing difficulty and "bullshit" or feeling "screwed" when you die. When you can get past that and just have fun playing you won't feel that frustration.

It's not for everyone.

M52B28

Banned
Video of bullet magnetism in Gears of War 3, you can shoot near target and still get a hit in that game. I just checked this in split-screen and it seems to me that UE doesn't have bullet magnetism, meaning you need to 100% accurate to land shots.
I was a big player of Gears of War 3, and this is something that I never knew. I guess this is why the game felt so easy.

That's the reason why GoW3 players are having such a rough transition.

pizzacat

Banned
To be quite honest, I really don't feel like digging through my brain, the internet, and the game to get some examples.

Please, for the love of God, don't give the developers ideas. The lack of stopping power in the game is the main reason why it is so great.

Stopping power being included in the game is the sole reason as to why the Retro Lancer is broken in Gears of War 3.
I'm not saying it should be in there. People asking for the lancer to get buffed forget that the pistol exists

It's still good to cross with imo since there's not much of lag shot in there but the lancer is good where it's at.

In other news the lvl 100 surprise is the ability to re-up even though it's on a achievement

But the best part is that you need to unlock all your characters again lmaooo

I'm not saying it should be in there. People asking for the lancer to get buffed forget that the pistol exists

It's still good to cross with imo since there's not much of lag shot in there but the lancer is good where it's at.

In other news the lvl 100 surprise is the ability to re-up even though it's on a achievement

But the best part is that you need to unlock all your characters again lmaooo
You're joking?

bchamba

Very notable differences are the shots going towards the center of your screen in 1 and UE and coming from the end of the barrel in other games. This might be causing some people to think they're aiming directly at somebody when the barrel of the shotgun is point blank on somebody but they don't get the kill.

The lack of stopping power also makes this game much faster and less campy than the others.

Riky

$MSFT
Had no lag at all , game has been butter smooth. The multi-player is still superb and I'm playing with a Lancer.

StillEdge

Do I need to do something special to get all my DLC characters. They aren't popping up and I bought the premium edition whatever it's called.

some wall cover spots on some maps will somehow adjust how much damage you take from bullets, it's something I have never understood and no idea if it's a real glitch or if some cover placements have added protection somehow, but most places I know about are outside of combat hot zones.

not taking damage like that must be a math error when it comes to calculating damage, I've seen it before in gears 1 and have no idea why sometimes someone can eat a shot outside of lagging, but that player is standing still...

see5harp

Yes i know about the spreads, there's been a spread pattern in all the games. I'm not talking about one hit that 'may have missed', i'm talking about shooting my opponent 3-4 times with all hits aimed at their body and blood splatters coming off of him with each hit and they still don't die.

I don't use the lancer up close up, i'm not sure where you got that from. I gave an example of a guy being so far away that even an aimed shotgun shot would only do a few % of damaged, so i switched to the lancer emptied 3/4 of the clip into him and he still didn't die.

Sure it's not as bad as Gears 1 or 2 but by any decent mp lag standard it's bad for me.

The great thing is that you can likely DVR an entire 15 minute match and show us where the lag is causing you to play poorly. Hell, just play execution or warzone and cap your matchups where you shoot a guy 6 times while hard aiming without him going down.

Emptied clips of what? Lancer? The Gears 1 Gnasher is the utility weapon. Like Halo 1s Magnum or Halo 2s battle rifle.
I think the Snub Pistol is the utility weapon in Gears 1. Very underrated, always was.

It has decent range, can down people quickly if accurate, has a very fast reload, easy to blindfire accurately up close and combine it with a melee for easy downs, etc.
Gears 1 is a game about shotguns. It's really a matter of accepting that. Not much else we can tell you. Some people enjoy the punishing difficulty and "bullshit" or feeling "screwed" when you die. When you can get past that and just have fun playing you won't feel that frustration.

It's not for everyone.
You're pretty much on point with what you're arguing in my opinion. People probably look at Gears and think it's as simple as point and shoot like many other 3rd person shooters, but I don't think enough credit is given to just how long people have been playing this franchise and how much depth there is to Gears gameplay.

I suppose it could be more accessible though, which the later games improved upon by making the controls smoother and creating more useful weapons.

Leyasu

Banned

In the beta, you could select what region you played. But it always defaulted to the lowest ping datacenter. Unless they have changed it for the full release, then perhaps it could be your connection fucking up? I haven't bought this yet, but can anyone confirm that they have kept the same system from the beta ( just like titanfalls system )?

I quit the fifth game in a row now.
This matchmaking is a fucking joke.

It looks like this:

Team A

25 (only one remaining, everyone else left)
20 (joining)
18 (joining)
30 (joining)

Team B also has only one player remaining

8 (he is the one remaining, everyone else left the game)
1 (joining)
0 (joining)
5 (joining)

It's always like this. Holy shit, what the hell.

These games are over in less than three minutes. Fun!

Dazzyman

Just finished the campaign, forgot how short the last act is. I cheated and did the last bit on casual as not a fan of it (I have done it all on insane on 3t0 and PC). Will be driving into the rest probably after MGSV now.

I loved every minute of it. I've not been well this last year to game and its got me back into gaming again. 16 times completed now 4 with the extra act as did PC 3 times. Id love them to upgrade all of them to next gen.

10/10 :)

And that's the name of the game. And why Gears 1 was a beautiful mistake with its own following.

Gears 1... all about the shotgun. It's why there's a new mode catered specifically for the gnasher and close quarters. The Coalition knew what Gears 1 fans were all about.

I think gears 1 and maybe splinter cell Pandora s tommorrow were the only two games I've ever enjoyed well being completely terrible at them.

Rocketz

I'm seriously frustrated with the campaign. It sucks to play in the condition it's in. The squad AI and especially Dom are the worst ever in this game. I mention this earlier in this thread but it's the the point now where I just want to finish the campaign and be done with it. It's left a super bad taste in my mouth.

Examples are Dom will almost always rush ahead of you to a position that is his AI has picked. This means he will ignore every enemy on the path there and will regularly be downed in a opened area trying to get to that position. This will cause the enemies then to focus on me and rush my position. This sucks against Theron guards who will shrug off shotgun blasts in extremely close range like it never hit them. Act 5 had been a fucking disaster of with this. I'm playing Hardcore solo and the amount of times I've died to Dom is probably 9/10.

zedge

Campaign was fun looks great too. Tried a few vs games... Nope. Remember why I never liked Gears vs. Players are way to hard core. Not for casuals. I'm lucky if I get one kill. Wish their was a horde mode. :(

I'm probably just going to beat the campaign quickly and sell the game. I've been trying to get into multiplayer but it isn't happening. You get games were the other team is stacked skill wise and I'm just not good enough to compete. It's especially frustrating when you get get a game where somebody is afk or somebody just wanders around shooting at his teammates for the lols.

I've also had a lot of lag and disconnecting problems which I wasn't expecting to happen.

I'm probably just going to beat the campaign quickly and sell the game. I've been trying to get into multiplayer but it isn't happening. You get games were the other team is stacked skill wise and I'm just not good enough to compete. It's especially frustrating when you get get a game where somebody is afk or somebody just wanders around shooting at his teammates for the lols.

I've also had a lot of lag and disconnecting problems which I wasn't expecting to happen.

Just play for fun. It seems like it's the only way to enjoy GOW multiplayer.

see5harp

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Kingwingin/video/8032872

The end of the video where I'm lining up a hard shot but teleport in front of him because of the lag.

Yea that def looks like rubberbanding of some sort. I understand when something like that throws you off and basically you never recover when you realize you are severely outnumbered. I personally haven't seen any of that though. It probably depends on where you live and how far from the servers you are. I'm in California and shit has been perfect.

MaGlock

People need to understand that there are players who have been here for nearly 10 years honing these skills. It didn't happen overnight. Takes a lot of practice to get good at this game.

For those complaining about this game today, it's a good thing some of you werent around for the real dark days of gears.

Like when Gears 1 launched and there was no limit to how many times you could be downed. Resulting in downing the last player over and over and over again cheesing points.

Or when Gears 2 launched and blindfiring the shotgun caused the bullets to fire straight down beside your feet.

Or gears 2s smoke grenades knocking you to ground stunning you. Okay it's dumb but you can deal right? Not if you were on a stairs or any uneven surface. Youd lay there waiting for someone on the other team to wander past you and blast you with the shotgun and put you out of your misery.

Gears UE is the game we needed in 06. Devoid of ridiculous host advantage and awful networking. And that's not even mentioning the glitches in MP like the chainsaw glitch or crab walking.

That lag holds a special place in my heart though. Gibbing the host in a shotty battle felt like taking down a boss in SP. Perfect lag storm haha.UE is the game we deserve but ive lost my shotty, gotta put the time back in.

Servers are automatic in choosing location in this right? because in the halo 5 beta auto server selection would keep giving me overseas connections instead of local and it ruined the game for me.

All main games on xbox live using azure servers should really have a manual selection, like titanfall does.

If gears UE let's you choose then my mistake, I don't have the game yet.

lol
I'll try, but going 1-10 or worse every round is not very enjoyable.

Barely getting 2-3 kills per match or playing a game where your entire team is wiped out in seconds just isn't fun to me.

I know, I'm playing it for the first time, too. It took me 12 hours to get used to the gnasher and the movement, lol. My k/d is 0,67 (it was way worse). And I don't care because the MP has serious issues (matchmaking, afk players, gnasher, hit detection, etc). I'm just enjoying the gameplay (it's fantastic!).

Top Bottom