• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

pizzacat

Banned
There's nothing wrong with the shotgun. If you think there is you couldn't have spent much time on Gears 1 back in the day. Plenty of times you would shoot someone point blank and it wouldn't kill. There is a random spread, just like, you know, an actual shotgun. Landing your shots on target and out maneuvering your enemy is the key to success.

Watch all the whiners make them patch the shotgun and fuck everything up.

People seriously cannot handle the idea they might just be bad at a videogame. This isn't Gears 3 boys, Gears 1 has a brutal learning curve.

Get over it.
It's insane how many times this has been said already lmaoo just quote your other posts at this point people won't listen

Ballistik

Man I feel so bad for those that are new to the game and try the MP. Three people joined the lobby against my team, two of them are level 1 and the other is level 2. They're walking around trying to aim and shoot... they're hopeless. I literally just stood still looking at them walk around the map haha.
I don't think they've taken out the shotgun even once.

The shotgun finally clicked for me today, had a streak of good games. I felt the shotgun was weird at first but the more I played, the better I was at predicting gibs with it. I actually believe it's consistent now but I do hear the complains of those who say otherwise. And I feel it's due to it not feeling natural. It takes time to get used to it because visually it seems like you're landing shots but that center screen aiming is tricky. I played Gears 3 more than probably anyone here so unlearning that took a lot of patience... And mistakes.. And deaths...

vac

Neo Member
http://www.twitch.tv/nick_guns/v/13371479

A new video showing how the gun changes from center screen to barrel shooting

Great video, thanks. Explains why majority of time aim feels like GoW1 but sometimes it feels off.

Also does anyone else think active reloads seem stronger? Getting a lot of 1 shot headshots from miles away with active gnasher.

Couple of changes/fixes I'd like to see:

• Ranked and social should track stats seperately
  • Matchmaking balance is pretty bad. Regularly get 1 sided matches, then everyone on losing team quits > wait ages for new team > process repeats. Teams should auto balance after each match (sure this used to happen in GoW1?)
  • Some issues with collision detection? Few times I've rolled past people and been "rubber banded" back infront of them. Guessing some sort of sync issue with server. Connection otherwise been fine for me so don't think it's lag per se.
  • Look at previous match stats from game lobby
  • Ability to skip the XP screen

Sigmaah

It feels go good to be able to handle 1v2's/3 again. The better player will win and that's what I like to see.

And up close the shotty sometimes feels off and I think maybe the video above explains it? Other then that the game is perfect imo, sponging happens but not often which is amazing. I have yet to play in a laggy match also. Game is smooth as fuck, it really is what I'd imagine gears 1 would be if it wasn't laggy. (as in shots coming out a little after you shoot, same with getting off walls). The sniper is on fucking point in this game too.

Dreams really do come true my friends, let's make this game last a long time.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Played a game yesterday where a guy got the sniper and just destroyed our team. Next round we all rushed it and someone kept hold of it so it wouldn't respawn.

Watching people crumble when you take their toys so satisfying.

also I love that some of the old Gears tricks still work. Like when you're cornered and start using your pistol so they think you've run out of ammo and rush you. silly boy, I had a boomshot.

Hixx

Is the map rotation the same every time? Played about 15-20 games now all on the same 5-6 maps. Only managed to play Clocktower once :((

Ein Bear

Just fired up Gears 2 on my 360 to keep playing the campaigns.

Eeeesh it's hard going back to these visuals after playing Ultimate Edition. Framerate is a bit shit too. It's crazy what a few years can do to games that were considered technically stunning in their day.

Mask

Played this in co-op with my brother last night.

Maybe it's just me, but this has not aged well, even with the upgrades. Probably going to give GoW4 a miss.

pizzacat

Banned
Finally saw a Golden Gear in game. It's just Clayton but golden but the weird thing is that they gave him the lines Mustafa (old spice guy) recorded for Cog Gear and Golden Gear for gears 3

The Flash

Banned

Maybe it's just me, but this has not aged well, even with the upgrades. Probably going to give GoW4 a miss.

You're going to skip Gears 4 because you feel that the remaster/remake of a 9 year old game hasn't aged well?

069.gif

Mask

You're going to skip Gears 4 because you feel that the remaster/remake of a 9 year old game hasn't aged well?

069.gif

They aren't going to change the game up THAT much, unless Gears 4 is completely different. I just think I'm done with the series, and 3 was a decent enough ending to it anyway.

drigosr

So soon to say that....i think you should wait before dismiss it. But it's up to you... :/

Mask

So soon to say that....i think you should wait before dismiss it. But it's up to you... :/

It's more that I'm burned out on cover shooters. Gears just feels kinda generic to me now, and I think I'll probably have had more than enough of it once I've finished the BC games too.

Lothars

I have confirmed my thoughts from the beta that this is just a bad multiplayer game compared to the other games in the series.

It doesn't hold up and hasn't aged well. I am beyond dissapointed in this game and I was a huge gears 1 fan when it came out but I really don't get how anyone at ms thought this was a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with the shotgun. If you think there is you couldn't have spent much time on Gears 1 back in the day. Plenty of times you would shoot someone point blank and it wouldn't kill. There is a random spread, just like, you know, an actual shotgun. Landing your shots on target and out maneuvering your enemy is the key to success.

Watch all the whiners make them patch the shotgun and fuck everything up.

People seriously cannot handle the idea they might just be bad at a videogame. This isn't Gears 3 boys, Gears 1 has a brutal learning curve.

Get over it.
You are right this isn't gears 3 and that's partitally the reason this game is as bad as it is. The shotgun is broken and not in a gears 1 way, it's broken in they need to fix it way.

I remember getting a lot of Gnasher headshots on Gears 1 tho
Nowhere near as frequent as this or some such incredibly far distances. Te headshots make nonsense from some of the ranges at which you can shoot from.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=lzp4KODD_0Y

Another video showing off the broken gnasher. Only 3 pellets missed and he still needed a beatdown
Dumb dumb.

Are there any youtube channels for Gears similar to AliA/Driftor for CoD?
Like Butter

vac

Neo Member
What is this matchmaking. Most people on my team(and I imagine other team) just walk everywhere with lancer, clearly brand new to the game. Most matches I'm sitting on 20 kills and teammates have 6 between them.

3DShovel

I've been playing through the campaign on Insane and I'm realizing how much I love the single player in this game. I typically can't do shooter campaigns but I just love the flow of this game. Also, the art direction helps a lot.

And of course, the multiplayer is just great. A little frustrating when playing by myself, but I'm usually playing with the same buddies I played way back when the original game came out.

Feels good. Glad that this came out. Can't wait for Ultimate Editions of the other Gears games.

I missed the ol' gnasher is broken stuff. It's as Gearsian as the gnasher itself.

Also is anyone playing atm? I'd be willing to play some rounds with anyone.

Special C

I feel bad for me and my buddies roughing up people in Warzone. We figured all the newcomers would hang out in TDM. I Have a 9.5 w/l ratio right now. Its downright idiotic that Warzone is a casual and not competitive mode.

As strong as the nostalgia is for gears 1 MP I honestly think they should have gone the Halo 2 anniversary MP route and included a new MP engine designed for xbox one, even if it means to delay the game I think it would have been better off.

Gears 1 MP just doesn't hold up and has too many rolls of the dice to it, even on servers it still seems to be the case.

This game is going to be used for e-sports right? yeah cool...

I love Gears, have lots of fond memories and am having a blast playing it again. However, this release has solidified my love of Gears 2 and (especially) Gears 3. The game is a balance nightmare. Yes, the shotgun is fun to use, and destroying people with the overpowered beast (when it's not being inconsistent) is super satisfying.

But it'll never be as satisfying as using that weapon in a balanced sandbox where every weapon is useful. The shotgun being a swiss army knife is nowhere near as fun as having to swap weapons on the fly based on cover and proximity to your opponent.

I really hope they don't compromise the integrity of the sandbox by catering to the shotgun in Gears 4. Gears 3 is still the epitome of what Gears should be in my eyes, and I want to see it pushed more in that direction.

As strong as the nostalgia is for gears 1 MP I honestly think they should have gone the Halo 2 anniversary MP route and included a new MP engine designed for xbox one, even if it means to delay the game I think it would have been better off.

Gears 1 MP just doesn't hold up and has too many rolls of the dice to it, even on servers it still seems to be the case.

This game is going to be used for e-sports right? yeah cool...

Doubt it. From reading the comments of the devs it was like "You want Gears 1? Here's Gears 1, warts and all." Now it's plain to see what's better about Gears 3 with the rose-tinted glasses taken off.

Which part? The part where you down somebody about 10 feet away with one shot or the part where you shoot 3 rounds directly into somebody's torso and nothing happens?

The down was fine. They only got 12 points for the kill. Their teammate did a lot of damage to that enemy.

The second wasn't 3 solid shots. The first was from a distance and the second was a complete miss. The third should've got the kill, but I've noticed in a lot of games that if you shoot just before you die your bullets can disappear. I'm guessing that's what happened.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The shit talk in this game/series is still hilarious. Dude runs his mouth about how bad of a team we are (none of us are partied together) and we only won because his team sucked. He proceeded to go 3rd and negative on his team the second match, and when we hit the lobby his teammates were ear fucking him. Lol.

Top Bottom