• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Ein Bear

Have to say, the framerate is single player is disappointing. The first two chapters run great, but the later stages of the game seem to struggle. I'm mid-way through Act 4 at the moment, and performance is pretty terrible.

The MP is a piece of shit right now. FFS.
I shot him in the head, five fucking times....and he turns around and kills me instantly. This shit happens in every match. I'm done. How anyone can defend this is unbelievable.

I shot him in the head, five fucking times....and he turns around and kills me instantly. This shit happens in every match. I'm done. How anyone can defend this is unbelievable.

Get good, son! This game is playing identical to the 2006 version. The shotgun is working just as well for me now as it was then.

Get good, son! This game is playing identical to the 2006 version. The shotgun is working just as well for me now as it was then.

Oh look, a "get good" -answer.

It's broken, there's enough evidence. It's unbalanced and inconsistent. 1 on 1 shotgun battle is like rolling a dice. And no, I got better. I know when it works and when the game shows it's terrible hit detection.

alterno69

Banned
I was going to buy the physical veraion but i noticed i had 60usd on my live account after purchssing Life is strange and went digital. The download is taking fucking forever and it keeps canceling, the wait is killing me.

E92 M3

Sounds like NaCl unless you have video footage to back this claim up?

I'm not saying that the shotgun doesn't work. It works most of the time. But this is a team game. If you can't kill the guy in front of you with five headshots and he kills you and your teammate....it's not cool.

OrangeOak

Come on now. It is close but for sure it is not identical.
I don't say it's bad though because I really love it but there are things that are better then before and there are some bad changes too.

Marvel

could never
2bCfFcF.gif

Mmmhm, still got it baby.

Tawpgun

Gears won't fkn download for me what gives. It was stuck on 1%. Deleted and reinstalled now it won't budge off "installing..."

Just finishing up Act IV and am incredibly happy. It feels great to play. It's got that buttery smooth feel of Gears of War 3 with the weight of the original Gears of War.

They've done the original game and it's developers proud.

Just finishing up Act IV and am incredibly happy. It feels great to play. It's got that buttery smooth feel of Gears of War 3 with the weight of the original Gears of War.

I think maybe you should play Gears 3 again. This is not as smooth and refined as that, it's a barely tweaked Gears 1. Just as stiff as it always was.

I think maybe you should play Gears 3 again. This is not as smooth and refined as that, it's a barely tweaked Gears 1. Just as stiff as it always was.

I've played all three (1 and 3 in particular) for years. It retains the weight of the original Gears of War but definitely feels smoother than it did in 2006 and more inline with Gears of War 3.

The Coalition said they cleaned up the cover system a little bit and you can tell.

It's broken, there's enough evidence. It's unbalanced and inconsistent. 1 on 1 shotgun battle is like rolling a dice. And no, I got better. I know when it works and when the game shows it's terrible hit detection.

It's comments like these that really piss me off. I love this game, and when people make baseless claims like this, potentially turning people new to the series off to it, I get a little bit offended.

Shotgun battles are not a roll of the dice at all. When you get killed, it's because you missed your target, and your opponent hit his.

A few videos taken during lag spikes do not constitute evidence by any objective standpoint.

pizzacat

Banned

Nah this is the same Gears 1 dude

Screenshot-Original.png

especially when the same cowboy glitch is in

It's comments like these that really piss me off. I love this game, and when people make baseless claims like this, potentially turning people new to the series off to it, I get a little bit offended.

Shotgun battles are not a roll of the dice at all. When you get killed, it's because you missed your target, and your opponent hit his.

A few videos taken during lag spikes do not constitute evidence by any objective standpoint.

Okay.

Nah this is the same Gears 1 dude

Screenshot-Original.png

especially when the same cowboy glitch is in

Just to clarify:

I'm not saying it feels like Gears of War 3. I'm saying cover is less sticky and with the addition of omnidirectional evading it brings it more inline with the functionality of Gears of War 3.

It does both of the above at a more stable framerate.

Overall it feels smoother and more playable than the original.

I've played all three (1 and 3 in particular) for years. It retains the weight of the original Gears of War but definitely feels smoother than it did in 2006 and more inline with Gears of War 3.

The Coalition said they cleaned up the cover system a little bit and you can tell.

So have I. They tweaked it a little, but this is nowhere close to Gears 3.

Ein Bear

No game has ever had better credits music than Gears 1.

What a great remake this was, really enjoyed it. The new visuals and art style are fantastic, and I'd completely forgotten about the added campaign content from the PC version, so that was a great little surprise when I got to it. Gears 1 really holds up well, the campaign is really well-paced and has some great encounters.

Shame the framerate is a bit rough though. Hope they iron that out with a patch.

You can easily record videos on Xbox, so why don't you post some and let's all have a discussion about what's happening. Maybe you're doing something wrong, maybe it's the lag, maybe something else, but we'll never know until you provide something to show.

You can't blame people for not immediately giving precedence to what you're saying when their experiences are in complete contrast to yours.

So have I. They tweaked it a little, but this is nowhere close to Gears 3.

As I explained above - I think it feels more inline with Gears of War 3 than the original did thanks to a better framerate, omnidirectional evading and a cleaned up cover system.

However, they feel totally different. Gears of War 3 is still king but it doesn't feel like I'm stepping back nine years either.

Ein Bear

It's a shame they couldn't get backwards compatibility for the other games ready in time for launch. I'm tempted to hook my 360 up so I can barrel straight into Gears 2 & 3.

Syriel

I'm a preview member. Anyone have any idea how i download the original version for backward compatibility ?

If you already own the original Gears of War then you either need to insert the disc (assuming you own it on disc) or go to the "Ready to Install" list (assuming you own it digitally) and select it there.

If you don't already own it, then you'll have to wait until MS sends out entitlements for the four Xbox 360 games when BC officially launches, just like the promo said.

watdaeff4

Have made it through the first 4 Acts. What a game. Haven't played it since it first game out on the 360 (and haven't played any Gears since 2 first came out). Due to that and the work they did, this is like a whole new game to me.

I dropped this franchise after 2, but looking forward to getting 3 and judgement in a few months to play through for the first time. Hopefully 4 will bring the goods as well.

As far as MP, I think I've noticed some of the complaints on here about hit detection, but I've attributed it so far that I am just a noob at Gears MP (and that I suck in MP games in general)

You can easily record videos on Xbox, so why don't you post some and let's all have a discussion about what's happening. Maybe you're doing something wrong, maybe it's the lag, maybe something else, but we'll never know until you provide something to show.

You can't blame people for not immediately giving precedence to what you're saying when their experiences are in complete contrast to yours.

I don't record videos on my xbox one. Hell, I don't even know how you do this, lol. I just play games. It's not lag. Matches are smooth. I don't blame anyone, He blames me. I believe what I see and I just noticed problems.

I don't record videos on my xbox one. Hell, I don't even know how you do this, lol. I just play games. It's not lag. Matches are smooth. I don't blame anyone, He blames me. I believe what I see and I just noticed problems.
  • Double tap the Xbox button then press X to record.
  • Say "Xbox record that" if you have a Kinect.
And sure you may think you're seeing one thing in the heat of the moment, but it might not be what it seems. Sometimes watching our footage after we think the game faulted us proves that we are the ones who either messed up or don't know how something works.

• Double tap the Xbox button then press X to record.
  • Say "Xbox record that" if you have a Kinect.
And sure you may think you're seeing one thing in the heat of the moment, but it might not be what it seems. Sometimes watching our footage after we think the game faulted us proves that we are the ones who either messed up or don't know how something works.

I'm pretty sure. There was a guy hiding behind sandbags and he didn't see me coming from behind. I shot five times (head) and you could see the blood effects (so I hit him). He turns around and kills me instantly. This happened for the second time today. :/

All I'm saying is that if anyone make the claim that the game is broken, the burden of proof is on them. Until you can produce sufficient evidence, don't post things like 'the shotgun is a roll of the diece'.

Eos

This is exactly like how it was in Gears 1. If you weren't good at gears 1, you obviously won't be good at the remaster. so yes, you have to "get good".

This is exactly like how it was in Gears 1. If you weren't good at gears 1, you obviously won't be good at the remaster. so yes, you have to "get good".

But how do you get good at something that is unbalanced and inconsistent? Honest question, ;)

Never played GOW 1 btw.

Eos

But how do you get good at something that is unbalanced and inconsistent? Honest question, ;)

Never played GOW 1 btw.

that's why. it is not unbalanced and inconsistent. in gears 1, the shot ALWAYS goes to the center of the screen. When you're shooting someone, imagine the bullets going a bit over the right shoulder of the character.

that's why. it is not unbalanced and inconsistent. in gears 1, the shot ALWAYS goes to the center of the screen. When you're shooting someone, imagine the bullets going a bit over the right shoulder of the character.

But that's not the case in GOW U (as far as I know). It's center screen AND barrel, depending on range?
I don't know. It just doesn't feel right.

Shock

Banned
Shotgun doesn't seem broken to me... hit detection being shitty is how it was in Gears 1.... it is a Gears 1 remake...

wowzors

Matchmaking is very poor. I know people are saying the number isn't a skill indicator but if I'm 2 going against a team of 25-35s they have played the game more than the one match I have. It's really off putting for multiplayer

Top Bottom